Options

State and Local [Politics] 2010

13»

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So Bill White has gone on the offensive in Texas against Gov. Goodhair. He attacked Perry's budget cuts as Soviet style government.

Which is really fucking dumb. We have a pretty huge budget whole to fill, and the 5% cuts will inevitably include some exemptions for programs that can't afford to be cut.

I think White can differentiate himself fiscally well enough just by not completely rejecting the idea of a tax increase(dangerous though it may be), but I think it's really dumb to think that some level of budget cutting is not part of the solution.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Ny is in a potential constitutional crisis.

Cuomo the state AG is a frontrunner for Governor next time around(despite not formally declaring) is also in charge of investigating Gov. Paterson's corruption allegations

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Last night I heard on the radio that he'd already recused himself and designated some retired judge or justice to run the investigation.

Septus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    So Bill White has gone on the offensive in Texas against Gov. Goodhair. He attacked Perry's budget cuts as Soviet style government.

Which is really fucking dumb. We have a pretty huge budget whole to fill, and the 5% cuts will inevitably include some exemptions for programs that can't afford to be cut.

I think White can differentiate himself fiscally well enough just by not completely rejecting the idea of a tax increase(dangerous though it may be), but I think it's really dumb to think that some level of budget cutting is not part of the solution.

White's actually stated that he isn't opposed to a tax increase. The specifics of the attack that the idea of a general 5% budget cut is silly compared to the idea of targeted cuts. He's not opposed to raising taxes, or budget cuts. But the global 5% cut is political grandstanding because it lets Perry state that he "reduced government". Always a popular choice for a Texas politician.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    White's actually stated that he isn't opposed to a tax increase. The specifics of the attack that the idea of a general 5% budget cut is silly compared to the idea of targeted cuts. He's not opposed to raising taxes, or budget cuts. But the global 5% cut is political grandstanding because it lets Perry state that he "reduced government". Always a popular choice for a Texas politician.

So far, only 5% budget reduction proposals have been issued. A lot was exempted, and further exemptions to specific agency plans will be made. Additionally, agencies are not all submitting plans that cut each of their programs by 5%, they're submitting plans that target certain areas of their budgets that achieve a 5% cut to their entire general revenue budget.

This is not going to be a blind across the board cut. I also don't think cuts that aren't somewhat general in a legislative interim are not politically palatable to the House and Senate members who don't get a say on what is cut.

Septus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

So far, only 5% budget reduction proposals have been issued. A lot was exempted, and further exemptions to specific agency plans will be made. Additionally, agencies are not all submitting plans that cut each of their programs by 5%, they're submitting plans that target certain areas of their budgets that achieve a 5% cut to their entire general revenue budget.

This is not going to be a blind across the board cut. I also don't think cuts that aren't somewhat general in a legislative interim are not politically palatable to the House and Senate members who don't get a say on what is cut.

Even when Perry announced the cuts it wasn't going to add up to 5% because he stated to not even look at things that had any federal funding. But that's not what Perry's campaign was planning to say. That announced cut was purely political grandstanding so Perry could say in his campaign that he cut "big government".

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh Perry is all about grandstanding, but it seems pretty clear that White was criticizing the exercise itself.

Septus on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Ny is in a potential constitutional crisis.

Cuomo the state AG is a frontrunner for Governor next time around(despite not formally declaring) is also in charge of investigating Gov. Paterson's corruption allegations
    I thought he'd turned the investigation over to a former judge. I could've sworn I heard that yesterday...

[ed] Yeah, here we go. NY Times article.
    ALBANY — Facing growing political pressure, Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo on Thursday appointed an independent counsel to take over his office’s investigation into the Paterson administration’s response to a domestic violence case.

Mr. Cuomo said Judith S. Kaye, the former chief judge of New York, would lead the inquiry, along with an investigation into whether the governor lied when he was questioned by the State Commission on Public Integrity about his office’s solicitation of Yankees World Series tickets.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh Perry is all about grandstanding, but it seems pretty clear that White was criticizing the exercise itself.

The budget cuts? That he wasn't since his following statements spoke of the virtues of a through budget reading and making cuts to the budget from there, and renegotiating vendor contracts.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arizona House votes to cut about $1 billion in K-12 funding. All Dems oppose. Quelland only R "no" vote.

Who cares about public education when you can just send YOUR kid to a private school. And you don't have to worry about him catching anything from those poor brown folks. Arizona is problematic in terms of education due to three groups constantly taking away our funding; hardcore libertarians, hardcore evangelicals, and the retirees. Considering Arizona is a very red state to begin with, it is not hard for these 3 groups to convince other people that education the FUTURE is somehow a massive swindling of their cash. Everyone is very bootstraps and selfish with little long term vision. Every man for himself shouldl be our state motto. We might as well still be the Wild West.

Tl;DR : Arizona is lesilature greedy and racist suprising no one

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The budget cuts? That he wasn't since his following statements spoke of the virtues of a through budget reading and making cuts to the budget from there, and renegotiating vendor contracts.

From Businessweek: "White criticized Perry in particular for calling on state agencies to trim their spending by 5 percent to prepare for rough times ahead for the state budget. He promised to take the scalpel-not-a-hatchet approach to the budget."

The meaning I glean from this, is that White either doesn't know what Perry(and Speaker and Lt. Governor) asked for and would likely decide on, or he just disapproves of the exercise itself.

Septus on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Arizona House votes to cut about $1 billion in K-12 funding. All Dems oppose. Quelland only R "no" vote.

Who cares about public education when you can just send YOUR kid to a private school. And you don't have to worry about him catching anything from those poor brown folks. Arizona is problematic in terms of education due to three groups constantly taking away our funding; hardcore libertarians, hardcore evangelicals, and the retirees. Considering Arizona is a very red state to begin with, it is not hard for these 3 groups to convince other people that education the FUTURE is somehow a massive swindling of their cash. Everyone is very bootstraps and selfish with little long term vision. Every man for himself shouldl be our state motto. We might as well still be the Wild West.

Tl;DR : Arizona is lesilature greedy and racist suprising no one

They need that $1 Billion to pay for the leases on their government buildings.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm resuscitating this thread because of recent developments in the Florida Senate race.

So Charlie Crist is on the ropes, at least as a Republican. For months he has been trailing Rubio as the hard right asserts more control over the GOP. Then, he vetoed a Republican championed education bill (which, incidentally, sucked ass and was an obvious attempt to kill the teacher's union, the Florida Education Association), and with the stroke of a pen he effectively ceded the Republican nomination to Marco Rubio. Marco Rubio has since gotten major endorsements from big Republican names, and his former endorsements have rescinded their endorsements and thrown in their lots with Rubio. Even the NRSC and the RNC are washing their hands of him.

Their is good news for Crist amidst the bad news. He's a pretty popular governor with anyone who isn't far right or far left (and even the far left isn't as down on him as the far right). He has a fundraising advantage for now. Since this is a Senate race, gerrymandering that has effectively enshrined Republican control over state government will not matter, which means that the slight numbers advantage that the middle and right have will matter. And polls show that in a three way race, he'd narrowly edge out both Kendrick Meek (the presumed Democratic candidate) and Rubio.

So what we effectively have in Florida is a Senate race that will largely be decided by Crist. Republicans fear Crist going independent because their chances of holding the seat go from virtually assured to unlikely. Democrats view the situation as positive because Crist as an independent gives them a chance to take the seat with a dark horse candidate, and it gives them yet another option making a deal with Crist to support him in exchange for caucusing with them.

Crist, though, has only two choices: end his political career by acquiescing to the GOP and stepping aside for Rubio, or end his career in the GOP by going independent. It's too late to switch parties and doing so would look like a cynical political ploy. An independent run, bolstered by his decently populist record (especially for a Republican) and great name recognition among the less politically savvy, gives him a pretty good advantage. He can use the independent run to not only appeal to the middle, but also to point out how extreme the Republican party is that it would push him out for "doing what's best for Florida, not the Republican party".

Hes got a week to decide, when the deadline for filing to be on the ballot comes. Either way, I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep Rubio out of that Senate seat, up to and including lobbying Crist to run independent and the Democrats to consider supporting Crist if it looks like Meek and Crist combined can't beat Rubio. I will probably even forgo my intent to try to oust Allen Boyd as the Democratic candidate for my district if it means we can get a reasonable independent or Blue Dog Senator out of the deal.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Meek is making a fairly good showing considering we haven't even had a primary yet, with no campaigning and nobody knowing who he is yet.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Meek is making a fairly good showing considering we haven't even had a primary yet, with no campaigning and nobody knowing who he is yet.

That's institutional Democratic support. He's not getting a credible primary opponent that I know of, and consistent Democratic voters are probably 40-45% of the electorate. However, a lot of Democrats like Crist, and this is a non-presidential voting year, so all the gains in voter registration from 2008 will not be as big an impact. He's got a tough road ahead, but he'll go from dark horse to sacrificial lamb if Crist bows out.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

That's institutional Democratic support. He's not getting a credible primary opponent that I know of, and consistent Democratic voters are probably 40-45% of the electorate. However, a lot of Democrats like Crist, and this is a non-presidential voting year, so all the gains in voter registration from 2008 will not be as big an impact. He's got a tough road ahead, but he'll go from dark horse to sacrificial lamb if Crist bows out.

I've almost no doubt if Crist goes Indy, he's got it locked up. The two of them need to set their collective sights on Rubio and he'll go down like a wet bag. All they need to do is keep running ads showing his support for SB6 and privatizing social security and he's gone.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

I've almost no doubt if Crist goes Indy, he's got it locked up. The two of them need to set their collective sights on Rubio and he'll go down like a wet bag. All they need to do is keep running ads showing his support for SB6 and privatizing social security and he's gone.

Ahahahahahaa what? With both Crist's and the democratic fundraising machine, this should take away all but his looniest supporters, even with fat shills like Preston Scott locally or Hannity nationally supporting him.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think her confidence comes from the fact that Poizner's lost the teabag contingent.

Poizner never had it because he's never been viewed as a serious candidate. He has a pittance of money compared to Whitman and has been trailing in the polls by almost 30 points from the start.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So the Lt. Governor of Tennessee Ron Ramsey is running for Governor. Not really notable except for the commercials he's running that sound a lot like secession.

I wish I could find a video. Essentially he goes through the "Tennessee way" (a bunch of horse shit about being conservative, tightening you belt, etc., really he should go with being in the bottom of education and top of obesity especially being from Blount county) and the "Washington way." And ends the whole thing with "And if they (Washington) don't like it, we'll give them the boot."

Invisible on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God, I hope Crist runs as an indie.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In my new home state of Maryland, former governor Robert Ehrlich (R) is going for a rematch against current governor [strike]Tommy Carcetti[/strike] Martin O'Malley (D). I think people might be watching this one. I'm new to Maryland politics, although they seem somewhat similar to the politics of my old state, New York, in that the governorship is a two-party race while the major city mayorship is not, there's a stark divide between the people in the city and the people in the sticks, national races are slanted so strongly Dem that neither party dumps much money into the state, and prominent politicians occasionally end up in jail during their term.

Basically all I know about Ehrlich: before he was governor he was in Congress, where he didn't really do much; he ran against a disorganized, unpopular incumbent and had a locally-known black politican as his running mate (a certain Michael Steele, you might have heard of him); and he was a one-term governor who tried not to raise taxes, tried and failed to legalize slot machines, vetoed some largely ineffective health care bill (as far as I can tell the only company affected would be Wal-Mart), reinstated the death penalty, and tried to clean up the Bay a little. Then an up-and-comer (the current incumbent) beat him on his first reelection bid.

O'Malley, the current governor, was mayor of Baltimore, where he tried to make the city not suck so bad and was met with some limited success. He spent a short six years as mayor before making a bid for governor. (Sidenote: his successor as mayor of Baltimore, [strike]Nerese Campbell[/strike] Sheila Dixon, ended up getting convicted of embezzlement and impeached a few months ago over some phenominally stupid bullshit involving stealing gift cards from a charity. Remember, kids, The Wire was a documentary, like Office Space.) As governor, he had to raise taxes to make up for the previous Republican's deficit (I'm detecting a theme here), authorized speed cameras, and then your general unpopular-but-necessary dealing with the collapse of our national economy stuff.

Now Ehrlich wants a rematch. No word on his new running mate yet; I guess this "Michael Steele" is busy or something.

Basically I'm having trouble giving a whole lot of a shit, and am leaning towards O'Malley largely because the drivers with the Ehrlich bumper stickers seem to be more assholish than your average Marylander, not that anyone knows how to fucking drive down here to begin with. (They don't even have a damn cellphone ban down here yet. Let's see if O'Malley can sign that before the election; he'd seal the deal for me.) The thing that worries me is that I'm already hearing media mumblings about using this as some kind of microcosm for the national psyche or some such nonsense. Although maybe that won't happen now that Florida is putting on more of a show.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »
    vetoed some largely ineffective health care bill (as far as I can tell the only company affected would be Wal-Mart),

Actually, it was a very effective bill, aimed at ending Walmart using MD social services as their benefit plan and pocketing the savings. There were other companies that fell under its auspices, but they were already abiding by the rules, so they weren't forced to pay into the social net as compensation for using it as the company plan.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum