As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation...from the Weeessssssssssssssssssssst

• Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thread mark.

the animated super hero movies have been pretty damn good as of late

Green Lantern: First flight very solid
    Hellboy: Blood and Iron was fun
    Dr. Strange - I'd go for a sequel on that.
    Hulk Vs - was a quick fun romp

how was the Planet Hulk and the new Halo Legends movie?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the ONE area that completely pisses me off with the 'toons of the last 10 years or so is the over reliance on the same voice actors who make no attempt at chancing their voices whatsoever between each show.

i.e. EVERY character that Cree Summer has voiced sounds/behaves exactly the same. Grey DeLisle, who did the voice of Frankie in Foster's Home, also does this from time to time (Freida from El Tigre, Vicky from Fairly Oddparents, and a few others). Even Phil Lamarr is getting lazy, and he's got serious range.

Aside from Cree, the next biggest offender is Kevin Michael Richardson. He's got range like Phil Lamarr (he's the voice of Uncle Ruckus, The Joker in The Batman, and The Lion Turtle from Avatar for christs sake!), but does the same voice over, and over, and over, and over. Peep the voice of "The Guardian" from Samurai Jack and "Uncle Pockets" from Fosters Home and try to remember EVERY cartoon you've heard that voice in.

krush on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-uZnzXGOWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kXv7LzkEc

The Flamenco singing-sword episode made me cry from so much laughing.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thread mark.

I loved the "Hulk Vs" stuff. It was simple and had lots of fighting.

I watched Planet Hulk a few weeks ago. It was okay. The fighting was pretty brutal because they added more blood than I'm used to seeing in a marvel movie. I could have done without the humanizing aspect, but it wasn't complete crap.

There was one big plot device that was never really addressed at the end, but maybe they are setting it up for a 2nd movie.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Think Batman: The Brave and the Bold doesn't get it? Think again.

There's a clip of an upcoming March episode out, and I can't fucking wait. Earth Batman meets the Batman of Planet X, and there's some fantastic 50s-style robot battles going on.

Then Batman X speaks at the end of the clip, and I went hargfwarglblefgh. Even passing Batman fans can guess why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sDkE9JVMk&feature=player_embedded

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thread mark.

I'm not a comics fan but Justice League: The New Frontier was flippin' awesome.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I used to watch Cartoon Network a bunch growing up, and even my parents enjoyed the 90's stuff like Cow and Chicken and Johnny Bravo. The rampant surrealism spoke to us, I guess.

The Animaniacs were a favourite when we could get them, and it's a crime that they didn't see a DVD release.

OK, a Google search reveals some hits. I know where my spare money will be going this month.

Edit: God damn you Region 1-only releases!

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I used to watch Cartoon Network a bunch growing up, and even my parents enjoyed the 90's stuff like Cow and Chicken and Johnny Bravo. The rampant surrealism spoke to us, I guess.

The Animaniacs were a favourite when we could get them, and it's a crime that they didn't see a DVD release.

OK, a Google search reveals some hits. I know where my spare money will be going this month.

Fox Kids from like '90-'97 was absolutely awesome.

The Tick
    Eek the Cat
    Spider-Man
    Bobby's World
    X-Men
    Beetlejuice
    Taz-Mania
    Batman: TAS
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    Life With Louie
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
    Sam & Max: Freelance Police
    Beast Wars

And others I'm forgetting.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do kids have taste? The 10 and under crowd, I mean. Will kids really watch anything on TV so long as it's animated and targets their gender?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Do kids have taste? The 10 and under crowd, I mean. Will kids really watch anything on TV so long as it's animated and targets their gender?

Johnny Test says yes.

Edit: Yes they'll watch anything animated and targeting their gender, not having taste.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Johnny Test says yes.

Edit: Yes they'll watch anything animated and targeting their gender, not having taste.

So, to a ten year old, there's no such thing as a bad cartoon or animated movie?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Johnny Test says yes.

So, to a ten year old, there's no such thing as a bad cartoon or animated movie?

Nope.

Note the first Pokemon movie's B.O. Gross.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think they don't know any better. My little brother is 15 years younger than me, so I had an interesting experience introducing good stuff and watching whatever he watched from time to time. The early 00's were great because CN had Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, and vast amounts of Scooby Doo(CN constantly played it). Now I see he watches whatever anime they had on and something called Drama Island. It was a cartoon about kids on a reality show. I didn't like it, but maybe it's because I hate 99% of reality TV.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

nah, my kids definitely have their own taste. The Boy (6yrs old) refuses to watch anything "girly", doesn't like Wubzy 'cause it's stupid, hates Back at the Barnyard 'cause it's stupid, and LOVES Samurai Jack, The Batman, and Teen Titans. The Girl (8) watches a wide variety, but can't stand Batman: Bold And The Brave 'cause it's not as good as The Batman (which she watches with her brother religiously), she also enjoys Samurai Jack and Teen Titans, but also likes Powerpuff Girls and Dexter, both of which annoys The Boy. She loves Making Fiends (honestly, so do I, but mainly for Vendetta's emotional fits and her accent), which the boy despises.

They actually have reasons for liking/not liking certain shows.

(edit) oh, one show that he WILL watch tha was supposed to be "girly" was Totally Spies.

They both liked The X's when that was on.

krush on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The Tick
    Eek the Cat
    Spider-Man
    Bobby's World
    X-Men
    Beetlejuice
    Taz-Mania
    Batman: TAS
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    Life With Louie
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
    Sam & Max: Freelance Police
    Beast Wars

And others I'm forgetting.

I'll be honest... The Tick, X Men, Batman: TAS and on occasion Spiderman was all I could stomach from Fox Kids.

Oh, that Superman show they had was pretty good too.

krush on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I used to be able to sing the theme songs to Animaniacs and Taz-Mania ... I might need to rehearse it a couple times if I wanted to do it now.

Does "....there's bologna in our slacks?" come before "Bill Clinton plays the sax?"

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Who here starts humming theme songs from their favorite superhero shows whenever they get brought up today? Every time I play Arkam Asylum the theme song from the 90's show pops into my head.

I'm humming it now! :)

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    krush wrote: »
    the ONE area that completely pisses me off with the 'toons of the last 10 years or so is the over reliance on the same voice actors who make no attempt at chancing their voices whatsoever between each show.

i.e. EVERY character that Cree Summer has voiced sounds/behaves exactly the same. Grey DeLisle, who did the voice of Frankie in Foster's Home, also does this from time to time (Freida from El Tigre, Vicky from Fairly Oddparents, and a few others). Even Phil Lamarr is getting lazy, and he's got serious range.

Aside from Cree, the next biggest offender is Kevin Michael Richardson. He's got range like Phil Lamarr (he's the voice of Uncle Ruckus, The Joker in The Batman, and The Lion Turtle from Avatar for christs sake!), but does the same voice over, and over, and over, and over. Peep the voice of "The Guardian" from Samurai Jack and "Uncle Pockets" from Fosters Home and try to remember EVERY cartoon you've heard that voice in.

That's the casting director's fault, it's their job to get the right-sounding voice for the role. Not everyone can be Frank Welker or Mel Blanc. Maurice LaMarche - Brain from Animaniacs/Pinky & the Brain - pretty much does just the one Orson Welles impersonation. It's the job of the casting director to make sure he's only put in roles that suit that Welles-ian voice, and not stick him with Gambit on X-Men.

It's not Summer's fault that she gets cast as every black girl in cartoons anymore than it's Lauren Tom's fault that she gets every Asian girl role.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

That's the casting director's fault, it's their job to get the right-sounding voice for the role. Not everyone can be Frank Welker or Mel Blanc. Maurice LaMarche - Brain from Animaniacs/Pinky & the Brain - pretty much does just the one Orson Welles impersonation. It's the job of the casting director to make sure he's only put in roles that suit that Welles-ian voice, and not stick him with Gambit on X-Men.

It's not Summer's fault that she gets cast as every black girl in cartoons anymore than it's Lauren Tom's fault that she gets every Asian girl role.

yeah, but come on... can we get a -little- variation??? She even applied that voice to the non-black Tiff from My Life as a Teenage Robot.

i_britTiff.gif

Granted, some of the female voice actors can surprise you, like the aforementioned Grey DeLisle (she's the voice of Azula on Avatar as well as the Crazy Old Cat Lady from Kids Next Door), but most seem to just regurgitate the same voices.

krush on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I don't know if that's the best example. Maurice LaMarche has fantastic range:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpEAckPCJRQ

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sal wrote: »

I don't know if that's the best example. Maurice LaMarche has fantastic range:

Okay, bad example, should've imdb'd him first. Still, the director has the job of making sure they get the voice they want for each part, and replacing/re-casting if they don't get the performance they want. Clancy Brown in Superman TAS originally auditioned for Superman/Clark Kent, after hearing his reading the producers gave him the Lex Luthor role. It's not like Brown can't voice act, but it's hard to imagine him making a better Superman/Kent than he did a Luthor.

The pet peeve I have is celebrities getting VA roles and then completely phoning in some rote, wooden performance. Cameron Diaz in Shrek, everyone in Madagascar, etc. And the producers get stuck with it, because the studios are doing their "Actor X is famous, so we can get The Tonight Show for the promo campaign now!" thing.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    South Park has to be commended for its increasingly ambitious visuals.

And more love for The Maxx.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Samurai Jack. All of it. In my opinion the epitome of animation in the early '00s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihidxSwTGlI

I might downright cry if the film isn't any good.

Man, the voice actor that did Aku does such an awesome over-the-top job that the intro alone sells you. I've only seen a couple episodes, so I'm currently acquiring it all.

Didn't know he was also the voice for General Iroh in Avatar, or that he passed away a few years ago :(

Edit: I actually remember seeing the premier of Samurai Jack on Cartoon Network when I was staying at some relatives' place. They had a grey market satellite dish tuned to some American provider. There was an interview with Mako, which was as good as his performance itself. I always remembered the series for that reason, but never got to to watch it.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mako is one of the best voice actors in the Western Animation industry ever.

Tales of Ba Sing Se was pretty teary even if you didn't know him, but Iroh's tale is downright depressing.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Eh? It's his signature voice, yes, but he also does Kif, Clamps and Morbo in Futurama, for example - three voices which are pretty damn different. He was also Pepe Le Pew in Space Jam.

Edit: beat'd like an egg on Shrove Tuesday.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I don't think I'm alone when I say that the traditionally animated Clone Wars shorts are the best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy.

Matt Stover's novel Shatterpoint is a close second, but the Clone Wars shorts still take the prize.

I think it's safe to say for me that I love everything about Star Wars except most of the actual movies. And Clone Wars was really a high point for the series.

I had no idea Genndy Tartakovsky was working on a new series for Cartoon Network until I saw mention of it on Wikipedia.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/03/chung-tartakovk/

EDIT: What's hilarious about Samurai Jack is how utterly violent it is at times. But as long as the violence is against robots, it's totally cool. You can even have Jack go Berserk on them, and have them gush out robotic oil as blood, but that's totally cool as long as it's not real red coloured fake robot blood.

I mean just imagine this scene with organics, instead of robots, and keep everything else the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcn69d37gog

People would pass out at the stuff their kids are being exposed to. :lol:

I mean sure, robots and humans are a different context, but it still surprises me how that level of violence is still OK otherwise.

subedii on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Eek the Cat

this ever hit dvd? This and Megas XLR I've looked for many times to revisit and no luck. Last I remember found the creator of Megas personal website and he mentioned he was in legal limbo and no dvd.

Eek, just some great humor in there. wondering how it held up over the years. oh and your girlfriend is fat

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the Flash in that series, he was the only one who wasn't harbouring some sort of tortured soul or wretched past. Heck, the folks from his city like him because he's an awesome guy.

This was one of my favourite scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQ-h_2WGkw

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Samurai Jack. All of it. In my opinion the epitome of animation in the early '00s.

Man, the voice actor that did Aku does such an awesome over-the-top job that the intro alone sells you. I've only seen a couple episodes, so I'm currently acquiring it all.

Didn't know he was also the voice for General Iroh in Avatar, or that he passed away a few years ago :(

Edit: I actually remember seeing the premier of Samurai Jack on Cartoon Network when I was staying at some relatives' place. They had a grey market satellite dish tuned to some American provider. There was an interview with Mako, which was as good as his performance itself. I always remembered the series for that reason, but never got to to watch it.

Yeah, I was just thinking about this last night while watching Samurai Jack. The way he does Aku, with Aku pronouncing in painstaking detail every syllable of every word, gave it a much different character than his work as General Iroh.

The "Tales of Iroh" segment did bring a lump to my throat, can't lie about that. Iroh was my favorite character on Avatar.

krush on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of Avatar, I just got my hands on the DVDs for book 1 and I've watched the first 16 episodes. It's pretty good, nice writing, good animation, but I'm not seeing why everyone gushes over it so much.

Oh, and I love that Clone Wars clip of General Grievous. <3

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Speaking of Avatar, I just got my hands on the DVDs for book 1 and I've watched the first 16 episodes. It's pretty good, nice writing, good animation, but I'm not seeing why everyone gushes over it so much.

The first 16 episodes, give or take, are the weakest part of the entire series.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just keep going. It gets better and better from here on out.

I'll agree Mako was fantastic. His way of speaking is VERY unique, yet he was able to pull off the cruel, vicious Aku and the kindly, concerned Iroh with equal skill.

And yeah, I'd love a DVD of Megas. A gigantic robot with a 60's hot rod for a head, driven by a dense slacker. Rough at times but good stuff.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    EDIT: What's hilarious about Samurai Jack is how utterly violent it is at times. But as long as the violence is against robots, it's totally cool. You can even have Jack go Berserk on them, and have them gush out robotic oil as blood, but that's totally cool as long as it's not real red coloured fake robot blood.
    -snip-

I mean sure, robots and humans are a different context, but it still surprises me how that level of violence is still OK otherwise.

The same goes for the Powerpuff Girls, they tear monsters (and robots) apart and beat up other monsters with the body parts.

There was one episode with an enemy that was a giant roach and could control other roaches, and when the Girls eventually beat the giant roach, it was revealed that a man was inside the roach suit and they kind of bent over backwards saying how "NOT OKAY" that was. Except the man was either just knocked out or was then revealed to be a robot or something anyway.

Backstop on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The first 16 episodes, give or take, are the weakest part of the entire series.

Yeah.

Think of each season as a wave, where you start in the trough, then crest to the top at the season finale. Each successive season starts at a higher point than the previous one's trough, and builds faster.

For the first half of the first season, it was an okay kid's show. By the end of the first season, it was a rather good show. By halfway through the second/particularly by the end of the second, I was absolutely hooked.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would like this thread to help me, if possible.

I'm trying to remember an old cartoon, possibly a movie, in which a family of foxes were raiding a farm in the winter. I seem to remember the last scene being the foxes making their escape in the snowy landscape. It might only have been a British thing.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Decius wrote: »

He also did the best voice for Splinter in any TMNT form.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Johnny Test says yes.

I've caught a few episodes, and it pulls meta and playing with archetypes really well. Not fantastic, but not terrible.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Johnny Test says yes.

I've caught a few episodes, and it pulls meta and playing with archetypes really well. Not fantastic, but not terrible.

It just feels like it's trying SO HARD to be "hip" and "cool".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Johnny Test says yes.

It just feels like it's trying SO HARD to be "hip" and "cool".

you just described 99% of all failed, suck-ass toons of the last 20 years.

krush on
This discussion has been closed.