As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Man Declares Jihad on The IRS and Commits Terrorist Act

• Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    Jakorian wrote: »
    His daughter lives in Norway? I thought he burned his house down with his family inside.

Daughter from his first wife.

What do the family members he tried to kill have to say about him?

Jakorian on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    His daughter lives in Norway? I thought he burned his house down with his family inside.

They're all burnt up with rage.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

They're all burnt up with rage.

hnng

Ed321 on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Well he did kill one person, Vernon Hunter, an IRS employee and Vietnam veteran.
    Authorities say Stack, 53, targeted the IRS office building in Austin on Thursday, killing employee Vernon Hunter and himself, after posting a ranting manifesto against the agency and the government. He apparently set fire to his home before flying his plane into the office building.

Hunter's son, Ken Hunter, said he's alarmed by comments that the pilot was a hero.

"How can you call someone a hero who after he burns down his house, he gets into his plane ... and flies it into a building to kill people?" Hunter told ABC." "My dad Vernon did two tours of duty in Vietnam. My dad's a hero."

Wazza on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Nothing new, but roundup of some Terrorism/Not-Terrorism stuff by the AP:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PLANE_CRASH_TERRORISM?SITE=ORBEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    It doesn't to Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo, who instead sees an isolated, criminal attack carried out by a lone individual. He said branding the crash as terrorism so soon after the plane's impact could have provoked unnecessary panic and prompted residents of Austin and beyond to erroneously conclude that other attacks might be imminent.

"I did not want to use it because I didn't want people that have children in school and loved ones at work to be panicking, thinking that, 'Oh my God, is there going to be 10 more little planes around the country crashing into buildings?'" Acevedo said. "I knew that this appeared to be one guy in one city in one event."

This action may potentially cause terror. Therefore, we should not call it terrorism.

Huh?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PLANE_CRASH_TERRORISM?SITE=ORBEN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    It doesn't to Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo, who instead sees an isolated, criminal attack carried out by a lone individual. He said branding the crash as terrorism so soon after the plane's impact could have provoked unnecessary panic and prompted residents of Austin and beyond to erroneously conclude that other attacks might be imminent.

"I did not want to use it because I didn't want people that have children in school and loved ones at work to be panicking, thinking that, 'Oh my God, is there going to be 10 more little planes around the country crashing into buildings?'" Acevedo said. "I knew that this appeared to be one guy in one city in one event."

This action may potentially cause terror. Therefore, we should not call it terrorism.

Huh?

We have hyped terrorism to an insane degree. The word itself has more impact than the act at this point.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Huh?

Seems reasonable to me. He was trying to avoid mass panic, because the act was, in his estimation, the result of an individual and not part of a series of bombings/attacks.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Huh?

Seems reasonable to me. He was trying to avoid mass panic, because the act was, in his estimation, the result of an individual and not part of a series of bombings/attacks.

But that has nothing to do with what terrorism is.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Huh?

We have hyped terrorism to an insane degree. The word itself has more impact than the act at this point.

Sometimes its more important to prevent mass panic by not sticking to perfect semantic definitions of a word.

Shocking I know.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Huh?

Sometimes its more important to prevent mass panic by not sticking to perfect semantic definitions of a word.

Shocking I know.

And that's why we called 9/11 a mean-spirited aerial mishap.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. If you are being subtle it's so subtle you've lost me.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Huh?

But that has nothing to do with what terrorism is.

I don't follow.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. If you are being subtle it's so subtle you've lost me.

Public officials lying - which is what claiming this isn't terrorism is - because they are worried how the public might react would be a bad thing. And claiming that they can't call this terrorism because there would be a public panic is geesery. Many people called the Fort Hood shooting terrorism and there were no riots. Flying a fucking plane into a government building for political reasons is terrorism.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Public officials lying - which is what claiming this isn't terrorism is - because they are worried how the public might react would be a bad thing. And claiming that they can't call this terrorism because there would be a public panic is geesery. Many people called the Fort Hood shooting terrorism and there were no riots. Flying a fucking plane into a government building for political reasons is terrorism.

Ah I see you are making a semantic argument about the important point. That's really quite impressive (because it's so meta) but I'm not really interested in continuing. Enjoy your day.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Or it's an asshole committing a murder-suicide because he's frustrated with how his life turned out.

That happens all the time in this country. The plane's involvement doesn't make it terrorism.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or it's an asshole committing a murder-suicide because he's frustrated with how his life turned out.
    That describes most terrorists.

I don't mind not calling this terrorism because calling something terrorism leads to people acting like retards. Not calling it terrorism will allow the police and government to clean this shit up without huge problems.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    That describes most terrorists.

I don't mind not calling this terrorism because calling something terrorism leads to people acting like retards. Not calling it terrorism will allow the police and government to clean this shit up without huge problems.

Right, it's a semantic difference. But "terrorism" no longer has meaning in this country and is mostly just "this guy is a terrorist, therefore we (the government) can do whatever the fuck we want with him."

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That happens all the time in this country. The plane's involvement doesn't make it terrorism.

Personally I agree completely that the overuse of the word "terrorism" has watered-down its true meaning.

In this case though, I believe it is the inclusion of his political beliefs in choosing his targets that swings this in the "terrorism" field. He martyred himself by attacking his sworn political enemy with the hopes that his actions would bring attention and sympathy.

Having said all of that, it's typical of the current Faux Populist movement for a man who has enough money to own a private aircraft and a nice home to feel like he's somehow being oppressed by THE MAN.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yes its just a coincidence that he wrote a political manifesto announcing his intention to attack the government and flew the plane into a government building. Only willful ignorance could lead to the conclusion that this doesn't constitute terrorism.

Governmental abuses using the excuse of terrorism doesn't mean a) terrorism doesn't exist or b) there isn't a threat to public safety or people's lives from terrorism, foreign or domestic.

ed
    Nothing changes unless there is a body count (unless it is in the interest of the wealthy sows at the government trough). In a government full of hypocrites from top to bottom, life is as cheap as their lies and their self-serving laws.

I know I’m hardly the first one to decide I have had all I can stand. It has always been a myth that people have stopped dying for their freedom in this country, and it isn’t limited to the blacks, and poor immigrants. I know there have been countless before me and there are sure to be as many after. But I also know that by not adding my body to the count, I insure nothing will change. I choose to not keep looking over my shoulder at “big brother” while he strips my carcass, I choose not to ignore what is going on all around me, I choose not to pretend that business as usual won’t continue; I have just had enough.

I can only hope that the numbers quickly get too big to be white washed and ignored that the American zombies wake up and revolt; it will take nothing less. I would only hope that by striking a nerve that stimulates the inevitable double standard, knee-jerk government reaction that results in more stupid draconian restrictions people wake up and begin to see the pompous political thugs and their mindless minions for what they are. Sadly, though I spent my entire life trying to believe it wasn’t so, but violence not only is the answer, it is the only answer. The cruel joke is that the really big chunks of shit at the top have known this all along and have been laughing, at and using this awareness against, fools like me all along.

I saw it written once that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different. I am finally ready to stop this insanity. Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let’s try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well.

The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So knowing nothing about anything I just filed my taxes and discovered, I can't get the hope tax credit because, being a tax credit, its only applicable if I make enough to have $1000 or more withheld?

I mean, what the crap, I'm too poor to get this particular student aid thing? That seems counterintuitive.

I can empathize with this guy's anger in some regards

I made a grand amount of 16k last year. However, 8k (half of what I made) was merely a write-off on tuition. Therefore, I really only made 8k, but the system counts tuition credits as part of income (lol?). Since I made 16k, I also can not get the lifetime learning credit tax or any other school applicable tax credit.

Furthermore, I actually owed the state near $500 dollars, and the federal gov. gave me back 600 of my dollars, leaving me with a whopping 100$! That's sure better than nothing, but god damn who are these tax credits for? Breeders?

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know the guy was crazy and all but I'm really confused by his Manifesto's last statement:

The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

So was he in favor of Communism? If so, did he realize that his fancy airplane wouldn't have really been his under that type of goverment? Or am I just reading too much into this tripe?

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know the guy was crazy and all but I'm really confused by his Manifesto's last statement:

So was he in favor of Communism? If so, did he realize that his fancy airplane wouldn't have really been his under that type of goverment? Or am I just reading too much into this tripe?

He was something like a populist anarchist.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So knowing nothing about anything I just filed my taxes and discovered, I can't get the hope tax credit because, being a tax credit, its only applicable if I make enough to have $1000 or more withheld?

I mean, what the crap, I'm too poor to get this particular student aid thing? That seems counterintuitive.

I can empathize with this guy's anger in some regards

I made a grand amount of 16k last year. However, 8k (half of what I made) was merely a write-off on tuition. Therefore, I really only made 8k, but the system counts tuition credits as part of income (lol?). Since I made 16k, I also can not get the lifetime learning credit tax or any other school applicable tax credit.

Furthermore, I actually owed the state near $500 dollars, and the federal gov. gave me back 600 of my dollars, leaving me with a whopping 100$! That's sure better than nothing, but god damn who are these tax credits for? Breeders?

Most of the money I got back from the government was because of interest I paid on my student loan and mortgage.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey! Douglas' character from Falling Down! What was he?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Huh?

We live in a world where people fly airplanes into buildings. When the act is repeated on a smaller scale, people panic.

You do understand the dangers of people panicking, right? That people trample each other, or riot / steal in opportune moments, or drive like maniacs, etc?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

Huh?

We live in a world where people fly airplanes into buildings. When the act is repeated on a smaller scale, people panic.

You do understand the dangers of people panicking, right? That people trample each other, or riot / steal in opportune moments, or drive like maniacs, etc?

Normally I'd say yes, but given that we've technically spent the last 7 or so years in CODE ORANGE I don't think people react that way anymore. Remember the months following September 11? There was a different "credible" prediction for the apocalypse every week. And yet nobody really panicked. For the most part, everyone adapts and adjusts their lives. Just look at the British (IRA, etc).

At the very least I think people just want some consistency with the word's usage. Why is this terrorism but that is not?

Jademonkey79 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hey! Douglas' character from Falling Down! What was he?
    a crazy asshole

Morninglord might know the clinical term for it, but "crazy asshole" will work for now.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    haven't seen the movie
    i have no clue

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    This new Mother Jones article on the Oath Keepers seems relevant. White-guy populist anger and paranoia is in for the spring season!
    Most of the men's gripes revolve around policies that began under President Bush but didn't scare them so much at the time. "Too many conservatives relied on Bush's character and didn't pay attention," founder Rhodes told me. "Only now, with Obama, do they worry and see what has been done. I trusted Bush to only go after the terrorists. But what do you think can happen down the road when they say, 'I think you are a threat to the nation?'"

In Pray's estimate, it might not be long (months, perhaps a year) before President Obama finds some pretext—a pandemic, a natural disaster, a terror attack—to impose martial law, ban interstate travel, and begin detaining citizens en masse. One of his fellow Oath Keepers, a former infantryman, advised me to prepare a "bug out" bag with 39 items including gas masks, ammo, and water purification tablets, so that I'd be ready to go "when the shit hits the fan."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah I remember the days after 9/11. Riots all over. Just huge waves of panic where people were trampled, widespread looting, massive pileups....

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The phrase "terrorism" itself doesn't cause panic.

Specific acts on civilians do.

For instance, anthrax scared. Normal people freaked.

Guys flying planes into IRS buildings? Not so much.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The phrase "terrorism" itself doesn't cause panic.

Specific acts on civilians do.

For instance, anthrax scared. Normal people freaked.

Guys flying planes into buildings? Not so much.

Fixed to expose ridiculousness.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yeah I remember the days after 9/11. Riots all over. Just huge waves of panic where people were trampled, widespread looting, massive pileups....

It's a good thing I wasn't drawing comparison to 9/11 and talking about irrational human behavior in general.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It's a good thing I wasn't drawing comparison to 9/11 and talking about irrational human behavior in general.
    I remember all of that for the DC snipers, McVeigh, etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#2000-present
    Look at all the horrible riots and shit that crap caused...

Couscous on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    This new Mother Jones article on the Oath Keepers seems relevant. White-guy populist anger and paranoia is in for the spring season!
    Most of the men's gripes revolve around policies that began under President Bush but didn't scare them so much at the time. "Too many conservatives relied on Bush's character and didn't pay attention," founder Rhodes told me. "Only now, with Obama, do they worry and see what has been done. I trusted Bush to only go after the terrorists. But what do you think can happen down the road when they say, 'I think you are a threat to the nation?'"

In Pray's estimate, it might not be long (months, perhaps a year) before President Obama finds some pretext—a pandemic, a natural disaster, a terror attack—to impose martial law, ban interstate travel, and begin detaining citizens en masse. One of his fellow Oath Keepers, a former infantryman, advised me to prepare a "bug out" bag with 39 items including gas masks, ammo, and water purification tablets, so that I'd be ready to go "when the shit hits the fan."
    Now Pray is both a Birther and a Truther. He believes he is following an illegitimate, foreign-born president in a war on terror launched by a government plot—9/11... He spends idle hours at the now-quiet base researching the New World Order and conspiracies about swine flu quarantine camps—and doing his best to "wake up" other soldiers.
    Unlike his friend, he doesn't think the United Nations must be dismantled, although he does agree that it represents the New World Order, and he suspects that concentration camps are being readied in the off-limits section of Fort Drum. He sends 500 rounds of ammunition home to Idaho each month.
    From the podium, ex-sheriff Mack told the crowd that he wished he'd been the officer ordered to escort Rosa Parks off the bus, because not only would he have refused, he would have helped her home and stood guard there. These days, he said, it's not African Americans who are under attack, but Christians, constitutionalists, and people who uphold family values: This time "it's going to be Rosa Parks the gun owner, Rosa Parks the tax evader, or Rosa Parks the home-schooler."

The scary part is that presumably some of these people are the ones that protect us here, and protect our interests "over there".

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The scary part is that these people don't recognize that they are living in a fantasy world.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No the scary part is that this guy is a fucking solider

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No the scary part is that this guy is a fucking solider

Im telling you man, we need to raise standards right quick.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Bolded for self-contradiction.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crazy is heriditary
    The daughter of the man who allegedly flew a plane into an IRS building in Austin, killing one person and injuring a dozen others, says her father is a hero because he stood up to the system.

"I think too many people lay around and wait for things to happen. But if nobody comes out and speaks up on behalf of injustice, then nothing will ever be accomplished," Samantha Bell told Good Morning America.

But Bell also called her father Joe Stack's alleged attack in Austin Friday "wrong" and "inappropriate," saying that "freedom of speech" would have been a more effective. Bell, 38, lives in Norway.

KalTorak on