As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: A Series of Tubes (Map pack out now!)

• Options
    ZachVeedleZachVeedle Common Writer HenshinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it possible to shoot down your own pavelow/harrier with your own ac-130?

No.

ZachVeedle on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yes, and in HC you can shoot down your teammates stuff too. Had a kid predator/agm a teammate's chopper gunner today. Was pretty funny actually.

edit: I disagree w you veedle!!! Are you sure? Perhaps you're right.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There should be some sort of challenge for that.

"Oops... My bad"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I leveled up to get DC not too long ago, and now I see why everyone hates it. On the other hand, I feel badass when I run around with my FAMAS pipe, thumper, scav pro, and DC.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Braincow wrote: »
    So I leveled up to get DC not too long ago, and now I see why everyone hates it. On the other hand, I feel badass when I run around with my FAMAS pipe, thumper, scav pro, and DC.

I recommend AT-4 over thumper.

Especially on Domination.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ZachVeedle wrote: »

No.

Wrong.

This is exactly why I don't run Pavelows with my AC-130s. You can easily hit that thing with either a 40mm or a 105mm. The hitbox for the Pavelow is nearly twice as large as it physically appears, and it will be taken out by a single 40mm.

You can also shoot your own airsupport (but not your teammate's) in normal-core, and as Sanguine said, you can hit your teammate's as well when in hardcore.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I finally got on last night for a good bit of MW2ing.

Great fun, I was actually able to run around and shoot people and not get consistently murdered every time I took a step. Except for one game where the same guy killed me in the same place like three times in a row :p , that was my own damn fault though.

But I think I had the PA clan thing confuzzled. I didn't realize it was an ID outside of MW2, and I think I was forgetting the "Clan" bit when I did figure it out. But I think I have it figured now, and using xbox.com I just sent an invite request to it. So I should be good to do there.

I will hopefully have some more time tonight. But the rest of the weekend is looking unlikely, as I'll be getting ready to leave on vacation for next week.

I do have to get up at like 3am on Monday though (to catch 6am flight). Maybe I just won't go to sleep, and will play all night/morning :) .
    I believe the last time I had one of these flights I made it to like 1 or 2am before I threw in the towel.

Selner on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Selner wrote: »

Great fun, I was actually able to run around and shoot people and not get consistently murdered every time I took a step. Except for one game where the same guy killed me in the same place like three times in a row :p , that was my own damn fault though.

But I think I had the PA clan thing confuzzled. I didn't realize it was an ID outside of MW2, and I think I was forgetting the "Clan" bit when I did figure it out. But I think I have it figured now, and using xbox.com I just sent an invite request to it. So I should be good to do there.

I will hopefully have some more time tonight. But the rest of the weekend is looking unlikely, as I'll be getting ready to leave on vacation for next week.

I do have to get up at like 3am on Monday though (to catch 6am flight). Maybe I just won't go to sleep, and will play all night/morning :) .
    I believe the last time I had one of these flights I made it to like 1 or 2am before I threw in the towel.

If you're on this weekend, send Scatman1337 an invite. If we have room, I'm generally in/the leader of the main 360 "clan" group that runs. You'll have fabulous times as we demolish silly 12 year old geese both in game and in the lobby.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Selner wrote: »

If you're on this weekend, send Scatman1337 an invite. If we have room, I'm generally in/the leader of the main 360 "clan" group that runs. You'll have fabulous times as we demolish silly 12 year old geese both in game and in the lobby.

Until one of them shoots him in the face with an ACR from all the way across the map, and he ragequits.

We love you, Scatman. Don't ever change.

twmjr on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Definitely just got nuked by the enemy in Domination when the score was 199-124, my team winning.

BULL.

SHIT.

Why they decided putting nukes in objective based games was a good idea I'll never know

101 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is a company that decided that dedicated servers are So Last Year. No amount of dumb shit they do should surprise you.

Also, anyone hoping to farm their way to a nuke from something that can get shot down is in for a nasty surprise if I'm on the opposing team, because I make it a point to be That Guy that shoots down everything in the air.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is a company that decided that dedicated servers are So Last Year. No amount of dumb shit they do should surprise you.

Also, anyone hoping to farm their way to a nuke from something that can get shot down is in for a nasty surprise if I'm on the opposing team, because I make it a point to be That Guy that shoots down everything in the air.

I take great pleasure in being That Guy to, but at the same time my spirits get crushed when my Harrier gets demolished 3 seconds after entering the map, making the trek to the AC-130 much harder. Payback is a bitch.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Once with a Stinger and Scav class I ended up getting about 10 seconds of straight "Blurbl shot down XXX" callcards. Even my own team thought I was an asshole.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am I missing something with the meta-tags? I added 'A PA MW2 Clan' but my request is still pending.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Braincow wrote: »

I recommend AT-4 over thumper.

Especially on Domination.

Danger Close AT-4 is the Finger of God.

Just be careful, because the Finger of God doesn't have a minimum arm distance...which becomes even MORE important with Danger Close on.
    Arrath wrote: »
    I'm almost 65 in my first playthrough and still have yet to see a nuke. Is that weird? All I play is TDM.

I've only seen one legit nuke so far, I stick around in TDM as well.

As mentioned, against a team that isn't shooting down killstreaks Harrier->Chopper->Nuke is a pretty easy way to get one legit (I say "easy" in a relative sense, I still haven't got one...but then I've never really tried).

I have a friend who has gotten like 6 legit nukes while playing with me, probably a couple others off on his own. Mostly on Wasteland, and against scrubs.

But, in generally nukes are pretty rare in TDM. In a game where the only objective is "find and kill mans" it's a lot harder to avoid getting hunted down, compared to something like Domination (where I've seen a TON of legit nukes).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Am I missing something with the meta-tags? I added 'A PA MW2 Clan' but my request is still pending.

He has to log on and accept it. Then you'll be able to access the friends list.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't understand what it takes to shoot down some of these flying tanks. The AC 130 invincible right? The UAVs take at least two AR clips with stopping power pro, I have never shot one down I always run out of ammo. The helos and harriers are invincible, I have emptied 3 LMGs clips and got nothing. Although I do lag and with the horrible, horrible net code I am probably just shooting air even though I get a hit indicator.

Also not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but projectiles disappear after you die. Many times I have shot off rockets, grenades and other crap and nothing happens after I die.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One Stinger - UAV, Counter UAV, Harrier, Attack Heli
    Two Stingers - Pave Low, Chopper Gunner
    Three Stingers - AC-130

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I don't understand what it takes to shoot down some of these flying tanks. The AC 130 invincible right? The UAVs take at least two AR clips with stopping power pro, I have never shot one down I always run out of ammo. The helos and harriers are invincible, I have emptied 3 LMGs clips and got nothing. Although I do lag and with the horrible, horrible net code I am probably just shooting air even though I get a hit indicator.

Also not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but projectiles disappear after you die. Many times I have shot off rockets, grenades and other crap and nothing happens after I die.

Sounds to me like your projectiles disappearing is a result of your lag - it shows that you fired off a rocket on your screen, but on the host you were killed before it officially happened.

As for the UAVs, I'm usually able to shoot them down with a single AR clip with SP Pro - especially with the Famas.

AC-130 has one or two sets of flares, so it will take a few shots until you can actually hit the thing. Harriers should go down with just one shot.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's more likely a product of the game thinking you died before you fired said projectile.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I'll help break it down for you and hopefully it'll help you out.

Harrier/Attack heli = 1 stinger missle (let the stinger missle beep for about 2-3 seconds while locked on so you can get a 100% kill) you can also noob tube harriers if you aim it right.

Pavelow/Chopper Gunner = 2 stinger missles due to flares they have you dont really need to keep lock with these two just fire as soon as your stinger beeps.

AC-130 = 3 stingers. The trick here is that you have to shoot these 3 missles fast otherwise the AC-130 will restock it's flares and you'll be back to square one. It's better if you got a teammate and call out on the mic "flare one down!" or "flare two down!" so they know it's almost dead.

UAV/CUAV = Yea some maps it's hard to get a good hit marker on them my only suggestion is automatic AR's. I use a SCAR to take them down and it usually works more times than not.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Totally beat

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Metacortex wrote: »
    That's more likely a product of the game thinking you died before you fired said projectile.

I've tried it with a slower moving projectile over a long distance (like an RPG or AT4) and it will actually disappear if you die before it impacts. This has happened when I was host or had 4 bars as well.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    AC-130's are practically impossible if you're the only one on your team trying to bring it down. Even with Scavenger I've managed to solo an AC-130 once. And even that was absolute bloody luck 'cause a guy got shot right next to me.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I Wanna Be That Guy
    016876780.png

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    One Stinger - UAV, Counter UAV, Harrier, Attack Heli
    Two Stingers - Pave Low, Chopper Gunner
    Three Stingers - AC-130

Also, UAVs and Counter UAVs can be taken down with a single AT-4.

Harriers and Attack Helicopters can be taken down with an AT-4 plus maybe one AR mag with Stopping Power Pro. Or about one full RPD mag with SP Pro.

Choppers and Pavelows take considerably more. Even once their flares are gone, a single AT-4 doesn't do much to them.

AC-130s can, from my experience, be taken out with a single AT-4 once their flares are gone. It doesn't take a Stinger.
    AC-130's are practically impossible if you're the only one on your team trying to bring it down. Even with Scavenger I've managed to solo an AC-130 once. And even that was absolute bloody luck 'cause a guy got shot right next to me.

I'd done it a ton of times. I fire my two Stingers, if there are no goodie bags around I just kill myself with a grenade and fire the third. Too easy. The only issue is that A) you need to make sure you don't have a bunch of Foreigner fans spawning next to you drawing its fire and B) you need to accept that it's going to rack up a TON of kills in the time it takes for three Stinger lock-ons. Still easy to get the ol' +400 and cut it at least a little short by yourself.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Even before it is accepted, you can see the Friends List on Xbox.com. But you'd have to do a manual search for folks to invite them to play and stuff.

Selner on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Plus since the Stinger smoke trail points a big arrow at your location, if the AC-130 user is halfway competent they'll aim the next howitzer round right on top of your head.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »

I've tried it with a slower moving projectile over a long distance (like an RPG or AT4) and it will actually disappear if you die before it impacts. This has happened when I was host or had 4 bars as well.

I dunno. I've killed plenty of people with such weapons after my death, getting the points for killing them after dying and everything.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone seen an issue with a sudden burst of lag in the middle of a round that doesn't go away? Its happened a few times with myself and I have heard the same from friends. Everyone's connection will be green but there is just insane lag. Its very odd.

Also they still have not fixed the cold blooded kills glitch with the helicopters. I got an entire level of the cold blooded challenge done with just one chopper and a LMG.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »

I dunno. I've killed plenty of people with such weapons after my death, getting the points for killing them after dying and everything.

Yeah I have gotten it plenty of times too, even with throwing knives, which move considerably slower than rockets/noob tubes, etc.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

You should be able to check the A PA MW2 Clan's friends even if he hasn't accepted it yet. It's just that other people won't see you on there.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a window of time where you fire and die that it will cause the projectile to vanish on the RPGs. If its not already about 6-7 feet away from you when you die, it'll vanish.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm about 900% positive that the RPG isn't disappearing, it is just that since you got shot right before you fired it, your aim moves and your RPG fires straight up into the air, so it never explodes and you assume it disappeared. But it didn't. It just went sky-ound into nothingness

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I'm about 900% positive that the RPG isn't disappearing, it is just that since you got shot right before you fired it, your aim moves and your RPG fires straight up into the air, so it never explodes and you assume it disappeared. But it didn't. It just went sky-ound into nothingness

I've had the same thing happen with noob tubes, and those should eventually land :P

Ganluan on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuck I hate that. I always assumed it was just lag. Like on the other guy's screen he shot me before I fired so I was technically already dead when I fired it...Ok I guess that doesn't make much sense either. Still it's total bullshit.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Best part of no dedicated servers means is that whenever the weather gets shitty the chances of getting a host with a ton of packet loss is practically guaranteed.

I'm not sure but am I think I am missing something here. How does weather effect packet loss unless someone is using satellite internet?

Do cable substations or DSL lines get taken out by weather and require extra routing?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you need to make sure you don't have a bunch of Foreigner fans spawning next to you drawing its fire

Christ almighty I fucking hate this. If I'm standing with a Stinger aimed at the sky and the Harrier isn't shooting me, perhaps you silly geese might want to flock elsewhere or hold the fuck still for half a second so that I can put its lights out?

But nope, OMG GOTTA SPAWN AND RUSH OUT AND GET KILLED AND QQ MOAR.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Fuck I hate that. I always assumed it was just lag. Like on the other guy's screen he shot me before I fired so I was technically already dead when I fired it...Ok I guess that doesn't make much sense either. Still it's total bullshit.

Its really lame when you shoot your Spas into some dudes chest and you totally hear the gun go off but youre the dead one.

It also really annoys me that when I pull the pin on the semtex, if I die the semtex disappears.

emp123 on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Best part of no dedicated servers means is that whenever the weather gets shitty the chances of getting a host with a ton of packet loss is practically guaranteed.

I'm not sure but am I think I am missing something here. How does weather effect packet loss unless someone is using satellite internet?

Do cable substations or DSL lines get taken out by weather and require extra routing?

Maybe he plays via Verizon/ATT phone internet (I forget what its called)?

emp123 on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emp123 wrote: »

Maybe he plays via Verizon/ATT phone internet (I forget what its called)?

When it rains in Tucson, the cable gets really shitty. Maybe that's just because it Tucson gets 3" of rain a year, and the whole town goes ape shit when it does.

Morvidus on