As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun (+Firestorm) Now Free To Download!

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
masthead.jpg
boxart-game1.jpg

Hey guys, remember how EA released Tiberian Dawn for free?

Then they released Red Alert 1 for free?

Well now, it seems this is now a 'thing' they're doing. so now this year we're getting Tiberian Sun and it's expansion Firestorm for free!

Download it here:

http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

then follow the install instructions here:

http://na.llnet.cnc3tv.ea.com/u/f/eagames/cnc3/cnc3tv/TibSunFreeware_install.html

(no CD burning or mounting required to play).

And proceed to play the fuck out of the game.
How I play online
TO PLAY TIBERIAN SUN ONLINE:

*Due to the legacy and maintenance of the Westwood Online servers, we cannot guarantee successful online play.
*Online play is hosted and run by XWIS at http://www.strike-team.net. Please refer to their site for trouble-shooting.

1. Please make sure the "EA Games" folder has been unzipped to your C:\Program Files directory

2. Double-click "tibsun_regadd". You will get a successful registry update message.

3. In the "Internet" folder, double-click the "registerWOL.exe" batch file, this will correct your DLL files, click the successful message twice

***If you do not complete the above steps exactly, you will likely get a crash error or "missing online library" error

4. Click "Play Tiberian Sun" shortcut or Game.exe to boot the game up

5. At the Main Menu click Internet. After a series of messages you will be at the username creation screen.

6. CRITICAL - create any username and create a password that MUST BE 8 characters in length, You do not need to click "new account"

7. Select your country location and desired server, then hit OK

8. You should be taken to the main online lobby where you can join/create games if users are online

***Please note, maintenance and moderation of the Tiberian Sun online servers is handled strictly by XWIS at http://www.strike-team.net
Notes For Windows 7 and Vista

* Missing DLL error? Reinstalled, ran the .BAT and .REG file and still getting an error? You will need to run the program as administrator. It doesn't matter if your account is an administrator, you'll need need to run it. Right Click -> Run as Admin on it's shortcut, or go to the shortcut properties and edit it so that it always launches as administrator.

* the .BAT in the instructions not working for you? Type "Command Prompt" into your start menu. Right click "Command Prompt" in the results and run as administrator. Then type the following:
  • cd C:\
  • cd Program Files
  • cd EA GAMES
  • cd comman~1
  • cd internet
  • regsvr32 WOLAPI.dll
  • regsvr32 WOLBrowser.dll

This will manually register the DLLs for you. Replace C:\ if you installed Windows elsewhere.
How I make account?

Click "Internet". Type your wanted username into the login box. Type an 8 character password (MUST BE 8) as your password. Hit login. Do not go to "new account". It won't work.
How I get bigger res in Windows 7/Vista?

Type "Notepad" into your start menu. Right click Notepad and hit Run As Administrator.

Go to your Tib Sun directory from this install. By default it is
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer(tm) Tiberian Sun(tm)\SUN

and open SUN.INI with Notepad (you might have to change the open file type dropdown to 'All Files').

Look for a section that says
[Video]
ScreenWidth=800
ScreenHeight=600
StretchMovies=no

Change the width and height to your desktop resolution's width and height, or something that matches the ratio. The game does NOT scale it's graphics up to your resolution, it just draws more of the map. So the tradeoff is bigger res, but your units become harder to see and the build bar becomes smaller.

I suggest keeping "StretchMovies" to "no" because the codec for Tiberian Sun does not hold up well to anything above 800x600. They'll just run with black borders, which is good enough.

If you are on Windows XP you do not need to run Notepad as an administrator. You only need to do it for Vista/7 due to the sandboxing of /Program Files.

What the hell are all these lobby options?

Allies allowed: If off, alliances are not allowed at all. By default it is off. If on, press "A" on a unit to ally with that person. They must ally with you in return, though. You cannot ally with AI because they will never reciprocate.

Harvester Truce: Makes harvesters unkillable. Great for new players, or people that just want it on. Fun fact: this was actually done on the honor system at launch, and it was used so often that Westwood actually patched it into the engine later on.

Bases: Allows bases to be built. By default it is on. When off, you just have to win with the units you start with.

Re-deployable MCV: Makes it so you can tell your MCV to move and it will unpack and move. By default this is off.

Fog of War: When turned on, makes it so that if you don't have a unit actively in an area, it will become hidden after a bit of time, just like Starcraft.

Bridges Destroyable: Determines whether bridges can be blowed up.

Crates: Determines if crates appear on the map. Crates can contain money, upgrades, or a bomb (which will kill the unit that picks it up)

Short Game: Makes it so that you only have to wipe out the enemy buildings to defeat them. If this is off, you have to go hunt down all of their units to end the game/defeat them.

Multi-engineer: Changes the game from one engineer to capture a building to a RA1-style capture where you must send multiple engis into a building to weaken it before they can capture it.

FyreWulff on

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wonder if multiplayer still works, or did the ability to do so go down the pan with Westwood?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    awesome, i never played firestorm, but free sounds like the right price

Joolander on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is this the one with the GDI mechs and the night missions?

emnmnme on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Wonder if multiplayer still works, or did the ability to do so go down the pan with Westwood?

Another company took it over. It's outlined in the instructions, but it boils down to the fact that all the Westwood Online games will just auto-make you a new account when you sign in.
    TO PLAY TIBERIAN SUN ONLINE:

*Due to the legacy and maintenance of the Westwood Online servers, we cannot guarantee successful online play.
    *Online play is hosted and run by XWIS at http://www.strike-team.net. Please refer to their site for trouble-shooting.

1. Please make sure the "EA Games" folder has been unzipped to your C:\Program Files directory

2. Double-click "tibsun_regadd". You will get a successful registry update message.

3. In the "Internet" folder, double-click the "registerWOL.exe" batch file, this will correct your DLL files, click the successful message twice

***If you do not complete the above steps exactly, you will likely get a crash error or "missing online library" error

5. At the Main Menu click Internet. After a series of messages you will be at the username creation screen.

6. CRITICAL - create any username and create a password that MUST BE 8 characters in length, You do not need to click "new account"

8. You should be taken to the main online lobby where you can join/create games if users are online

***Please note, maintenance and moderation of the Tiberian Sun online servers is handled strictly by XWIS at http://www.strike-team.net

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Is this the one with the GDI mechs and the night missions?

Yep, AKA the best.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "TO PLAY TIBERIAN SUN ONLINE:

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
    edited February 2010
    Neat.

mere_immortal on
    edited February 2010
    Also remember you can grab the map editor (named Final Sun) at various sites

I usually used this one

http://www.cncden.com/ts_downloads.shtml

edit: I like how the promo clip for Tib Sun on that site is the best cutscene in Tiberian Sun

FyreWulff on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wasn't there another one called SunEdit2K or something

Dhalphir on
    edited February 2010
    It would have been the same program. There was a community made one. Westwood adopted it and renamed it for official release.

edit: I remember it because it also works for RA2, and Westwood had the author remove tunnel support from RA2 maps because even though it's in the engine, they didn't officially support it. After releasing it officially for RA2, the author later released an update under the original name with tunnel support added back in

FyreWulff on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember mucking around with SunEdit to change vehicle stats and all that jazz.

Dhalphir on
    edited February 2010
    Updated the OP with some info.

FyreWulff on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone else getting a missing DLL error when you try to launch the game? Exact error is

"One more more DLL files are missing. Please reinstall the game or try again"

Waffles or whatever on
    edited February 2010
    Did you run tibsun_regadd.reg and registerWOL.bat ?

Did you then proceed to run Tiberian Sun as administrator?

FyreWulff on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The run as administrator thing is what fixed it for me.

Jealous Deva on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay I am trying to get this game working for online but when I run the registerWOL batch file it gives an error saying:
    The module "WOLAPI.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80020009.

Googling gives me nothing and running as an administrator doesn't work at all. Anybody else running into this problem? I'm using Vista 64-bit

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Okay I am trying to get this game working for online but when I run the registerWOL batch file it gives an error saying:
    The module "WOLAPI.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80020009.

Googling gives me nothing and running as an administrator doesn't work at all. Anybody else running into this problem? I'm using Vista 64-bit

For Windows 7 (not sure if it'll work for vista) I right clicked and clicked the troubleshoot compatibility option and it told me that I needed to run the game using Service Pack 2. It auto fixed it and now works for me.

Waffles or whatever on
    edited February 2010
    Nevermind I should have read the op more carefully.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Well it turns out all the trouble I went to to get this thing to work and the online service fucking blows.

After downloading this game getting it to work I spent like 4 hours trying to un-fuck my computer. It made all my Steam games crash once loaded and at one point it started using heinous amounts of memory. I have 6 Gigs of RAM and it was using all of that plus pagefiling 15 fucking gigabytes off of my hard-drive.

After I fixed all those issues my friends and I got on to enjoy some good old fashioned RTS fun, only to find that no matter who was hosting the game would not load for everyone else. At one point it actually managed to get two of us into the game, but the other two couldn't connect and so they dropped out and the game ended.

So not only was it a spectacular waste of time but in the end it didn't even fucking work.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    The people it didn't load for are probably behind a closed NAT or somesuch. If they have a full red bar in the lobby, the game is more than likely not going to work.

I tried to play with somebody that was trying to play this from behind EA's corporate firewall. He could see a green ping on me, but I saw full red bar for him, and we wouldn't see each other load the map and it would eventually drop the other guy and replace him with a computer.

also I don't know how a .rar fucked up your computer. The only thing this release does is register two DLLs for it's online and add it's CDkey to the registry so that your bases don't blow up a minute into the game.

FyreWulff on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good, so they'll have RA2 next year? One can hope, I can't keep buying/losing TFD.

Mechanical on
    edited February 2010
    One would assume.

2008: Tib Dawn
    2009: Red Alert + Counterstrike
    2010: Tib Sun + Firestorm
    2011: Red Alert 2 + Yuri
    2012: Renegade?
    2013: Generals
    2014: C&C3
    2015: Red Alert 3

FyreWulff on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tiberian Sun was pretty much unplayable in single player. The computers number of instructions scaled with the game speed so on fastest the computer got the GDI's laser cannon in 2-3 minutes.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited February 2010
    Ha ha, yeah. Don't ever play against the computer on highest speed. You spending 10 seconds on what to do means they've already made like 20 build decisions.

They also get a jump start on you because their bases start pre-built.

FyreWulff on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    "Get me McNeil."

Ran at Windows 98, that did it.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    It's still awesome how fast maps load now. I remember playing this when it came out - I was still using a Win95 Packard Bell with 32MB of RAM. You could make a sandwich in the time it took maps to load..

FyreWulff on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hahaha yeah, back then the game data was all raw text that had to be parsed every time a map loaded. Great for tweaking stuff, terrible for load times. That pipeline lasted all the way up through Battle for Middle Earth 2.

zilo on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God I loved modding the early C&C games.

Arrath on
  • moessmoess Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    hello,

i downloaded TS and firestorm.When i try to log in it sais, Tiberian Sun has encountered and internal error and cant continue normally and then it shuts down.
    I did the steps whit the regedit and the Registerwol.

Can some1 help me:?

moess on
    edited February 2010
    Are you running as admin?

Also: anyone want to get together a GAME ON night for this? At least a compstomp?

The only downside to these releases is that you don't get to see the cool installers anymore..

FyreWulff on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hammerfest.

That is all.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • moessmoess Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Also: anyone want to get together a GAME ON night for this? At least a compstomp?

The only downside to these releases is that you don't get to see the cool installers anymore..

I tried to run as admin but it didnt worked. Tiberian Sun always crashes when i try to log in on internet. with the message: tiberian sun has encoutered a problem and vant continue normally.

moess on
  • TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Using the stuff in the OP is it possible to get Tiberian Dawn work online?

It was the first 'PvP' RTS experience I had and I want to get back in on it.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember liking this a lot back in the day. Was this the one where you could put a bunch of guys in buildings and take over the ruined cities? That was good times.

edit: I see that it was. Will definitely give this a download and create some very heavily armed squatter communities.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    moess wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I tried to run as admin but it didnt worked. Tiberian Sun always crashes when i try to log in on internet. with the message: tiberian sun has encoutered a problem and vant continue normally.

Yep, I'm having the same problem.

Running as Admin, did the .dll stuff in cmd.exe as Admin, when I try to connect to a server the game crashes. Bah.

Running Windows 7...

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I remember liking this a lot back in the day. Was this the one where you could put a bunch of guys in buildings and take over the ruined cities? That was good times.

edit: I see that it was. Will definitely give this a download and create some very heavily armed squatter communities.

You couldn't garrison buildings with guys, that was first in Red Alert 2.

Arrath on