Options

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Huh. When did lurkers get dropped? I remember hearing they were going to be t3 a long time ago, and seeing art for them and all that. Entirely missed hearing they'd been left in the cutting room.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there anyway to sell/trade my body to get into this beta?

Hensler on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I never want to play this game again. I was terran, had 6 thors, 4 battlecruisers, 50 marines, marines were maxed out upgrades, the rest were level 2 across the board. I basically had alll the units i could have. I run into sirtoons protoss team and i kill the mothership but aside from that basically nothing else, and all of my units died. All the game is is stressful resource building and gathering and clicking madly all over the screen while fighting off rushes and then when it comes to the fight everything goes down within seconds. This just isn't for me at all. I think the only reason i'm doing the MP is because I got into the beta and feel obligated to, but once retail hits I won't be doing anything other than SP campaign and user-made mods.

Urian on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ...so, the game isn't for you...and you're still going to buy it?

(EDIT: Don't get me wrong. The only time I go online to play RTSes, especially ones with a well-defined metagame like StarCraft, is when I feel my ego needs deflating.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

He said the multiplayer isn't for him. The single player campaign and UMS maps are a different beast.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope you're still mad enough that you'll rashly give away your beta access to a random Internet stranger (i.e. me).

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    I never want to play this game again. I was terran, had 6 thors, 4 battlecruisers, 50 marines, marines were maxed out upgrades, the rest were level 2 across the board. I basically had alll the units i could have. I run into sirtoons protoss team and i kill the mothership but aside from that basically nothing else, and all of my units died. All the game is is stressful resource building and gathering and clicking madly all over the screen while fighting off rushes and then when it comes to the fight everything goes down within seconds. This just isn't for me at all. I think the only reason i'm doing the MP is because I got into the beta and feel obligated to, but once retail hits I won't be doing anything other than SP campaign and user-made mods.

You should've seen what Toons did to my base, I was running from him the entire game. It's frustrating to lose, I know, I lose to Toss all the time. Still though, I thought it was a fun match regardless of getting Psi-storm raped every time I mounted an offensive.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It would be a lot easier to give away beta access if it weren't tied to your B.net accout with all your other game licenses on it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Iriah wrote: »
    is there any way to get into the beta after the fact? I opted in on my starcraft profile, I think, and I didn't get anything.

I understand they'll be releasing keys in waves, so all we can do is wait.

Fats on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

tl;dr - "It was Starcraft and I don't like Starcraft."

Snark aside, that's certainly a valid realization. But man, it does what it says on the tin, you know?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

(EDIT: Don't get me wrong. The only time I go online to play RTSes, especially ones with a well-defined metagame like StarCraft, is when I feel my ego needs deflating.)

The multiplayer isn't for me. The competition offers no sense of reward or enjoyment for me in exchange for the stress of early game building.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It would be a lot easier to give away beta access if it weren't tied to your B.net accout with all your other game licenses on it.

This isn't a problem. After all, if you can't trust a random Internet stranger, who can you trust?

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Peff wrote: »

You should've seen what Toons did to my base, I was running from him the entire game. It's frustrating to lose, I know, I lose to Toss all the time. Still though, I thought it was a fun match regardless of getting Psi-storm raped every time I mounted an offensive.

Maybe I'm frustrated because I don't know how to deal with Protoss propery as Terran. I figured I had the strongest army I could reasonably build, and I focus fired shit, I did everything as best as I could, but I was wiped away in like 2 seconds from some magical shit I don't even know what it was. I guess the learning curve is just so horrendously steep and unforgiving that I don't want to even bother. It's a love it or hate it thing, I suppose.

Urian on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »

This isn't a problem. After all, if you can't trust a random Internet stranger, who can you trust?

A Nigerian prince.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well it doesn't help that mwu_la_faga aka sirtoons there is pretty good at SC multiplayer

Do you remember what he did more specifically than "magic"? Psionic storms maybe?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't play much of original Starcraft in multiplayer either

Most RTS games are not for me in a multiplayer environment. They either get formulaic as hell or too stressful and focused on intense macroing and shit which is just not how I like to play. Not all RTS games are like this, but mostly I don't bother much with them apart from a few team games with friends and PA people.

With this said however, I'll be buying SCII for singleplayer anyway

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not very good at multiplayer either, I like less competitive multiplayer matches though, like some we used to do among PA people. Playing SC really competitively is just too stressful for me.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well it doesn't help that mwu_la_faga aka sirtoons there is pretty good at SC multiplayer

Do you remember what he did more specifically than "magic"? Psionic storms maybe?

Yeah probably. Storms full of bullshit and lies.

Urian on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm frustrated because I don't know how to deal with Protoss propery as Terran. I figured I had the strongest army I could reasonably build, and I focus fired shit, I did everything as best as I could, but I was wiped away in like 2 seconds from some magical shit I don't even know what it was. I guess the learning curve is just so horrendously steep and unforgiving

See this right here is the answer and there's two ways it goes here
    A.) is "THAT'S BULLSHIT FUCKING (insert random unit you don't understand yet) CAN LICK MY FUCKING BALLS FUCK THIS GAME." normally this one repeats for a while until something clicks or you just give up, if something clicks what happens is:
    B.) You start to see the game more clearly and begin to learn how to apply better strategies and everything just works, until you run into some random guy who wins with something like "OMG MOAR BANELINGS" and you revert back to A for a bit.

really that's learning any online game. when you're new you get to thinking your strat is flawless because it worked on the last 3 guys you played or worked in the other games in the series, but it isn't the right way to go, you need to learn to adapt on the fly.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    So that starcraftHD dude seems like a nice guy and I am going to be watching all of his videos

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I may need to quote you on that for a sig...I had this vast army of Mutas that hit his carriers and then BAM OMG IT BURNS PSI STORM.

It could be worse man, you could've run two full armies into it, TWICE, without trying to retreat like I did :(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nah it was all magic.

But in all seriousness I had a mix of units in order to properly kill two other maxed out and almost maxed out armies.

Zealots, stalkers, immortals, a Archon, some HT, some DT, a mothership, and a few carriers. I was able to afford all of this a few times because I had 5 bases. I didn't get immortals until a few fights in. Because while they helped with the terran immensly they were poop on a stick against peff's hydralisk/mutalisk swarms.

When actually fighting I psi-stormed the marines while concentrating fire on various big units. Also I'd Dark Void some units then deal with them after killing the smaller army. In large confrontationis dark void can half an enemies army, halving his damage output that way it's like fighting two small armies one after the other.

Also psi storming right as all the clumbed up units come out.

I didn't use shields or anything fancy.

In all honesty I did mediocre that game. Production wise I could have had that army in half the time and multiple times over.

Large scale TvP you need EMP rounds from ghosts. Use yamato/thor cannons on the mother ship and go from there.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I may need to quote you on that for a sig...I had this vast army of Mutas that hit his carriers and then BAM OMG IT BURNS PSI STORM.

It could be worse man, you could've run two full armies into it, TWICE, without trying to retreat like I did :(

I'm still down for 2v2's, that way if my team loses it's not all on me.

Urian on
  • Options
    LordOfTheCheeseLordOfTheCheese BF3: Scyleric Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think he plans on buying it for the no doubt awesome single player and the use map settings (TD and such) which are a blast.

LordOfTheCheese on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's a game of equal parts production, economy, and skirmish ability. You gotta be able to promptly get resources, properly and expediently use them, and keep what you spend them on alive when at all possible. And your main focus shouldn't be solely on how to protect your base, you need to be constantly harassing and killing other people's bases. Unless you believe you have a silver bullet that'll destroy them in one go.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's a game of equal parts production, economy, and skirmish ability. You gotta be able to promptly get resources, properly and expediently use them, and keep what you spend them on alive when at all possible. And your main focus shouldn't be solely on how to protect your base, you need to be constantly harassing and killing other people's bases. Unless you believe you have a silver bullet that'll destroy them in one go.

Yeah and that's too stressful for me. If I have to play a competitive RTS game it's going to be DoW2 where even if I lose I don't get pissed because that game is extremely simple compared to the complexity of SC2.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm still down for 2v2's, that way if my team loses it's not all on me.

We can be Team Suck! I can see it now;

Had a rough day? Need an ego boost? Come to Team Suck and we'll suck for free!

..wait, maybe we should have a different name. This is turning out all wrong

:winky:

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

Louder is exactly what he should be. I can't hear him over the game sounds.

SvK on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I started watching Louder a little while ago. His non-stop clicking is very irritating.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What you folks need is some FFAs with SC virgin PAers after retail. The dynamic is whacky and it magically feels like less of an affront when you get stomped.

EDIT:
    I hate crazy clicking, too. Pros, coaches, experts, silly geese, etc. all swear by its "hand-warming" powers and keeping you 100% mentally in the game. They're probably right. Still annoying as all hell.

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why would you hate it? Does it ruin those exciting first 3 minutes of watching probes mine?

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I dunno if 3 minutes of mashing the mouse would make it much better.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've always found the sound of probes, SCVs, and drones -- especially drones -- mining to be very calming. I will sometimes just listen to the soft sounds they make just for that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I hate it because most feeds I can hear someone clicking furiously while unnecessarily padding their APM.

Why do some people hate chocolate? They just do.

Monsty on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    So that starcraftHD dude seems like a nice guy and I am going to be watching all of his videos
    He does! I like how he says with all honesty in his heart that he is a "noob" then proceeds to demolish the Terran player. I'm glad since it will be a new release that if I get this I'll have a shot against the newcomers as opposed to getting my dick stomped playing SC1 against people who spent nearly half their life playing it.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Monsty wrote: »
    I hate it because most feeds I can hear someone clicking furiously while unnecessarily padding their APM.

Why do some people hate chocolate? They just do.

Except it's not unnecessary, you kind of stated that yourself in your first post. Trying to go from the 5 clicks a second at the start to the 150+ after 6-8 minutes without any warm-up - that's being a silly goose.

But anyways, player-perspective is not exactly best for watching SC, it's why they have observers in tournaments.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hate chocolate. I just do.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I chose to ignore that part of the post, you can't really reply to irrational hatred.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JJ wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    He does! I like how he says with all honesty in his heart that he is a "noob" then proceeds to demolish the Terran player. I'm glad since it will be a new release that if I get this I'll have a shot against the newcomers as opposed to getting my dick stomped playing SC1 against people who spent nearly half their life playing it.

Yeah I agree too. I played SC back in the day but not multiplayer so I'm pretty bad at the game. SC2 has got me really interested and I actually found this guys SC1 vids on youtube the other day and started watching them. I like his enthusiasm and the fact that he plays Zerg so as an aspiring Zerg player I find him to be a good source to at least start from

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, you asked why I hated it and I brought up chocolate to show it's a matter of taste. Two people eat the same food yet you'll get two different opinions.

Irrational? Well yeah. It's an opinion.

Monsty on
This discussion has been closed.