As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Pedophiles of America UNITE!

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh yes well make it better why don't you.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is fantastically good...

Baccano is the only anime Olivaw, the least weaboo guy here, will unashamedly admit to liking so it's pretty mainstream as well as being amazingly well done. Just don't judge it by the first episode... it's horribly confusing on purpose.

Try Kino's Journey while you're at it, as well.

Falx on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Watched Halo Legends.

Two episodes were absurdly bad. The Duel: Photoshop filter over CG graphics as bad as the cinematics in the old Black Isle Games. Odd One Out: Humor didn't work, sorry.

Origins was meh, obligatory history lesson.

The Package suffered from the same CG awkwardness that the Appleseed movie did, but was overall an okay watch. Just...let's not do the FPS segments again. And what was up with the doc's wardrobe?

Homecoming: Oh, Bee Train. I should have known they'd be in charge of the episode with the female Spartan coming to grips with the consequences of the training program. I haven't seen this before, have I?

Prototype was great, had some really well choreographed action scenes, and the combat hardsuit design was cool as hell. Babysitter was mostly okay with some well done scenes and a totally unexpected reveal at the end.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    In before baccano.

Have you seen Samurai Champloo yet?

I have not. I suppose I should, as I've heard good things, but completely forgotten about it until just now. When you mentioned it. Anywhere to watch it online, or should I just Netflix it?

funimation is streaming the whole series at their website

Rust on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Excellent...

Houn on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Baccano is the only anime Olivaw, the least weaboo guy here, will unashamedly admit to liking so it's pretty mainstream as well as being amazingly well done. Just don't judge it by the first episode... it's horribly confusing on purpose.

Why thank you Falx

Didn't expect to receive such nice compliments in this thread!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh hey, there was a new Berserk chapter a few weeks ago, and it's moving at the steady clip it used to without a dip in artwork quality. And new chapter this week!
    It's so refreshing to be back into "mysterious local thing" mode.

That being said, I hope it's not too long since we've been traveling to this island of elves or whatever for way too goddamn long.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, D&D mods, you and your jesting.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do think this change is an improvement this time around!

Slicer on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well they're like tiny predators... the only thing they're a threat to are things weaker than themselves. And nothing is weaker than something with gigantic freak-bug eyes that faints from anemia or trips and falls every ten steps, no doubt weakened even more from being a terrible cook.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. That apparent weakness can make for a very effective defense mechanism.
    hhnnnggg.jpg

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey, anyone here reading Hoshi no Samidere- otherwise known as The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer? It is the chillest impending apocalypse around.

857e8e57c46192098d18353.jpg
    90908030.jpg

Basically, the idea is that an evil Mage is trying to destroy the Earth with a megalithic orbital hammer and the only ones who can stop him are the Princess and her 12 Beast Knights. Sounds kinda generic, right? Well here's the thing. The main character is a college student, Yuuhi, with severe emotional issues and is an antisocial loner, due to ten years of mental abuse, who really doesn't give a damn either way. Until, that is, he is saved by the princess herself. At first glance Samidare seems like a good natured 16 year old, except that her plan is actually to crack the planet asunder with her own two hands, and she'll be damned if some upstart Magus is going to get in her way.

Yuuhi swears immediate and absolute fealty to her.

Things only get stranger when other Beast Knights start showing, people who obviously know nothing of Sami's plans and would try to stop her if they did.

The story has a great balance of humour and action and the art's easy on the eyes, but where the series really shines is in its surprisingly deep characters who deal with love, loss and the end of the world as we know it in an unpretentious and matter of fact way.

Give it a try, it's up on Onemanga and someone's finally started translating it again.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sora no Woto was pretty bad this week.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I tore through all the translated chapters (of Biscuit Hammer) awhile back when there was some discussion about it. Pretty decent read.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sora no Woto was pretty bad this week.

Yeah...
    But at least we get a lead into the main story, right?

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is pretty alright. I started reading it a couple days ago. As a battle manga it's decent but it's rounded out nicely by the humor and character development.

Joule on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Durarara!! episode 7 was badass because it had Shizuo in every scene. :D

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Oh shit what's that VN with the guy with the messed up eyes who sees everything around him as rotting flesh and horrible unmentionables and then meets a girl who looks normal (ominous thunder).

saya no uta, i think

Yep.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is pretty alright. I started reading it a couple days ago. As a battle manga it's decent but it's rounded out nicely by the humor and character development.

it's okay

though anything with panty shots is getting shunted low on my list no matter how good the rest of it might be

Rust on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh shit what's that VN with the guy with the messed up eyes who sees everything around him as rotting flesh and horrible unmentionables and then meets a girl who looks normal (ominous thunder).

Saya no Uta.

It is the best thing ever and you should all read it.

EDIT: Also it is about as close as you can get to Lovecraft in anime. If you're looking for some really good horror, look no further. It is still the only work of fiction to ever make me feel like one of those people who scream "HOLY CRAP GET OUT OF THE HOUSE RUN RUN RUN!" during a horror movie, it is that good.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like how the recommendation list doesn't include my recommendations. Okay, I don't.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Episode one of Champloo has filled me with confidence for this series.

Houn on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    subaruginga-faceoff-resized.jpg

When I look at this pic, I imagine them slamming their fists together and yelling "THE EAST, THAT IS BURNING RED!"

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The first 30 seconds of that show filled me with confidence for the rest of the series.

It was not misplaced.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

breakdancin hip-hop samurai action, awwww yeah

it's probably one of gonzo's best series next to cowboy bebop

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    th_yuuna_nomnom.gif
    Everyone should click the picture and look at the "buy it now!" merchandise on the bottom left. gifs are funny :o

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One of Gonzo's best series is a show they didn't make?

That explains a lot!

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think we've proved that Lovecraft can't even save the anime thread.

[strike]C'est la vie.[/strike]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJzYwOjR9g

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I like how the recommendation list doesn't include my recommendations. Okay, I don't.

Well no one likes you

Yeah

It's true

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    th_yuuna_nomnom.gif
    Everyone should click the picture and look at the "buy it now!" merchandise on the bottom left. gifs are funny :o

I would totally buy a coffee cup with that animated on it. You know, whenever they work on OLEDs some more, but I guess that would be a generic "put whatever image you want on it" cup.

And one with the NA-NO-HA gif :P

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Samurai Champloo = awesome.

Samurai Champloo with Slow-Mo and Fast-Forward = hilarity

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Well no one likes you

Yeah

It's true
    Well I like me.

[tiny]sometimes...[/tiny]

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh. That image. I mean... what?

I haven't sat down and intentionally watched anime since Naruto was still a Fansub. The op has way too much in it to parse though; name me something awesome to watch! For reference, I am a fan of things like Bebop, Naruto when it's moving faster than DBZ speed, GitS:SAC, Trigun, FLCL, and Big O.

If you're a fan of people being shot in visually entertaining ways, I'd highly recommend Black Lagoon. It's modern day pirates on the South Seas. To paraphrase what Patton Oswalt said about Jason Statham: "You won't learn shit about the human condition, or feel a collective connection with the brotherhood of man. But if you (watch this show), (it) will fuck an explosion while a Slayer song plays".

And watch the dub. Trust me, the dub is superior.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you're a fan of people being shot in visually entertaining ways, I'd highly recommend Black Lagoon. It's modern day pirates on the South Seas. To paraphrase what Patton Oswalt said about Jason Statham: "You won't learn shit about the human condition, or feel a collective connection with the brotherhood of man. But if you (watch this show), (it) will fuck an explosion while a Slayer song plays".

And watch the dub. Trust me, the dub is superior.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aren't most wierd shots just stills of the tweens? The frames inbetween two well drawn shots made just to connect the two?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Houn you didn't mention Gurren Lagann in your little list

Have you seen that

Because that was a big thing around here for a while

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I did not see Gurren Lagann. Again, I stopped paying attention to Anime around the time Naruto was picked up for US distrobution. That was also around the time I had to start getting up early for work, and couldn't catch whatever new anime was on the Adult Swim. Also, when I lost contact with my weeaboo friend that hooked me up with all the new fansubs. So, I've been out of touch.

*edit* I just remembered that I never finished Lain or Witch Hunter Robin. I should go back and try to watch those again.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is Hajime no Ippo on a break? Or are they just not updating right now?

I kind of want to get past this stupid fight already.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I did not see Gurren Lagann. Again, I stopped paying attention to Anime around the time Naruto was picked up for US distrobution. That was also around the time I had to start getting up early for work, and couldn't catch whatever new anime was on the Adult Swim. Also, when I lost contact with my weeaboo friend that hooked me up with all the new fansubs. So, I've been out of touch.

*edit* I just remembered that I never finished Lain or Witch Hunter Robin. I should go back and try to watch those again.

Well okay then you should watch Gurren Lagann

Dub is okay but sub has this awesome Japanese dude who is seriously the best at yelling

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    darksteel wrote: »
    I think we've proved that Lovecraft can't even save the anime thread.

C'est la vie.

I would totally watch some Lovecraft anime though I'd be too afraid that it was just degenerate into tentacle rape.

I swear there was an eroge that had characters based around the Cthulu mythos. Though that's probably not what you're looking for.

Edit: FOUND IT.

Quite a few Nitroplus's VNs have Lovecraftian themes. Urobuchi Gen, who writes for them from time to time also tends to use that sort of stuff in his works.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yay!
    New Yotsuba& is out! Chapter 65!
    A NEW FOE!

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I am ready to toss aside my prejudices and watch Nanoha! But, is there any legal streaming of the show, or must I resort to fansubs or (gulp) DVDs?!

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython