As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend] Chill "Science" Puzzle Games

JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
Lately I have been stuck on what I have come to call the "Chill Science Puzzle" genre. Games like Art Style: Orbient for the Wii and Osmos for the PC have been able to fill the perfectly "Chill Science Puzzle" game sized hole in my heart for now but I'm starting to feel the need for something new.

Therefore, I invoke thee oh paennies urcayde doodz bring forth your suggestions for the "Chill Science Puzzle" genre!

Whats that?

You've never had the pleasure of sampling the delights of "Chill Science Action\Puzzle" games?!?! boo on you silly goose!

However, there is hope... I have assembled a quick overview of these games just for you!
Art Style: Orbient
Platform: WiiWare
art_style_orbient_splash.jpg
The first game in Nintendo's "Art Style" series of WiiWare games, Orbient is a remake of the similarly dubbed Japan only Game Boy Advance release, Orbital.

Orbient uses the simple mechanic of utilizing Gravity and Anti-Gravity to guide a rogue white star through outer space avoiding black holes and collisions with red stars. As a rogue star you're goal is to absorb blue stars and grow large enough to cause the target yellow star to orbit you as a satellite, along the way you may also pick up a few grey star satellites and maybe even a moon. Overall it is a great value given the low cost(600 points) and 50 stages spanning multiple galaxies.

Video:
Osmos
Platform(s): PC (Direct Download & Steam)
osmos-game-ambient.png

Osmos is the debut game for indie game studio Hemisphere Games and is fairly popular among the PA steam community.

In Osmos you control a single-celled organism known as a "mote". You move your mote around "inner space" by ejecting mass and you gain mass by absorbing other organisms.

The primary goal for your mote is to be the alpha organism, the majority of levels are based on either becoming the largest mote or absorbing all of the other motes. Osmos features a time control mechanic, allowing you to speed up or slow down the passage of time in order to either save a few seconds when making a long slow glide or giving you time to make calm calculated decisions.

There are three main level paths, Ambient which is the most tame, consisting of becoming the biggest with mostly inactive and slow moving motes. Sentient levels are primarily focused on becoming the alpha predator, most motes are quick moving, semi intelligent predators goals are primarily based on absorbing other intelligent motes. In the Force level branch your mote is faced with new motes called Attractors which affect other Attractors and motes in a way that is similar to gravity. Gravitational orbit plays a big role in Force levels, fear not though... you can toggle an orbital path projector to help visualize your trajectory.

Video:

There you have it. I have been dying for some more of this kind of "puzzle" game, I hope someone on here has some info.

I got a fevuh... and the only prescription... is more Chill Science Puzzle games.

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
JamesDM on

• Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Would fl0w fit into this category? What defines a chill science puzzle game?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    World of Goo? Physics and balls. Can't beat that.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!