As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rise of the Silver Surfer.

NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Yes that movie "The Fantastic Four" sucked all kinds of balls.

In my righteous opinion the Johnny Storm and Thing characters were well done, and almost (allllmost) made the film watchable.

so here we are again.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantasticfourriseofthesilversurfer/large.html Teaser Trailer.

I was mildly impressed by what they did for the trailer. A whole movie like this would warrant a watch (rent) from me..

Show me a properly done CG galactus and I will be happy.

:winky:
Nalouto on

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure it's Ultimate Galactus and not Totally Bitchin' Galactus

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nalouto wrote:
    Show me a properly done CG galactus and I will be happy.
    Considering how much they fucked up on Doctor Doom, by turning the supervillain who inspired DARTH VADER into some common putz, do you really trust them to handle the cosmic devourer of worlds?

I don't.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ultimate Galactus people, not Planet Devouring Super-Awesome Gigantic Man Galactus.

Does no one understand what this means?

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Silver Surfer looks like the T-1000. He should have been more matte.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it's Ultimate Galactus and not Totally Bitchin' Galactus

I kinda like something about a villain so powerful that Reed can

[spoiler:27ee73a278]Destroy a universe and use the energy to hurt Ultimate Gal-Lak-Tus and still have it only kill like 10% of him.[/spoiler:27ee73a278]

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Ultimate Galactus people, not Planet Devouring Super-Awesome Gigantic Man Galactus.

Hivemind robot armada.

There. Shit.

And I´ve read somewhere, that Galactus is indeed in this movie.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Gah Lak Tus

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Haphazard wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Hivemind robot armada.

There. Shit.

And I´ve read somewhere, that Galactus is indeed in this movie.
    I've read that it's Gah Lak Tus

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Ultimate Marvel

Ultimate Galactus, called Gah Lak Tus, was introduced in the Ultimate Galactus trilogy written by Warren Ellis. Gah Lak Tus is first mentioned by Ultimate Vision, now an early warning system for worlds under threat by Gah Lak Tus. Gah Lak Tus is an immense (approx. 100,000 miles long) group mind of skyscraper-sized robotic drones, and attacks worlds with envoys (resembling the Silver Surfer) and then a flesh-eating virus which destroys all life. After this the entity breaks open the dying world and sucks all thermal energy from the core. Gah Lak Tus considers all forms and expressions of organic life to be so abhorrent it believed itself desecrated when telepathically contacted by Professor X.[16]

Oh yeah, that's much better.

The only thing worse is the fact that I would trust the movie Fantastic Fantastic Four to handle a car jacking, much less a cosmic being. I mean, this is a superhero team who's big claim to fame was the fact that they managed to avert a minor bridge disaster that they themselves created.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Are you actually suggesting that Gah Lak Tus is cooler than Galactus?

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:

I'm suggesting that it's just as fucked up to think that the movie Fantastic Four could so much as make them notice him. Honestly, what's the most impressive thing that any of them pulled off in the first movie? Lift up a car? Stretch really long? Whoop-dee-doo.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Isn't that pretty much all they do in the first place

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    It has the advantage of being easier to make look not 100% retarded than a guy as tall as planet.

Especially for filmmakers as unskilled as these douches.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    It has the advantage of being easier to make look not 100% retarded than a guy as tall as planet.

But he EATS PLANETS

Like: Do you feel like mexican Mrs. Galactus? LETS JUST EAT THE WHOLE DAMN PLANET THERE IS BOUND TO BE SOME MEXICAN FOOD ON THERE SOMEWHERE

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, the chase between the Torch and the Surfer depicted in the trailer was kinda good looking.

I´ll keep my (mighty low) hopes up.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Isn't that pretty much all they do in the first place

In the comics, they had several dozen issues worth of continuity in order to build up their reputations, powers, and experience. They weren't fighting fucking Galactus by issue two.

Further, they pretty much established Mr. Fantastic as the smartest guy on the Earth, and showed off what they actually meant by demonstrating one Fantastic accomplishment after another. They didn't go straight from "idiot who neglects to put radiation shielding on his spaceship", to fighting fucking Galactus.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Man Galactus is just a stupid stupid idea for a character. Like take Plastic Man and make him about a million times more retarded. Even when I was 6 it was clear to me how retarded Galactus is.

Fuck Galactus. Fuck that guy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Isn't Ultimate Galactus some Borg ripoff or something?

Edit: I'll take the above posts as a yes

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They need to use Galactus in this movie for practice so that they can do Unicron correctly in the next Transformers live-action movie.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

WTF?

Galactus, as a character, predates the Borg for several decades. His character also has absolutely nothing to do with the Borg. From Wikipedia:

Galactus:Galactus is considered one of the five essential entities within the Marvel Universe alongside Eternity, Death, Infinity, and Oblivion. Galactus has been referred to as the "third force of the universe"[6] and "one corner of that great triangle which is the universe" by Eternity and Death, respectively. Eternity and Death each consider Galactus a peer and a sibling, with Death actually referring to Galactus as "husband, father, brother, and son." [7]

[edit] The Devourer of Worlds

Galactus requires unfathomable energies obtainable only from certain types of planets in order to sustain his life. The suitable type of planet need not be one where life is present, but it must have the potential to support life. Galactus usually employs a herald to scout the universe for those suitable types of planets. When the suitable planet is found, Galactus will usually land on the planet's surface and assemble his Elemental Converter, a colossal machine capable of draining all life energy from the planet within minutes. Galactus has been known to devour planets without the aid of his Elemental Converter on occasion, but the device makes the process more efficient. [8] Galactus, seeing himself as a higher being, usually will not avoid a suitable planet simply because it is home to sentient life. Thus, over billions of years he has become one of the most feared beings in the universe, his vast power allowing him to lay waste to innumerable extra-terrestrial civilizations in his quest for sustenance.

Nevertheless, he is not an evil being, but rather a force of nature whose feedings are necessary for survival. It is known that Galactus plays a necessary role in the continuum of the Marvel Universe, bringing balance between the two opposing universal forces of Death and Eternity; who are in essence the Yin and Yang of the Marvel universe. Eternity has stated that the universe would fail, falling into stasis then collapsing without Galactus' presence to balance it. [9] It has been suggested by some that his purpose in the universe is to devour planets that have reached an evolutionary peak, although alternative information suggests that he will create a whole new universe at the end of this one, a universe which will be immeasurably greater than the total of the planets he has devoured; thus giving back far more than he has ever taken. [10]

The Borg:

The Borg are an amalgam of humanoids of many different species that are enhanced with implanted cybernetics, giving them improved mental and physical abilities. The name Borg is short for cyborg (cybernetic organism). The Borg function as automata; the minds of all Borg drones are connected via implants and networks to a hive mind, the Borg Collective, personified by the Borg Queen and controlled from a central hub, Unimatrix One. According to themselves, the Borg only seek to "improve the quality of life for all species" by integrating organic and synthetic components in their quest for perfection. To this end, they travel the galaxy, increasing their numbers and advancing by "assimilating" other species and their technologies, and subjugating captured individuals by injecting them with nanoprobes and surgically implanting prostheses, quickly changing their biological anatomy and biochemistry to the Borg standard.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Man Galactus is just a stupid stupid idea for a character. Like take Plastic Man and make him about a million times more retarded. Even when I was 6 it was clear to me how retarded Galactus is.

How is Galactus at all like Plastic Man? You're stupid. Galactus is awesome.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

They share the trait of retardedness, though admittedly to different degrees.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

WTF?

For such a geek it's pretty sad to misinterpret the importance of the word "Ultimate" in the above.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

You realize Reed Richards has the same exact powers as plastic man? Yes? Yes.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Reed Richards is a little bit silly as well, but he doesn't have the full goofiness of Plastic Man what with his goggles and sttiched-up open-front suit and jokiness and such.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    For such a geek it's pretty sad to misinterpret the importance of the word "Ultimate" in the above.

Ah, my bad.

Still, the Borg rely on assimilation. Ultimate Galactus doesn't give a damn about that.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Ah, my bad.

Still, the Borg rely on assimilation. Ultimate Galactus doesn't give a damn about that.
    Hive mind

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You know, I really like Warren Ellis. But his Ultimate Gah Lak Tus? Not so much.

About Galactus being rediculous:

Ok, a Godzilla sized human in a blue/purple dress is rather strange.

But after seeing the rendered shots of him in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game, I have to admit Iwas pleasently surprised how cool he looked.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

Uh... no?

Plastic Man can change himself into anything, even stuff with moving parts. The closest Marvel analogue I can think of is the Impossible Man.

Reed just stretches.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Big G is also supposed to vary in appearance by the species that views him.

Honestly, I wouldn't be horrified if they drastically altered his appearance ala X-Men Movie, so long as it was still a gargantuan humanoid who was not in fact evil.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    So basically this thread is about everything BUT the Silver Surfer.

[spoiler:7a538ea97d]lol[/spoiler:7a538ea97d]

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ege02 wrote:

[spoiler:89c003af09]lol[/spoiler:89c003af09]

Because, so far, they seem to have pretty much gotten him right.

It's hard to talk about something one approves of.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ege02 wrote:

[spoiler:42d955df7c]lol[/spoiler:42d955df7c]

The silver surfer is pretty much interwoven with Galactus.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i was actually fond of Gah Lak Tus in the Ultimate storyline, and i was very pleased with the means used to bring it down. my big qualm about both incarnations of galactus is why they seemingly only target habited worlds. i mean, in the ultimate version, it passed big, juicy jupiter right by. WTF? that's good eats! if you need rocky shit, i's not like there isn't a perfectly tasty mars over there.

i was less fond of the ultimate version(s) of the silver serfer. they didn't really fit the plot so much, and seemed unnecessarily and sloppily wedged in.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Goumindong wrote:
    ege02 wrote:

[spoiler:0c69f304a8]lol[/spoiler:0c69f304a8]

The silver surfer is pretty much interwoven with Galactus.

Hence my little "lol" in the spoiler.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    i was actually fond of Gah Lak Tus in the Ultimate storyline, and i was very pleased with the means used to bring it down. my big qualm about both incarnations of galactus is why they seemingly only target habited worlds. i mean, in the ultimate version, it passed big, juicy jupiter right by. WTF? that's good eats! if you need rocky shit, i's not like there isn't a perfectly tasty mars over there.

i was less fond of the ultimate version(s) of the silver serfer. they didn't really fit the plot so much, and seemed unnecessarily and sloppily wedged in.

Pff, jupiter is nothing but gas.

You don't wanna make a being like Galactus fart, do you?

ege02 on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure 616 Galactus eats plenty of uninhabited worlds. It's just that it's always off panel, because there's little conflict in watching him devour an uninhabited planet.

As for Gah Lak Tus, we know the thing has an incredible dislike for any sentient species (like Prof. X said, the thing felt "defiled" just by mental contact). It's possible Gah Lak Tus goes out of its way to destroy these civillizations not just for food, but also because it could figure that if it destroys them soon enough, they won't have time to spread into the universe and make it a disgusting place to move about in.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Uh... I'm pretty sure 616 Galactus only consumes inhabited worlds. Uninhabited worlds can't feed him. What he's consuming is lifeforce.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I believe it was said that he only eats worlds CAPABLE of supporting life.

It's just that life usually finds a way.

Into his belleh.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To be honest, I like Ultimate Galactus more than original Galactus in concept, because that mystic "five essential beings" bullshit is really hokey - but what can you expect from Marvel, really? I prefer an incomprehensibly enormous machine that strips worlds bare and then cracks them open and drinks their thermal energy.

I do like the idea of a terrifying enormous, vaguely robotic humanoid more than a bunch of skyscrapers, though.

Evil Multifarious on