As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 2-17-10: Red Lanterns Make Every Wednesday Ash Wednesday

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Graphic Violence
GLC #45, so much good stuff, so little space:

Mogo makes Guy trip out with his Red vs. Green self, and the the others subdue him. Some nice panels of Ice and Guy's Dad being the different ring colors personified. Since there is no Blue Lantern around to cleanse him, Mogo gets exxxxtreeeeme:

glc45a.jpg

glc45b.jpg

And then the leeches have a page that is really creepy where they fix Guy's blood

glc45c.jpg

D'awww. Bromance to the bro-max, bra.
And Guy apologizes for hurting some of the team.

glc45d.jpg

I just like Miri's reaction there. I thought Guy would pat her on the butt.

And the GL's and Indigos (some new members) leave for Earth to go save the day.

TexiKen on
«1

Posts

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Dark Avengers was all kinds of sugar-coated awesome.






    da14013014.jpg
    da14016.jpg
    da14017.jpg
    da14018.jpg
    da14020.jpg
    da14021022.jpg
    da14024.jpg


    DA should be renamed to "Norman has balls made of Adamantium fuelled by the power of 10,000 exploding suns"

    DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And GL #51, Mahnke knocks a meddling plot out of the park, and it looks like they might just be scanning in his pencils now to color:

    Hal/Parallax kills BL Spectre, but the real one is hella upset:

    gl51a.jpg

    ouch, talk about bad skincare hahahahahah?

    gl51b.jpg

    gl51c.jpg

    edit: And Norman is a lot cooler now than Fury is.

    TexiKen on
  • StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

    Holy hell...

    I have not followed comics other than MOTW's or Daily_Scans (Which I try to not think of) but... Norman is great.

    Dumb question, does he fly the Iron Patriot from a remote place or is he in the armor?

    StygianSmileyFace on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He's in the armor, it's an effect they did with Tony Stark a few years ago and have stuck with it. You have all the information around you because the armor is so advanced. The first time I saw that effect I thought the same thing.

    TexiKen on
  • tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dark Avengers #14 looks pretty hardcore.

    Solar on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    How come you guys are quoting me and they're not turning into the images?

    DarkWarrior on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He's in the armor, it's an effect they did with Tony Stark a few years ago and have stuck with it. You have all the information around you because the armor is so advanced. The first time I saw that effect I thought the same thing.

    Pretty sure that was the effect to show off Extremis and tony interfacing with machines; not a fancy VR simulation of information/artist interpretation of how a hud for the armour would be for "normal people".

    KVW on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You have to put the img] tags on them.
    KVW wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He's in the armor, it's an effect they did with Tony Stark a few years ago and have stuck with it. You have all the information around you because the armor is so advanced. The first time I saw that effect I thought the same thing.

    Pretty sure that was the effect to show off Extremis and tony interfacing with machines; not a fancy VR simulation of information/artist interpretation of how a hud for the armour would be for "normal people".

    I think Finch did it in Disassembled first, but I could be wrong. Yeah it was to showcase Extremis, but it looks like they've kept it, like when Tony had been going back to previous armors in his own book the blackout effect was there (or not, I can't remember a lot of Fraction's Iron Man work).

    TexiKen on
  • StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You have to put the img] tags on them.
    KVW wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He's in the armor, it's an effect they did with Tony Stark a few years ago and have stuck with it. You have all the information around you because the armor is so advanced. The first time I saw that effect I thought the same thing.

    Pretty sure that was the effect to show off Extremis and tony interfacing with machines; not a fancy VR simulation of information/artist interpretation of how a hud for the armour would be for "normal people".

    I think Finch did it in Disassembled first, but I could be wrong. Yeah it was to showcase Extremis, but it looks like they've kept it, like when Tony had been going back to previous armors in his own book the blackout effect was there (or not, I can't remember a lot of Fraction's Iron Man work).

    Oh, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out why Norman would be sitting naked in a room controlling the Iron Patriot.

    Not that it surprised me mind you... Just was wondering.

    StygianSmileyFace on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It made sense for extremis, because his mind was basically a super computer at that point. He was visualizing himself at a control panel, which made sense in regards to controlling his own body much like you would control a suit. He was able to internalize everything.

    The metaphor just doesn't work in any other case, and it's pretty confusing for Norman to be shown like that.

    Unless I misunderstood what they were trying to do there, or if there has been an explanation as to why he can do something like that.

    Langly on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Finch did showcase the "naked guy controlling the armor" thing in Disassembled first, before Extremis. Don't know if that was the debut or someone showcased it before though. I think Kirkman was writing Iron man at the time.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone picked up Doomwar? Is it worth buying?

    Delduwath on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up Doomwar? Is it worth buying?

    I got it, and will post something after work later. Eaton's art from flipping through looked pretty good.

    It is $4, but it's 40 pages of real story, no fillers. So it has that going for it.

    TexiKen on
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if Deadpool promoting the new comic Hitman Monkey is stupid, hillarious, or awesome.

    MisterBibs on

    kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man,

    I can't tell if Norman actually understands Robert or is just trying to con him.

    Which I guess is the point. Good stuff.

    noir_blood on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dark Avengers was all kinds of sugar-coated awesome.






    da14013014.jpg
    da14016.jpg
    da14017.jpg
    da14018.jpg
    da14020.jpg
    da14021022.jpg
    da14024.jpg


    DA should be renamed to "Norman has balls made of Adamantium fuelled by the power of 10,000 exploding suns"

    mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JLA #42 is very good. It has 40 pages of story, so the large JLA roster gets decent screentime without feeling compressed, and also has the Challengers of the Unknown, the Metal Men, AND the Power Company in it. This is the Robinson I want to read from, as it seems like this is his #1 book now, compared to other recent works, Superman included.

    It reminds me of Busiek's Avengers after Heroes Reborn, with a good team story only with more modern dialogue. And Bagley rules, like so:
    jla42a.jpg

    I like to think the person imitating Metron (we aren't told if they are new gods, they just have the technology) is an homage to Kong

    TexiKen on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love Atrocitus to death.


    TO DEATH!

    Crimsondude on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe

    In the angriest manner possible

    Furu on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's what I thought the red lanterns would originally be. Anger leading to motivation to just kill all the baddies, Space Punishers. Then it turned out to be death metal rage and screaming in german about how your computer won't play Quake.

    TexiKen on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    mts wrote: »
    Dark Avengers was all kinds of sugar-coated awesome.






    da14013014.jpg
    da14016.jpg
    da14017.jpg
    da14018.jpg
    da14020.jpg
    da14021022.jpg
    da14024.jpg


    DA should be renamed to "Norman has balls made of Adamantium fuelled by the power of 10,000 exploding suns"

    Actually, now that I think about it, Norman says "Tony Stark can". Seems a bit incorrect right now.

    DarkWarrior on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BN Flash #3
    Flash beats Reverse-Flash in Rebirth and he's locked up where the Rogues are fighting Black lanterns. No biggie,r ight? Well, the Black lanterns stop attacking the Rogues when they get near his cell, we get black lantern-o-vision and see Thawne strung up in his restraints, but he's all white and with a Brightest Day logo on his chest (sort of floating out of it like a GL-ring projecting the GL logo on some images). The Black Lanterns just stand there doing nothing and stare at him through the door.


    Atomic Robo and Revenge of the vampier Dimension #1
    "We're not trapped in here with them, they're trapped in here with Jenkins." [skip to jenkins turning vampires inside out, saving everyone and kicking vampire ass up and down the halls of Tesladyne]

    ALso, every other page in the book. Ill try to find some scans later.

    KVW on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The shop didn't have Atomic Robo when I went after work

    Also I picked up the reprint of the first issue of Last Stand of the Wreckers instead of the second issue, damn it all

    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is the first time in a WHILE I liked an issue of GL more than GLC
    The solution to Guy's rage was a little too out of left field for me.

    On the other hand, I really liked the fake out with the Spectre.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guys, Doomwar #1 is now my MOTW. This has done more in one issue than the last few issues of Uncanny or New Avengers.

    A complete dark horse but it's well written, easy to access for someone who knows nothing about Black Panther since Priest's run, Doom is a major asshole, and the story crafts that illusion that it will have lasting repercussions. And again, for $4 you get 40 real pages of story.

    Some choice pages, I would scan the whole issue if I could:
    Storm is tried and sentenced to death by the new Wakandan govt. TChalla and SHuri flee to Utopia:

    dw1a.jpg

    dw1b.jpg

    dw1c.jpg

    dw1d.jpg

    dw1e.jpg

    dw1f.jpg

    Nightcrawler bamfs them in...

    dw1g.jpg

    The issue also makes me want to pick up the trades of BP since Mayberry took over. Win-win-win.

    TexiKen on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Herc this week was a total bummer

    CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

    c9PXgFo.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gameboy in Joe The Barbarian

    Algertman on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm still not sold on Doom War, mostly because I'm not a Black Panther fan. But I have to admit that ending was amazing. Doom's pretty awesome too.

    Sharp101 on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do not like Black Panther. He's always been more dickish than Batman without any real positive traits. Geoff Johns didn't write him well (and he doesn't write Batman well, coincidence?), and Hudlin's work made me not care in general. What I read of Priest's run was good because it was much more espionage/secret agent compared to stories at the time.

    This is why Doomwar is so surprising. T'Challa is humble. He's smart, I sympathize with him. His sister is cool. Wakanda culture is still stupid, but not as bad.

    TexiKen on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Deadpool
    dpmwam8legioncps004.jpg
    dpmwam8legioncps010.jpg

    EDIT: YOu know what, I like Majin May. Shes tellin' it like it is sista'

    DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just how insidiously deep does the evil Atlas corporation go in our lives? Would you believe that they have taken over Benihana?

    Avengers vs. Atlas #2 backup

    Woo is at Atlas Hibachi, retrieving something for Mr. Lao. He fights a giant evil squid, crazy knife wielding chefs, and has the quality of puns that I have. And then it blows up:

    ava2a.jpg

    ava2b.jpg

    This has been a very good week for comics.

    TexiKen on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Just how insidiously deep does the evil Atlas corporation go in our lives? Would you believe that they have taken over Benihana?

    Avengers vs. Atlas #2 backup

    Woo is at Atlas Hibachi, retrieving something for Mr. Lao. He fights a giant evil squid, crazy knife wielding chefs, and has the quality of puns that I have. And then it blows up:

    ava2a.jpg

    ava2b.jpg

    This has been a very good week for comics.

    I just like how his eating SFX is "Nom nom nom"

    Spider-Man

    tasm621014.jpg
    tasm621013.jpg
    tasm621020.jpg



    DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And finally, Guardians #23, you'll be happy too, because Phyla does this:

    She frees [strike]the trapped Guardians[/strike] COSMO!

    gotg23a.jpg

    I don't care what nazi Greg Land lovers say, I like Wes Craig's art a lot.

    TexiKen on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GL and GLC were both excellent, but my moment of the week is the last issue of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, just the whole thing. I'm sad to see the series end as it was excellent from start to finish.

    Zaylenz on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    This is the first time in a WHILE I liked an issue of GL more than GLC
    The solution to Guy's rage was a little too out of left field for me.

    On the other hand, I really liked the fake out with the Spectre.

    I agree. I loved GL this week. The Spectre fight was really cool.

    Lucascraft on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Guys, Doomwar #1 is now my MOTW. This has done more in one issue than the last few issues of Uncanny or New Avengers.

    A complete dark horse but it's well written, easy to access for someone who knows nothing about Black Panther since Priest's run, Doom is a major asshole, and the story crafts that illusion that it will have lasting repercussions. And again, for $4 you get 40 real pages of story.

    Some choice pages, I would scan the whole issue if I could:
    Storm is tried and sentenced to death by the new Wakandan govt. TChalla and SHuri flee to Utopia:

    dw1a.jpg

    dw1b.jpg

    dw1c.jpg

    dw1d.jpg

    dw1e.jpg

    dw1f.jpg

    Nightcrawler bamfs them in...

    dw1g.jpg

    The issue also makes me want to pick up the trades of BP since Mayberry took over. Win-win-win.

    Yup, the last couple of pages of Doomwar are my MOTW, by far. Great start to the event, can't wait to see what happens.

    BostonGangler on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, Dark Avengers #14!
    Well, it's pretty clear that the Void is in the driving seat these days. Honestly at this point things aren't looking good for Thor.

    Solar on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thor is going to beat the Sentry like a red-headed stepchild.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thor is going to beat the Sentry like a red-headed stepchild.
    The Void is going to give Thor a run for his money.

    Solar on
Sign In or Register to comment.