As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ting Question

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
reefer_madness_poster_03.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    weed + sex is pretty awesome, i have to say

MikeMan on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    organichu is three feet from me on my couch

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Damn it I wanted to get this in the last one
    Pony wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Pony I love to learn about others as well. But, in my experience, you don't do that by making snap judgments of strangers on the street. If you really want to know, ask. Otherwise, as I said, it's none of your business.

I don't really consider this to be a liberal thing, more a basic courtesy thing. We have the word 'stranger' for a reason.

i don't really know that we have the capacity not to make snap judgments, and i don't know that trying to dogmatically and universally train the impulse away is especially helpful.

like i have said, i don't accost strangers in the street, even if they are weirdos.

sometimes people surprise me, it's true! i allow for this.

and sometimes they bear out my initial impression.

i guess i don't see why the idea of trying to suppress that initial impression is such a virtuous or deirable or noble goal?

Personally I'd ask the opposite question, what do you gain from forming the initial impression?

you know i don't speak for Will but i thought i covered this sufficiently a bit back

nobody responded so maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

Hmm. I can kind of see that, I suppose. It's not really a thing that I see myself doing, but this may very well be because I've never really "observed" people like that.

Some of this could be a hindrance, I suppose. It is a source of constant frustration to Cesca that I really have no idea what "dressing well" entails. I tied myself in knots when I got a new job a while back because they had an incredibly vaguely defined dress code. In the end I figured it out by getting a pad, and tallying up what people were wearing then buying the majority option.

japan on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some of this could be a hindrance, I suppose. It is a source of constant frustration to Cesca that I really have no idea what "dressing well" entails. I tied myself in knots when I got a new job a while back because they had an incredibly vaguely defined dress code. In the end I figured it out by getting a pad, and tallying up what people were wearing then buying the majority option.

I'm going to ask a question that sounds disparaging but I don't mean it to be. I'm genuinely curious. Do you have Asperger's or another autism spectrum disorder?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The sensation of my daughter's body sliding out of my vagina was orgasmic.

Oh jeez. D:

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    weed + sex is pretty awesome, i have to say

How would you know?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Variable wrote: »

Beware that lazy eye Var. It is where he keeps all his Jew powers.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dunno if I'm really ok with all the pervasive drug content in these [chat] threads. Why can't you guys have a wholesome hobby, like NASCAR or shooting guns?

TL DR on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does he have his gun out?

Thanatos on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Damn it I wanted to get this in the last one
    Pony wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Pony I love to learn about others as well. But, in my experience, you don't do that by making snap judgments of strangers on the street. If you really want to know, ask. Otherwise, as I said, it's none of your business.

I don't really consider this to be a liberal thing, more a basic courtesy thing. We have the word 'stranger' for a reason.

i don't really know that we have the capacity not to make snap judgments, and i don't know that trying to dogmatically and universally train the impulse away is especially helpful.

like i have said, i don't accost strangers in the street, even if they are weirdos.

sometimes people surprise me, it's true! i allow for this.

and sometimes they bear out my initial impression.

i guess i don't see why the idea of trying to suppress that initial impression is such a virtuous or deirable or noble goal?

Personally I'd ask the opposite question, what do you gain from forming the initial impression?

you know i don't speak for Will but i thought i covered this sufficiently a bit back

nobody responded so maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

Hmm. I can kind of see that, I suppose. It's not really a thing that I see myself doing, but this may very well be because I've never really "observed" people like that.

Whereas, I do that sort of observation intuitively and in moments. I understand that most other people aren't necessarily like that, but it is a thing that comes naturally to some and it is certainly a trait many people acquire with age.

The reason why the older a person gets, the more socially conservative and judgmental they tend to become is specifically because as you get older the knowledge and observations of the patterns of behavior of people around you crystallize and become very difficult to dissuade.

Thus far, I think I stand on the right side of being capable of being wrong, but I also know I'm far less patient and tolerant than I was as a youth, so who knows?

Pony on
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought drug chat was Social Entropy's thing.

Ed321 on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, most of the stuff in my download folder is crap and I don't care that I'm losing it. Waste of space.

Sarksus on
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »

I'm going to ask a question that sounds disparaging but I don't mean it to be. I'm genuinely curious. Do you have Asperger's or another autism spectrum disorder?

Not as far as I am aware.

Unrelated: Bread is in the oven. We will know how much I suck at baking in 30-35 minutes.

japan on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    reefer_madness_poster_03.jpg

That reminds me, I watched Reefer Madness the Musical the other night and it was good times.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

he is waving it wildly

Variable on
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

he is waving it wildly

That's not his gun

Ed321 on
    edited March 2010
    were people talking about drugs and I missed it?

Variable on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    The sensation of my daughter's body sliding out of my vagina was orgasmic.

Oh jeez. D:

There's an sf book called The World Inside about a dystopia where there's Brave-New-World-esque free love but instead of magic contraception, they've just fetishized childbirth. Female characters in the book frequently espouse sentiments such as the above.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2010
    Ed321 wrote: »

This is a posters chat.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

There was a recurring drug/alcohol/medicine thread, but Tube inexplicably locked it. Pity, too, since people tended to come in and ask questions about substances they were considering ingesting. Prime opportunity for harm reduction, right tharr.

TL DR on
    edited March 2010
    Reefer Madness is overrated beyond the comment about a small child going insane and killing his family.

Ed321 on
    edited March 2010

There was a recurring drug/alcohol/medicine thread, but Tube inexplicably locked it. Pity, too, since people tended to come in and ask questions about substances they were considering ingesting. Prime opportunity for harm reduction, right tharr.

Inexplicably? I thought it was a pretty clear violation of the "no megathreads" rule.

On top of that, it was a megathread about activities that are generally illegal.

Feral on

edited March 2010

I could see the benefit, but as a mod I'd probably lock it too.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

the problem was people were starting to stray into discussion about acquisition techniques and the like

which start to come across as discussions of where to acquire drugs

even i was starting to go "uhhhh guys" and tube put a cockblock on it

Pony on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why do they keep getting labeled dystopias?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Because they're dissing science.

Bam

Ed321 on
    edited March 2010

Bam

If only there was a way to delete you.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    don't tell him but I licked his keyboard while he was in the shitter

Organichu on
    edited March 2010
    I forgot to dust the top of my bread with flour to get a soft crust.

japan on
    edited March 2010

Because obstensibly they're not happy places to live.

Personally, I don't consider BNW a dystopia, but that's just me.

Feral on

edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Bam

You're just jealous 'cos I'm pre-empting you.

Ed321 on
    edited March 2010

Bam

what?

When did that happen in Brave New World?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomas More's Fruitopia

Elendil on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Bam

There is, tell Chu he is a Palestinian and let him go nuts with his pistol.

And Chu, did it taste like a fine wine?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Because the nuance between utopia, anti-utopia and dystopia isn't a topic that is brought up often and not a lot of people are familiar with it.

Sarksus on
    edited March 2010

Bam

what?

When did that happen in Brave New World?

Isn't that the one with drugs to placate the masses? I mean no way that would ever work...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Topia.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited March 2010
    Tropico

Ed321 on
    edited March 2010
    Like it is a utopia, in the exact same way Utopia is a utopia.

Unless Utopia describes a dystopia then wtf

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    don't tell him but I licked his keyboard while he was in the shitter

oh god I dry heaved a little

japan on
This discussion has been closed.