As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Artist's Corner [CHAT] thread

• Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jared wrote: »
    Congrats on the story Maxi....and very weird niche you have there. But cool.

Why thank you very much kind sir. :D I'm waiting for angry emails from people I may offend... I have yet to receive any.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »

Why thank you very much kind sir. :D I'm waiting for angry emails from people I may offend... I have yet to receive any.

You're in the military. You'll get some.

Also, you're in the military. They're not going to you; they're going to your supervisor.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I'm waiting for the, "Uriarte! Go see the 1st Sergeant."

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    JaredJared Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Oh give it time. My website's pretty benign and I still get hate mail regularly....and my topics are cliche. Good luck, soldier.

Jared on
    Who doesn't have a website these days? (Head Injury Theater)
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just finished Diamond Age. Neal Stephenson is a sexual deviant.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I'm waiting for the, "Uriarte! Go see the 1st Sergeant."

yeah, apparently the first person in the chain of command being the one you have a problem with only applies if you want the problem to stop. Unfortunately, the only thing the bitter assholes in the military want is for someone to be punished.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I still get angry emails from Twilight fans, even though I don't have my email on my site. Apparently they find it important to look my name up. Not a difficult achievement.

bebarce on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bebarce wrote: »
    I still get angry emails from Twilight fans, even though I don't have my email on my site. Apparently they find it important to look my name up. Not a difficult achievement.

links to whatever it is that made them mad in the first place plz.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    beavo, have you painted your puppy yet?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    beavotron wrote: »

http://www.moviestupidity.com/?p=10

Some of the emails are just emploring me to read the books. With others....well it's hard to see tear streaks on digital letters. But you know they're there.

bebarce on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Some of the emails are just emploring me to read the books. With others....well it's hard to see tear streaks on digital letters. But you know they're there.

That wasn't that bad of a review but i could see how it would piss off some crazy fans. Then again its not hard to piss off crazy fans.

Also the books aren't worth it...or at least the first one which I read and the other 2 which i just read plot synopsis on wikipedia.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man I like the look of the Chevy HHR but I don't want another Chevy.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The look being stupid?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah.... ew

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Man, I guess hard drive recovery is super expensive. I lost the external drive with most of my work on it. It seems like I wont be able to recover it without like 500 dollars. Its very unfortunate.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    Man, I guess hard drive recovery is super expensive. I lost the external drive with most of my work on it. It seems like I wont be able to recover it without like 500 dollars. Its very unfortunate.

Perplexingly, sometimes Linux can read a disk other operating systems can't. Try booting up a livecd to see if it'll read it. And if it can, back it up immediately.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks MKR, I'll give that a shot. I'm fairly sure its a mechanical or power malfunction within the drive, but I'm up for anything at this point. Honestly other than losing my music, its not the end of the world, I would like to recover that work though.

I should probably look into backing up more stuff online, or at least getting a stable drive to drop my shit into.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man I like the look of the Chevy HHR but I don't want another Chevy.

Really?
    2009-chevrolet-hhr-08124511990004.jpg

C'mon, you're having us on aren't you?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks MKR, I'll give that a shot. I'm fairly sure its a mechanical or power malfunction within the drive, but I'm up for anything at this point. Honestly other than losing my music, its not the end of the world, I would like to recover that work though.

I should probably look into backing up more stuff online, or at least getting a stable drive to drop my shit into.

What they're charging $500 for is to do (usually) two things:
    1: Find a replacement logic board if that's the problem, and if they can find one
    2: Hammer the crap out of every byte until it comes out (reading each sector over and over)

Linux's disk drivers might actually try #2 more than other systems, so that might be why it works.

MKR on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    If you can manage to find an exact match of the drive (same part number), but one that works, you can try switching the logic board yourself. It's pretty easy. Only a couple of screws and a ribbon cable. I have saved a drive by doing this on occasion.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just be careful not to touch the circuitry. Finger oils corrode stuff. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the wd5000aajs is pretty damn common, and looking online its going rate is like 50 bucks now, so I guess that's another option. The thing is making a very very low hum and nothing else. no clicks or wrrrs. I'm worried that the damn thing is having some sort of catastrophic failure and cant move.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Never before have I worried that I would have to pick and choose what to keep in my portfolio and what to leave out...I always thought I'd have "too few" pieces...hmm

For a print portfolio, I'm sure "have between x and x number of pieces" absolutely applies.....but I've seen both "thinned out" online portfolios, with maybe only 6 pieces in them, and "fuller" online portfolios that have like...30 pieces in them.

Hmmmmmmm....when I finally post stuff, I'll ask you guys what you think I should keep and what I should remove.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the wd5000aajs is pretty damn common, and looking online its going rate is like 50 bucks now, so I guess that's another option. The thing is making a very very low hum and nothing else. no clicks or wrrrs. I'm worried that the damn thing is having some sort of catastrophic failure and cant move.

The hum just about has to be the disk spinning. The lights are on, but no one is home.

That means it might just be a fried logic board. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It used to make a much louder peculating water sort of sound when it was "thinking" or accessing data before, though. That sound is entirely absent.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It used to make a much louder peculating water sort of sound when it was "thinking" or accessing data before, though. That sound is entirely absent.

That's probably the sound the head makes when it's seeking, which would be absent if it's braindead.

http://www.datarecovery.org/hard-disk-components.html

The motor under the spindle makes the hum, and the actuator arm can be very noisy when it's moving. You can also see that it's extremely simple on the inside, which is why a logic board failure is almost always the problem.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the knowledge MKR, I'll have a little hope now.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That wasn't that bad of a review but i could see how it would piss off some crazy fans. Then again its not hard to piss off crazy fans.

Also the books aren't worth it...or at least the first one which I read and the other 2 which i just read plot synopsis on wikipedia.

It's mostly the "he doesn't really love her" thing that gets them all weepy.

bebarce on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of movies, I watched the SyFy (blugh) original Alice last night, and it was remarkably good for a SyFy (hork!) original!

Like, the acting was actually pretty good, and the special effects worked well within their budget.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't seen it yet, but anythings gotta be better than Tinman. Blarrrgh!

bebarce on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hurrrglll.

Since we're all making vomiting noises.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2010

It's mostly the "he doesn't really love her" thing that gets them all weepy.

Reading the review...so the 'romance' involved is just "you smell like BLOOD OMNOMNOMNOM"?

On the same logic, I wonder if I could make megabucks on a book about a romance between a chubby guy and a gingerbread woman.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My landlords show everybody what petty dicks they continue to be by trying to swindle the Italian guy who stayed here for four days and then left due to stress with them over many minor issues about which they were being unreasonable out of about 150 euros of his security deposit or whatever for something which possibly shouldn't even cost that much. Of course, the main issue is that he didn't do what they're claiming he did, since the landlord told one of my other housemates that the problem (a broken tap) was even from before the Italian guy ever came here. They're obviously just trying to con him out of money because they love money.

Thank god he's going to fight it. Fuck, I'm glad they fucked off to Belgium.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't seen it yet, but anythings gotta be better than Tinman. Blarrrgh!

But Zooey!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited March 2010
    On the same logic, I wonder if I could make megabucks on a book about a romance between a chubby guy and a gingerbread woman.

Animate it, and I'd say we have a deal.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Reading the review...so the 'romance' involved is just "you smell like BLOOD OMNOMNOMNOM"?

:^: I'd buy it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mustang wrote: »

:^: I'd buy it.

Heh out of curiosity I googled chubby "guy loves cookie lady movie" and fifth down was a wikipedia entry for Dante Hicks.

bebarce on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I feel like crap but I don't have a fever. What the hell?

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    Man, I feel like crap but I don't have a fever. What the hell?

Allergies?

I'm about 99% certain that mine are acting up...

Nappuccino on

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you guys died, would you want to be turned into diamonds?

Also people going to gdc, pm me contact info.

PROX on
This discussion has been closed.