Options

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »
    Hell, new strategies in SC1 are still being discovered over 10 years after that game came out, and units were still being rebalanced years after it came out. I don't know the specific number of years, but spawning pools, hatcheries, and academies all got their cost changed in sc1.

Difference is, right out of the gate SC2 already has a multi-million dollar industry relying on it being balanced over in Korea.

I understand that, and I think it looks more polished now than sc1 did when it first came out. I'm just saying these things take time. When did psi storm finish being balanced? Was the pro scene already going on then?

Psi storm was never balanced you goddamn dirty Protoss.

e: Wohoo! Some C rank Terran was beating the crap out of me with superior multitask for like 15 minutes and I couldn't do shit and he was holding his expansions. So I just ran 100 cracklings into his main and wiped it out. I don't need you SC2 I'M FINE AS IS OK!

Considering how far up the tech tree, the cost of research and the amount of energy needed, I'd say psi storm is just fine.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Playing against AI

In progress, stay tuned.

woo

Fuga on
  • Options
    ModainModain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am impressed by the auto-matchmaking for 1v1 so far. I'm like 5 games into my league and every game I lose I felt like I could have won, and for most games I've won it has been a pretty good fight. I had a victory where only my roach warren was left standing and I took out an island expansion with one corrupter and 2 mutas.

I guess there is a possibility that matchmaking is not actually that great any everyone playing right now sucks as much as me, but either way it works for me!

I'm in bronze division 2, whatever that means.

Modain on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what's up with the retarded names?

name.name

Fuga on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    So I hear that Larva Inject is super-broken. Can anyone currently playing confirm or deny?
    If I saw everything correctly so far, TL declared Zerg king at zero hour. Watching streams now, some platinum league folks apparently say Zerg is the crappy bastard race currently, yet at the same time, David Kim is rolling over everyone as them.

I guess what I'm saying is that a few days is not long enough for a proper metagame to emerge.

I can't wait til more pros get their hands on this and release vidyas. I'm loving watching the higher-ranked platinum dudes go at it.

Monsty on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I have no idea how to do a zerg rush. I mean, I know what it is, but I couldn't sit down in front of SC or SC II and actually do one.

My experience with RTS games is basically Age of Empires II, which I stopped playing because I thought the computer was cheap, and WC3, which I finished on normal mode.

Send out scouts, find eneamy base. While scouts are scouting, produce zerglings and a few drones which go get resources for you. Once you have about 10 zerglings, attack the enemy base and focus on killing their drones (MCVs or whatever) while the zerglings are off, build more drones, and a larger wave of zerglings. Be sure to control your zerglings to stop the opponent kiting them away from his mining fields. Hopefully your first zerglings will kill lots of their miners, giving you an unassailable advantage and winning the game when your next wave arrives. Even if victory is not immediate, economic damage should have broken your opponent so that every second your resource advantage rises.

The basic concept is....

Cost of Zerglings - Savings on fewer Drones + Lost resources from fewer drones < Cost of destroyed MCVs - Resources gained by opponent before destruction + Lost resources from harrasment and loss

If you can be greater in that equation, you win.

I understand the concept. I just don't know what the units actually look like, for instance.

I've never actually played StarCraft. I know it's like humans, aliens, and bug monster thingies (terran, protoss, zerg I think).

I could probably figure it out if I played it.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Are the 1, 2, 3, etc. boxes that appear above the selection window your control groups? My best guess and I haven't seen anyone talk about them yet.

Monsty on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

name.name

The first is the name everybody else sees, the second comes up in case someone else wanted the same first name. Seems unnecessary.
    Monsty wrote:
    Are the 1, 2, 3, etc. boxes that appear above the selection window your control groups? My best guess and I haven't seen anyone talk about them yet.

Yes. If you select a lot of units, numbered tabs also show up on the left because the unit select won't display them all on one tab or something.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Watching Louder play a PvP right now.
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=Louder

He lured the other guy's zealots down a ramp then dropped those force field things on the ramp, splittting up the guy's army. Then he just picked off the Zealots. Pretty nice move.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Fuga wrote: »

name.name

The first is the name everybody else sees, the second comes up in case someone else wanted the same first name. Seems unnecessary.

It allows people to heap scorn on everyone with xs or numbers in the second name?

jothki on
  • Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Louder's force field things are absolutely legendary - I watched him play a few games last night. He regularly ruined people with 2x as many units as he did with solid force field placement - particularly in chokes and on ramps.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Legendary? Isn't it a tad early to call them that?

What with the whole 'been used for less than a week' thing.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Watched one of the Terran kids over on teamliquid play David Kim twice today, got owned by the same strategy (Kim played Zerg), namely mutalisks and banelings.

Kim takes control of the map so fast... the replays are really great for learning.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    mrsinistermrsinister Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Clutch forcefield use has been a key part of the early Protoss game for more than a year. Putting them behind Marines while your zealots rush in is also awesome.

Let me know if you guys find any good TvP replays where the T wins.

mrsinister on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just watched him end a game with those forcefields. Split half his opponent's army between the top and bottom of the ramp and suddenly what was an evenly-matched force of zealots was a 2v1 followed immediately by a just-as-brutal 2v1.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

You seem to be under the impression a closed beta is the first time these people have played the game when TL people claim to have played over 50 games as zerg just at blizzcon and others were invited to the alpha. There have been plenty of chances for many of the more well known players to have played the game and most know of all the units and abilities within reason, as some did change throughout the past year or two.

But I will agree that 'legendary' is a bit much for a beta match-up.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man are siege tanks just no good anymore or what. I kinda miss the ol' giant siege lines inching toward your base.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man are siege tanks just no good anymore or what. I kinda miss the ol' giant siege lines inching toward your base.

From what I've seen they're still really good, just most people concentrate on 1st tier units right now. I think as people start playing closer games and figuring out timings we'll see more 2nd and 3rd tier units being made.

Edit: Plus tanks look pretty cool now (they did before too!).

Cauld on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just finished a game where about 10 stalkers and 2 immortals ran over like 4 sieged siege tanks and a bunch of marauders. I honestly didn't notice that the siege tanks were even there at first since they blended into my opponent's base and I didn't seem to be taking a lot of damage.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

You seem to be under the impression a closed beta is the first time these people have played the game when TL people claim to have played over 50 games as zerg just at blizzcon and others were invited to the alpha. There have been plenty of chances for many of the more well known players to have played the game and most know of all the units and abilities within reason, as some did change throughout the past year or two.

But I will agree that 'legendary' is a bit much for a beta match-up.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. I didn't really consider alphas and such.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nope, legendary. I will sing songs of his force fields to my grandchildren around bonfires.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Louder just lost to a Zerg.

He was testing out Archons and Templars. Suffice to say they don't stack up quite that well as the Colossi, Zealots and Dragoons or whatever the fuck they're called in SC2.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Garhghghhhghhhhh. Two of my friends got in. One of them has a crappy computer and can barely run the thing, he says it's basically unplayable. The other one doesn't really play much multi player Starcraft and is more interested in the actual release for single player. Garhahghghhhhhgrghrgrgrg.

God I know. I was watching a stream of someone who was just completely terrible and they got rolled and then quit. He is in the beta and I am not.

saaaadnessss
    I didn't sign up for the beta for two reasons: 1) I suck at multiplayer and I don't really learn anything from just being stomped, and 2) I would want to learn the units, and can't do that while getting stomped.

If there was a skirmish mode for the beta I think I'd be all over it, but I've heard nothing about such an option.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    mrsinistermrsinister Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I lost a few games (including one heartbreaker) I could have won with two siege tanks. But they don't seem very effective for turtling into an enemies base, especially compared to reavers running in and out.

mrsinister on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Garhghghhhghhhhh. Two of my friends got in. One of them has a crappy computer and can barely run the thing, he says it's basically unplayable. The other one doesn't really play much multi player Starcraft and is more interested in the actual release for single player. Garhahghghhhhhgrghrgrgrg.

God I know. I was watching a stream of someone who was just completely terrible and they got rolled and then quit. He is in the beta and I am not.

saaaadnessss
    I didn't sign up for the beta for two reasons: 1) I suck at multiplayer and I don't really learn anything from just being stomped, and 2) I would want to learn the units, and can't do that while getting stomped.

If there was a skirmish mode for the beta I think I'd be all over it, but I've heard nothing about such an option.

There's a skirmish mode, you can fight against the computer all day long if you want.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Woot in the beta. I feel bad because I suck hardcore at this game, but I love playing it. I wish there was some way to play against the AI and figure shit out. Next game I play though, I'm going to have the full tech tree right next to me with everything outlined. I just need to figure out if missile turrets have detect or not.

Edit: Thanks SuperWoot, I'll look for the skirmish mode.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You just have to create a custom game, then there's a button that should be like +AI to add a computer.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

saaaadnessss

You can play against AI opponents, the only setting right now is "Very Easy". Which is to say, giving the AI a little more credit than it's worth. I think they purposely made it the worst AI in existence in order to give you time to build whatever you want and time to read every single text tooltip, and have a coffee, and build a model airplane, write a novel, etc.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You just have to create a custom game, then there's a button that should be like +AI to add a computer.

Awesome thank you.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

saaaadnessss

You can play against AI opponents, the only setting right now is "Very Easy". Which is to say, giving the AI a little more credit than it's worth. I think they purposely made it the worst AI in existence in order to give you time to build whatever you want and time to read every single text tooltip, and have a coffee, and build a model airplane, write a novel, etc.
    So I probably won't tell you guys if I lose, then. :P

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm looking to find the map downloads so that I can watch replays, but they all seem to be hosted at sites I can't reach behind my current firewall. Does anyone have any ideas?

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Probably gotta bug someone in the beta.

Monsty on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what does that big shield thing the little protoss attack robot do?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just finished a game where about 10 stalkers and 2 immortals ran over like 4 sieged siege tanks and a bunch of marauders. I honestly didn't notice that the siege tanks were even there at first since they blended into my opponent's base and I didn't seem to be taking a lot of damage.

That sucks, marauders are a cool unit and all but I want to see huge lines of tanks asploding or turning hundreds of goons into delicious blue soup. Alas, it looks like they've been relegated to support units. Lucky them I suppose, considering lurkers and reavers are not even in.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    For those of us not in Beta:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-l7YHbafY
    This guy's kinda newbie and a bit of a geek but I'll let it slide cause this shit is in HD.

e: Aww it looked like he was all set to do some sort of SC2 version of 3hatch muta build but he just made 3 hatches and a spire and proceeded to suck. Really should have grabbed is 3rd and 4th gas at his natural sooner.

You know, he's not a perfect player, but I like this guy. He's really enthused and excited to be playing the game. I think that works in his favor rather than some bore that critiques every little move.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My coworker has graciously given me the use of his beta enabled account for the weekend since he'll be gone. I played the shit out of SC1... in custom scenarios.

I am going to suck so bad, but it will be so awesome

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »

That sucks, marauders are a cool unit and all but I want to see huge lines of tanks asploding or turning hundreds of goons into delicious blue soup. Alas, it looks like they've been relegated to support units. Lucky them I suppose, considering lurkers and reavers are not even in.

Pretty sure lurkers are in. They've just been promoted to tier 3 so in the early going of the beta they're a rare sight.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    is there any way to get into the beta after the fact? I opted in on my starcraft profile, I think, and I didn't get anything.

Iriah on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    badger2d wrote: »
    Streltsy wrote: »

Pretty sure lurkers are in. They've just been promoted to tier 3 so in the early going of the beta they're a rare sight.
    No lurkers.
    what does that big shield thing the little protoss attack robot do?
    It reduces incoming ranged attack damage by 2 (I think that's the number, can't remember for sure though). And the cute little robot is a Sentry.

GogoKodo on
This discussion has been closed.