As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallen [Chat]: Legions

SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
305562legionslarge.jpg

Developed and then abandoned by Garage Games, the company that rose from the ashes of Dynamix Games who were responsible for Starsiege and the Tribes franchise, Fallen Empire: Legions is a spiritual successor to Tribes. Fallen Empire: Legions features the near exclusive use of the jetpack to move around and plays at a much faster pace than Tribes. Speed is the foremost concern and when players move quickly enough they can activate an Overdrive boost at the expense of their health. This quick boost enables players to make impressive mid-air maneuvers and flag captures. The game has no vehicles and only half a dozen weapons or so but it does have three armor classes which each class having specialized load-outs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UZyW_lbZ0g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBfMItDY0Q

Fallen Empire: Legions is available for free at Instant Action. It is installed on your computer and then launched from your web browser. Firefox and Google Chrome are recommended.

Important: The developers abandoned the game before they enabled true Windows 7 support. In order for Windows 7 users to play they must edit game files and then restart their computers.

http://forum.instantaction.com/smf/index.php/topic,13990.0.html
1. Right-click on the Legions.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" -> Select Windows XP (SP2 or SP3) -> Check "Run this program as an administrator" -> Apply/OK.

2. Right-click on your browser's executable file -> Do the same thing as you did to the Legions.exe (NOTE: Make sure you use the EXACT SAME compatibility mode as Legions.exe).

3. Turn ON User Access Control -> Make sure it's set to the HIGHEST setting.

4. Restart your computer.

5. Enjoy Legions!

Not many people will probably want their UAC at the highest setting but at least try the game. From experimentation it appears the UAC definitely needs to be at the highest level. This may cause problems with other programs (I have had Pidgin freak out in certain cases) but at least try the game.

Sarksus on

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh ho

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I saw Snakes on a Plane, the audience was raucus and making comments at every thing.

It was one of the most enjoyable theater experiences I've ever had.

At the end of the movie, they show Sam Jackson with one of the white flight attendants, then it cuts to the white kid with the white girl and some girl in the audience yelled "I like the interracial one better! Go back to that!"

See that's what I'm talking about.

This kind of cinema experience doesn't need to be every kind of experience, but it does show up sometimes and it can be a lot of fun when it does.

For example, Mike got cross with me because I cracked wise during Terminator Salvation... but everyone else was doing it too, Mike. People were shouting catchphrases, laughing at "serious business" and so on.

I remember when John Connor is all "What are you?" some dude was like "I'M BATMAN!" and another dude was like "NO I'M BATMAN" and then it turned into a big "I'M SPARTACUS" joke.

these were completely different people sitting in different parts of the theater and unless I was living in an episode of Punk'd, I'm pretty sure they were strangers having a shared fun cinema experience.

I mean, shit, Silk was a deadly serious movie that was pretentious as all get out and terrible and the tiny ass indie theater I saw it eventually just turned into a raucous house of sarcasm as people eventually felt the need to get some kind of enjoyment out of their money.

For some people, that's how they do it. If that's not you, that's okay, but don't be all THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Pony on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy shit Echo, that last ME2 thread in G&T.

I think the last several pages need to be marked NSFW.

Ugh.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I Believe in Sarksus [Chat]

Pony on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Guys.

I didn't get into the SC2 beta.

I need a hug.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A spiritual successor to Tribes? MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

Sarksus, I could kiss your nasty-ass mouth!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Why did the previous thread close just as I was finishing editing out my link that was created by that shadyurl site.

Now I'll never feel safe again.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game has existed for awhile, Moriarty, and I've mentioned it in the past.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I'm out... work is over, I'm going home.

Pony, you stay out of my theaters and I'll stay out of yours and we'll both give hollywood lots of money and enjoy our lives.

Hooray!

I don't have a problem with this mindset.

I know that when I go into a movie and the crowd is not to my liking I just leave. I think it's silly that Drez is like "I WILL CALL THE MANAGER"

really, Drez?

because I went to the midnight showing of Snakes on a Plane and if you "called the manager" on everyone who was bullshitting around during that.... I'm pretty sure they'd tell you if you didn't like it you could leave because everyone else there paid $10 to enjoy the movie too.

And then I would point them to their myriad advertisements telling people to shut up and they would say "oh you're right!" and remedy the situation somehow beyond telling me to leave.

Because I would be correct.

For the record, Pony, I generally like you - this theater issue is on a very short list of ultimate pet peeves I have. I would tell my grandmother the same thing I'm telling you, if she came to me with this ludicrous viewpoint. I do think you're an ultimately selfish, attention-whoring person, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying your random stories here and there. I just think it's funny and completely sociopathic that you've somehow already deluded yourself into thinking that I'm advertising the "selfish" attitude in this debate. Please, do yourself a favor - for your own mental well-being - and shed that delusion.

The only reason for any of this is because you want the attention of others in the crowd. You're not being altruistic by pushing the crowd into some kind of comedic fervor. You are being selfish. You are trying to shape the crowd into conforming to the experience you want it to have, so you can have the experience you want to have. But the fact is, $10-15 buys someone a movie-watching experience, not a dog and Pony show. There is no justification for your attitude and there never will be. Unless the theater says "expect some heckling" before selling me my ticket, the only justified behavior is relative silence. If you have to sneeze, sneeze. Laugh? Go ahead. Cry? Fine. Make a comment to your friend/family member sitting right next to you? Go for it. But communicating beyond a very small radius makes you a dick no matter what movie it is or what the mob climate is.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The one true chat.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    stupid argument is stupid

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    pony Snakes on a Plane =/= Terminator: Salvation

you keep bringing up Snakes, which would be okay and would get me on your side, except that you have also said that you do this at lots of movies, and you proceeded to give us an example list. On that list were several movies that I would most certainly not lump into the "automatically so terrible they deserve to be openly mocked" category. Thus you clearly have no ability to judge when it is or is not appropriate to do this.

So you should err on the side of not ruining other people's experiences just to have people pay attention to you.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Ugh.

The Mass Effect threads were actually created by the ancient Moderators so that posters will evolve along predictable lines.

Now the Moderators return for... the Harvest.

Echo on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This game has existed for awhile, Moriarty, and I've mentioned it in the past.

Oh right, I meant fuck you.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know I said this yesterday, but I still really miss my best friend. Being eight hundred miles away sucks.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, one housemate is giving up wheat based treats for Lent (cake, sweets?) but has decided to start drinking Jack Daniels & Coke to help her sleep/ work on headache. The other is going to stop drinking wine, except while on planes (as she will be travelling a bit during Lent, and it offends her sense of economy not to take advantage of free wine on long haul international flights). Lent is clearly a trying time

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Ugh.

The Mass Effect threads were actually created by the ancient Moderators so that posters will evolve along predictable lines.

Now the Moderators return for... the Harvest.

Resist, Echo! RESIST! The thread was too funny to harvest!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait, are we having another [chat] war?

So what makes this [chat] better than the other one?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

this one is mod sanctioned

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

this one is mod sanctioned

Well, in that case.

Really been loving Beats Antique lately. Nau-Ashta's cool beans.

Ignore the crappy man-dancing, the only videos up with the song are belly dance ones.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Drez, that post is hilarious.

I can't even respond to you seriously anymore. "People who talk in the theater annoy me on a level that is barely reasonable" is one thing. I mean, that's pretty much what Bogart said on the subject.

But you're turning it into some kind of objective moral issue and you've just lost me, man. People have fun. People go to the cinema to enjoy film. Not everyone enjoys all films all the same way, and I think that's valid and I think if the crowd in a cinema is enjoying the film in a way you can't stand to be around, then maybe it is you who should mosey on.

God forbid you compromise to others or anything.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Added the relevant Windows 7 information to the OP.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

His has the better OP.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

you keep bringing up Snakes, which would be okay and would get me on your side, except that you have also said that you do this at lots of movies, and you proceeded to give us an example list. On that list were several movies that I would most certainly not lump into the "automatically so terrible they deserve to be openly mocked" category. Thus you clearly have no ability to judge when it is or is not appropriate to do this.

So you should err on the side of not ruining other people's experiences just to have people pay attention to you.

It honestly doesn't matter, to me, if the movie is Howard the Duck.

I wouldn't go see it in the theater, though, because I expect everyone seeing it to heckle. But the inevitability of negative behavior doesn't magically turn it into positive behavior.

Pretty much the only movie that is justified in having audience participation is The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Not only because of tradition, but because the audience participation is always advertised.

Drez on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Elldren, it turns out that Gatria is a 43 resource world, which is more than any of the worlds I can currently see.

I would like to request a re-evaluation of the borders, based mostly on what the resources are like on your nearby worlds.

43 is a record for me too. Are yours all resource poor or simply resource not-as-rich?
    Well, I'm not really sure about the scale of planetary resources, so I'll just kind of tell you what I can see.

I have one planet at 36, one at 40 which I'm flying to and my ETA is sometime tomorrow, several at 27/28, and the remaining ones are 20/21. Then there are my homeworlds, but I'm guessing that our homeworld resource distribution is similar.

So I dunno, is that good or bad? I'm excited about the 36 and the 40, obviously, but the others don't seem too great to me.

Homeworld distribution is random outside of the one at 50.
    Ah, okay, well I'll give you an itemized list, then.

These are the resources of the planets I can see. The ones I control are bolded. H denotes a starting homeworld.

13H
    21H

42H
    43 - Gatria
    50H

So, I dunno. I have a few really good planets, but a lot of kind of crappy ones. What's your distribution like?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elldren, it turns out that Gatria is a 43 resource world, which is more than any of the worlds I can currently see.

I would like to request a re-evaluation of the borders, based mostly on what the resources are like on your nearby worlds.

43 is a record for me too. Are yours all resource poor or simply resource not-as-rich?
    Well, I'm not really sure about the scale of planetary resources, so I'll just kind of tell you what I can see.

I have one planet at 36, one at 40 which I'm flying to and my ETA is sometime tomorrow, several at 27/28, and the remaining ones are 20/21. Then there are my homeworlds, but I'm guessing that our homeworld resource distribution is similar.

So I dunno, is that good or bad? I'm excited about the 36 and the 40, obviously, but the others don't seem too great to me.

These are the resources of the planets I can see. The ones I control are bolded. H denotes a starting homeworld.

13H
    21H

42H
    43 - Gatria
    50H

So, I dunno. I have a few really good planets, but a lot of kind of crappy ones. What's your distribution like?

Would you mind putting planet names with them so we can study how the distribution works?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Time for the daily "wait, have I eaten anything today?" moment.

Echo on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So yeah star wars galaxies pretty much sucks, mortal online caught my attention and is in open beta, this mmo is just screaming with so much potential.

Right now I am hearing how it can be laggy and the book skill thing is pretty bad or annoying but I am still eager to try it.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Drez, that post is hilarious.

I can't even respond to you seriously anymore. "People who talk in the theater annoy me on a level that is barely reasonable" is one thing. I mean, that's pretty much what Bogart said on the subject.

But you're turning it into some kind of objective moral issue and you've just lost me, man. People have fun. People go to the cinema to enjoy film. Not everyone enjoys all films all the same way, and I think that's valid and I think if the crowd in a cinema is enjoying the film in a way you can't stand to be around, then maybe it is you who should mosey on.

God forbid you compromise to others or anything.

First of all, are you saying that because this is about entertainment, one cannot discuss an objective moral approach to the subject matter? Are you coming out and advertising your own amorality, or are you really that egotistical and thickheaded?

Second, you can try to trivialize, sweep aside, or reject my position with your tangential rhetoric but you're not fooling anyone, least of all me.

My position is valid and it is correct. You can pretend to ignore it, but saying "I'm ignoring your post because it's silly!" is what kindergarten-grade trolls do. Honestly, I expected some smarter subversive tactics from you. Ah well.

edit:

LOL on the "compromise" bit. It brings us full circle.

You can be loud or you can be relatively silent. Me being relatively silent doesn't physically force YOU in any way. I would prefer if you were silent, but I am not physically forcing you to be silent. However, when you are loud, you are physically forcing me to listen to you. The person unwilling to compromise for respect to others is you.

Drez on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    mount and blade is starting to weary me

all my fellow vassals run around chasing looters while those swadian and nordian dickheads keep snapping up territory

i'm only one man with a ruthless army 70 warriors strong and a lance steeped in blood, i can't defend a kingdom alone!

Rust on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guys, I ...

Okay, like, my boss makes money. She and her brother co-own this winery. I mean, she's not yacht wealthy, she's S-class mercedes well off.

She ordered some pair of Chanel shoes and they sent her the wrong ones via UPS. She showed them to me and then flipped out her phone to call the shop and let them know. That was about 45 minutes ago, tops.

A guy just strode into the office a minute ago. He has a head shaved down to the skin and it's kind of ... shiny. He looks like every inch of him has been somehow manicured. He's wearing a crisp white shirt with the top 3 buttons open and black slacks.

He frowned at the incorrect shoes and handed my boss the correct pair, which he apparently drove here to deliver moments after they got the email.

I ... am not even sure what the point of this story is, except that I have never shopped anywhere where my patronage as a customer entitled me to have a shoe bitch break speed limits to resolve my customer satisfaction issues in less than an hour.

Am I just naive to the world of money that moments like this always surprise me? It is so not the world I live in.

desc on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    i don't like it when people heckle at movies. it annoys me. what might work for a few buddies watching a bad movie on a couch doesn't work for a room full of people at a theater. i find it rude.

i do like it when people respond to movies though. like when people gasp or laugh or something. it's what makes going to a theater as a collective experience worthwhile.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So Pony and Drez are competing in the 'Sperglympics

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Passerbye on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So Pony and Drez are competing in the 'Sperglympics

dude, the autistic have it hard enough without being compared to drez

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nobody is even going to try this game are they.

Stupid Garage Games, I can't believe they didn't patch it for Windows 7.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Time for the daily "wait, have I eaten anything today?" moment.

Yeah, I've been having them lately. Not being able to afford food makes me feel so studenty.

Tav on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

13H
    21H

42H
    43 - Gatria
    50H

Would you mind putting planet names with them so we can study how the distribution works?
    Are you watching my game or something? Because if not I'm not sure how the planet names would help.

Not to mention, at some point far down the line I might find myself in conflict with Elldren, and I'd rather not let her know where my best resource worlds are. The information I've already given is bad enough.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

Mike, my judgment on the subject is based on the crowd, not my preconceptions of the film's schlockiness going in.

In fact, I was actually really disappointed with Terminator Salvation and was expecting a decent movie and not the piece of poop I was given.

This didn't automatically make me want to go into "rip mode", but it did annoy me. But, apparently, I was not the only one who felt this way and over time the laughter and murmered comments got louder and more open until the crowd sort of came to the consensus that "Okay, this movie is bad, fuck it."

You might not think it was, but other people did, and they were going with it. I also felt it was bad enough to deserve that treatment, and so when other people started that kind of behavior, I went along with it and contributed to it. I didn't start it, although I can certainly be said to have been "part of the problem".

I mean, did I go into Silk thinking "this movie is going to be laugh-out-loud awful and insulting and I'm going to have a gay old time wisecracking at it"? Nope. Yet, that's what happened, and surprising given that it was a small indie theater that had like 40 people in it!

It's relative to the crowd. I did, in fact, go into Simone and Ghost Rider expecting this kind of experience and then found out to my shock that people were not reacting this way, there was no vibe from the crowd like this, and that if we started in on it we'd be jerks and the crowd wouldn't go with it.

So, I had a choice: sit and quietly endure a terrible movie and choke down inappropriate laughter and sarcastic remarks, OR, leave.

I chose to leave, and I think that's the respectable choice in that instance.

I don't understand why you are being so unreasonable about this.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Was another Neptune's Pride game started.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.