As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The easiest way to get email updates on podcast availability is

splashsplash Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
How can I get email notifications when a new podcast is available to download from a website? After using the typical iTunes-like podcast subscriptions and using website xml feeds, I realize all I ever want is to get emailed when there is a podcast available from, say, Retronauts. I don't want automatic downloads. I don't even necessarily care about a description or link in the email to download it. All I want is an email that says a new podcast is available so that I'll know to go check their website at some point. What's the simplest way to do this?

Thanks

splash on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It has to be email? It can't be an RSS feed that pops up and says "this is now available!" I throw all my RSS's on my iGoogle so I don't have to run separate apps or deal with emails, but email would be dependent on either your RSS functionality or the website itself, since there's an extra layer of technology (mail servers) involved in sending out emails.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It'd be pretty easy to write an RSS feed reader that would email you when it got an update, but I haven't heard of one that does.

admanb on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The problem is where does the RSS popup? I use firefox and I don't use the windows gadgets. For some reason I just find it annoying to have to go and check bookmarks, getting it in my email inbox seems entirely more convenient.

I might start using this igoogle as my homepage if that can do it since the gmail login is my homepage now.

I had a feeling it wasn't common to send emails anymore. I guess nobody wants to be on a mailing list that could get spammed.

splash on