As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Raiding] It's like a big fat guy in a doorway

• MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Neyla wrote: »
    So looking for a general thoughts on 25 Blood Queen:

I subbed for 25 man last night, so I don't usually do that version. But I had a hard time finding logic in what the other priests wanted me to do. They were taking turns with fearward and Massdispel for fear+air phase. They said it was to ensure no one died from being feared into a group/clump, which i can somewhat understand, if the fear was longer then 2 secs...

I dunno, didn't make sense to me wondering if anyone else did this?

Our guild does do this and we one shot the blood queen last night and it was our first kill. However, we have 4 priests in the raid and they each have an area where they are assigned to mass dispel. They have to time when they do the fear ward on themselves to ensure that they can cast it on themselves for the 2nd fear and still have it work for the first.

Our previous strat was to use Wintergrasp trinkets to use for the 2nd fear. However, we had far too many people not being able to spread out and/or bite the people they were supposed to after the first fear wore off.

It works well if you have the priests to do it.

MEGAMERICAN on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well that makes more sense to me then "priest 1" mass dispel first fear, "priest 2" mass dispel 2nd fear etc. One person dispelling an area that could get 10 people seems wasteful, but 3 priest dispelling certain areas would make it more ideal.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The fear is very short and most people should have a racial or class ability to remove it. Also, fear no longer lines up with the air phase and any melee using the fear as an excuse is full of shit.

Bikkstah on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, the Sindragosa weekly is bullshit.

forty on
    edited February 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    The fear is very short and most people should have a racial or class ability to remove it. Also, fear no longer lines up with the air phase and any melee using the fear as an excuse is full of shit.

I don't know what you mean by it no longer lining up with the air phase because everytime I'm feared she is up in the air.

Short is also a very relative term when you have plenty to do during the air phase. Any extra time you can get to spread out, line up your next bite, DPS and/or heal is very crucial when it only takes one person screwing up to ruin an attempt. It's the most time sensitive part of the fight and you aren't losing much by negating the fear.

It's about mitigating risk factors. 3 priests not DPSing for 3 seconds twice in a fight that could stop two people from dying and not being able to DPS the rest of a fight is a pretty no-brainer trade off.

We almost wiped on our attempt last night because a melee DPS decided to not run to the middle when he had the red beam on him. Instead of healing him, we let him die before he took the rest of the melee with him.

MEGAMERICAN on
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sorry. I meant the bite timer doesn't line up with the fear/airphase as it did before the fix. It used to be that you needed to bite as soon as she flew away, and you ended up with about 6 seconds to bite your target, needing to run across the raid and chaining bloodbolts.

Bikkstah on
  • NambkabNambkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heroic Saurfang25 is the biggest RNG clusterfuck I've ever seen. Nothing like 2 consecutive hours of sub5% wipes then winning only because marks hit different targets.

Nambkab on
  • OkoOko Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nambkab wrote: »
    Heroic Saurfang25 is the biggest RNG clusterfuck I've ever seen. Nothing like 2 consecutive hours of sub5% wipes then winning only because marks hit different targets.
    lol, congrats on the win all the same. I suppose gear will eat up that margin eventually to the point where it won't matter who gets marked.

Oko on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question for people on the ICC weekly quests.

If for whatever reason you are unable to accomplish the quest from last week, does it automatically repeat the next?

The reason I'm asking is that all we seem to be getting is the "clear Blood wing in 30 minutes" quest on 25s. Of course we haven't even attempted BQL on 25s yet and rarely have a clean kill of the council so we can't complete it.

Nobody on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nope, when you get in or defeat a boss or so before where the quest happens or the previous quest happens, it autoabandons it for you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I was just wondering if we had won the shit lottery because it's the only weekly we seem to get.

Nobody on
    edited February 2010
    Oko wrote: »
    lol, congrats on the win all the same. I suppose gear will eat up that margin eventually to the point where it won't matter who gets marked.

Gear may eventually help, but we had fun wipes where a combination of randomly targetted blood boil on a mark target while he's frenzied and at high blood power which produced for instance a resto shammy taking 38k damage in a 1.2sec window. She has 25k fully buffed. Gear won't fix that.

Nambkab on
    edited February 2010
    Oko wrote: »

Gear may eventually help, but we had fun wipes where a combination of randomly targetted blood boil on a mark target while he's frenzied and at high blood power which produced for instance a resto shammy taking 38k damage in a 1.2sec window. She has 25k fully buffed. Gear won't fix that.

Saurfang on heroic should be very difficult because it gives the 277 tier pieces + it unlocks the other wings but it sucks that you are very much at the mercy of the RNG.

Even if every healer is on the ball and realizes the situation you described it'd still be nigh impossible to heal that 38k within 1.2seconds.

MEGAMERICAN on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I have no issue with the encounter being difficult, and I love the 277 tier token I got last night. My issue is with just how randomness completely changed the fight. For 3 hours we wiped, and for 2 of them our execution was flawless. Despite that, we still wiped for 2 hours simply due to luck in who received marks and blood boils.

Nambkab on
  • Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How long do you have between blood boil being applied and the first tick? Could you hand of protection the blood boiled/marked targets, then do a cooldown rotation when hop wears off?

Also does heroic Sourfang block the rest of the bosses on heroic, or can you switch it to normal for him, and then do heroic sparkly vampires/valithria? (I'm guessing sourfang and the other wing bosses will still have to be done on heroic to unlock heroic arthas)

Lilac Citizen on
    edited February 2010
    The only boss you can't do on heroic without doing certain others on heroic is the Lich King, and it's only the limited attempt wing bosses. You can kill Saurfang on normal then attempt the other bosses on heroic.

forty on
    edited February 2010
    How long do you have between blood boil being applied and the first tick? Could you hand of protection the blood boiled/marked targets, then do a cooldown rotation when hop wears off?

Also does heroic Sourfang block the rest of the bosses on heroic, or can you switch it to normal for him, and then do heroic sparkly vampires/valithria? (I'm guessing sourfang and the other wing bosses will still have to be done on heroic to unlock heroic arthas)

You can indeed skip heroic saurfang and still do later bosses on heroic, it's what we did last week. Mechanically speaking though, the fight isn't that outrageous.

We already run HoP rotations (anyone that has killed him does). The rate of BP gain if you aren't removing blood boils is pretty insane. The cast rate on blood boil though doesn't help. We had attempts where he would go 20+ seconds without casting any. We also had attempts where he tossed out 3 more every 9 seconds like clockwork. The latter version made for drastically more interesting attempts.

Nambkab on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah apparently the Blood Boil cast is completely random. I've also heard people move any ranged that get marked into melee range when it happens so you can't get mark + blood boil on them. The only time this wouldn't work is hunters.

shadowane on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blood Boil can still hit melee targets, I think you're thinking of Blood Nova.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man sindragosa is a really fun fight.

polloface on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    Yeah I was just wondering if we had won the shit lottery because it's the only weekly we seem to get.

Definately the shit lottery.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If it's the same weekly as the week before, you just keep the quest in your log, nothing changes.

If it's a different quest in the new lockout period, killing Marrowgar will autoabandon your quest and you'll have to pick up the new one, wherever it is.

Our 10 has been in the same boat, though. Blood Quickening, and only ever Blood Quickening. Which is a blessing once you get the fights down though, since it's really the only weekly that doesn't involve doing extra shit. It's just clearing the wing ASAP, which you're doing anyway.

Javen on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rotface 10 isn't bugged, is he? Several people in my guild reported small slimes going after the healers when they hadn't been the target of the infection, nobody had died, and nobody used an immunity effect.

We had two 5% wipes tonight and it's so so frustrating being stuck on him.

Smasher on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My guild has basically stopped raiding together since 1) wiping 8+ times on Rotface the last time we raided together basically proved to us that we couldn't continue, 2) implied by 1 but we were taking people casually and that wasn't cutting it: when 3 people in your raid's used to being carried issues arise, and 3) the good players were saving their mains for PUG raids anyway so we got their underpowered alts which didn't help matters at all. So at this point I'm just gonna say fuck it and start pugging myself.

Opty on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's... wow, Opty.

In other news, heroic Marrowgar (10) can eat a bag of dicks.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skeith wrote: »
    That's... wow, Opty.

In other news, heroic Marrowgar (10) can eat a bag of dicks.

Don't have a resto druid in the raid? HAHA! YOU DIE!

Deathwhisper is a much more well balanced fight, though.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • BiffoniacusBiffoniacus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Smasher wrote: »
    Rotface 10 isn't bugged, is he? Several people in my guild reported small slimes going after the healers when they hadn't been the target of the infection, nobody had died, and nobody used an immunity effect.

The small slimes seem to have an aggro table, but aren't tauntable. They'll come out swinging at whoever had the disease, but I've seen healers aggro them just by doing what they do. Make sure you don't have a cleansing totem down, make sure your priests aren't using abolish disease, and make sure nobody's clearing the disease until the person who has it is near the big slime/ot. If anyone gets a slime attacking them, even the healers, then it is their job to kite it to the big slime so it can be eaten. If your healers are just standing there getting attacked by the little slime, tell them and whoever dropped it there to stop being bad.

Speaking of the shit lottery, I've never seen anything but Sindragosa on 10m, and I've had it about half the time on 25m. We're yet to complete it even once.

The Shadowmourne quest chain should not have been something that the rest of the raid has to make allowances for. I have no idea how we managed to clear Putricide with this guy in the abom suit, but now he's on the Blood Queen step of the quest. Three times we make sure he gets bitten first to get enough to do it, three times he fails to deliver any bites at all and gets MC'd and wipes us. The last attempt of the night the first bite went to someone else because he wasn't nearby, it's an amazing attempt and it looks like we'll get her down, and he intentionally wipes us with Pact of the Darkfallen. There are plenty of other DPS in the core group who are just as silly or worse, but attendance is a bit thin and the leaders want to keep the group as it is anyway.

Biffoniacus on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's a legendary. While it sucks when the person getting it is apparently terrible it's good that it involves the whole guild doing something in my opinion.

shadowane on
    edited February 2010

The small slimes seem to have an aggro table, but aren't tauntable. They'll come out swinging at whoever had the disease, but I've seen healers aggro them just by doing what they do. Make sure you don't have a cleansing totem down, make sure your priests aren't using abolish disease, and make sure nobody's clearing the disease until the person who has it is near the big slime/ot. If anyone gets a slime attacking them, even the healers, then it is their job to kite it to the big slime so it can be eaten. If your healers are just standing there getting attacked by the little slime, tell them and whoever dropped it there to stop being bad.

They actually do have an aggro table. The person who spawns the slime starts off with a massive amount of threat on it, impossible to pull off of.

That is, unless they do something like pop Mirror Images, either Pally bubble, Fade, or Invisbility, in which case the slime will go careening off after next highest on aggro which is often a healer.

(I'm the kiter on Rotface, and damn does this fight make my blood pressure rise sometimes).

Nobody on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How the hell does BQL choose her bites anyway?

It feels like it should be damage (or maybe even threat), and we like to get our feral druid bitten first, but she'll still go and bite a random person sometimes, which we've seen be a healer that isn't even showing up on Omen.

And she'll run across the entire damn room to bite someone else.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I have a plan for phase 3 of Malygos. I will get that weekly done.

1 person who's done the fight before. He leads out of the arcane balls, we /follow him when the phase begins and never stop.
    3 designated healers. They cast 5 of the HoTs on themselves, then the AOE heal.
    6 dps. They spam 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, etc.

Anything wrong with this plan? Should someone, like the leader, keep up a shield? Should people who get hit by the big beam out of Malygos' mouth run from the group, or trust to the AOE heal spam to take care of any damage?

ImperiusV on
    edited February 2010
    The person getting targeted by his beam needs to get his fire shield up, otherwise they pretty much die.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2010
    Sure is great being a healer in a raid without replenishment.

forty on
    edited February 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

They actually do have an aggro table. The person who spawns the slime starts off with a massive amount of threat on it, impossible to pull off of.

That is, unless they do something like pop Mirror Images, either Pally bubble, Fade, or Invisbility, in which case the slime will go careening off after next highest on aggro which is often a healer.

(I'm the kiter on Rotface, and damn does this fight make my blood pressure rise sometimes).

I am the person who is designated to heal the person with the slime debuff and I have yet to pull aggro off. My healing usually consists of a rejuv + 2 lifebloom stacks.

Either the people are doing some form of threat dump or they simply are running back when cleansed and not making sure the small slime gets into the larger one (a healer in my old guild used to do the latter all the time).

MEGAMERICAN on
    edited February 2010
    If the infected/little ooze-pursued person dies, you'll also have the ooze running off toward the healers.

forty on
    edited February 2010
    Might want to check to see if someone's doing a pally bubble on them too.

bowen on
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The small slimes seem to have an aggro table, but aren't tauntable. They'll come out swinging at whoever had the disease, but I've seen healers aggro them just by doing what they do.

My theory is that they fixate onto the person they're currently targetting a fraction of a second after they spawn. In general, that'll be effectively a body pull from the person who had the disease, but a poorly-timed heal - or, once or twice, I've pulled off a really well-timed aggro move - would instead get them onto a different person.

mattclem on
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ImperiusV wrote: »
    I think I have a plan for phase 3 of Malygos. I will get that weekly done.

1 person who's done the fight before. He leads out of the arcane balls, we /follow him when the phase begins and never stop.
    3 designated healers. They cast 5 of the HoTs on themselves, then the AOE heal.
    6 dps. They spam 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, etc.

Anything wrong with this plan? Should someone, like the leader, keep up a shield? Should people who get hit by the big beam out of Malygos' mouth run from the group, or trust to the AOE heal spam to take care of any damage?

Uh. I single-heal the drake portion of Malygos-10, and I'm pretty sure we were only dual-healing it back at the time it was progression content.

If the healers know what they're doing, they don't need to shield themselves. But that's probably information that should only go to the good healers :-)

Do the Malygos drakes scale with gear now? I don't recall any mention of that fight being changed specifically, but it wouldn't surprise me, and it would explain why it felt very easy to heal the last time we went in.

mattclem on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah they do.

bowen on
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Out of curiosity, anyone going for lich king world first... couldn't they clear the bosses on easy mode and once they are all down set it to heroic on the lich king?

Or is there a mechanic preventing that?

Thomase1984 on
This discussion has been closed.