Options

Windows Phone 7: It's not terrible!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I really like the layout in the music/email/calendar "hubs", but I can't say that I'm too sold on that homescreen. Still, though, this is a pretty exciting step in the smartphone arena. Any word on which carriers this is headed to, or when we can expect to see devices shipping with this?

Stupid thing comes out mid-contract for me. Either wait 10 months for a new phone, or don't pick up one of these for 2 years. Blarg!

Carriers: Pretty much all of them. The slide they had showed all of the major US carriers, and most of the European ones I've heard of.

Availability: They're saying "Holiday 2010", so I'm guessing end of November.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wonder if any software the phones come with will work on Macs.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Supposedly the only thing you can sync it with is Zune Software, so nope... everything else is OTA.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Supposedly the only thing you can sync it with is Zune Software, so nope... everything else is OTA.

I could have sworn I saw that cloud thing for office in the mobile office slides, and I seriously doubt that it'll lack the ability to sync with the usual address/date-book sources, that'd be featurephone dumb.

I do find those gizmodo quotes pretty funny, since outside of tuaw or the like, they're one of the worst about knocking something down because it has even the slightest connection to windows (mobile)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It syncs music, video, and photos with Zune software, but not ONLY the Zune software. He mentions that they use the ActiveSync protocol, so I'm sure anything that has ActiveSync built into it would be updated to work with WinPhone7. It also pulls a lot from the cloud, ala e-mail, photos, etc (and with a Zune Pass and Marketplace connectivity over cell - you wouldn't even really need the Zune Software to pull music from your computer since you could download it direct).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's pretty amazing the kind of hyperbole Gizmodo is putting out there about this.

http://gizmodo.com/5472222/windows-phone-7-series-hands+on-pics-and-video
    No matter who you root for, to be anything short of impressed is stupid.

http://gizmodo.com/5472010/windows-phone-7-interface-microsoft-has-out+appled-apple
    I'm sorry, Cupertino, but Microsoft has nailed it. Windows Phone 7 feels like an iPhone from the future. The UI has the simplicity and elegance of Apple's industrial design, while the iPhone's UI still feels like a colorized Palm Pilot.

http://gizmodo.com/5471805/windows-phone-7-series-everything-is-different-now
    The mobile picture is now officially a three-way dance: Apple, Google, and Microsoft. The same people who dominate desktop computing. Everybody else is screwed.

At least two of their writers has hailed this as the "Future of handheld gaming" and acted as though this was the deathknell for the DS and PSP (which are "THE PAST")

As much as I like my iPhone games, there's no way I can concede that buttonless, touchscreen-only gaming is the future of handhelds. As an addition, yes, it's wonderful and useful. But try playing any FPS on it where you have one "stick" to move and another to look around.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wonder if any software the phones come with will work on Macs.

I heard that currently no mac support. Not sure the validity though

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    It syncs music, video, and photos with Zune software, but not ONLY the Zune software. He mentions that they use the ActiveSync protocol, so I'm sure anything that has ActiveSync built into it would be updated to work with WinPhone7. It also pulls a lot from the cloud, ala e-mail, photos, etc (and with a Zune Pass and Marketplace connectivity over cell - you wouldn't even really need the Zune Software to pull music from your computer since you could download it direct).

Yeah, activesync is on there which is the standard sync for windows mobile phones. So, whatever doesn't sync with Zune, will with Activesync.

I'm surprised more people don't know this.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're not the only one...I think the UI looks like a confusing mess. I HATE the "text cut off on the sides" look. There's so much animation, too. Are you telling me you want to wait and see the animation EVERY time you open an app?

Text cut off I can take or leave. Your presumption that the animations are in lieu of doing something is almost certainly false: the animation can play while things are loading.

What I am glad about is that Microsoft have had the balls to make something that's controversial for being too artistic, not boring.

I personally love it, as a whole. I love the big areas to press. Not fiddly.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personally I have always heard Gizmodo having a total mac bias so the fact they are jerking off furiously to this thing says loads.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Ayulin wrote: »

I could have sworn I saw that cloud thing for office in the mobile office slides, and I seriously doubt that it'll lack the ability to sync with the usual address/date-book sources, that'd be featurephone dumb.

I do find those gizmodo quotes pretty funny, since outside of tuaw or the like, they're one of the worst about knocking something down because it has even the slightest connection to windows (mobile)

That's what I mean: it's done through the cloud, not using dedicated software. At least, they haven't mentioned specific software outside of ActiveSync/Exchange.

I don't think they mean they'll be using an updated version of Windows Mobile Device Centre, though; the interviews seem to imply it uses the ActiveSync protocol, but not the software itself. This is just pure speculation, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Zune Pass on a phone is super, super compelling. I don't know why they didn't do this ages ago.

Plus with these MS guys hinting about Xbox Live and achievement support and cross platform arcade games, ugh, I am going to need new pants every time I think about it...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So since it has Zune integration, I wonder if it'll be able to play songs from the Zune pass.

Fuck, make it so I can use the Zune pass on this thing through 3G and it'll definately get more than just a second look from me.

For those interested, this can already be done with Orb media sharing software running on your home PC and OrbLive on the iPhone. I really, really hate to say this but...there actually *is* an app for that. I play my Zune pass content regularly with it, and the quality of the stream can be adjusted for EDGE/3G/WiFi. Works like a charm when my Zune is dead or otherwise MIA.

Android version is in the works apparently.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    meatflower wrote: »
    So since it has Zune integration, I wonder if it'll be able to play songs from the Zune pass.

Fuck, make it so I can use the Zune pass on this thing through 3G and it'll definitely get more than just a second look from me.

For those interested, this can already be done with Orb media sharing software running on your home PC and OrbLive on the iPhone. I really, really hate to say this but...there actually *is* an app for that. I play my Zune pass content regularly with it, and the quality of the stream can be adjusted for EDGE/3G/WiFi. Works like a charm when my Zune is dead or otherwise MIA.

Android version is in the works apparently.

Well the Zune software & Zune Pass work directly with the Win7 Phones so no third party apps required. I don't have anything directly against apps but I prefer to keep things as minimal as possible.

God I hope at least one of these will use the Zune dock or have a similar media dock to connect to TVs. That way I could get away with not buying a ZuneHD and using a Tegra2 Win7 Phone for everything instead. :) It's reasons like this that I am a MS fanboy.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I worry about the level of openness of the platform, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of access applications will have and what the restrictions might be for loading them. Other than that it looks appealing, in the way that the ipod looks appealing, but until I can see that I can customize it to my liking (aside from shuffling preset tiles on the home screen) I'm tentative on this..

Marketplace shots are up

16feb10iob34t827.jpg

Microsoft seems to be constructing this as a direct response to the iphone, walled garden and all. I hope I'm wrong about that. I really do.

JAEF on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crossposted from elsewhere:
    JCRooks wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    I can see some definite potential problems with WinMo7, first and formost I really don't want to have to install software on my PC just to put some bloody MP3s on my phone, and I don't have any interest in things like the Zune marketplace for buying music, so I would hope that UI elements to do with the zune marketplace can be easily removed. But considering it is not possibly to remove bits of the Xbox Live marketplace you don't want, I am not certain that this will be possible.

Similarly, from what I can tell, it should be easy to add new services (like, say, twitter integration, or google search instead of bing search), but we've not heard anything like that yet.

That said, I do quite like what I have seen (although since I am getting a new phone in a couple of months, I won't be owning one for a long time).

Those are very fair criticisms. I have the exact same complaints regarding my iPhone and iTunes. I don't want to have to use iTunes to manage my podcasts and music, but unfortunately, that's the primary way to do it (aside from unofficial hacks or jailbreaking that surpasses this).

Anyway, I can't say more other than the generic "You'll know more in the next coming weeks/months". There's a lot more information that will be shared, as well as questions to continue asking.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would come out of my edit to see that post wouldn't I Lewie. Wouldn't I. Brothers in concern we are, a-merrily trotting about.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    I would come out of my edit to see that post wouldn't I Lewie. Wouldn't I. Brothers in concern we are, a-merrily trotting about.

Indeed.

They've got my attention, which I don't think they would have been able to do with anything that was just a natural progression of WinMo6.5, but until more details are out, I don't really know for sure if it is for me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The biggest concern for me is always "Can I turn a platform into an answer for my actual needs rather than having a company dictate to me what my needs are and then tell me their answers are the only ones that are correct?" Even Android skirts a line with this in some areas) but it tends to err on the side of user freedom.

I wish I had a bit more time to properly express my worries in a clear manner but I am absolutely exhausted. Curse you sleep, bane of the woken.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That sums it up pretty well. If they can offer a large amount of user freedom, whilst keeping that slickUI, then they are on to something.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    this 'authentically digital' design idea is excellent

i was amazed at how good this thing looks in action, because the screenshots don't really sell it

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    meatflower wrote: »

Fuck, make it so I can use the Zune pass on this thing through 3G and it'll definately get more than just a second look from me.

I stream my music with Simplify Media, but honestly it's clunky as shit and I don't like leaving my computer on when I'm not home.

Fats on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thing looks truly excellent. The UI is, in my eyes, utterly gorgeous and perfect in every way. I seriously want one; and the fact that I'll actually be able to choose between handset makers and providers is a big plus for me. The iPhone suffers from exclusivity deals here in Australia as well.

I realise this is a weird question, but does anyone know what font they're using in these shots? I quite like it.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure it's that old stalwart Helvetica.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The biggest concern for me is always "Can I turn a platform into an answer for my actual needs rather than having a company dictate to me what my needs are and then tell me their answers are the only ones that are correct?"[/B

This is one of my larger concerns as well. My working hours are almost entirely mobile and I like winmo because I can setup a mobile office off my phone and use it exactly how I want. I have a feeling they have gone too far in the opposite direction, but I hope that turns out to be false as more information comes in.

stigweard on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There are already 9 or 10 sessions scheduled for MIX on programming for MinMo7. I really wish I was going.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    The biggest concern for me is always "Can I turn a platform into an answer for my actual needs rather than having a company dictate to me what my needs are and then tell me their answers are the only ones that are correct?"[/B

This is one of my larger concerns as well. My working hours are almost entirely mobile and I like winmo because I can setup a mobile office off my phone and use it exactly how I want. I have a feeling they have gone too far in the opposite direction, but I hope that turns out to be false as more information comes in.

It does seem like Microsoft is going for the more casual market, as opposed to the office-productivity market.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I still don't get how people use excel/powerpoint on smartphones. You need a fucking microscope to read that shit.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    I still don't get how people use excel/powerpoint on smartphones. You need a fucking microscope to read that shit.

That's part of the reason Win7 phones have a mandatory OLED screen requirement with other minimum requirements as well.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

That's part of the reason Win7 phones have a mandatory OLED screen requirement with other minimum requirements as well.

It's still too small, imo. I think Word is fine and maybe powerpoint, but even with an OLED 4.0" screen I'm scrounging to see wtf is going on in the excel spreadsheet

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    apply copious amounts of pinch-zoom.

having a zune HD, I can confirm that the software is really great at making zoomed in text look good..

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HMDI out.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just bought a WinMo 6.5 phone a couple of weeks back, with the anticipation that WinMo 7 (now "Windows Phone 7 Series") has the potential to make me buy another phone when it comes into the market.

So far it looks sweet. I've always felt that the main issue with WinMo is historic - it was never designed to be a communicator - it's roots are still Windows CE, and excels as a PDA. If anything, MS implemented cell phone functionality into WinMo badly, and relied on phonemakers to skin their UI. There's simply no quality control for the "Windows Mobile Experience". Crystalizing the UI is a step in the right direction, though I'm not sure how makers like HTC, LG, and Samsung will react (what is a HTC product without skins?). MS may eventually need to do more and sell their own hardware.

Next to the "no-skinning", adopting "hubs" seemed iterative - an evolution from icons to interactive information panels. I appreciate the current UI design and hope that the hubs/squares are customizable (i.e. new hubs, which hubs are bigger/on top). Hopefully, MS will also keep the ability to browse/change the phone's storage ala WinMo. Now if the UI is customizable on the folder level (naming conventions dictate hubs like shortcuts/bookmarks/folders/wallpapers...), now, that would be even better.

Overall I'm impressed with the changes, cautiously optimistic that phonemakers will implement this OS into their hardware well. Guess I should set aside some money for a new phone. :)

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All I can say is if I hear certain people (ie engadget) complain about the lack of customization in Winmo7 I am going to beat the editors to death. Considernig their infatuation with a phone/company that prioritizes telling you what to use and what you can't do with it (Apple), I don't want to hear this complain from anyone except WinMo users who love HTC Sense.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Unless they completely lock out HTC from making any modificiations, which I kind of doubt since they're one of the largest high end WM companies, I'm sure that there'll be something that can be done with the customization. If not, there's always XDA

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Unless they completely lock out HTC from making any modificiations, which I kind of doubt since they're one of the largest high end WM companies, I'm sure that there'll be something that can be done with the customization. If not, there's always XDA

Companies cannot replace the UI. They can add tiles and that's about it.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Companies cannot replace the UI. They can add tiles and that's about it.

You helped to develop the new os?

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    He didn't, but that is what the guy that did said.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't remember hearing that specifically during the video. He did talk about limitations of customizations, but not complete ui overhaul.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I read that companies won't be able to replace the UI as well. Perhaps small modifications, but nothing major.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png