As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadly Premonition: Twin Peaks + Open World + Zombies + Clunkiness - NOW ON XBOX LIVE

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OK, time for some wild guessing. I just hit the first big thing in episode 2, and inbetween the main plot stuff and stuff I've learned from side missions, I've got an idea of sorts that probably ain't anywhere near the mark but could be interesting anyway:
    The Red Dust you find is either some kind of psychotic aphrodesiac or hallucinogenic, and asides from being sold by Quint for extra dosh is also used by several members of the community, namely Nick and Diane. Anna somehow finds out about it, perhaps after partaking of the dust and the rituals for a bit, and for fear she'll spill the beans is killed off by the Raincoat Killer in a dust-fueled mania. As for the killer? I'm thinking Nick - hating the unrefined hicks he's surrounded by, in a roaring sex rage he might've transferred that hatred into Anna's "transformation" from some airheaded bumpkin girl into a goddess - or perhaps a muse, if I'm seeing that huge statue in the main hall of the gallery the right way. Diane was his accomplice, and Forest, while perhaps supplying the seeds for the plant used to make the dust, is simply too fat to be the killer. Fat Guy in a Little Coat this certainely is not.
    Criminy this is fucking great. :D

EDIT: Given the incredible amount of infspiration and homage DP gives to Twin Peaks, am I to assume that it would be a bad idea to watch the show before I finish the game? Hearing all this mention of it and a look at TVTropes leaves me itching to see it but I don't want to be spoiled any more than certain jerks hae already made me.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, the red and black suit you get as part of a quest reward from the gun shop owner is awesome. Not only does it look great, but it extends your life bar and regenerates health.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    OK, time for some wild guessing. I just hit the first big thing in episode 2, and inbetween the main plot stuff and stuff I've learned from side missions, I've got an idea of sorts that probably ain't anywhere near the mark but could be interesting anyway:
    The Red Dust you find is either some kind of psychotic aphrodesiac or hallucinogenic, and asides from being sold by Quint for extra dosh is also used by several members of the community, namely Nick and Diane. Anna somehow finds out about it, perhaps after partaking of the dust and the rituals for a bit, and for fear she'll spill the beans is killed off by the Raincoat Killer in a dust-fueled mania. As for the killer? I'm thinking Nick - hating the unrefined hicks he's surrounded by, in a roaring sex rage he might've transferred that hatred into Anna's "transformation" from some airheaded bumpkin girl into a goddess - or perhaps a muse, if I'm seeing that huge statue in the main hall of the gallery the right way. Diane was his accomplice, and Forest, while perhaps supplying the seeds for the plant used to make the dust, is simply too fat to be the killer. Fat Guy in a Little Coat this certainely is not.
    Criminy this is fucking great. :D

EDIT: Given the incredible amount of infspiration and homage DP gives to Twin Peaks, am I to assume that it would be a bad idea to watch the show before I finish the game? Hearing all this mention of it and a look at TVTropes leaves me itching to see it but I don't want to be spoiled any more than certain jerks hae already made me.

Nah, Twin Peaks will spoil absolutely NOTHING about Deadly Premonition. Watch away.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It also happens to be thoroughly excellent. Well, the first season, anyway.

Man, still no news on a PAL release?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It also happens to be thoroughly excellent. Well, the first season, anyway.

Man, still no news on a PAL release?

Give it time, man. They're a budget publisher with a niche game, and they're just now starting to see sales due entirely to word of mouth. They want to put this game out everywhere, and they will, but they need to work with what they have.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just came home with this. Played through the introductory level and reconfirmed I'm a huge pussy who lets video game "zombies" scare him. But I know it's going to be worth it, right Zach?

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    InitialDK wrote: »
    Just came home with this. Played through the introductory level and reconfirmed I'm a huge pussy who lets video game "zombies" scare him. But I know it's going to be worth it, right Zach?

"Don't want to diiiieee..."

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Having an infinite ammo assault rifle, flamethrower, RPG, magnum, and an unbreakable electric guitar means that combat really isn't that much of an issue. And yeah, you can start earning that stuff pretty damn early in the game.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If Deadly Premonition had come out before Siren, the normal enemies would be kind of freaky with the way they moan and such. Too bad Siren already did it and then did it two more times, being even freakier each subsequent time.

Better luck next time DP!

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Siren did not allow you to take on Shibito with an unbreakable electric guitar, M16, and RPG. I'd say DP is the clear evolution. Siren is like Alien, with its claustrophobic and unrelenting sense of horror. DP is like Aliens, where everything you do is badass and instantly quotable.

What's York's reaction to looking around and realizing he's suddenly trapped in an alternate dimension hellworld full of crazed zombies trying to pull out his innards through his throat?

He lights a fucking cigarette.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well really the cigarette is just to make him look more sophisticated while he talks about Back to the Future or Superman. That's what he was thinking about the whole time.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Possible theory; the hellworlds are just a facet of York's imagination, brought on by the intense trauma of not having a conversation about the superiority of Betamax in the past 20 minutes.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DP is like Aliens, where everything you do is badass and instantly quotable.
    Yeah, I get the feeling that a lot of the combat stuff is designed mostly as filler with connection to the overarching plot, nothing that should really stress the player unless they're stupid or really bad. The only Otherworld stuff that actually presents any real danger is that involving
    the Raincoat Killer, and a whole lot of that's because every encounter with him is some kind of do-or-die QTE-fest;
    That's actually one thing that I'm kinda' dissipointed with and bugged by DP about, really:
    what'd probably be a lot cooler than the killer's current setpiece setup is if in certain areas ala Clock Tower or Resident Evil 3 he would randomly pop in and start roaming around and start searching for you, forcing you to either hide from him, fight him until he runs away, or run away yourself to a safe area like in the Lumbermill climax, sans the box pushing.
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    "Don't want to diiiieee..."
    Yooooooouuuuu...!

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Combat in DP is just training. Training for one section where your skills are put to the test. Where aiming is no longer a simple game, and where everything rests on those few key shots.

Combat is training for darts.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Having beaten the game, I can safely say that the Otherworld segments exist solely for the purpose of having a reason to have survival horror combat sections in the game. Otherwise there wouldn't be much in the way of action, which I kinda think I would've preferred; maybe instead of gunning down zombies with assault weapons, you do like you said and have it where you randomly stumble across the Raincoat Killer and have to run away or hide.

The combat isn't BAD, it was just that those sections were personally the low point. I didn't detest them or anything, but whenever one would pop up, I'd get a little disappointed that I'd have to go through another dungeon before I could go back to driving around to crime scenes and doing awesome side missions. They just seemed to go on a little too long with not much in the way of variety. The Raincoat QTEs were a nice change of pace, at least, and the hiding element brought back some positive memories of Haunting Ground.

EDIT: Gilder does raise a very good point.

If you didn't get at least a little excited when you fired that last dart toward the bullseye, you are officially dead inside.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, if video games were more like Deadly Premonition I might not be too embarrassed to tell acquaintances I like gaming.

Maybe goty.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was just thinking, is there any precident or whatnot for giving the shades those huge black, smeary smiles? I know that the empty eye sockets thing is a staple of J-horror, but that's the first time I've ever seen this mouth thingl - it's like a cross between :V and the evil Krusty bed from that one episode of the Simpsons.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They remind me of a J-horror version of the Joker from The Dark Knight. It doesn't help they are in a lot of the loading screens.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Upon reading this thread- I am so in.

Should be here in a week and I can't wait.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm home sick and I think I'm gonna take a quick trip to finally just grab it. Should make the sudafed seem even more effective.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh god, I seriously don't know if I could handle this game on drugs. The last 20 minutes or so of the game left me with that distinct "whoa, I don't know what's going on, man" feeling. Last game to give me that were the Max Payne dream sequences, which were so freaky and not at all like the rest of the game, I was scared that I had somehow broken the game and was seeing something I wasn't supposed to be seeing.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So angry gamestop is the only place that carries this. Not only do I have a bet buy giftcard, but this tripjust solidified why I hate gamestop.

I walk in, walk right up to deadly premonition and bring it to the counter.

Gamestop employee: "...so...deadly premonition."
    me: "yup."
    "I feel like I need to point out there are no returns on new games."
    "ok, thanks."
    "...you get what I'm saying?"
    "...I think. I'm good."
    he gets the game - "you ever read reviews online?"
    "yeah. Saw this get a 10 out of 10."
    "...you're thinking of something else."
    "no I'm not."
    "ok. Have a nice day. No returns. "

The only reason I'll go back in there is to stand near this game and convince others to get it. Almost home - almost time to speak with Zach!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I tend to avoid Gamestop myself (I have a Best Buy and TRU no less than two blocks from my place), but it was worth it for this game. Luckily, I had a female register jockey who had NO idea about the game.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Do you want my sale or not?"

That's basically it. Or "I love Twin Peaks".

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish I had a 360 just so I could play this game.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So angry gamestop is the only place that carries this. Not only do I have a bet buy giftcard, but this tripjust solidified why I hate gamestop.

I walk in, walk right up to deadly premonition and bring it to the counter.

Gamestop employee: "...so...deadly premonition."
    me: "yup."
    "I feel like I need to point out there are no returns on new games."
    "ok, thanks."
    "...you get what I'm saying?"
    "...I think. I'm good."
    he gets the game - "you ever read reviews online?"
    "yeah. Saw this get a 10 out of 10."
    "...you're thinking of something else."
    "no I'm not."
    "ok. Have a nice day. No returns. "

The only reason I'll go back in there is to stand near this game and convince others to get it. Almost home - almost time to speak with Zach!

I had to ask for a copy. They didn't even have it shelved.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I had a different experience. I didn't see it on the shelf and the rep actually pointed it out and gladly sold it to me without any fuss and knew what it was. He also had a Scottish accent, so not being American born was probably the reason for the low douche levels :)

I wish I had time to dive into this more but I'm going on a road trip tonight and won't be back till Tuesday :(

Does anyone else whistle "Life is Beautiful" all day long?

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I ordered my copy off newegg. Newegg has it too! No need for Gamestop!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So far it does not dissapoint. I'm just horribly confused about side missions. I've only triggered 1 so far - and I'm on Chapter 1, episode 4. I've pretty much just gone from mission to mission and am wondering when my "meeting other townsfolk" time starts because I've noticed some of the sidequests expire in ep 4.

Even though I have a couple people with me, do I just blow them off and do my own thing? Does the episode stay open no matter how many days pass? I'm still on day 1 and was just asked to
    gomeet with the first witnesses in the park by 19:00.
    should I go do that, or start driving aimlessly and meeting folks?

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You can do some meet and greet, but keep playing until you unlock the gun shop and junk yard. The chapter that unlocks them lets you do missions for those two people as well as a couple others in the next chapter, which is good to do while waiting for someone else's quest. Besides, you can replay any chapter. You can't miss any quests.

Also you're at the point now where it'll be easy to get the radio to make travel much easier. After you meet the witnesses and head to the location you have to go to, or when you're returning, look for flowers on the road. It's clearly marked on the mini-map. They only show up when it's raining. In chapter 6 look for George Woodman and immediately drive to his house. Give him the flower and you'll get the radio. Chapter 6 is the best time to get it because the chapter starts you off in the time frame where the quest is available.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You can go back and replay any chapter at any time, and carry the bonuses into your current game. It's like a NG+ that you can do at any time.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How soon can I get a hold of that rain talisman thingamabobber you see in the loading screens? I've heard a bunch of quests are onl available when it's raining, but the only time it ever DOES seem to rain is when the plot says it must, and mucking around with chapter replays isn't helping any since even when the TV calls for rain I always seem to miss it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You can get it as soon as Chapter 2, but you have to do three quests at Emily's house, which you can ironically only do on days when it's raining.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh wow, apparently you can suffer clothing damage in this - I've just about finished up episode 2 part 2, where
    Willie's leading me around after Diane got splattered thanks to her own idiocy and that dumbass Nick
    and apparently the events of that or what i was doing in the leadup to it tore a big ol' gash in the back of York's suit. And you know what? They put in a model for York's boxers, but not for York's body itself. Just a pair of whitey tighties floating inside the cavernous space of York's suit.

EDIT: Huh, it's gone now. I had to reload 'cause
    Willie stopped at Diane's bed and I didn't see any prompts or anything anywhere
    and now his suit's fine and dandy again. Weird.

EDIT: AHHHHHHH FUCK. Why the fuck do assholes think putting *spoiler* right in front of a huge fucking plot bit is somehow going to make that shit completily invisible? GIVE THAT SHIT A SIZE=1 TAG YOU STUPID FUCKS, SOME OF US CAN READ FASTER THAN A THIRD-GRADE LEVEL. :x:x:x

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How soon can I get a hold of that rain talisman thingamabobber you see in the loading screens? I've heard a bunch of quests are onl available when it's raining, but the only time it ever DOES seem to rain is when the plot says it must, and mucking around with chapter replays isn't helping any since even when the TV calls for rain I always seem to miss it.

To do her quests, I basically reloaded chapter 2 and then kept going to sleep until I heard rain from outside when York woke up (his room seems to be the only place in the hotel where you can hear the weather outside). Emily's house is open at 19:00 on rainy days, so if you want to time your sleep cycle around that, you'd be fine.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gyral wrote: »

To do her quests, I basically reloaded chapter 2 and then kept going to sleep until I heard rain from outside when York woke up (his room seems to be the only place in the hotel where you can hear the weather outside). Emily's house is open at 19:00 on rainy days, so if you want to time your sleep cycle around that, you'd be fine.

There is a barn you can nap in just past Swery 65. It's much closer to Emily's house than the hotel.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    BixBix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just got this, thanks to all of your recommendations.
    The controls are just so...weird?
    I got to the end of the first "path?", after dying about 20 times.
    Hmmmm...

Bix on
    We're all OD'd on the Olden West,
    seein' who's Cowboy clothes look the best!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I had a clipping error thing where york's tie was coming out his back. It somehow seemed "right".

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, anyone doing the main story stuff, if you see the dinner plate icon below your target time frame while messing around MAKE URE you take advantage of it, apparently these have some cutscenes and stuff tied to them as well, with York being his awesome jerkass self as usual. :D

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He's not a jerkass.

He's just very particular about his biscuits, he'll have you know.

l337CrappyJack on