As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LOGIC THREAD for tossrocks and bongis

• Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    imagine that i have a mathematical pizza

and i substract an infinitesimally small piece of it

it would still be less pepperoni than before! I don't about you, but I am pro more pepperoni.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    it's not clear at all that mathematics is separate from reality

mathematics and physics are becoming more closely and spookily entwined all the time

bongi on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    maths treats reality as being continuous, but that is only an approximation valid for large scales

mathematical physics is all just models that come closer and closer to describing reality, not really discovering laws that the universe somehow runs on... this is hard to explain but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at

point is all our tools are only really good at describing things on a human scale, quantum mechanics is on a tiny scale blah blah relativity big scale maths/physics is middle ground and ugh so tired it's 4am I'll come back to this if the thread is alive tomorrow

L|ama on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    How do you explain for example

The success of ('pure' mathematical) symmetries in not only classifying known fundamental particles, but also in predicating the properties of unknown ones

Or the success of matrix mechanics in classifying quantum mechanical phenomena and predicting novel results

This is not really a question that I am expecting you to answer
    It's fucking weird

bongi on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    a wizard did it

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What is the difference between .99999.... and 1? Subtract .99999... from 1. You get 0. (There is no such number as .000000...0001)

And if you subtract a number from another number and get 0, then they are the same number.

Another term for subtraction is "difference". With .9999... and 1, the difference is 0 - literally, there is no (0) difference.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Induction is the best proof

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am the wizard who did things

me

Robcham on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    i am the wizard who made robcham and gave him the powers to do these things

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    Arkan wrote: »
    What is the difference between .99999.... and 1? Subtract .99999... from 1. You get 0. (There is no such number as .000000...0001)

And if you subtract a number from another number and get 0, then they are the same number.

Another term for subtraction is "difference". With .9999... and 1, the difference is 0 - literally, there is no (0) difference.

I think actually if subtract 0.999... from 1 you get an infinitesimal

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Except if you think about it such numbers are impossible. You can't have an infinite number of something and then something else; because the very act of going to the something else makes the infinite thing not infinite.

If I give you an infinite number of pennies and then punch you in the face, will I ever punch you in the face? No.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You get an infiniteismal 0.0000.............1

BLOWS THE MIND

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zot didn't do shit

I am the main wizard here

I train other wizards to wreck your shit

Robcham on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, I know it's not infinite if it ends.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010

Except if you think about it such numbers are impossible. You can't have an infinite number of something and then something else; because the very act of going to the something else makes the infinite thing not infinite.

If I give you an infinite number of pennies and then punch you in the face, will I ever punch you in the face? No.

Actually, there are differently sized infinities
    For example the infinity of natural numbers is smaller than the infinity of real numbers

bongi on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the .999... = 1 thing reminds me of a dude in my math class that couldn't understand that the number of numbers between 3 and 4 is the same as the number of numbers between negative infinity and positive infinity.

Because of atomic limitations or planck distance or something.

Like, there's a difference between real and physical, dude.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Darric wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

The colourless, odourless, tasteless killer.

Major component in acid rain.

also used as an industrial solvent! and it's deadly if you inhale it!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    the .999... = 1 thing reminds me of a dude in my math class that couldn't understand that the number of numbers between 3 and 4 is the same as the number of numbers between negative infinity and positive infinity.

Actually

The number of numbers between 3 and 4 is greater than the infinity of natural numbers

The integers are a countable infinity

The numbers between 3 and 4 include irrational numbers and are therefore uncountably infinite

bongi on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

The success of ('pure' mathematical) symmetries in not only classifying known fundamental particles, but also in predicating the properties of unknown ones

Or the success of matrix mechanics in classifying quantum mechanical phenomena and predicting novel results

It's fucking weird

I don't think the usefulness of matrix mechanics at least is "weird" at all. Ultimately all those processes are complexity reductions (or convenience functions) for underlying equation solving, which again is only a convenience form for pattern analysis - so if you accept that the universe is not in fact random, which we must for the purpose of this discussion, then even when the exact deterministic method can't be found, patterns must exist, which beings us back to equations and matrices.

Darric on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The whole countably infinite vs uncountably infinite is a pretty good proof that mathematics is bunk.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The whole countably infinite vs uncountably infinite is a pretty good proof that mathematics is bunk.

CAANTOOOOOOORRR

Darric on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    monty hall problem

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Infinity makes my brain hurt.

The .99999... = 1 thing has been backed up by mathematicians, though, so I think I'll go with the experts and not random internet people. Sorry. :(

Arkan on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010

Right except that the countable/uncountable distinction has a core place in Gödel's incompleteness theorems that have all kinds of ramifications in 'real world' disciplines such as computer science

[edit]Well, rather, similar concepts to the countable/uncountable distinction, at least

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Incidentally, Cantor's diagonal argument is my favourite proof.

Darric on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010

It's fucking weird

I don't think the usefulness of matrix mechanics at least is "weird" at all. Ultimately all those processes are complexity reductions (or convenience functions) for underlying equation solving, which again is only a convenience form for pattern analysis - so if you accept that the universe is not in fact random, which we must for the purpose of this discussion, then even when the exact deterministic method can't be found, patterns must exist, which beings us back to equations and matrices.

I don't think it would be 'weird' if these 'pure' mathematical bits and pieces didn't then turn out to have predictive power
    That is the crux of the weirdness

Not only does mathematics describe our observational results
    It also predicts stuff we haven't observed yet

bongi on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mine is 50-cent-bulletproof-g-unit.jpg

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Actually

The number of numbers between 3 and 4 is greater than the infinity of natural numbers

The numbers between 3 and 4 include irrational numbers and are therefore uncountably infinite

Right, sorry he was saying that uncountably infinite numbers were impossible.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    monty hall problem

it's funny when people get confused by that
    it really makes perfect sense as long as you look at it logically

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    also I'm working on a proof for the statement: bongi is a butt

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's fucking weird

I don't think it would be 'weird' if these 'pure' mathematical bits and pieces didn't then turn out to have predictive power

It's rad as hell, sure, but I don't know about "weird".

Darric on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

statement A: You are what you eat

unintentional on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought this was about logic_pro_bx.jpg and I got all excited

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Axiom X: bongi is a butt

Take axiom X. QED.

It all comes down to picking the right axioms.

Darric on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

statement A: You are what you eat

does this mean that he eats assholes or that he eats buttcheekflesh

or both

ed: best totp or bestest totp

Arkan on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010

Actually

Right, sorry he was saying that uncountably infinite numbers were impossible.

Oh, yeah it's a difficult concept to grasp at first
    I had an argument with a dude in my logic class about it after we looked at Cantor's argument
    His point was that a countable infinity is pragmatically uncountable anyway so there's no difference
    I think that a better description would be 'enumerable' infinity and 'innumerable' infinity

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But when you do grasp the ide aof infinite numbers, you truly do have a Matrixesque type moment where there is no spoon.

It's a great feeling.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But when you do grasp the ide aof infinite numbers, you truly do have a Matrixesque type moment where there is no spoon.

It's a great feeling.

funnily enough I didn't really "get" infinity until an argument about

wait for it

the .99999... = 1 thing

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I still don't get how infinities can be bigger or smaller than each other, but I believe you guys.

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's fucking weird

There may be a very simple explanation for this phenomenon that we just can't see. Nature is full of phenomena that seem to be complex and mysterious but can actually have very simple rules governing them. For example, flocks of starlings or schools of fish moving in unison appears to require some higher organization that surely these simple beasts lack. But really the problem is simply one of perception. The behavior looks complex, so we tend to assume it is. However it's been shown that a few very simple rules can effectively lead to the same behavior. Here's one example I found with a quick search: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/

I was talking about this with usagi last night. People trained in advanced mathematics that like to play around with it will often talk of the beauty of a particular set of numbers or a formula, and maybe this is just their finely tuned brain instinctively recognizing number sets or formulas that are likely to be useful even if they don't know what they're a solution for yet. Nothing mystical or even arguably weird, just a process that we don't fully understand yet.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg