As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Creepy/Terrifying Tales Thread: The Vengencing

1181920212224»

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ah well when/if you get it done into a book let us know I'm sure the PA people'd be interested in buying it.

SkutSkut on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Apart from some of the dialog straining credibility, I really like everything you've posted so far. I'm having trouble keeping track of different characters, but I'll try re-reading it from the beginning once you've posted the whole thing.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Still loving it, need more.

Sipex on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That was awesome

though Paul seems rather violent and assholish ohdearh.png

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread needs more Vaelor stories. Once he's done we ought to compile them into one post and report for AWESOME.

Spacemilk on
    edited April 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    This thread needs more Vaelor stories. Once he's done we ought to compile them into one post and report for AWESOME.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've not kept up with this thread for a while, so I don't know if we're still talking about it or what, but I got my first real taste of sleep paralysis this morning.

Sounds like the same 'old hag' type of thing, except there was a black cloudy thing throttling me, while some weird guy watched, stuck up on my wall. it was somewhat unnerving.

mr-razzcocks on
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've not kept up with this thread for a while, so I don't know if we're still talking about it or what, but I got my first real taste of sleep paralysis this morning.

Sounds like the same 'old hag' type of thing, except there was a black cloudy thing throttling me, while some weird guy watched, stuck up on my wall. it was somewhat unnerving.

I really hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to me. I'd probably freak out.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vaelorrrr where areeee youuuuu

Spacemilk on
    edited June 2010
    oh god the creature found him, didn't it?

After all this time... ohdearh.png

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh hello my favorite thread. Where have you been?

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm glad this thread is back. Now I have something to read at night because I really enjoy it even though I know it's a bad idea and oh god what is that behind me I think I'll sleep with the lights on...

I may even get around to posting some of my own stories.

SirUltimos on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A friend of mine, Jacob, moves into a really old apartment building for college, we're talking new york style brickhouse with the fire escape and everything. It's kind of rustic but he likes the feeling and he figured he'd get used to the stairs.

A few days after moving out he's woken up by music blaring from the apartment above him. It's like, 3am and it's just going and going.

Now Jacob is a pretty passive guy (seclusive, nerdy type, like most of my friends) so he bites the bullet and suffers through it, the music doesn't turn down until two hours later when someone calls the police on his neighbour or something.

A few days later, same thing, except it's now 2am and the shitty floors are doing nothing to dampen the sound. Jacob, the optimist, believes this is a fluke and suffers through it yet again, until 5am.

This goes on a couple more times slowly wearing him down from passive to passive aggressive.

Finally, one night, Jacob snaps, well, sort of, he stomps up stairs and slams a sticky note on the guy's door, apartment 301 (important), before rushing back to his apartment. He doesn't hear the guy's door open but the music turns off almost immediately.

Suddenly, his neighbour is no longer a problem, Jacob goes the entire school year without so much as a peep from upstairs even up until the night before he's about to move back home for the summer. To celebrate, Jacob has a party with all his college buddies staying up, playing video games, watching vintage movies and getting drunk. Jacob's friends go home and he passes out on the couch.

The next morning he gets up and stuck to his TV, is a sticky note.

"Keep it down!
    - Apartment 301"

Sipex on
    edited June 2010
    This happened about two years ago. My girlfriend (at the time) lived about two towns over, just outside a small little village on a farm. It was a pretty cool place, with all sorts of roads winding endlessly through the countryside to reach all the farms in the area. The village itself was pretty cool too, with all sorts old Anglican churches and a surprisingly good library. We actually made a hobby out of exploring these roads around the village, and we had a good time doing it. We found all sorts of neat little things, like a grove of blueberry bushes along the road and a really sweet looking burnt out mill. This story is about a different trip though.

I was spending the night at her house ( ;) ) and we decided to go for a drive and explore like we usually do. We head off, and are driving for about 20 minutes or so, taking random turns, when we come across a building we've never seen before. It looks, at a first glance, like any of the numerous churches you can find in the area, only much bigger. We pull up beside it (like we do with anything interesting we come across) and give it a closer look from the car. The first thing to hit us is that this church just doesn't look right. Neither of us can put our finger on it, but it just feels off somehow. The next thing we notice is that even though the car's headlights illuminate the church a bit, there's no recognizable religious imagery. Or windows. I point out to her that's there's no windows, and she just nods. I continue scanning the stone walls and start feeling uneasy. The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up and I suddenly have an overwhelming sense of dread wash over me. I look over at her and from the look in her eyes I can tell that she's experiencing the same thing.

We've finally had enough. My girlfriend breaks the silence and says "I wanna leave. Can we please leave?" and I nod in agreement. I pull a 3 point turn with the car and we turn around and head back the way we came. As we get further away from the church we both start to feel more at ease and we even start talking again. With all of our previous fear being gone, we start discussing what that "church" was, and eventually come to the conclusion that it must have been a Synagogue of sorts. It probably did have religious imagery, but since neither of us are Jewish we just didn't recognize it. As for the lack of windows, I theorize that we were looking at the back of the building and that's why there weren't any. Then we proceeded to laugh at our own stupidity of being creeped out by a Synagogue, with me of course denying ever being scared in the first place. I figure we're just about back at the highway, another turn or two, when that same feeling of dread hits us again, and stronger than before.

The two of us immediately go silent and start looking around. There it is. Somehow we got lost again and drove right back to that damn building. My girlfriend starts freaking out, telling me I did this on purpose just to scare her and that it's not funny. I tell her that I didn't, and I swear I took all the right turns to get back to the highway. She says, with actual fear in her voice, "I don't care. Let's just get out of here" and I drove off again.

There is no talking this time. I have my eyes glued to the road and am dead set on making the correct turns to get out of there and back to her house. Yet it happens again. We come from the opposite direction this time, but we're back at that damn building. I'm in full on panic mode at this point, and she's almost in hysterics. The air feels different this time, almost hostile. Where once I felt uneasy I now felt terrified. I felt like I was in danger, and I had to leave now.

I don't bother turning around this time, my foot just slams on the gas. Normally I'd take it slow in case a deer jumped out in front of the car, but I didn't care anymore. We booked it out of there as fast as we could, taking random turns hoping to get anywhere but here. It seemed like an eternity, but then we saw a light in the distance ahead of us. My mind started racing. "What is that? Who else would be out here? Where the fuck are we?". We get closer... and it's a streetlight. We found the highway. I breath an audible sigh of relief and we race back to her parents farm.

The next morning we decide to head back out and find that building again, figuring that there's no way it could be scary in the daylight and that we could maybe even get out of the car and take a look around it. We were on the road for two hours and still hadn't found anything, so we decide to head back to her place and ask her parents about it. They've lived on the farm for a good 30 years so surely they'd know about this place we found.

We get back and tell them about this "church" we found and ask them if they've heard of it. They tell us that no, they haven't heard of it. I give them the rough directions we took and they tell us again that no, they haven't heard of it or seen it. Her dad tells us that we probably just saw something that we always see, but didn't recognize it when it was shrouded in darkness. My girlfriend was noticeably relieved at this point, obviously believing her dad that it was just a church we regularly drive by.

I wasn't convinced, and when I got home later that night I checked Google Earth and spent a long time scouring the countryside around her house. I still haven't found that building we saw, and to this day I can't even find the road we were on when we saw it. I never told her this though, which is probably for the best. She never mentions that night, and as far as I know has never told anyone about it.

So that's my story. I wish I could say it was the scariest thing that happened to me on that farm.

SirUltimos on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    So that's my story. I wish I could say it was the scariest thing that happened to me on that farm.

Go on...

Cristoval on
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cristoval wrote: »

Go on...

Yes...you can't just end with that and expect us to not demand moar.

Aeyther on
    edited June 2010
    Heh. I posted that before heading to work. I'm not feeling so hot, but I'll try and type up another for you guys tonight.

SirUltimos on
  • VaelorVaelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Och, apologies to all. I have been intending to edit and post the final part for a while now, but the better part of the last four weeks was spent in the loving embrace of this lovely lady:

889316894_JLC93-L.jpg

...and I neglected most everything else.

My bad.

The rest is coming Soon™. Just need to find time in the day.

Vaelor on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aeyther wrote: »

Go on...

Hmm. Perhaps that area has some kind of pocket dimension. :P As a rule, never go exploring at night.

Krathoon on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vaelor wrote: »

Och, apologies to all. I have been intending to edit and post the final part for a while now, but the better part of the last four weeks was spent in the loving embrace of this lovely lady:

http://roguestar.smugmug.com/HDR/All-Photos/FloatCub/889316894_JLC93-L.jpg

...and I neglected most everything else.

My bad.

The rest is coming Soon™. Just need to find time in the day.

Why does that plane have a noose on it? Are you trying to tell us something?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • VaelorVaelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why does that plane have a noose on it? Are you trying to tell us something?

Heh. Negative - most seaplanes have a line on each wing to help with water handling around beaches and docks. They come in handy when wind or current are blasting... watching your ride sail away without you is a fairly embarrassing turn of events.

Vaelor on
  • Manji2099Manji2099 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's a few....
    So one night just a few weeks after we graduated high school, a bunch of us got together at my friend's country house for dinner and 'Dessert'. So we go out to the shed, waiting for the rest of the group. We're fucking around with the punching bag. Car pulls up; we go to meet our friends. We're ALL at the door and BAM!!! Punching bag goes off. You could feel it vibrate in the walls and through the floor. We bolted. Tod our friends, they get the bright idea to use a quijea board in the house and shed.
    Well nothing happens. We go back in and have dinner, then pass out 'Dessert'. A 'Dessert' whose primary letter is X. Being the sober guy, I was charged with keeping hold of them. They all started making out and wandered off into the woods, so I warned them not too wander too far and get lost, and left 'em ('cause I didn't need to see three guys gang bang this guy's slutty girlfriend). Anyways, one of my sober friends decides she wants to go get coffee, and I go with her after checking on them one last time. Everyone's fine, naked, multiple dicks in a single orifice. I leave, come back. Nearly an hour round trip. Come home, Chris is freaking out, in seizures, burning up.
    So i'm convinced one of my best friends is dead. He stops breathing, turns blue, and we give him CPR, get his breathing going again, and then set and massage color back in his legs. At this point he wakes up and tells us he wants us to put on a CD. Like, Enya or some shit. It's a famiiar song but I can't find it for the life of me, used to be on shitty new age mixed tape advertised on Nickelodeon. Anyways, he tells us the exact song number, calms down.
    I put the CD in, and play the song, and it sounds like Heaven. It's serene, beautiful, peaceful. He calms down, breathing evens out. Then.....weirdest thing. The CD went to the next song, and I swear, it was exactly what they play on the seventh layer of Hell. Deep African chanting, drums, heavy bass, slow and methodical. He freaks out, loses his temper, starts punching holes in the wall, crying like a little girl, BEGGING us to make it stop. I UNPLUG THE MOTHERFUCKER, and it keeps playing for thirty seconds. No batteries, no power, and I kept hitting off. The song winds down and then quits suddenly, and he just collapses, like a puppet with his strings cut. Five minutes later he wakes up and tells us what happened on HIS end.
    He swears that the minute he went into convulsions and our friend slung him over his shoulder and carried him home, Shadows started chasing him, all the way into the house. Silent, ominous, stalking. He said he remembers standing outside of his body and looking at us giving him CPR and shadow people all around, watching. He said when the Hell Song started playing, they went CRAZY, hissing, chanting, wailing in fear and agony.
    and then three years later I discovered the definition of a Shadow Man on the web, showed it to him, and he FREAKED the fuck out over a drawing of one of them. It was unsetting. Now I realize most of this was just a fever and substance induced hallucination, but it still creeped me right the FUCK out. Later, the guy who owned that house was tripping on Dots and swears he was possessed by a Demon. The House is really fucked up, it's got a weird feel, and even before all of this I was REALLY uncomfortable in that house.

Now another one, sans the substance abuse. :P
    So I started working at Wal-Mart, and I met this one guy. Great guy. Been in the Marines, went to Iraq, just a good old redneck. Well his girfirend was a Native American, very spiritual. Great couple, great friends. First night I stayed over at their house they were telling me stories. Indian kids who would fuck with the blacklights at night, a cowboy with a bloody hole in his head who would stick his head through the window and watch them have sex. So I was skeptical. We finally I break down and say I'm ready for a shower. He warns me; When you're done, you'll see little kids handprints all over the mirror, but there will be no one with you. "hahah, right." Went in, wiped the mirror down, took a piss, hesitated. It got really cold. I started to freak out. Okay, so fuck it. Forced myself to calm down. Decided the best way to do it was to just keep the bathroom from steaming, so I had just enough heat to keep the chill off.
    I literally get in, wash my face and hair and pits in like five seconds and jump out. No steam. So i'm drying off, patting myself on the back and as i'm dressing I get a cold chill AS GODDAMNED HANDPRINTS MATERIALIZE ON THE FUCKING MIRROR!! Tiny, tiny, tiny little handprints. One set, then another and another. Slowly forming, like someone slowly put their hand against the glass fingertips first, putting all their weight in the tips, then slowly pushing inward until it was a complete handprint. Yeah.......
    So later that night I was laying in the guest bed (it was only one bedroom) with something knocking the blacklights back and forth over my head. With FORCE. Kylie, his girfriend, rolled over, saw it and said, "They like you!"
    Fucking creepy. But the scariest thing? I stayed over there every chance I could get, and everytime I took a shower, the handprints appeared in a different spots.

Manji2099 on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know how much of a story it is but I still find it strange:

So when I get tired, I see a white rabbit. Its usually only when I'm driving but I've seen it at home too, outside . I've always just figured it was my body's way of telling me I'm too tired and need to sleep. The strange part is, my brother told me he sees the exact same thing when he's tired. At first I thought maybe it was the two of us playing off of each other mentioning it, until we started seeing it at the same time.

So we're either haunted by a ghostly rabbit...or have some crazy genetic switch go off when we're tired.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    I don't know how much of a story it is but I still find it strange:

So when I get tired, I see a white rabbit. Its usually only when I'm driving but I've seen it at home too, outside . I've always just figured it was my body's way of telling me I'm too tired and need to sleep. The strange part is, my brother told me he sees the exact same thing when he's tired. At first I thought maybe it was the two of us playing off of each other mentioning it, until we started seeing it at the same time.

So we're either haunted by a ghostly rabbit...or have some crazy genetic switch go off when we're tired.

Does Jefferson Airplane start playing in your head at any time during this? Because that would be awesome.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aeyther wrote: »

Go on...

I concur!

That was a nice little story to creep myself out before bedtime.

Dangerbird on
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    edit

Aeyther on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder why it always gets cold when ghosts are around? Why doesn't it get hot?

I mean, it works beautifully as a symbolic nod toward the unnerving physical coldness of dead things, but why should a ghost cause coldness? Do they gain their energy from warmth in the air or something?

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder why it always gets cold when ghosts are around? Why doesn't it get hot?

I mean, it works beautifully as a symbolic nod toward the unnerving physical coldness of dead things, but why should a ghost cause coldness? Do they gain their energy from warmth in the air or something?
    Necrotic energy, gosh.

Goddamn that is like Undead 101 shit. You better pray you never meet a vampire or something or you'd try and stake in the ass instead of the heart.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The story totally sounds like the dead guy's spirit did not go anywhere and he was frustrated.

Krathoon on
    edited June 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

Necrotic energy, gosh.

Goddamn that is like Undead 101 shit. You better pray you never meet a vampire or something or you'd try and stake in the ass instead of the heart.

Please, a stake to the heart is for emergencies at best; most vampires will be expecting you to do that. The preferred method of dealing with a vampire is to lure it near a high school and let 50 teenage girls fangirl it to death.

Lieberkuhn on
    edited June 2010

Necrotic energy, gosh.

Please, a stake to the heart is for emergencies at best; most vampires will be expecting you to do that. The preferred method of dealing with a vampire is to lure it near a high school and let 50 teenage girls fangirl it to death.
    Except that you did that at night so now you have 50 dominated meat puppets. Good job! :^:

If you tried to do it at day we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited June 2010

Necrotic energy, gosh.

Except that you did that at night so now you have 50 dominated meat puppets. Good job! :^:

What would 50 teenage girls be doing in school at night?

You trap it inside the assembly hall with the blinders down, duhh

Lieberkuhn on
    edited June 2010

Necrotic energy, gosh.

Cheerleading practice.

Prom preparations.

Twilight screening.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes, theoretically ghosts need energy to manifest so they cause things like cold spots, drain batteries, etc.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited June 2010

Necrotic energy, gosh.

Cheerleading practice.

Prom preparations.

Twilight screening.

Those can't be guaranteed to be on at any given night. Even if they are, though, score! Teenage girls don't rely on their vision; they move as a group, coordinating their actions via spritzes of body spray. They're a lot like ants in that respect, except the queen destroys their self-esteem instead of giving birth to them.

Lieberkuhn on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay;

When I was living in Edmonton in a high rise on Jasper Avenue with my brother (on the 13th floor. Yeah, I shit you not), there were two 'quirks' with our apartment itself and one nuisance: the quirks were that the fridge and oven were finicky, the latter coming on spontaneously (and staying on for God knows how long because we simply failed to notice) and the former sometimes blinking it's light on and off (it was a beat-up old model, so you could tell when the light was on because it shone through the sealing) the nuisance would be that, like clockwork, there would be a series of loud thuds coming from upstairs that would start at around 11 O'clock at night and persist intermittently for an hour. We complain to the landlords, but they tell us that the apartment above ours is vacant - so the noise must be coming from elsewhere.

We become acclimated to the noise & quirky appliance behavior anyway, and things are pretty normal for about a year or so. Then, on the 21st of February (...and my brithday happens to be on the 6th of February, just btw), I get home from work around 10 O'clock and go straight to my computer... and then, right on schedule, the thudding starts at 11. I just happened to be in an irritable mood so I stop what I'm doing and wander over to my bathroom, thinking of maybe yelling up one of the vents at the assholes... and then I see a small spatter of blood on my bathroom floor. I look up, and there's a just a dab of blood on the edge of one of my bathroom's ceiling tiles. In other words, it looks to me like the blood on the floor got there by seeping through from the apartment above mine.

I don't exactly freak out, but I move pretty damn quick and called the local police station. I described the situation, told them that I wasn't totally sure it was blood but it certainly looked like it, they send over a few cops to investigate. Turns out a guy named David Wong had been brutally murdered and chopped-up. The police had received a noise complaint earlier, but investigated the wrong apartments and turned-up nothing.

So, that was creepy.

But it gets a teeny bit creepier.

About 2-3 months later, I'm moved in with a new roommate in a different apartment working a different job as a call center agent for Pizza 73. My first week on the job, guess who I get a call from? Guys who just moved into my apartment. Now, here's why that alone would be creepy - the call routing is totally random, and there are maybe 400 agents working at a time that they could've been routed to.

So I tell them who I am, then they immediately jump at me with, "Dude - has there always been a thudding noise in this apartment?" and I tell them that there has been, and ask them if the fridge & oven still behave the same way. They confirm that they do.

The very next day I run into Sarah - the girl who made the first call to the police when she heard loud bangs & screams - who recognized me from a very brief TV interview I'd done with Global News. We have a short conversation and, on a bit of a lark, I go out on a limb and ask her about the banging noises she heard - and I start to clap my hands in rough rhythm with the thuds that would always occur in my apartment at 11. She gets a very pale look on her face and starts to clap in unison with me.

"...Oh, shit. You heard the banging too, then?"

I sort of nod my head and change the subject. I hadn't heard the banging that afternoon at all; I'd been at work all day.

Later on at work, I get a call again from the guys from my old apartment. They can't believe that they got me again. They only called Pizza 73 as a last resort after Pizza Hut couldn't fill their order; they wanted half a dozen pizzas for a housebreaking party. As I was wrapping up the order, I could hear a very familiar thudding noise start in the background. I checked my watch after the guys had hung up - it was just a minute past 11.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited June 2010
    D: holy damn that's creepy

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Now that is a good story.

Muse Among Men on
  • MarlockieMarlockie Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    Alittle something that actually happened to me..

back when I used to live in this old rickety looking house.. probly WWII or something, it had a 4 post cargarage that didn't have any walls except for the back one, which housed a small shed like thing.. it was old, had holes and other sorts of missing pieces where dry rot or whatever happened to parts of the roof and wall..

anywho, one night when a big rain storm hit, cuddled up with my cat, we were looking out the window toward the street and carport like thing, when out from nowhere floating, or slow flying .... well gliding toward the window with arms outreached, with long hair grizzled 2week type unshaved beard and what have you, looking pissed off. Scared me shitless... I know that I wasn't seeing things, cause me Cat gave the loudest his, turned jumped off the top bunk of my bed, and out the door... I turned giving one last look, and it was gone... I will never forget that night... ever. it didn't make a sound just gliding surrealisticly towards my window.. needless to say, I was sleeping outside my bedroom in the living room for the next couple of days.

Marlockie on