Options

[WoW] A Hard Day's Work: The Profession Thread

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dkarrde wrote:
    How exactly are you killing level 69-70 undead at level 60?

I'm guessing it involves just sheerly overmatching them with five people or something, but it still seems like they'll whack you silly.

Warrior smacks it with his sword while I heal him and continually get aggro while we take crushing blows etc. etc. It takes forever, and at the time I did it wasn't worth it because they were dropping lvl 60 loot. All you have to overcome is the crushing blows, tons of misses and glancing hits, and it's really not hard vs. a non-elite mob.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's not that hard to kill them with 2 or 3 people.

I'm a Prot Warrior. I just sit there in Defensive Stance spamming Sunders until you get 2 or 3 and then Shield Block your ass off.

Only requires a heal once in awhile. Since they hit for about 200. 50 or so damage gets through my blocks though, thats kinda junk. Since all the hits against me are Crushing and all the hits to the 70 Undead are Glancing.

But its doable.

Not really worth it unless you want the Netherweave though, since they don't drop anything else of value.

Zhou on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Yawn. Farmed 2k Furry rep, got to neutral. I'll do some more this weekend until I can get the Netherweave pattern.

And that net is tailoring only. Oh, the amount of crying from non-tailors I predict on forums...

Echo on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've never been big on any of the tradeskills. I just never saw anything that was a must have. The amount of ingredients needed to make certain things that seemed subpar compared to the cost of ingredients themselves always seemed to happen more often then not. I'm planning to start up a druid a month or two after BC, and I can't decide what to take for tradeskills. I was tempted to go with a Jewelecrafter but I can't see how useful alot of the actual items would be.

What would be some good crafting combos for a Druid, and could you highlight some of the items that make it worth it?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have done tailoring/enchanting TWICE both to 300
    allthough my warlock is far better at it then my mage
    {my walrock is missing +4 stats +5 weapon damage and +22 int and I then know them all}
    I was curious are there any new Alch patterns to learn from a trainer I am too lazy to fly to feathermoon to find out

I am having a pain in the ass time with blacksmithing I have been stuck at 265 looking for a better pattern { they are all green to black for him so crafting spurs is not working}

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Man. Why is Frost the redheaded step-child of tailoring?

The specializations for tailoring are Spellfire, Shadoweave and Primal Mooncloth. Spellfire is magey, Shadoweave is shadow stuff, Primal Mooncloth is priesty healing stuff.

the unique BOP Spellfire items have +damage to arcane and fire, plus spell crit.

Shadoweave gets the shadow and frost, and more stamina.

I'm a mage and was thinking about going Spellfire, but since I'm 51 points Frost I'm reconsidering. :|

Then again, how long would I use the specialization-specific items anyway?

Echo on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:

The specializations for tailoring are Spellfire, Shadoweave and Primal Mooncloth. Spellfire is magey, Shadoweave is shadow stuff, Primal Mooncloth is priesty healing stuff.

the unique BOP Spellfire items have +damage to arcane and fire, plus spell crit.

I'm a mage and was thinking about going Spellfire, but since I'm 51 points Frost I'm reconsidering. :|

You can always respecialize without unlearning your profession. I know on my Priest Ill be going to be switching back and forth between gobby and gnome alot.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Golem wrote:
    You can always respecialize without unlearning your profession.

The items are still "Requires Spellfire Tailoring" etc. So then I'd never be able to switch gear if I respec.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Golem wrote:
    You can always respecialize without unlearning your profession.

The items are still "Requires Spellfire Tailoring" etc. So then I'd never be able to switch gear if I respec.

Well when you respec you would respecialize in that profession. Its just a suggestion but thats what I would do.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    These are the spec-specific tailoring sets:

Wrath of Spellfire
    Primal Mooncloth
    Shadow's Embrace

Echo on
  • Options
    BernardBernard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Golem wrote:
    Echo wrote:

You can always respecialize without unlearning your profession. I know on my Priest Ill be going to be switching back and forth between gobby and gnome alot.

But that would entail spending 50G plus the respec cost for him to switch to spellfire/fire just to use his gear and 50G to switch back if he wants frost/shadoweave. I think all the elements should be on spellfire while shadow is for warlocks and shadow priests and thus should have some +fire as well for the locks. The Mooncloth is for priests and maybe druids/paladins and should be a healing set that gives pvp utility with some +damage/healing or reductions to cooldowns or increases in viability of pvp survival skills (fear, shield, inner fire, etc.)

Bernard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    These are the spec-specific tailoring sets:

Wrath of Spellfire
    Primal Mooncloth
    Shadow's Embrace

Sorry all wow related sites are blocked from work and school for me. But ya Im just saying I have no Idea what they are like. But for example I would switch between Goblin and Gnomish engineering for what Items would be the most benificial to me at that point in time.

And money wont really be a big deal in the xpac. Roughly figured at 70 you get about 8g per quest. So if you went to shadowmoon valley and did all the quests after max lv thats 800g not counting the money from mobs and items that drop while doing the quests.

Golem on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm still trying to decide what leather items I will DE for materials instead of the Headband now.

I'm thinking this might be it. Depending on the prices for leather at launch.

http://www.thottbot.com/beta?i=6319

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    kk, rundown of the sets:

Spellfire

3 items: chest, gloves, belt.
    Total stats:
    389 armor
    42 int
    69 spell crit rating
    +172 arcane damage
    +172 fire damage

3 piece bonus: Increases spell damage by up to 7% of your total Intellect.

Shadoweave

3 items: chest, shoulders, boots.
    Total stats:
    433 armor
    66 stam
    44 int
    +179 frost damage
    +179 shadow damage

3 piece bonus: 3 Your Frost and Shadow damage spells heal you for 2% of the damage they deal.

Primal Mooncloth

3 items: chest, shoulders, belt
    Total stats:
    411 armor
    40 int
    38 spirit
    22 mana/5
    +275 healing

3 piece bonus: Allow 5% of your Mana regeneration to continue while casting.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh, just discovered another set: Spellstrike Infusion. Doesn't require specialization.

Spellstrike

2 items: head, pants
    Total stats:
    294 armor
    50 spell hit rating
    52 spell crit rating
    +75 damage/healing

2 piece bonus: Gives a chance when your harmful spells land to increase the damage of your spells and effects by 92 for 10 sec.

...so combine that with Spellfire and we get...

Spellfirestrikezomg

5 items: head, pants. chest, gloves, belt

683 armor
    50 spell hit rating
    121 spell crit rating
    +247 fire damage
    +247 arcane damage
    +75 damage/healing to non-fire/arcane

Gives a chance when your harmful spells land to increase the damage of your spells and effects by 92 for 10 sec.
    Increases spell damage by up to 7% of your total Intellect.

Echo on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm at enchanting 292 right now. And I've been three manning instances for drops. Not out of will, but because I can only find 2 guildies at any given time who aren't "olol hwl guys". If I wasn't such a cheap fucker I'd of bought the 80g worth of illusion dust I need already.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So last night farming Tyr's hand I got myself a http://www.thottbott.com/?i=27017 Flask of Petrification Recipe. I'm an alchemist, but I decided to check the AH and they seem to be going for around 100 gold.

In the end I said "screw it" and just learned it, but after reading the tooltip, it kind of makes no sense to me.

Can someone explain the usefulness of this potion? It makes you invulnerable but also unable to do anything. I just can't think of a situation where that would help you at all. Plus, it's expensive as hell to make, I've never even seen a Black Lotus.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wavechaser wrote:
    So last night farming Tyr's hand I got myself a http://www.thottbott.com/?i=27017 Flask of Petrification Recipe. I'm an alchemist, but I decided to check the AH and they seem to be going for around 100 gold.

In the end I said "screw it" and just learned it, but after reading the tooltip, it kind of makes no sense to me.

Can someone explain the usefulness of this potion? It makes you invulnerable but also unable to do anything. I just can't think of a situation where that would help you at all. Plus, it's expensive as hell to make, I've never even seen a Black Lotus.

Black Lotus are easier now that they aren't BoP I remember sitting on them for herbalists from the guild. This is basically a potion version of Ice Block. I am pretty sure it would cure all DoTs and aggro wipe but I havent used it.

Bernard on
  • Options
    blackpantherblackpanther Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    2 hunters (me being one of em) and a druid were killing the level 69 mobs around karazhan the other day. Hunters get no glancing blows for ranged but the miss rate is high as hell.

Not too much of a problem since i have a full set of gear just for +hit to give me +12% chance to hit but even with that it wasnt easy.

So we just bounced the mob back and forth between us hunters as much as we could.

blackpanther on
    Aimed Shot
    A Hunter's point of view of World of Warcraft
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo, Frost/Shadow and Arcane/Fire are paired like that quite often. The AQ40 anubisaths can have reflection of one of the two groups, for example. It's just their way of tying mages and warlocks together.

captaink on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wavechaser wrote:

It's not useful. That's about the long and short of it.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:

I'm not too worried about staying frost specced as I'm sure there will be plenty of +dmg cloth in general available. If there isn't I will take my ball to the Blizzard forums and scream like a five year denied his sweet, sweet candy.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Blacksmithing itemization for Paladins is still pretty lacking, armorsmithing in particular.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    wanaflapwanaflap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just pray that there isn't any Thorium Brotherhood recipes. Sooo expensive.

Am looking forward to all the new alch. recipes. I treat it as a mini-game to know all the recipes. The day I got my last flask recipe was a good day, followed by me running lowbies through WC.

wanaflap on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd like to see skinning used for something other than just, well, skinning.

The ability to combine leathers (currently something only leatherworkers can do) would be nice.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Currently we can combine scraps of leather into light leather, light into medium, etc etc all the way to rugged.

The new leather from BC is knothide and it is not possible, afaik, to combine rugged into knothide.

I think they just started the "chain" again and made knothide scraps, scraps to leather, and then the following..

i dunno much about it since i didnt have skinning while leveling.

one thing i do know, ill be saving mats for riding crops. Those babies are gonna be selling like hotcakes.

blackpanther on
    Aimed Shot
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Currently we can combine scraps of leather into light leather, light into medium, etc etc all the way to rugged.

The new leather from BC is knothide and it is not possible, afaik, to combine rugged into knothide.

I think they just started the "chain" again and made knothide scraps, scraps to leather, and then the following..

one thing i do know, ill be saving mats for riding crops. Those babies are gonna be selling like hotcakes.

I think what he meant was he wants skinners to be able to combine not just LWs. I was a skinning tailor at first and scraps pissed me off soo much when I got them because I couldnt combine them to light.

Bernard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ooooh ok

yeah it does kinda suck. I mean miners get mining and smelting... but that makes sense, else theyd have to put smelting in blacksmithing AND engineering... and now jewelcrafting

Leather isnt used THAT much in tailoring is it?

blackpanther on
    Aimed Shot
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bernard wrote:

I think what he meant was he wants skinners to be able to combine not just LWs. I was a skinning tailor at first and scraps pissed me off soo much when I got them because I couldnt combine them to light.

And they don't sell for all that much either.

I keep checking the AH with my Leatherworkers and will buy a stack of scraps for less then 5 silver if I can. Anything more then that and someone else can have them.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ooooh ok

yeah it does kinda suck. I mean miners get mining and smelting... but that makes sense, else theyd have to put smelting in blacksmithing AND engineering... and now jewelcrafting

No, but it's nice to be able to combine your own stuff to sell rather than trying to track down a leatherworker.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ooooh ok

It is more that I took skinning to earn money and it is used quite alot for bags and boots in tailoring. But if you are farming low levels for light leather you get alot of wasted scraps that fill up your bags and don't sell for enough without being combined to be worth even keeping. It would be nice if they could combine it. It would also be nice if they gave herbalists a skill to "grow herbs" where every so many days they could open a pouch (like the one for the horde quest) and get their herb out but allow them to choose which one and only the amount be random. Black lotus on a 4-5 day cooldown would help alot but not totally hurt the economy for them or their potions.

Bernard on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    you're talking about thousands of additional lotuses in the econ, it'd be overloaded in 2 months ;o i like the idea for dreamfoil/groms etc though, some sort of WindowBox container in a bank slots ;p

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bernard wrote:
    It would also be nice if they gave herbalists a skill to "grow herbs" where every so many days they could open a pouch (like the one for the horde quest) and get their herb out but allow them to choose which one and only the amount be random. Black lotus on a 4-5 day cooldown would help alot but not totally hurt the economy for them or their potions.

Memories of FFXI's planting system now come to mind. I never got what I wanted from the plants but damn was it fun to grow them :D.

SabinXL on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    you're talking about thousands of additional lotuses in the econ, it'd be overloaded in 2 months ;o i like the idea for dreamfoil/groms etc though, some sort of WindowBox container in a bank slots ;p

Make it so you have to find the "seeds" for it to be able to do it (basically the recipe for it). Also if you think 4 days is too short then make it 6-7 but with people also wanting to make dreamfoil from the same box they might avoid the lotus. And really lotus will be useless at 70 probably as new flasks and things should be out.

Bernard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    i have a toon all set to crank out to 300 jewelcrafting on day 1 ;) im wondering how marketable the stuff you make as you level will be... will it be a total loss to skillup or is there potential profit there? ^^

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bernard wrote:
    Make it so you have to find the "seeds" for it to be able to do it (basically the recipe for it). Also if you think 4 days is too short then make it 6-7 but with people also wanting to make dreamfoil from the same box they might avoid the lotus.

Same general issue, because of people making alts. Mooncloth is not terribly dissimilar, but what it made was always vastly less desired.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    HazzelhoffHazzelhoff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    can anyone list/explain a few of the cool engineering stuff in BC?

Hazzelhoff on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rocket Launcher trink with like 40 stam is a popular topic ^^

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=9.3

they're mixed in with existing ones, but you can see a bunch here.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Septus wrote:
    Bernard wrote:
    Make it so you have to find the "seeds" for it to be able to do it (basically the recipe for it). Also if you think 4 days is too short then make it 6-7 but with people also wanting to make dreamfoil from the same box they might avoid the lotus.

Same general issue, because of people making alts. Mooncloth is not terribly dissimilar, but what it made was always vastly less desired.

But the mooncloth pattern was vender sold. If you make certain recipes bop drops (even if they world drop or are common in instances) it will keep alts from being able to do it. Mooncloth's biggest problem was that the stuff was good for a short period of time yet mooncloth too so long to make that it was easier to just level instead which lead people to have mooncloth alts to try and up the supply. I hate mooncloth alts with a passion because I don't think they should be needed to begin with, it is a broken mechanic to the game.

Bernard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hazzelhoff wrote:
    can anyone list/explain a few of the cool engineering stuff in BC?

http://thottbot.com/beta?t=Engineering

Critter Enlarger:
    http://thottbot.com/beta?sp=30549

Flame turret:
    http://thottbot.com/beta?i=12960

Rock'em Sock'em Robots!
    http://thottbot.com/beta?i=12962

Damn! Nice googles for casters:
    http://thottbot.com/beta?i=11708

Chickens!
    http://thottbot.com/beta?i=10176

Goggles to see cool stuff: