As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please help me connect my PC to my TV.

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
OK.

First off, let me say that although I'm no technophobe, I know only a little about PC hardware and even less about TV/audio standards. So I apologise if my questions are immensely dumb.

I have a fairly modern PC - Athlon 64 3200+, a gig of RAM. The GPU is only a Geforce 6600 (128mb), with DVI out. The important limiter is that the case is compact, so the graphics card is low-profile. I can't get a bigger case because there's no space under my desk.

My TV is a Sharp LC20S4 (Japanese, you see) - that's a 20-inch LCD TV, analogue tuner (as far as I understand what that means). It has a S-video input, a composite input, and a component input with D2-terminal.

I'd like to connect the PC to the TV and watch videos/play games. I guess my options are:

(1) Some kind of connector/adapter/cable. I don't know which one.

(2) Getting a new graphics card which has TV-out and is low-profile. I've tried to search for one at places like Newegg, but I'm a bit lost. I have no idea which one would be good.

So can anyone help me out please?

I figure I could take a bear.
poshniallo on

• Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If your computer has an s-video out port, than all you need is an s-video cable to hook the two together.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Unfortunately, the Geforce only has a DVI out. I use some kind of convertor (came with the PC) to connect it to my monitor.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most of the newer cards come with "HDTV" out - which I believe is just component-out. You should be able to get a higher resolution and good image quality with those; I don't know what D2 is, but if it's component then I imagine you'll be able to get an RCA-D2 adapter.

I also strongly suspect that your current card can output S-Video, as it's a standard feature on video cards since at least GeForce 3 times. You will be restricted to a fairly low resolution (I think less than 800x600) though, and the colours might look a bit worse than component.
    Usually there's a round socket on the card, which carries both - s-video and composite - signals; you should have gotten a cable that will split it into single connections, though it's pretty standard on all cards so you should be able to find one for cheap too.

I just googled that model number and it seems that that display isn't very good - I mean supposedly it has a resolution of only 640x480, which is horrible for PCs.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, there aren't any outputs on the card except for DVI. Could an S-video be on the card but buried behind the backplate thing?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    poshniallo wrote:
    I'd like to connect the PC to the TV and watch videos/play games. I guess my options are:

(1) Some kind of connector/adapter/cable. I don't know which one.

(2) Getting a new graphics card which has TV-out and is low-profile. I've tried to search for one at places like Newegg, but I'm a bit lost. I have no idea which one would be good.

With your current set, it's not going to happen. But you have a number of options in front of you that can achieve your goal I think:

1) Buy a video card with the proper connections. ATI's All In Wonder cards are a good example of this, but just about every video card these days comes with at least, DVI and a VGA connection. If you shop around, you can find cards with S-Video, even HDMI. However, if you can't upgrade your video card, you can -

2) Get a device called a Scan Converter, like this. Since most video cards have both VGA and DVI, you can use it on your VGA port whilest you use DVI for your PC. If you just have two DVI, you'll need to find a scan converter with DVI hookups. If you have a single DVI port, then you might be up a creek. There are a lot of variations on the 6600, so you'll need to tell us what exactly you have (unless I mis-read, and in fact, you only have a single DVI).

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    _X__X_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You can pick up a cheap card with S-Video out on it. Mine is a 512mb PCI-e card and it only cost me 150 and it has excellent performance. I have the S-Video out cable that came with the card itself hooked up. An S-video cable plugged into that at one and and an RF switch at the other. Then a coax cable running to my TV. I use a standard 1 plus cable for sound that goes from my video card to the RF switch with a small piece of wire coming off of it so I can have both left and right sound in.

_X_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the advice, but the card has ONLY a single DVI port, and is low profile.

Can anyone recommend a good low-profile card - because newegg makes me more than a little confused.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sorry - also the card is PCI Express.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You are gonna have a hard time finding a low profile video card with two outputs. And DVI splitters are prohibitively expensive.

You could maybe convert to VGA and then get a VGA splitter, then get another converter to goto something your TV understands. Thats a lot of converters though.. your signal would probably degrade and some of those converter cables may not be too cheap..

You could always just get a DVI -> Component cable and just hot swap the cable on the back of your box. Not elegant, but functional and cheap.

fforde on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2231768&CatId=1826
    That there is what I'm running with right now. I payed 140 or so about 4 months ago. It works great for any game that I play. FEAR chops down a bit when going from dim lit areas to well lit areas on maxed settings but I think thats just my shitty RAM.

_X_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It looks like I need a new graphics card then.

Can anyone recommend a low profile card with TV-out please?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2746203&CatId=1560
    That perhaps? I used to have a workstation desktop and I didn't know about llow profile cards at the time so I just unscrewed the back off the video card and put it in that way.

_X_ on