As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    I'm still having a hard time remembering I have to morph my overlord to be detectors =(

Heh, and don't forget to keep your hatcheries pumped full of queen babbies. The macromanagement things they've added are weird to me.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm still having a hard time remembering I have to morph my overlord to be detectors =(

Heh, and don't forget to keep your hatcheries pumped full of queen babbies. The macromanagement things they've added are weird to me.

what? you have to spawn larvaes manually before you can make units?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited February 2010
    Things I want to know about:
    -What's the thor all about? What does it do?
    -What's up with that terran flying unit, the raven? Is it like the new science vessel? What are all its abilities?
    -What are the protoss mothership's abilities? What sort of role does it fill?

About the queen babbies: no, the hatcheries produce larvae like they used to, but the queen can inject them with juice to make them spit out some extra larvae above and beyond the normal count, that don't get replaced automatically.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

No. But, the queen unit now has an ability to spawn extra larvae. Really useful.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited February 2010
    I see that ability as a way of having player attentiveness impact the macro game more. Same with the terran's MULE calldowns, and the protoss' ability that makes things build faster or something.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hatcheries still spawn them but queens can squirt out a bunch every now and then for a production boost.

I think.

EDIT:
    So beat. Need to refresh.

Monsty on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So is there any alternative way to get into the beta?

MindLib on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MindLib wrote: »
    So is there any alternative way to get into the beta?

Have you tried a pact with the devil yet? I heard it's 50/50.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

No. But, the queen unit now has an ability to spawn extra larvae. Really useful.

Oh nice, I guess that can be quite useful when you want to spawn a bunch of units rapidly.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited February 2010
    I expect it's gonna be a matter of using the ability as often as you can to keep your unit production as high as possible.

I think I noticed something cool, the portrait for zerg buildings is the queen I think. Which leads me to think that the zerg's announcer is supposed to be your queen. You can only build one queen, right?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd appreciate more HIGH QUALITY VIDEO whenever anyone has time to go through a replay or something.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlizShouter <--this guy has some but more is merrier!

4rch3nemy on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "rapidly"

You select the spawn larvae ability, then you select your hatchery/lair/hive, Then I think 30 seconds later you get 4 extra larvae. If you want to keep getting extra larvae with your queen you have to keep on it every 30 seconds.

It's like manual production and it's awful quite frankly.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    "rapidly"

You select the spawn larvae ability, then you select your hatchery/lair/hive, Then I think 30 seconds later you get 4 extra larvae. If you want to keep getting extra larvae with your queen you have to keep on it every 30 seconds.

You can't set it to auto?

That's...pointless.

Monoxide on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I want to know how well it will work in conjunction with a rush...that certainly beats 2 hatcheries economy wise.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    It's not pointless, and it's intentionally annoying I think. It's there so that people who can remember to larvae up their hatchery every 30 seconds can produce faster than people who don't.

Not that I think that's a great idea or a terrible idea since I haven't tried it myself, I'm just trying to figure out the design reasoning behind it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I expect it's gonna be a matter of using the ability as often as you can to keep your unit production as high as possible.

I think I noticed something cool, the portrait for zerg buildings is the queen I think. Which leads me to think that the zerg's announcer is supposed to be your queen. You can only build one queen, right?

no you can build multiple from what i've seen

i think you are confusing what i'm remembering as like the "overmind" with queens

man i haven't thought about sc lore for so long i'm probably all sorts of wrong

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited February 2010
    well the overmind is dead, so that's why he can't be your building portrait/announcer guy anymore. So I was trying to figure out what it would be instead. In the brood war campaign it was a generic cerebrate I think?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's not pointless, and it's intentionally annoying I think. It's there so that people who can remember to larvae up their hatchery every 30 seconds can produce faster than people who don't.

Not that I think that's a great idea or a terrible idea since I haven't tried it myself, I'm just trying to figure out the design reasoning behind it.

They put it in so SC1 fans have something to do instead of lazing around with no buttons to press. If Blizzard doesn't automate everything, non-SC1 fans will complain that everything is dated. If they automate too much, SC1 kids and Korea go crazy.

So Blizzard tries to go in between and everything pretty much sucks.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
    edited February 2010
    Well we'll see how it turns out.

I am dying to know what all the units are and all the abilities :3

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ModainModain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's also a trade off. If you keep your mule up 100% of time time you won't have enough mana for a scan. For Protoss you can have it build up and use it on 2 different buildings. For zerg, queens can spawn more creep, heal buildings or spawn that larva.

Modain on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    "rapidly"

You can't set it to auto?

That's...pretty close to broken if you are attentive enough to keep it up the near 100% that it can be done.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    The queen's abilities... seems like a no-brainer to just make larvae, unless there's some fantastic new use for extra creep I don't know about. They can't put creep tumors on clear ground, right? So it's not like you can set up a secret nydus worm drop behind their base.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited February 2010
    I think worms don't need creep right? It looked that way in a stream anyway. Also there's a pretty good write up on the macro abilities on the team liquid site that has some of the feeds going. They basically say that only the economy boosting abilities are worth using for all 3 races pretty much all the time.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damn it to pus bloated hell I WANT IN.

I'm willing to perform favors to/on any of you for a key.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What I'm looking forward to most are the player-made maps. Defense/RPG maps in specific. Didn't SC1 B.NET virtually invent the defense-game genre?

MindLib on
    edited February 2010
    The queen's abilities... seems like a no-brainer to just make larvae, unless there's some fantastic new use for extra creep I don't know about. They can't put creep tumors on clear ground, right? So it's not like you can set up a secret nydus worm drop behind their base.

Yeah for zerg it is a no brainer, but the other races have trade offs. The creep tumor does need to be placed on creep, the out end of a nydus worm, however, requires no creep, just LOS. I won a match by spawning one of those suckers in my my opponents undefended main and unleashing like 40 zerglings.

Edit: beat'd

Modain on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    The protoss mothership upgraded is seriously the biggest amount of bullshit I've ever seen. I had two carriers, 3 archons, tons of zealots and a few immortals, and one mothership blackhole killed every single one of them.

Urian on
    edited February 2010
    Don't they come back after the black hole is done?

Modain on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    The protoss mothership upgraded is seriously the biggest amount of bullshit I've ever seen. I had two carriers, 3 archons, tons of zealots and a few immortals, and one mothership blackhole killed every single one of them.

Well, at least the immortals survived, right?

Otherwise you should get your minerals back for false advertising.

mrflippy on
    edited February 2010
    Modain wrote: »
    Don't they come back after the black hole is done?

I think so. But I think what players do is put it down on like 50 hydralisks then drop a storm on them as soon as they come out and are all stacked :S One storm takes out everything?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOONY
    http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=112796

Dangerisk on
    edited February 2010
    Just beat a toss as zerg, we're both real rusty. He went zealots, templar, carriers, a mothership, and a few of the new corsairs. I went zerg and bane lins and hydras. Inventive I know.

The game went around as we both kept sneaking pylons/worms to the other's side and sending units in.

God I hate psi storm.

Also the mothership. Thankfully the slow time bubble is so small. If it was larger it + psi storm would ruin everything, except large vehicles.

Nydus worms can be built anywhere you can see. They're pretty damn useful. The problem with queens is early on the extra production is good, since it's basically another hatchery for half the cost, if you keep up with it. The problem comes later on in the game when 11 other things have your attention. Terran/toss can just hit their hotkeys for production, but you have to go to your queen first, and for each separate hatchery you want to do. I do one queen per hatchery atm.

Spawning creep is really useful, your units move so much faster on it. If you had the whole map covered in creep an upgraded zergling could probably run the length of it in 5 seconds.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »

Well, at least the immortals survived, right?

Otherwise you should get your minerals back for false advertising.

...y'know, it would be hilarious if Blizzard added that to their FAQ.

"Q: My immortals keep dying. Patch it.

A: It's a sobriquet. Working as intended."

Shadowen on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card

is that alot more than a Radeon X1600 256mb?

thats what i have and i want to play!

Sueve on
    edited February 2010
    Just beat a toss as zerg, we're both real rusty. He went zealots, templar, carriers, a mothership, and a few of the new corsairs. I went zerg and bane lins and hydras. Inventive I know.

The game went around as we both kept sneaking pylons/worms to the other's side and sending units in.

God I hate psi storm.

Also the mothership. Thankfully the slow time bubble is so small. If it was larger it + psi storm would ruin everything, except large vehicles.

Nydus worms can be built anywhere you can see. They're pretty damn useful. The problem with queens is early on the extra production is good, since it's basically another hatchery for half the cost, if you keep up with it. The problem comes later on in the game when 11 other things have your attention. Terran/toss can just hit their hotkeys for production, but you have to go to your queen first, and for each separate hatchery you want to do. I do one queen per hatchery atm.

Spawning creep is really useful, your units move so much faster on it. If you had the whole map covered in creep an upgraded zergling could probably run the length of it in 5 seconds.
    The on-creep bonus is that good? Cool. Can the creep tumors be killed like creep colonies or are they some special untargetable thing?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MindLib wrote: »
    What I'm looking forward to most are the player-made maps. Defense/RPG maps in specific. Didn't SC1 B.NET virtually invent the defense-game genre?

And Warcraft 3 made them much more worthwhile, allowing the genre to develop enough to eventually stand on its own. I'm looking forward to Custom Games in Starcraft 2.

Edit: How are roaches turning out? They seem like a weird addition after being used to Starcraft 1.

jothki on
    edited February 2010

God I hate psi storm.

The on-creep bonus is that good? Cool. Can the creep tumors be killed like creep colonies or are they some special untargetable thing?
    They're burrowed.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010

How long does the spawn creep stick around?

Dangerisk on
    edited February 2010
    The Queen spawns a little burrowed creep node that spreads creep over a medium sized area, think the size of creep colonies spread from 1. They can then create 1 more node on creep in a radius around them.

So you plop one or two down in your base and then keep replicating. And watch the creep spread.

Overlords can also spawn creep around themselves while stationary.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010
    Sueve wrote: »
    128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card

is that alot more than a Radeon X1600 256mb?

thats what i have and i want to play!

No those were good video cards in like 2003. x1600 is better.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • YranYran Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wanted to clear some stuff up about the queen unit.

Each hatchery/lair/hive has the ability to create one queen. You do not mutate one from larva like other units. Queens are generally used only for defense because they move slow as fuck if they are not on your own creep--thus they have the creep tumors to extend the area they are effective in.

Anyone experienced banshee rape in ZvT? My first instinct was to start pumping Hydras, but these were not as effective as I'd hoped, and unfortunately there are no Scourge to rely on for anti-air.

Mutalisks seem great as ever in combo with Zerglings, with the added option of Banelings, using your Mutalisks as cover so they cannot be easily focus-fired as they roll into the enemy.

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
This discussion has been closed.