As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My ass is a quivering mess (Bigman Thread)

1575859606163»

• hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    I eat super clean.

Super fucking clean.

Probably around 2k on the nose these days. I like my portion sizes over the 6 meals as they are. 2k doesn't include a recovery shake and the before bed I am going to start taking. How much should I be looking to expand that range at 5'11 140 now that I am weight training?

I am hesitant about gaining weight faster than I gain technique (and useful muscle mass) and I don't think I can commit to a gallon of whole milk a day

edit: hectorse: does the run have to follow the gym session immediately or can it be a twilight run 8-10 hours later?

You are going to find yourself eating a whole lot more than you were before. Don't be afraid of getting a little bit dirtier now that you are lifting. The path from 140 to 165 is full of dead animals, and not just chickens and fishes. As a new guy, you'll body will gain much more muscle compared to fat. Even the fat you gain you can drop it easily if you cut. Protein shakes are great, but red meat is better, a little bit too great, at recovering

I would rather run immediately after so you can get 2 full rest days. Lifting is going to get super hard after a short-while and you are going to need those resting days. And by super hard I don't mean you are going to feel beat up after the gym session, you will feel tired but not as much as after a HIIT session or after playing some sport, the beat up feeling of lifting is felt on the following days. I guess you could run on the morning after on Saturday, but I am always too beat up after a lift day to do anything, that's why I do my cardio immediately after my lifting, while I am warmed up and still not encumbered with muscle fatigue

hectorse on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2010
    Run if it makes you happy. It's good for you. You might need to eat a bit more to offset the extra calories burned.

Tube on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    So I am ~195 lbs right now (from 287 at my worst in August), and I have no visible gut any more (with the right posture). Furthermore, I was able to wear a pair of pants out of the store yesterday without needing alterations. This has never happened for me.

My fiancé is going to put a bit of muscle mass on me (she is a PT) above and beyond where I am currently at... but I realized I haven't posted in here in ages, and I figured I would share the good news.

I'll never be a bigman, but I can definitely be a lean, slightly muscular dude at the end of the day.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dang syndalis, that's some awesome progress. 'grats

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I try to run at least a mile every time I go to the gym, just to get my heart pumping and get sweating a little bit.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    So I am ~195 lbs right now (from 287 at my worst in August), and I have no visible gut any more (with the right posture). Furthermore, I was able to wear a pair of pants out of the store yesterday without needing alterations. This has never happened for me.

My fiancé is going to put a bit of muscle mass on me (she is a PT) above and beyond where I am currently at... but I realized I haven't posted in here in ages, and I figured I would share the good news.

I'll never be a bigman, but I can definitely be a lean, slightly muscular dude at the end of the day.

Fuck yeah, man.

Congrats.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited April 2010
    I bike to my gym and then to the field and back home.

Cardio is great

hectorse on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you do the post-workout shake after the cardio or after the lift?

also, before bed shakes y/n? ive' also heard cottage cheese/yogurt

Dsmart on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010

Fuck yeah, man.

Congrats.
    So I went from THIS:

3RVj

to this

3RVu

And I did a lot of reading in this thread and stole some solid ideas about macronutrients from you guys to get on the right path. Anyone here looking to cut and find a shape under the mass of fat... the advice in this thread is GOLDEN.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Soccer 2x a week is my cardio at the moment. Was able to run a 5k in just under 30 minutes after little less than a year of 1x a week soccer and no other cardio.

ETA: Holy shit good job syndalis.

King Nada on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    synd, that is good shit

good shit man

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited April 2010
    I drink my postworkout shakes after all is said and done... usually after we finish our field training or I get home. That would be after cardio.

Sometimes I eat a twinky or an apple in between gym and training just to get a little bit more energy to push dudes around, maybe that could help you.

The only problem with before bed shakes is that some people (me included) can't sleep if they eat too much. Shakes have tons of calories so that might keep you awake a little longer than what's convenient. Otherwise there isn't much to the timing on your foods. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much if you eat your protein shake when you wake up, at lunch, before you go to bed or while you are sleep as long as you are taking it.

Cottage and yogurt is great. Ice Cream too, PB too

The only time it matters is after the workout

Fuck yeah, man.

Congrats.
    So I went from THIS:

*amazingness*

And I did a lot of reading in this thread and stole some solid ideas about macronutrients from you guys to get on the right path. Anyone here looking to cut and find a shape under the mass of fat... the advice in this thread is GOLDEN.

Holy fuck, congratulations!

What has your GF said about this? Is she jumping your bones more now?

hectorse on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as running goes, as you go on, it gets a lot harder.

Before I started lifting, I was a pretty serious and consistent runner. Now that I'm squatting three days a week at a decent weight (225), I absolutely cannot run on days in-between lifting. My legs completely give out during squats. I've had to resort to the elliptical, which hurts my runner's soul so.

That also could just be me, though. I've always had longer and harder than usual recoveries to physical stress.

Gork on
    edited April 2010
    KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    syndalis - amazing progress, congrats. Your first pic is like "yeah I'm fat, fuck you" the second pic is like "yeah I'm sexy, fuck you".

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hot dang, syndalis

I imagine you have to fight off the ladies that knew you from before, eh?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Hot dang, syndalis

I imagine you have to fight off the ladies that knew you from before, eh?

There were a couple fun moments before I settled down with the fiancé, yes.

Mostly frustration though, because I went from lard to reasonable in ~5 months, and had no idea how to use the new tools I was given, so I made some silly missteps on the dating side. Had a bit of fun though.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    that's some good work man

congratulations

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited April 2010
    SHOW ME YOUR TORSO

I DEMAND TO SEE YOUR TORSO

Tube on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah i need to see it so i can see that guts truly disappear D:

Meissnerd on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Before this gets locked, major congratulations Syndalis. I've been wondering what happened for you, I remember you were making good progress but that's amazing.

Peen on
    edited April 2010
    SHOW ME YOUR TORSO

I DEMAND TO SEE YOUR TORSO

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seriously show us the goods

I need to know that there is hope for me

Ledneh on
    edited April 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Seriously show us the goods

I need to know that there is hope for me

Geez okie dokie... lemme find some pics for before and after

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited April 2010
    Man, I need to take some progress pics. I keep forgetting to do it.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited April 2010
    Before:

3Sd7
    3Sd9

After
    3Sdq
    3Sdr

I would post nekkid pics of the gut, but it might blind you, I am very pale and very hairy.... eh, fuck it.
    3Sdy

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited April 2010
    and on that note of triumph

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.