As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows Phone 7: It's not terrible!

a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
This is Windows Phone 7:
02-15-10winphone2.jpg

It's kind of a big deal, and it looks like a real game-changer in the mobile space. First phones due out at the end of the year.

Intro Video.
MS says it's a complete break from Windows Mobile (hence the name change), and no old WinMo apps will work. This probably isn't a bad thing considering the quality of most WinMo apps. MS is also setting much stricter guidelines with regards to hardware.

MSDN has released a 22-minute walk through of the whole OS.

500x_xboxlivephone.jpg
Also, XBox Live integration - you can do anything you'd do on your 360 or Xbox.com, and WP7 games will have achievements that show up in your XBL account. With the hardware requirements, this is your "XBox portable" gaming system.

500x_windowsphone7peoplehub.jpg
All the expected cloud features - photos and contacts are synced OTA, along with tight Facebook integration - if you put a person's contact on the home screen, you'll see their latest status updates there.

500x_windowsphon7musicvideohub.jpg
The Music + Video section is the Zune software. You sync music and movies to your PC with the Zune software - all other info is done OTA.

500x_officephone.jpg
More pics of the email and office apps coming later - in the long run, this may kill RIM.

Engadget hands-on.

No hardware details yet, but all the major carriers are on board (AT&T is the "premier" partner in the US....) along with all the big hardware makers (and I'd bet big money that HTC made the prototype).

a5ehren on

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how much data plans will cost for this. Will they be cheaper since more carriers will have it?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That pic looks completely unbalanced and totally stupid. Is it a bad photoshop or is that really what they're going for?

Rook on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rook wrote: »
    That pic looks completely unbalanced and totally stupid. Is it a bad photoshop or is that really what they're going for?

I added a video to the OP to give you a better idea.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had completely given up on Windows Mobile since I felt they should just scrap the whole thing, and start again. Of course, they'd never do that since it'd be crazy.

Then they did.

It'll be really interesting to see how Apple and Google react.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ohhh...this looks nice. I'll be looking at this for my next phone, Zune and Xbox Live, very nice. Seems to have a very nice layout as well, not the standard 4x4 icons that so many other phones have...I'm looking forward to it.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Godamn you, Microsoft. Ever since the ZuneHD came out, I've been saying I would totally buy a Zune phone.

And then less than 1 month after I buy a new Android phone, you announce one.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow. Consider me interested! This looks amazing and really is going to change the marketplace I think. I'm glad they decided to completely break from previous WinMo and start fresh considering that they are competing with new systems like iPhone and Android. The XBox and Zune integration is huge as well, now that I have a 360 and I love my Zune.

First and biggest question on my mind: Can it run apps from an expansion card? I either want to see some great storage capacities on the new phones (which would make sense with the Zune integration - 8GB minimum and see phones with up to 64 would be awesome) or the ability to add my own storage with microSDXC cards that can run apps and obviously music and video.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe it's the Zune HD fan in me, but I'm totally down with what I'm seeing there, and the release will fall around the time my current contract is up, so depending on how Android phones are looking by the end of the year, I may do what I thought I would never do again and pick up an MS based phone.

That depends entirely on the carriers getting the phones of course. Apparently during the presentation they stated that their main initial partner would be AT&T. -_-

Aoi on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My phone contract is up in roughly a year, So some of these phones should out by then. I'm excited. MS has a year to fine tune this stuff before it comes out so it will be even better by then. Google, Apple and Palm all have time to improve as well. So I will probably likely have a ton of sweet phones to choose from. I love competition.

Smurph on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hopefully some of the applications and stuff for this will trickle back down to the Zune HD. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WOW. I loove it. I already bought a Zune HD, unfortunately, but the great thing is that this comes out when my 2 yr contract ends and I can get it from ANY carrier (And I will definitely NOT care if I have to leave shit-att). Zune software + Phone with Data + Zune Pass = Marketplace BLISS

Thank you MS!

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The interface and animation here are just gorgeous. I'm not sure if it's going to pry me away from Android quite yet (I think the app store situation + internal storage really will determine whether I just get a Zune HD or this), but I love what they're doing here. It's amazing how the smartphone OS wars are developing lately.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks slick, is there confirmation yet on whether or not winmo7 ditched multitasking?

I wonder what the hardware requirements are as laid out by MS. I hope the xbox live integration also means you get some good games for it, as gamerscore/achievements are one of my absolutely least favourite things about the xbox.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This seems ok for the mass market but looks like it will suck to use for the business market which a lot of previous win mo phones sold towards.

Lets hope the first 7 series phones don't fall for the mistake the first android phones had using really outdated hardware that didn't do the OS justice.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They'll (hopefully) base the first phones on hardware similar to what the Zune HD is on (Nvidia Tegra), which should provide tons of power. Possibly Tegra 2.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If this comes out in 32gb, I will ditch android.

I've been with Zune since Gen2 and I couldn't be more happy about the integration. My PC, Zune and 360? Yes fucking please.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    This seems ok for the mass market but looks like it will suck to use for the business market which a lot of previous win mo phones sold towards.

Lets hope the first 7 series phones don't fall for the mistake the first android phones had using really outdated hardware that didn't do the OS justice.

Well, they already have that covered on the Zune HD side of things. The hardware in that little device is pretty hefty, with a really nice graphics chip.

Though to be honest, the severe lat of even attempting app support on the poor little device makes me wonder about support for the phone.

And yeah, some of that interface stuff would work perfectly over on the Zune HD. I'll be interesting, with MS's past support of the Zune platform, to see if some of those less connected features get carried over.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

This needs to be in the OP. I'm watching it right now and it looks great!

As far as business use, all they really need is good Exchange support, keyboards (virtual or physical), and Office integration, which it so far looks like they have it all set there. The customizable home screen can really allow people to customize it however they want - calendar, e-mail, phone for business use, phone, facebook/twitter, Zune for personal use, just as a quick thought.

Wow that calendar looks nice and super-simplistic. I hope it handles multiple sources better than my Blackberry does though. I could never get my Blackberry to play nice with syncing both with my BES and Gmail.

UI color considerations for both OLED and LED screens. Nice. I really like how they seem to be thinking through everything.

I'm REALLY curious though what the required specs are though.

Holy cow that virtual keyboard was fast! Auto-correction as well, though not perfect.

I like where they are going with a single point for everything. Rather than an app for Facebook, Twitter, Flikr, etc, you go into Status and update it everywhere, go into photos and see them from each location automatically. Plus apps can be written to add more functionality if needed. I want one.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I put a link in the OP, but I can't embed Silverlight videos.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just finished watching the video and the thread title is about right. It's still early, but what I have seen so far doesn't impress. There is far too much emphasis on integrating social networking and MS centric services.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    I just finished watching the video and the thread title is about right. It's still early, but what I have seen so far doesn't impress. There is far too much emphasis on integrating social networking and MS centric services.

Far too much? It takes up a single tile on the home screen. That, and it makes sense considering that Facebook and especially Twitter integration into most mobile platforms have become a pretty big feature for a lot of people.

Aoi on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It takes up a single tile, but its integrated into nearly every aspect of the phone's software. That can also be seen as a positive, but I have no interest in an os that is tailored for social networking. In the 22 minute preview, they barely touched on any functionality outside its scope. They are keeping some things close to the vest as it is still a beta build on a prototype phone, but it would have been nice to at least know about integration features for their business products, whether it can multitask(not looking good), etc... Some of the ui metaphors and the design around the aggregation of information are interesting. I just think that the current focus on social networking is limiting

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They'll (hopefully) base the first phones on hardware similar to what the Zune HD is on (Nvidia Tegra), which should provide tons of power. Possibly Tegra 2.

*fingers crossed*. This would be awesome, and MS would have enough clout to see some great game development done on their mobile platform, I think.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As they said many times in the presentation "the phone is not a PC". The phone is a communication device, and what MS has brought to the table here is an effort to streamline your communication, to keep in touch with your friends & associates across multiple mediums quickly. I'm curious what you think a phone ought to be centered on besides that. Sure, apps are nice, but that's just something we don't know much about yet besides the integrated Pandora app in the music player. It's way too early to assume anything about this OS.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ego wrote: »

*fingers crossed*. This would be awesome, and MS would have enough clout to see some great game development done on their mobile platform, I think.

I would have thought so too, and with the big business that the iPhone/touch has taken in gamingwise, I would have expected the same thing, or even something remotely similar with the Zune HD. That being said, the support has been pretty non-existent with the Zune with a few slick looking exceptions.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Phones might not be PCs, but they can still be competent gaming platforms. Like, I find it much more preferable to carry around a phone than a phone + DS, as a gamer.

I admit I mostly want it to happen because social networking doesn't appeal to me (on xbox live or anywhere else,) but additional time wasters on phones do.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So since it has Zune integration, I wonder if it'll be able to play songs from the Zune pass.

Fuck, make it so I can use the Zune pass on this thing through 3G and it'll definately get more than just a second look from me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why wouldn't it?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So since it has Zune integration, I wonder if it'll be able to play songs from the Zune pass.

Fuck, make it so I can use the Zune pass on this thing through 3G and it'll definately get more than just a second look from me.

Yes, it can. That channel9 video demonstrated that a Zune Pass holder basically has the entirety of musical interwebs in their pocket to be demanded instantly like a technological god. This makes the iPhone look embarrassingly quaint.

I will buy two this Christmas. One for me and one for the pre-wife. It's going to be a loooong wait. :?

El Guaco on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As they said many times in the presentation "the phone is not a PC". The phone is a communication device, and what MS has brought to the table here is an effort to streamline your communication, to keep in touch with your friends & associates across multiple mediums quickly. I'm curious what you think a phone ought to be centered on besides that. Sure, apps are nice, but that's just something we don't know much about yet besides the integrated Pandora app in the music player. It's way too early to assume anything about this OS.

The way the presentation sounded and the quote "the phone is not a PC" is quite a negative for fans of previous Windows mobile devices who wanted exactly that -a truly mobile PC, especially Business users who would choose a Windows mobile 6 or 6.5 phone over a blackberry or iphone simply for the PC use.

This is not to say the OS doesn't have positives, personally i think this is the first phone with an ease of use OS that beats OSX mobile and looks far better for the average phone consumer. And with the hopeful promise of Zune Pass integration would be a real blow to what Apple currently have (and considering how lazy Apple have been getting with new products and/or updates of late).

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm going to stand up and be the first one to say I am not impressed. I can't really be the only one, can I?

It's just terrible usability. I love the zune, I like the panoramas in general, but the main screen itself is just awful.

They're wasting a ton of usable space. Mixing bi-colour icons (that aren't very distinct, btw) with full-colour ones. Then they're huge, taking up so much space that only SEVEN functions are available on the home screen that they show us. It also looks completely scatterbrained and disorganized.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think that the phone should NOT be a PC. A phone is a gadget with some utility value. Squishing a PC-like experience into a mobile device is a mistake. The only people who want that are nerds (I use the term lovingly here). Regular people want a great phone that does cool stuff that is useful to them. If you really want a mobile PC, then a netbook is a better fit. Retrieve my calendar agenda? Cool. Update a Word doc or a spreadsheet in a Excel? Not so much. The mobile device is the perfect platform for interacting with "the cloud" to get information I need right now to make my life simpler.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    So I'm going to stand up and be the first one to say I am not impressed. I can't really be the only one, can I?

It's just terrible usability. I love the zune, I like the panoramas in general, but the main screen itself is just awful.

They're wasting a ton of usable space. Mixing bi-colour icons (that aren't very distinct, btw) with full-colour ones. Then they're huge, taking up so much space that only SEVEN functions are available on the home screen that they show us. It also looks completely scatterbrained and disorganized.

You're not the only one...I think the UI looks like a confusing mess. I HATE the "text cut off on the sides" look. There's so much animation, too. Are you telling me you want to wait and see the animation EVERY time you open an app?

The other problem: this doesn't hit for 10 months. 10 MONTHS! The market could be completely different by then...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's pretty amazing the kind of hyperbole Gizmodo is putting out there about this.

http://gizmodo.com/5472222/windows-phone-7-series-hands+on-pics-and-video
    No matter who you root for, to be anything short of impressed is stupid.

http://gizmodo.com/5472010/windows-phone-7-interface-microsoft-has-out+appled-apple
    I'm sorry, Cupertino, but Microsoft has nailed it. Windows Phone 7 feels like an iPhone from the future. The UI has the simplicity and elegance of Apple's industrial design, while the iPhone's UI still feels like a colorized Palm Pilot.

http://gizmodo.com/5471805/windows-phone-7-series-everything-is-different-now
    The mobile picture is now officially a three-way dance: Apple, Google, and Microsoft. The same people who dominate desktop computing. Everybody else is screwed.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks good to me. however, coming from a Blackberry Storm, anything looks good.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zune Pass on a phone is super, super compelling. I don't know why they didn't do this ages ago.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'd be pretty excited to have a constant data connection on my Zune...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »

The home screen scrolls vertically and you're supposedly able to put anything you want on the home screen - I assume this means you can rearrange it also. I like the way it looks, but I assume that it's going to be tweaked some before it comes out.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really like the layout in the music/email/calendar "hubs", but I can't say that I'm too sold on that homescreen. Still, though, this is a pretty exciting step in the smartphone arena. Any word on which carriers this is headed to, or when we can expect to see devices shipping with this?

Stupid thing comes out mid-contract for me. Either wait 10 months for a new phone, or don't pick up one of these for 2 years. Blarg!

rndmhero on