As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Babel

SamSam Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I did a search and couldn't find a dedicated thread or any discussion further than OLOL CRASH REDUX.

I was transfixed the entire time, and came away more affected than I've been by a film for a long, long time. I liked Crash, but don't think it was anywhere near as good.

Anyway what I really wanted to discuss was Chieko's letter.

[spoiler:b8dc026479]My mother said that Chieko's dad is in an incestuous relationship with her, judging by the way he reacts to seeing her naked- unsurprised, doesn't make a move to cover her (The cop gave her his jacket) holds her hand and then hugs her unconcerned about her nakedness almost like a lover as well as a parent) I think that's what the she put in her note, too. This reading strengthens the film as a whole, and without it her character isn't even believable- losing a parent and social alienation is far from uncommon at that age, and it doesn't affect people to that extent. [/spoiler:b8dc026479]

Sam on

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I did a search and couldn't find a dedicated thread or any discussion further than OLOL CRASH REDUX.

I was transfixed the entire time, and came away more affected than I've been by a film for a long, long time. I liked Crash, but don't think it was anywhere near as good.

[spoiler:2a73fd8173]My mother said that Chieko's dad is in an incestuous relationship with her, judging by the way he reacts to seeing her naked- unsurprised, doesn't make a move to cover her (The cop gave her his jacket) holds her hand and then hugs her unconcerned about her nakedness almost like a lover as well as a parent) I think that's what the she put in her note, too. This reading strengthens the film as a whole, and without it her character isn't even believable- losing a parent and social alienation is far from uncommon at that age, and it doesn't affect people to that extent. [/spoiler:2a73fd8173]

Hrm. I liked the film a lot, but I found the time-shifting element sort of ... pointless? Uh. I mean, it came across like the three stories had been told in the non-chronological way so as to shove the climaxes of all three stories together at the end of the film. I didn't quite understand why this was done, unless that WAS the reason.

I loved the scene in the club. Fascinating stuff.

I came away and didn't think about it too much more, but your spoilertext is an interesting reading. I read it as a father who was used to his crazy daughter acting like a hormonal fool but loving her all the same. Heh.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I actually didn't like the movie at all. Aside from the cinematography, the entire film was very flat. The characters, aside from Chieko, were almost impossible to care about. They were never developed through the movie. It was more like watching Faces of Death and going "wow, that's pretty messed up" than watching a movie about a connected sequence of events that affect several people around the globe.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:e97a462783]My mother said that Chieko's dad is in an incestuous relationship with her, judging by the way he reacts to seeing her naked- unsurprised, doesn't make a move to cover her (The cop gave her his jacket) holds her hand and then hugs her unconcerned about her nakedness almost like a lover as well as a parent) I think that's what the she put in her note, too. This reading strengthens the film as a whole, and without it her character isn't even believable- losing a parent and social alienation is far from uncommon at that age, and it doesn't affect people to that extent. [/spoiler:e97a462783]

Hrm. I liked the film a lot, but I found the time-shifting element sort of ... pointless? Uh. I mean, it came across like the three stories had been told in the non-chronological way so as to shove the climaxes of all three stories together at the end of the film. I didn't quite understand why this was done, unless that WAS the reason.

This is exactly how I felt about his last movie 21 grams. the entire "disjointed" narrative felt pretty much useless and annoying. His first movie's format where he tells three seperate intersecting stoires in different sections worked much better

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:ffded04101]My mother said that Chieko's dad is in an incestuous relationship with her, judging by the way he reacts to seeing her naked- unsurprised, doesn't make a move to cover her (The cop gave her his jacket) holds her hand and then hugs her unconcerned about her nakedness almost like a lover as well as a parent) I think that's what the she put in her note, too. This reading strengthens the film as a whole, and without it her character isn't even believable- losing a parent and social alienation is far from uncommon at that age, and it doesn't affect people to that extent. [/spoiler:ffded04101]

This is exactly how I felt about his last movie 21 grams. the entire "disjointed" narrative felt pretty much useless and annoying. His first movie's format where he tells three seperate intersecting stoires in different sections worked much better

The pacing of the movie would be ruined if the stories were told in chronological order. The entire border crossing ordeal occurs after the end of Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette's story, while the story of the shepherd kids begins before and ends after (although the final denouement for the American story happens after that and we're informed indirectly). The Japanese portion occurs after the end of the Morroccan kids, and concludes at the same time of the American denouement.

It isn't hard to tell what happens when, there are cues- the TV news in Japan. And like I said, the pacing would be ruined and the stories would spoil each other.

Sam on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:14ebeabff0]My mother said that Chieko's dad is in an incestuous relationship with her, judging by the way he reacts to seeing her naked- unsurprised, doesn't make a move to cover her (The cop gave her his jacket) holds her hand and then hugs her unconcerned about her nakedness almost like a lover as well as a parent) I think that's what the she put in her note, too. This reading strengthens the film as a whole, and without it her character isn't even believable- losing a parent and social alienation is far from uncommon at that age, and it doesn't affect people to that extent. [/spoiler:14ebeabff0]

What i want to know is how your mother knew that :winky:

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:be911ac202]My mother said that Chieko's dad is in an incestuous relationship with her, judging by the way he reacts to seeing her naked- unsurprised, doesn't make a move to cover her (The cop gave her his jacket) holds her hand and then hugs her unconcerned about her nakedness almost like a lover as well as a parent) I think that's what the she put in her note, too. This reading strengthens the film as a whole, and without it her character isn't even believable- losing a parent and social alienation is far from uncommon at that age, and it doesn't affect people to that extent. [/spoiler:be911ac202]
    Uh, while I'm not necessarily disagreeing, don't you think

[spoiler:be911ac202]being a deaf-mute[/spoiler:be911ac202]

would have a lot to do with her issues?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I saw it I leaned over to the girl I was with and said "nothing good is going to happen in this movie is it?". The movie was well acted and well made and had some interesting part but I still didn't like it. I think my problem was that so many bad things happened in that movie that it just became a joke after a while. I think I ended up getting bored early on because it was just so obvious what was happening. So I don't think it was a bad movie but I wouldnt watch it again.

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality