Options

State and Local [Politics] 2010

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Arizona has sold off all of its state buildings. And is now renting them back. I'd be LOL worthy if it wasn't so pathetic.

No fucking way.

Yeah, they did that a few months (a year?) ago in order to make a quick buck.

So, they definitely rented the same ones back? They didn't lease space in new buildings?

You can't exactly not rent out the Capitol Building

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think that most of us that live in the states feel that the territories can't bitch about not having votes in Congress or being able to vote for President when they don't have to pay federal taxes. If you want a say in federal elections, you've got to pay for it like the rest of us do.
    Right, especially considering that if there were a substantial movement in any of the territories to become a state, I can't imagine that we wouldn't allow it.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure conservatives would block it because each territory that becomes a state adds 2 senators that will undoubtedly be Democrats.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Arizona has sold off all of its state buildings. And is now renting them back. I'd be LOL worthy if it wasn't so pathetic.

No fucking way.

So, they definitely rented the same ones back? They didn't lease space in new buildings?

Yes, but fortunately there will be lots of other former state buildings out of which the employees could move to areas with lower property values.

Plus, I don't believe that the previous statement was meant to apply to the capitol building.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No fucking way.

It'd be a nice locale for a bar mitzvah, or maybe a singles mixer.

moniker on
  • Options
    GeorgeWashingtonPlunkittGeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think that most of us that live in the states feel that the territories can't bitch about not having votes in Congress or being able to vote for President when they don't have to pay federal taxes. If you want a say in federal elections, you've got to pay for it like the rest of us do.
    Right, especially considering that if there were a substantial movement in any of the territories to become a state, I can't imagine that we wouldn't allow it.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure conservatives would block it because each territory that becomes a state adds 2 senators that will undoubtedly be Democrats.
    No kidding. Hell, they oppose giving DC a voting member of the House even if Utah gets an extra one as well.

GeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No kidding. Hell, they oppose giving DC a voting member of the House even if Utah gets an extra one as well.
    I oppose that, too.

There are more people in Washington DC than Wyoming. They should have a house member and two senators without giving the geese in some special-ed state more sway just because it somehow isn't fair that they actually get a vote.

Frankly, I think we should repeal federal taxes in D.C. until they do get a vote.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I agree. But I'm pretty sure that Republicans don't oppose it for that reason.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Republicans oppose that because it looks like they'll get their Utah Rep in the census.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Republicans oppose that because it looks like they'll get their Utah Rep in the census.

Well, the deal was that it'd be set until the next census. Then after 2020 it'll revert to however the formula works out with DC still having an at-large seat and everybody else having what they normally would minus 1 seat up for grabs. So basically they don't have any real impetus for wanting to do it since all they really have to do is wait the decade out.

Also, did you know that the House has stayed at the same number of Representatives for nearly a century while the population has more than trebled? Because it has.

moniker on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    Hey, would it be cool to talk about Guam's politics in here?

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

Basically, Japan's pissed off enough at the US military to want 8,000 Marines moved out of Okinawa. My island's been picked as the place to house them...and now there's a whole bunch of hullabaloo that's difficult for me to pick through. That on top of rumblings that the US base in Futenma is being planned for transfer here, too.

In addition to the move of the Marines (expected to essentially double the current population by 2014), 2.5 million square feet of coral is to be dredged up to create a new wharf for a nuclear aircraft carrier, and a new missile defense base will be constructed here. ...No word on whether all that increased presence will result in Guamanians actually being able to vote for President or have a voting representative in Congress.
    I was under the impression that statehood wasn't a popular idea in Guam...?
    You're right. It isn't, which makes the situation very odd, and all the more interesting to me.
    If the people of Guam wanted statehood, they could have risen up and demanded it (and all the taxes and responsibilities that go along with it), and we would have welcomed them.

It's a bit late to bitch about the free ride at this point, though.
    ...Alright. I guess it's not okay for me to talk about this stuff here, then. Carry on.
    It's fine to talk about it, I'm just saying it would be kind of hypocritical for the people of Guam to ride the economic bonanza that is being a U.S. territory for all these decades, then bitch about having marines stationed on the island with no representation when it comes up.

I mean, I am talking about it; I'm just saying I don't see a problem with it.

Plus, isn't military spending responsible for a huge chunk of the economy there? Seems like this would be the kind of thing one would encourage.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh our leg's aren't up to much, here in alaska... Other than bending over and taking it further from oil companies.

10 year tax break on new oil? I'm pretty sure that's why we have the reputation for corruption that we do...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Hey, would it be cool to talk about Guam's politics in here?

DEIS for Guam Build-Up

Basically, Japan's pissed off enough at the US military to want 8,000 Marines moved out of Okinawa. My island's been picked as the place to house them...and now there's a whole bunch of hullabaloo that's difficult for me to pick through. That on top of rumblings that the US base in Futenma is being planned for transfer here, too.

In addition to the move of the Marines (expected to essentially double the current population by 2014), 2.5 million square feet of coral is to be dredged up to create a new wharf for a nuclear aircraft carrier, and a new missile defense base will be constructed here. ...No word on whether all that increased presence will result in Guamanians actually being able to vote for President or have a voting representative in Congress.
    I was under the impression that statehood wasn't a popular idea in Guam...?
    You're right. It isn't, which makes the situation very odd, and all the more interesting to me.
    If the people of Guam wanted statehood, they could have risen up and demanded it (and all the taxes and responsibilities that go along with it), and we would have welcomed them.

It's a bit late to bitch about the free ride at this point, though.
    ...Alright. I guess it's not okay for me to talk about this stuff here, then. Carry on.
    It's fine to talk about it, I'm just saying it would be kind of hypocritical for the people of Guam to ride the economic bonanza that is being a U.S. territory for all these decades, then bitch about having marines stationed on the island with no representation when it comes up.

I mean, I am talking about it; I'm just saying I don't see a problem with it.

Plus, isn't military spending responsible for a huge chunk of the economy there? Seems like this would be the kind of thing one would encourage.

Yeah, the military accounts for a huge chunk of the economy. For a long time, it also accounted for a large chunk of the government, as well. Up until the late 40s/early 50s, Guam was under the authority of a military government, with leadership appointed from within the Navy rather than elected by the populace. The "free ride" a lot of people seem to associate Guam with wasn't nearly so free for a long time.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not my state (which, since my state is Texas, is surprising...) but Utah is about to criminalize miscarriages. When I say "about to", it looks like the Governor just has to sign the bill.

Now, to be "fair", it is only intentional or reckless behavior leading to a miscarriage that is being made illegal. Whatever that really means. They are still some of the silliest geese ever to walk this planet.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gregoire is pushing a soda and bottled water tax for Washington to help cover a budget shortfall. Fuck yeah!

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gregoire is pushing a soda and bottled water tax for Washington to help cover a budget shortfall. Fuck yeah!

So, how's that "no income tax" strategy working out for you?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I don't understand why more municipalities don't get into selling local filtered tapwater in bottles.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    I don't understand why more municipalities don't get into selling local filtered tapwater in bottles.
    Because it's ridiculously bad for the environment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Because it's ridiculously bad for the environment.

Sure, but

a) it's going to happen anyways
    b) the profits can probably cover the environmental costs and then some
    c) it creates local jobs and decentralizes bottled water production

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Prediction: even if CA Dems get a 2/3 majority in the state Senate, they still won't be able to do anything, because they'll have that majority with guys like Lieberman and Bayh.

They can still pass important legislation like declaring the first week of March "No Cussing Week", though.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Prediction: even if CA Dems get a 2/3 majority in the state Senate, they still won't be able to do anything, because they'll have that majority with guys like Lieberman and Bayh.
    They can still pass important legislation like declaring the first week of March "No Cussing Week", though.
    God, the kid who started that is such a little shit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blanche Lincoln may be losing the primary instead of the general.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Jesus Christ. I hate my state legislature.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God, the kid who started that is such a little shit.

It was probably Tube. I mean, look at what he did here.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The bulk of politicians in Texas fight against government spending. Recently, though, the federal government was considering diverting funds for NASA away from Houston. Today, there were protests in Florida and Houston to keep those jobs where they are.

"We want government to be small and not spend more than it needs to ... wait! Come back, we need those government jobs!"

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The bulk of politicians in Texas fight against government spending. Recently, though, the federal government was considering diverting funds for NASA away from Houston. Today, there were protests in Florida and Houston to keep those jobs where they are.

"We want government to be small and not spend more than it needs to ... wait! Come back, we need those government jobs!"

You say this like it's revelatory. With the exception of Texas and maybe one other the 'red' states are subsidized by the 'blue' states thanks to how Federal dollars are appropriated and have been for decades.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A little weird, but I give an old white technophobe credit for putting in some good effort.

But he better stay the fuck away from Seattle's new Google cable. Hands off, old man!

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A little weird, but I give an old white technophobe credit for putting in some good effort.

But he better stay the fuck away from Seattle's new Google cable. Hands off, old man!

Man, they fucking run those commercials ever other minute here, and I live in fucking Lawrence.

And it is isn't a ThinkBigTopeka.com commercial, then they are running a scrolling text ticker at the bottom of every other commercial. It's kind of fucking annoying.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Patersons police chief resigned today

Looks like NY might have another temporary governor soon

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Caught the second half of the CT Republican Senate Candidate debate. Seems to be a race between generic "Big government is evil!" conservative (Schiff), generic fiscal conservative (McMahon) and generic military "I didn't do two tours in Vietnam to see our country be destroyed by liberals!" conservative (Simmons). Although I do give credit to Schiff for saying that most republicans would support everything Obama is doing if Bush were doing them (Bailouts, stimulus package).

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    WA Legislature toughens cell phone driving law.

On a 60-37 vote Thursday, the House passed a bill that makes it a primary offense to be caught holding a cellphone to your ear while driving, or to be reading, writing or sending text messages. That strengthens the state's current secondary offense law for both, which only slaps drivers with an extra fine if they are pulled over for another infraction, such as speeding.

Washington Democrats managed to pass this bill, but couldn't agree on a budget. A special session has been confirmed.

Slider on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    WA Legislature toughens cell phone driving law.

On a 60-37 vote Thursday, the House passed a bill that makes it a primary offense to be caught holding a cellphone to your ear while driving, or to be reading, writing or sending text messages. That strengthens the state's current secondary offense law for both, which only slaps drivers with an extra fine if they are pulled over for another infraction, such as speeding.

Washington Democrats managed to pass this bill, but couldn't agree on a budget. A special session has been confirmed.

Yeah, I don't blame em. People who use their phones while driving are a fucking menace and it is completely endemic in Seattle.

I hope they enforce the shit out of this one. Make up the entire budget shortfall off of shitheads in SUVs talking on their damn phones.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

So, how's that "no income tax" strategy working out for you?

Because income tax reliance is such a great thing as you head into a deep recession anyway?

Speaker on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard the most ridiculous attack ad on the radio the other day, for the California Gubernatorial election that is. Without any knowledge of this "Meg" person than the ads she supports, I am inclined to believe she is a smarmy goose.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I heard the most ridiculous attack ad on the radio the other day, for the California Gubernatorial election that is. Without any knowledge of this "Meg" person than the ads she supports, I am inclined to believe she is a smarmy goose.
    Your inclination is well founded.

• Options
    edited March 2010

Pretty much. She's going to find out that voters don't like to think that you're trying to buy the election.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Pretty much. She's going to find out that voters don't like to think that you're trying to buy the election.

I'm sort of confused though, we haven't even done Primaries yet as far as I know, is she so confident of winning the Republican one (I looked her up) that she's willing to blow huge chunks of cash on ads for the general already?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    She's a gazillionaire, so she doesn't have to worry about money. Going after Jerry Brown does seem premature though; Poizner (her Republican opponent) could very well beat her in the primary.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I think her confidence comes from the fact that Poizner's lost the teabag contingent.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Bill White has gone on the offensive in Texas against Gov. Goodhair. He attacked Perry's budget cuts as Soviet style government.

Thomamelas on