As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LOGIC THREAD for tossrocks and bongis

1235»

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    still not feeling it

maths largely was invented to explain empirical things, you have an apple and you add one and you get two apples, then you can figure out that if you add two more apples you have four.

I guess it depends on whether the axioms that everything is based on come from explaining physical situations or not, and I have no idea whether this is common or if it can even be decided reliably.

Being a physics major has probably muddled my brain up beyond repair for thinking about most of this though

Early mathematics was probably based on abstraction from empirical finding sure.

Ugg the caveman sees that he has a rabbit for Uggette, his wife, and Ugg Jr. He also sees that he could put a rabbit on each of the rocks outside his cave and there would be a rabbit for each rock and no rabbits left for him to eat, etc.

However that works.

But it's very difficult to see how empirical observation could be the basis of virtually any mathematics aside from the natural numbers and the very basic functions that operate on them. How does one empirically observe zero, or negative numbers, or that pi*r^2 is the relationship between the radius of a circle and its circumference (how does one deduce pi from empirical observation to begin with?).

bongi on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well yeah, math is always a tool to describe the real world to varying degrees of abstraction.
    There was never a question like "what came first, pi or the circle?"
    I'm pretty proud of that sentence btw, that is TV material 8-)

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shit, it shows you how fucking snowed under at work I am that I didn't even notice this thread until now.

I'm setting up camp over here. My skills and tools are rusty from disuse, but by Gods, I'm ready for a good old fashioned proof.

Just as soon as I finish testing and compling this code.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maths develops alongside other disciplines pretty often, but also based on just math, too.
    And when you go from the notion that it started out as a tool to describe the 'real world' , I find it pretty easy to accept on some level that, the better this took gets, the better it describes the world it started out with describing.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's an XKCD strip about that, somewhere.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    I did a bunch of work on differential equations on fractals. All the mathematicians in the area insisted that it was pure pure pure and had no applications.

Turns out there's a secretive military contractor company building our fractals as antennae, exploiting them for the wave-propagation properties we discovered.

All is number, ladies and gents.

I really dislike military funding of research, it just means it's going to be steered the wrong way and the best stuff is going to be kept secret

it's probably better than no funding, but I'm not sure

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But if history has taught us anything, it's that if you're a valuable weapons developer, you're never out of a job, even if your country loses a fucking world war!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i take my masters oral in math in less than a month

don't know what i'm going to do afterwards, probably take a year off then do phd

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But if history has taught us anything, it's that if you're a valuable weapons developer, you're never out of a job, even if your country loses a fucking world war!

the treatment of the paperclip scientists is pretty abhorrent, yep. Especially Mr. Werner "Oh I love space so much the jews just got in the way I didn't know anything!" Von Braun.

Also fuck Fritz Haber, and Grignard while I'm at it.

"He moved to Cambridge, England, for a few months, during which time Ernest Rutherford pointedly refused to shake hands with him (Haber), due to his involvement in poison gas warfare."

god damn rutherford was awesome

L|ama on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    celandine wrote: »
    I did a bunch of work on differential equations on fractals. All the mathematicians in the area insisted that it was pure pure pure and had no applications.

Turns out there's a secretive military contractor company building our fractals as antennae, exploiting them for the wave-propagation properties we discovered.

All is number, ladies and gents.

I really dislike military funding of research, it just means it's going to be steered the wrong way and the best stuff is going to be kept secret

it's probably better than no funding, but I'm not sure
    Looking at my probable stipends for next year has made me realize that I would gladly kill lots of people (indirectly) for moola.

But my point was that math doesn't just go from real world -> abstract. Sometimes a wholly abstract object turns out to have practical applications.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember reading about fractal antenna. Pretty neat stuff.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    tossrock which is your favourite quantifier

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Let F be the set of all forums
    Let T be the set of all threads
    Let P be the set of all posts
    Define FOR(t) as the function mapping a thread t to its parent forum
    Define CON(t,p) as the function mapping a thread t to the set of strings comprising its post numbered p

∀ f ∈ F, A t ∈ T FOR(t)=f, ∃ p ∈ P, lim (|t| → ∞) CON(t,p) ⊇ {"Nazis","Hitler"}

Darric on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2010
    so currently i am trying to work my way through tarski's definition of semantical truth and the undefinability theorem

it's a lot easier than godel's proofs

but it still makes my head hurt :(

bongi on