As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: If this were your job, you'd be a very rich man.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is similar to how they started out 2142. Medics could throw down health packs, but had to unlock defibs.

For some reason, like others here I had all these unlocked from the start, no idea why. Not that I'm complaining mind you...I doubt I could have gotten to rank 12 yesterday without them :rotate:

Can't wait to get home and try all those new toys I unlocked yesterday (Rex and AT4 woooo!)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't get why some people don't have them unlocked right away? I do. Is it a bug or is there some difference between me and those who aren't getting them? The first time I played I had access to several different gun and gadget choices and then when I was having trouble connecting to EA's server and I was being kicked everything except for a few weapons were unlocked. So I thought it was a bug.

Thinking it might be a bug. I have nothing where my defib should go, and the medkit slot alternates between a RPG (with a skull icon) and a 40mm GL (with a skull icon).

It's really obnoxious, though. It's not like the PKM is such a fearsome, all-purpose weapon that the class is complete without the medkit and defib.

Yea I had that happen too, a few times, even later when I was rank 4 or so, it erased all my unlocks and I saw that skull icon. I restarted the game and joined a different server and everything came back. It's some kind of intermittent bug, it seems.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    Is the barrett 50 cal a one shot kill in normal mode?
    Nope! And it's not as accurate. It doesn't even go through drywall, it just makes a really loud (and cool) noise.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mete wrote: »
    So um, is the official EU release date the 4th or the 5th? Wikipedia and an ad in the official webpage say it's the 5th while the time counter, my local game store and some sites say it's tomorrow.

It's Friday, although they might be opening at midnight or something and count it as the 4th or whatever.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    Nope! And it's not as accurate. It doesn't even go through drywall, it just makes a really loud (and cool) noise.
    What effect does magnum ammo perk have on the m24 or the .50?

Hoz on
  • Options
    BrimfieldBrimfield Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nonplussed wrote: »
    I had all my class widgets unlocked from the start. I'm supposing it might be because I played the demo? Pretty sure it's not a VIP thing since I don't have one, yet (I did the keep it option on gamefly and it's in the mail).

I don't think so because I played the demo and my gears locked. And I think I read something about demos not being allowed to write data to the harddrive. But yet I have all of the dog tags from the demo. (maybe that is handled by EA?)

Wouldn't be so bad if there was some sort of pattern to this.

Brimfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    xbl: brimfields
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so why is it that this thread has jumped about 15 pages since I went to bed at like 4am but no one is playing. . .

I demand you remedy this ASAP.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I suppose I can hop on a server.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    What effect does magnum ammo perk have on the m24 or the .50?

Makes the 7-11 clerk give you a disbelieving face at the check out counter.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xeno idXeno id Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so why is it that this thread has jumped about 15 pages since I went to bed at like 4am but no one is playing. . .

I demand you remedy this ASAP.

At work =(

Played my ass off last night though. I even got over 25 medals in one game!

It does make me sad however that they erased all my medals from the demo. I had every possible medal you could get for it. I'll be playing all night tonight and am always looking for more people to join me and my squad of regulars (we kick ass). Hit me up on Live!

Also, anyone else having spotting trouble? It's like some of my enemies are immune to my spotting. This is getting my squad mates killed quite a bit. Any recommendations?

GT: Tetra Cleric

Yes, from Equilibrium.

equilibrium2.jpg

Xeno id on
    f52ff.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, even though I live in Columbus Ohio the ping was very serviceable on the WC server. Good games by all.

This game is amazing.

I know this was awhile ago in thread history, but this is good news. Also in the same area.
    Just waiting on the new graphics card I suppose. Although reading this thread I'm tempted to suffer and try to play some tonight anyhow. I turned everything as low as I could and still maintain a widescreen resolution and I was still getting very low FPS in the single player.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Yes, even though I live in Columbus Ohio the ping was very serviceable on the WC server. Good games by all.

This game is amazing.

I know this was awhile ago in thread history, but this is good news. Also in the same area.
    Just waiting on the new graphics card I suppose. Although reading this thread I'm tempted to suffer and try to play some tonight anyhow. I turned everything as low as I could and still maintain a widescreen resolution and I was still getting very low FPS in the single player.

I'm in Columbus as well, I had pretty decent pings to it for the most part (90-120). Except for one time when I think Goomba asked wtf was up with the ping times and mine were in the 2k range... I didn't try to get back on WC after that because I wasn't on the PA team and was pretty much getting owned... Lost my first like 7 games in a row on that server. Eff that.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I gave the Angry Dome server a shot and the ping was 70-ish even though I'm on the West Coast. Both servers should be very playable for anyone in the USA.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know people are able to use the server browser and Play Now button to find games, but the damn thing for me won't work at all. I was only able to join a game by connecting to Twisted Jester in my friends list.

And apparently it takes forever to get a promotion because none of the several games I've played have counted toward my rank at all. I'm still showing zero points accumulated.

I'm still loving the Garand, though, and when the game works it's really fun! :P

It's also fun ambushing a sniper nest of three people with just my knife.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have Vet rank 3, put in my unlock code, and played Beta on PC and 360. My Defibs and what not were all unlocked (and I got my WWII, etc, weapons). It was kind of weird because when I hit Medic Lvl 2 or 3, forgot which, it gave me Defibs again... ;O

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I gave the Angry Dome server a shot and the ping was 70-ish even though I'm on the West Coast. Both servers should be very playable for anyone in the USA.

Word.

West Coast server ran flawlessly from Jersey.

until EA caught fire that is.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bombboy wrote: »
    I have Vet rank 3, put in my unlock code, and played Beta on PC and 360. My Defibs and what not were all unlocked (and I got my WWII, etc, weapons). It was kind of weird because when I hit Medic Lvl 2 or 3, forgot which, it gave me Defibs again... ;O

I'm Veteran Rank 6, played both the beta and the demo, too, put in both the limited edition code and the Gamestop pre-order code, and I also have my defibrillator and med kits unlocked.

Speaking of pings, this game seems to have fantastic net code. I love how some servers show a ping as 15 for me, and they're a few states over. It's too bad the server browser is fucked for me, though, as I can't add those to my favorites yet (or even see any servers at the moment).

Dashui on
  • Options
    MeteMete Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait, the console versions use hosts, right?

Mete on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anybody know if either of the PA servers have been updated to the R4 server that fixes the kicking problem yet?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really don't get it. Maybe I missed something but why is Bad Company still doing stuff for the us military?

Didn't they sneak away with a giant ass truck of nazi gold in the last game? There absolutely no mention of said massive amounts of gold and how they all went awol after they got the gold.
    It's not actually explained. Rather annoying.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bombboy wrote: »

Pretty sure it's just a bug. Everyone is supposed to have the first two unlocks, but it's just not there for some people. I wouldn't sweat it too too much, though. The first couple ranks come pretty quickly. Think of yourself as lucky that you get prizes for your first few levels of each class, while people who had day 1 unlocks get nothing new for two class levels.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mete wrote: »
    Wait, the console versions use hosts, right?

Nope. Servers for both the Console and PC versions.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wanna play this!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Stupid work! Tonight I hope to be shooting some of you in the head! :)

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »
    strategery wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    strategery wrote: »
    I'm still in shock about the sound too. I'm so tired of people who think Call of Duty is the pinnacle of shooter sound design. It does not, nor has it ever, sounded anything like reality. The weapon sound effects are so hollywood-ized it's painful. That's not to say BC2 is bang on either, but it's so much closer than anything else out there that it really is embarrassing to every other shooter dev out there.

Well I'm guessing most people who play these games aren't exactly the gun fanatic you are :lol: I do also wonder if they feel the need to not really mess with the sound in CoD/MW2 for the simple fact that people play those games so fanatically that the sound is a big way in how they play the game. Change how some things sounds, and you'll have a big fanboy retard rodeo on your hands.

See the real question though is why would they not want to include sound design similar to the BC games in any shooter? I honestly have an easier time pinpointing enemy locations in BC2 just off of sound than I do any other shooter. The problem I've always had with MW2 and most other shooters is that, at range, it can be very difficult to pinpoint enemy locations because guns sound the same with only minimal location effects to tell you front, rear, left, or right. There's no delay in sound for long distance shooting or anything like that. It's just a sound that comes from a different side.

Whereas in BC2 going off of the snap of the bullet and the direction the crack of the gun came from you can actually figure out distance and direction very quickly. Just as you would in reality. Long range shots especially. You hear the bullet snap past you, then hear the crack of the rifle. It's perfect how they modeled it, and frankly is absolutely insane that nobody has attempted to copy these effects. Even if they wanted to keep their own weapon sound effects, use some of the other stuff. Because it's fucking brilliant.

And when you see all the people who rave about how good BC's sound is, even people who don't like the game will tell you it sounds incredible, why wouldn't you want to do that? In my opinion the BC games are the first, and only, games to truly embody HD next-gen sound effects. Everything else sounds like it did back on the PS2 or OX-box.

Ya know, I played almost all online last night, and I tend to have the sound turned way down when online so I can hear my team on the headset, so I really missed a lot of this when playing. I'll definitely have to turn things up a bit this evening so I can get the full effect of the apparently awesome sound design.

Oh yeah, and let me know when you're on. I don't think we've Bauer'd it up since the GRAW 2 days.

For sure dude. I've been enjoying the single player since I bought it yesterday. Have this odd habit of trying to clear the SP before venturing into the MP. Might break it though because I love the MP in this game so much.

Now that I got my 1911 too I'm totally bauer'in it up.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm going to prefer Rush mode a lot more than Conquest. Conquest just feels like such a clusterfuck compared to Rush, with guys running around playing musical flags, never really defending.

And is it me, or is there no ticket bleed at all for controlling the majority of the flags? I've had rounds where my team has had 2/3 flags for at least 90% of the match and we still end up losing.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm going to prefer Rush mode a lot more than Conquest. Conquest just feels like such a clusterfuck compared to Rush, with guys running around playing musical flags, never really defending.

And is it me, or is there no ticket bleed at all for controlling the majority of the flags? I've had rounds where my team has had 2/3 flags for at least 90% of the match and we still end up losing.

There definitely is a ticket bleed (360) in conquest. I was on a somewhat passive team, playing a 3 flag map. We had 30-10 tickets when we lost the majority. Instead of getting aggressive and taking it back, the team turtled up and tried to get there by kills alone.

We got lucky, we won 1-0. Tickets were coming off quite steady for not holding majority, Helluva game though :)

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like Rush because its like its like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but without side objectives or Spy (giving recon the ability to disguise as the enemy team would be epic, and encourage Recons not to just sit back and snipe things.), and with vehicles.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Did they make any changes to MCOMs in the retail rush mode, ie. make them armable only rather than being able to blow them up with C4?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Did they make any changes to MCOMs in the retail rush mode, ie. make them armable only rather than being able to blow them up with C4?

That would be silly. No, you can still damage them with vehicles and explosives, but they doubled the amount of damage it takes to destroy them.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well thats not too bad then.

Also hurry the fuck up Friday.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think they made it where it takes over 15 C4 charges to take it down for retail. Haven't gotten to test it because of...well...the server issues, but that's what a dev said before launch.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

That would be silly. No, you can still damage them with vehicles and explosives, but they doubled the amount of damage it takes to destroy them.

Don't forget the Destruction 2.0 method.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there an audio cue when you get tagged?

Does the single player explain all the audio cues? Besides the "oh god bullets coming at me" sound and the foghorn of "conquest ending in 10 mins" I don't know what the alerts are half the time.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

They also made is so that the explosives upgrade (the one that lets you carry six C4 instead of three) unlocks at level 24, so it shouldn't be a huge problem right now.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

Does the single player explain all the audio cues? Besides the "oh god bullets coming at me" sound and the foghorn of "conquest ending in 10 mins" I don't know what the alerts are half the time.

Not so sure about tagging.

There is a beep, however, when a motion detector in the area senses someone. It's three rapid pings after another. Like "Dee-Dee-Deet" or something like that.

There's also a "Tick" in Conquest when seizing a flag. Any slowdown of that sound means an enemy is within the capture radius and is slowing it down.

Beyond that...not sure. Haven't picked up any others yet.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    aww and we were doing so well too. I really need to remember to friend people while I'm playing the game. Good team up Kendrick.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yeah I've noticed this too. Played in a pub game where all the flags were owned by one team and the only perceivable bonus was that you could spawn on them.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

They also made is so that the explosives upgrade (the one that lets you carry six C4 instead of three) unlocks at level 24, so it shouldn't be a huge problem right now.

I'm hoping it's something they deal with in the interim.

The jihad quads were getting really abusive towards the end of beta. You'd lose an entire phase of the map in 5-10 seconds with no opportunity at all to defend.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

Don't think so, but I wish there was. I'd make it a sound byte akin to "shit I think they saw me!" or something.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was fun! My team won a couple of times after we lost. Playing a medic is fun, all revivin' hoes and what not. Getting revived is also really cool! Spotting also makes me feel like I'm doing something even if I die after I spot.

The server crashed and no one came back so I hopped in a tank and blew up two m-comms with an empty server. TAKE THAT.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.