As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lost Planet 2: Quite Pleasent Conditions

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not sure why Frank West isn't a 360 exclusive. I mean, the franchise is multiplatform now, but it wasn't at the time.

Also, he seems the most out of place in that universe.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HEY!

He's covered wars, you know. :P

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually, a semi-futuristic arcade customizable shooter I was pondering over the other day. The designs look very Masamune Shirow, and that's a big plus in my book.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    scott_g777scott_g777 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Recently played the demo on XBL and I found it to be pretty awesome. I liked running around the mechs and getting swallowed by the boss guy.

I like the online co-op and how some guys can ride on the side of your mech. Anyone else try it recently?

scott_g777 on
    steam_sig.png
    Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies, it can not truly live.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Probably try the demo for 2 ASAP.

I'm actually looking into getting the first game, now that the price has dropped.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Probably try the demo for 2 ASAP.

I'm actually looking into getting the first game, now that the price has dropped.
    Which one, the vanilla, or the Colonies Edition? It's a decent enough singleplayer game. I never played multiplayer (though I probably should try since Capcom's apparently tracking stats and creating a Halo-style service record for your tag); not sure if anyone's still playing it, but if Colonies is cheap enough, I'd go with that anyway.

Edit: I really wish the LP2 demo was more than just one Akrid; the original's had two sections to play through, more than enough to form an opinion with.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have a pretty decent gaming PC and a PS3, each has their pros and cons.

The PS3 has worse graphics and controls from what I've read, but is decent otherwise.

The PC has better controls and graphics, but requires you to be connected to the internet at all times. That kind of copyright protection just rubs me the wrong way. Does that mean if Capcom stops supporting the game, I can't play it anymore? If that's the case, I'll just stick with the PS3, flaws and all.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Woah I hadn't heard about the online thing. Ugh. :(

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a pretty decent gaming PC and a PS3, each has their pros and cons.

The PS3 has worse graphics and controls from what I've read, but is decent otherwise.

The PC has better controls and graphics, but requires you to be connected to the internet at all times. That kind of copyright protection just rubs me the wrong way. Does that mean if Capcom stops supporting the game, I can't play it anymore? If that's the case, I'll just stick with the PS3, flaws and all.

Can you point to where it says the always online thing? If it's true it's off my list.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gamespot's PC review:

You may also observe another major annoyance: Lost Planet requires you to be connected to the Internet via Valve Software's Steam client just to play the single-player game. Losing your connection during gameplay will cause the game client to quit, and since there are no midmission saves, you'll have to replay the entire mission from the beginning. Without the connection, the game can't start, and at press time, will not start even if Steam is in offline mode.

Yeah, so it looks like its bargin bin PS3 for me. Not too shabby.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gamespot's PC review:

You may also observe another major annoyance: Lost Planet requires you to be connected to the Internet via Valve Software's Steam client just to play the single-player game. Losing your connection during gameplay will cause the game client to quit, and since there are no midmission saves, you'll have to replay the entire mission from the beginning. Without the connection, the game can't start, and at press time, will not start even if Steam is in offline mode.

Yeah, so it looks like its bargin bin PS3 for me. Not too shabby.

Hmm....I'm going to guess that's not intentional. I'm going to put it on my wishlist instead, since I was going to buy the Steam version anyway. If Steam is the DRM, it should conform to offline mode.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, you get space revolvers in this game.

I love space revolvers.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's funny, I haven't seen too many PAers hyping about this game even though it's 2.5 weeks away from the release date. The 4 co-op online play sounded interesting, yet it doesn't have the buzz of the other games. (I mean this whole thread was on the 4th page in this section; which means it's got a foot in a grave.)

Is it worth pre-ordering this game anymore? It doesn't seem too many PAers here are too interested in it. I know RDR is releasing a week after this (and I have already pre-ordered RDR). I figured a game that has 4 co-op play would generate more buzz in this thread than this. Or did I miss news that has made this game undesirable (especially for PS3).

Schwhat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hell, I'd be up for some 4 player coop if anyone wanted to organize a bug hunt. PS3's my system.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's the difference, if anything, between the co-op demo and the MP demo they just released?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's the difference, if anything, between the co-op demo and the MP demo they just released?

The MP demo is up to 16 players in death match or a team territories type mode.

Omega on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Omega wrote: »

The MP demo is up to 16 players in death match or a team territories type mode.

Ahh and the other one is an SP co-op level.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I like the co-op one better because it's more indicative of the game. MP Deathmatch is just mindless dickwaving.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate the deathmatch in the demo. It's just garbage.

I love the co-op in the demo. It is fantastic. It's like Shadow of the Colossus, but with space pirates... and your buds.

I just hope most of the game is more of the same and not just two or three of those boss battles in the midst of terrible mediocrity.

Like, if after you beat that giant beaver thing, a huge worm comes up out of the ground and you have to fight that. Rinse. Repeat.

Game of the year.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Deathmatch has always been bad in Lost Planet.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    I hate the deathmatch in the demo. It's just garbage.

I love the co-op in the demo. It is fantastic. It's like Shadow of the Colossus, but with space pirates... and your buds.

I just hope most of the game is more of the same and not just two or three of those boss battles in the midst of terrible mediocrity.

Like, if after you beat that giant beaver thing, a huge worm comes up out of the ground and you have to fight that. Rinse. Repeat.

Game of the year.

Well, there was that Wesker demo that showed someone fighting a giant creature. Not as big as the one in the demo but larger than the regular bugs in LP1.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just beat LP1, short and sweet. Not worth 50, but definately 20. Lots of dakka dakka and big booms. Very nice mech and technology design too.

It's funny because Joe, the random NEVEC trooper who joins your party manages to be equally as badass as Wayne for the entire game. All the other NPCs were useless as is Capcom SOP, but little old Mook Joe manages to kick ass in style.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just beat LP1, short and sweet. Not worth 50, but definately 20. Lots of dakka dakka and big booms. Very nice mech and technology design too.

It's funny because Joe, the random NEVEC trooper who joins your party manages to be equally as badass as Wayne for the entire game. All the other NPCs were useless as is Capcom SOP, but little old Mook Joe manages to kick ass in style.

Yeah i really enjoyed the original as well. I love the mechs and they seem to get even cooler in the second one.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I seriously don't even care about piloting a VS this time in COOP. I just want to ride shotgun with an ace pilot blazing away with an anti-tank gun or rocket launcher. That was the most awesome part of the LP2 vids I saw.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh fuck,

As a general rule I don't double post, but this is too kick ass to pass up. I personally think it should go in the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwS4Kp4pygs

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm hoping there will more people here in the PA forums that'll pick up on this game, cuz my experience with the multiplayer demo has been horrible.

In every game, there's at least one guy with music blaring in his headset, and playing on the PS3 demo, there are no options to mute the player. Not even adding him to my blocklist will mute him.

When the game comes out I'd much rather play with PA folks rather than finding random games with strangers.

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The problem is that you're playing competitive multi. It's all about co-op.

Renzo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monster Hunter....IN SPACE!

I'll be there!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, there really is no hope for you people. Although the co-op is very good, so maybe you can be spared.

Tried the deathmatch demo, first impressions, just as brilliant as the first game's multiplayer - looks like they might finally have got both parts right.

And it amuses me how a franchise that's supposedly far more limiting than the Bionic Commando remake (general impressions, I mean, not saying anyone specifically said this) flattens it in pretty much every conceivable way.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Il be buying this. I absolutely loved the first and wouldnt dream of missing the second. Ive been planning on it since it was first announced. But Im on 360 not the PS3 so...

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, there really is no hope for you people. Although the co-op is very good, so maybe you can be spared.

Tried the deathmatch demo, first impressions, just as brilliant as the first game's multiplayer - looks like they might finally have got both parts right.

And it amuses me how a franchise that's supposedly far more limiting than the Bionic Commando remake (general impressions, I mean, not saying anyone specifically said this) flattens it in pretty much every conceivable way.

It's all the hitstun. I think it's a bad mechanic, but the multi pretty much revolves around it. So I have to avoid it. It's just crap.

Renzo on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

It's all the hitstun. I think it's a bad mechanic, but the multi pretty much revolves around it. So I have to avoid it. It's just crap.

Yeah the hitstun made me very goddamn angry the day because I didnt even realize it existed until now and I LOVED the first games Multiplayer. (I played it a whole lot) and since I already had a bad day it made me extremely angry.

But I still love it. Just not good to play while super pissed.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bah, who cares about deathmatch when I can work as a team to operate a giant "FUCK OFF" cannon on a double rail train to kill a sandworm the size of the Empire State building.

It's all perspective.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll drive!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Mother nature just pissed her pantsuit!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uci-Ce1D2RM

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I was playing the MP demo for the first time. did anybody else have a problem with your gun not firing or grenades not throwing when you press the button from time to time?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I was playing the MP demo for the first time. did anybody else have a problem with your gun not firing or grenades not throwing when you press the button from time to time?

Were you getting shot at the time?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So if you are getting shot you get staggered and can't shoot back? Doesn't that kind of mean if somebody gets the drop on you, you are absolutely fucked?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So if you are getting shot you get staggered and can't shoot back? Doesn't that kind of mean if somebody gets the drop on you, you are absolutely fucked?

Yes.

That's why the multi sucks. But the singleplayer and co-op is fun!

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ha, it's awesome! Coop is a beast. I had a perfect team last time through. Even with no voice, everyone got a good mix of weapons, I had the revolver, others had the shotgun and minigun. Another guy was awesome getting up close with his gunblade. We cut through the bugs like butter. The boss? No problem. Three guys stayed on the outside hammering away with VS suits and plasma guns, while I dove inside and emptied a few clips into the core before getting... forcefully expelled. Boss went down in an orgy of missiles and bullets. Best of all? No casualities. A perfect sweep.

This game rules, and I'd be proud to join any PA clan that's going up.

manwiththemachinegun on