As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fan-made King's Quest quashed by Activision!

2»

• Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Waaay more interesting than this are the actual, honest-to-god-released remakes of the first 2 games (and Quest for Glory II). Redrawn from scratch, VGA, fully-voiced, redone with the interface of VI, and in the case of II, completely restructured with new puzzles and plot strands. There's also a more faithful (read: bastard hard) VGA adaptation of III out there, leaving IV as the only one I'd deem utterly unplayable by modern standards.

Link to KQIII?

I believe IV-V-VI are getting the GoG treatment, which will make IV playable.

I always thought IV kind of sucked though.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    apotheos wrote: »
    Waaay more interesting than this are the actual, honest-to-god-released remakes of the first 2 games (and Quest for Glory II). Redrawn from scratch, VGA, fully-voiced, redone with the interface of VI, and in the case of II, completely restructured with new puzzles and plot strands. There's also a more faithful (read: bastard hard) VGA adaptation of III out there, leaving IV as the only one I'd deem utterly unplayable by modern standards.

Link to KQIII?

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/kq3/

3 was always my favorite, probably because it was my first.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Every few KQ games actually suck early on. It was until seven that it became the norm.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    See, I have no problem with copy protection that's worked into the game story. Passwords you have tot ype in for the game to start are stupid.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If there's anything to be said about KQIII its (How many time did I actually fall off the mountain at the start?)

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    If there's anything to be said about KQIII its (How many time did I actually fall off the mountain at the start?)

Yeah, those mountain path parts are the worst part of the game. I first played it when I was about 7, and I probably spent months in the house before I realized you could explore the town below.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, for strictly Sierra, I don't think I ever got King's Quest. It wasn't funny and that was the big thing for me. Now Space Quest, I loved. And sucked at. Even considered doing a nostalgia Let's Play of 6.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this story.

Are you really betting against Activision not taking the opportunity to be a douchebag?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Also, for strictly Sierra, I don't think I ever got King's Quest. It wasn't funny and that was the big thing for me. Now Space Quest, I loved. And sucked at. Even considered doing a nostalgia Let's Play of 6.

King's Quest was always about creating fairy tales. I always really enjoyed their settings, even if the mechanics sometimes drove me nuts.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I believe IV-V-VI are getting the GoG treatment, which will make IV playable.

Not just getting, got! Along with the equivalent Space Quests, Gabriel Knight 1+2 and the Phantasmagorias.

Of course, Steam has both the King's Quest and Space Quest collections up, but they don't play so nice with Vista onwards - might have to play around with Dosbox settings. I was more referring to how offputtingly ugly IV is now - V onwards had VGA and the like.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    alabaster wrote: »
    Rucio wrote: »
    King's Quest VI had the manual bullshit on the Isle of Labyrinthy Death (it's been a while, can't remember the name) where if you weren't able to decode the alphabet the mountain dropped you to a squishy end. I must have lost and found that manual a dozen times.

Yeah, I remember that, but there was this one game ( I think it was a QFG), where the whole town basically was copy protection. Like literally you had to do copy protection to go down the street to get groceries. Over and over again through the whole game.

The VGA remake gives you the option of using the original or 'simplified' streets - the latter drastically cutting down the number of redundant alleys, making things correspond to the cardinal directions, and I believe actually giving you access to an in-game map at some point.

And KQVI - bought a budget release of the game that didn't have the copy protection guide in it! Had to get Sierra US to send a copy... I wish more games came with a well-produced booklet containing a workmanlike narration of you playing.

Don't forget the riddles actually inside the labrynth that you needed the book for.

Oh god the labyrinth. I still have nightmares about dying over and over in there because I didn't bring a brick.

That was the worst part of these games.

Oh, you ate the pie 2 hours ago instead of eating? Well fuck you, better hope you have a save. Oh, in that save you didn't pick up the boot? And you didn't know you needed it until after the area was closed off? Sucks to be you.

The lucasarts games were always much more user friendly.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    King's Quest VI had the manual bullshit on the Isle of Labyrinthy Death (it's been a while, can't remember the name) where if you weren't able to decode the alphabet the mountain dropped you to a squishy end. I must have lost and found that manual a dozen times.

Yeah, I remember that, but there was this one game ( I think it was a QFG), where the whole town basically was copy protection. Like literally you had to do copy protection to go down the street to get groceries. Over and over again through the whole game.

The VGA remake gives you the option of using the original or 'simplified' streets - the latter drastically cutting down the number of redundant alleys, making things correspond to the cardinal directions, and I believe actually giving you access to an in-game map at some point.

And KQVI - bought a budget release of the game that didn't have the copy protection guide in it! Had to get Sierra US to send a copy... I wish more games came with a well-produced booklet containing a workmanlike narration of you playing.

Don't forget the riddles actually inside the labrynth that you needed the book for.

Oh god the labyrinth. I still have nightmares about dying over and over in there because I didn't bring a brick.

Oh, you ate the pie 2 hours ago instead of eating? Well fuck you, better hope you have a save. Oh, in that save you didn't pick up the boot? And you didn't know you needed it until after the area was closed off? Sucks to be you.

Heh.. My first Lucasarts adventure game was Full Throttle and I was watching someone play it. My reaction was:
    "Wait, so if you screw up you DON'T die?"
    "Nope."
    "Wooah...."

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's their franchise!

Except that Vivendi had previously given them the go ahead to make it, now Activision have plugged the plug for what seems no reason than to be utter douchebags and to carry on for their Guinness book of World Records attempt for Worlds most evil games company.

It's a bit less clear-cut than that. Vivendi's go-ahead was conditional and revocable at any time by any of the two parties, not to mention the result of long negociations after a first C&D. When Activision's turn came they used their right to revoke the free license, and a new round of negociations started, this time fruitless.

It could be worse, they could be resurrecting the old King's Quest/Space Quest platformers.

chevluh on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, I could never get in to the King's Quests or the Leisure Suit Larry's. I used to enjoy the Space Quest series but I recently tried that again and just died, repeatedly, at the start.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Meh. I seem to be the only person in the world who didn't like Tierra (clever, guys) jacking with the structure of King's Quest II - there is no swamp, damnit.

You want to update the graphics? Fine. You decide to make a completely batshit director's cut, you make that optional.

Tamin on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, shit, now I have Girl in the Tower from the Sierra Soundtrack Collection stuck in my head.

My dad's cousin worked for Sierra back in the 80's/90's and once brought me a gift box of Sierra stuff, which include The Island of Dr Brain, The Incredible Machine, Eco Quest (she was off on my age by about 5 years, I was 13 not 8) and the soundtrack CD. Still that was the first CD that I ever owned, and I played it way more than any one should have.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

Heh.. My first Lucasarts adventure game was Full Throttle and I was watching someone play it. My reaction was:
    "Wait, so if you screw up you DON'T die?"
    "Nope."
    "Wooah...."

The thing that really bugged me about that though was that then the games felt easier. I mean, when you really think about it, once you know what to do you can blast through an adventure game in an hour or two. But when you reach a sticking point because you missed something a while back you have to start over and think through everything you did to make sure you don't leave some necessity behind.

The trick to doing this successfully (KQ 5 and 6) and not having it be terrible (Some adventures games have puzzle solutions that are just abominable) is ye olde Multiple Solution method. I have to say the first time I snuck into the castle in KQ6 disguised as a maid RATHER THAN visit the underworld and get what I needed for the portable hole spell, I was flabbergasted at how awesome it was.

And dark as hell, too.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What I hated was crap like in KQ5 where you would do something that seemed to work, but later on would screw you. For example, you find the golden needle in the haystack. You can use it to pay for the gypsy, which is part of the story. But you're supposed to use that needle to get a winter coat so you could survive the mountains. You got there a couple of hours after the gypsy, usually, and might not have any idea why you keep dying.

Also the thing with eating the pie versus the mutton, or not saving the mouse when you have like 3 seconds out of nowhere to do it. With the last one, the game should have said, "Uh oh, maybe you should have saved that mouse from the cat!" Otherwise, you'd have no idea that you'd be screwed later on.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I actually memorized the top level and both bottom level layouts of the maze. And that boot in KQ5? Seriously that desert was the dumbest thing ever.

Rucio on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Something similar to these fan-made sequels was/is happening with the Space Quest series. I was never a King's Quest man, Roger Wilco stole my heart many years ago.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not just getting, got! Along with the equivalent Space Quests, Gabriel Knight 1+2 and the Phantasmagorias.

The Gabriel Knight series has both always intrigued me and I've never actually played any of them. However, thinking back on the frustrations of my youth with Sierra, I'm not sure I want to now. Are they as 'punishing' as the Quest series of games [which the rest of the thread is discussing]?

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not really relevant to anything, but Sierra sent me a Mask of Eternity shirt to promote the game way back in the day.

I think I still might have it somewhere.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Litany wrote: »

The Gabriel Knight series has both always intrigued me and I've never actually played any of them. However, thinking back on the frustrations of my youth with Sierra, I'm not sure I want to now. Are they as 'punishing' as the Quest series of games [which the rest of the thread is discussing]?

I don't remember them being, but I would personally play them with a walkthrough. The stories and characters are pretty awesome and worth seeing. I liked the second (FMV) one more than I thought I would. It actually had good acting. Never played the third, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    Not really relevant to anything, but Sierra sent me a Mask of Eternity shirt to promote the game way back in the day.

I think I still might have it somewhere.

If it was created with the same care and artistry as the game, then it'll just be a puddle of rotting cotton.

The fact that the game sold twice as well as Grim Fandango irritates me no end.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I actually have KQ8 but have never installed it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

For the love of god, don't ever attempt to.

The best thing to do would be to take the packaging/disc/whatever and burn it in a bonfire, after first dousing it with holy water.

I never was huge on the King's Quest games myself (I was more into Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, and Quest for Glory), but even Daventry didn't deserve that abomination.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

For the love of god, don't ever attempt to.

The best thing to do would be to take the packaging/disc/whatever and burn it in a bonfire, after first dousing it with holy water.

I never was huge on the King's Quest games myself (I was more into Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, and Quest for Glory), but even Daventry didn't deserve that abomination.

It's funny how much PCXL swooned over KQ8 when it came out. Ugh...
    Play our award winning 2006 demo!
    cuz you aint gonna see shit else from us

As much as I love the idea behind a number of fan projects, I can't, off the top of my head, think of even 1 that was finished.

Quest for Glory 2. King's Quest I and II. AGD Interactive should tickle your damn fancy.

Speaking of, I'm going to redownload these now before Activision remembers them...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Play our award winning 2006 demo!
    cuz you aint gonna see shit else from us

As much as I love the idea behind a number of fan projects, I can't, off the top of my head, think of even 1 that was finished.

Quest for Glory 2. King's Quest I and II. AGD Interactive should tickle your damn fancy.

Speaking of, I'm going to redownload these now before Activision remembers them...
    Unless the guys over at AGD had a bout of full retard I would hope that they had a lawyer check the publishing rights contract from Vivendi so that such a thing would be unlikely.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't remember them being, but I would personally play them with a walkthrough. The stories and characters are pretty awesome and worth seeing. I liked the second (FMV) one more than I thought I would. It actually had good acting. Never played the third, though.

No, they aren't at all punishing. You can die at certain spots, but I don't believe you can do anything that will screw you over later on. There are a couple of obtuse puzzles strewn about, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Gabriel Knight (1 & 2 at least) were really pretty cool in that there were only a couple of areas where you could die and it was all fairly logical, such as not doing something when you're getting choked by a snake or not being properly disguised at a voodoo ritual. Now that I think about it, that ritual might be the only part of GK1 that was like the old school Sierra games in that not having certain items early in the game would screw you over. Most of the time, the game just wouldn't advance unless you hit every marker for that day.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm totally cool with deaths, and even random deaths. The "check your car or else it explodes" or the "look both ways to cross the street or get smoked by a car" 'puzzles' from [I believe] the first Police Quest are a-ok with me. Being able to save in a no-win situation is my issue.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

Gabriel Knight (1 & 2 at least) were really pretty cool in that there were only a couple of areas where you could die and it was all fairly logical, such as not doing something when you're getting choked by a snake or not being properly disguised at a voodoo ritual. Now that I think about it, that ritual might be the only part of GK1 that was like the old school Sierra games in that not having certain items early in the game would screw you over. Most of the time, the game just wouldn't advance unless you hit every marker for that day.

Yeah, the ritual's the only part where you can screw yourself over, but really, if you have a save when you first enter the big bad evil lair, you can do everything you need to. It's not like you'd have to reload a save from days earlier so you can pick up the mousetrap, and it's all entirely logical what you need to do. I HATED Sierra games for that crap, and the Gabriel Knight series is one of my favorite things ever. Everything you need to beat the ritual is available to you inside the place. The only things you can miss are getting the costumes and making it so Mosely can reach you, and those are things you can do at any point between entering and reaching the endgame.

Seriously, though, anyone who even vaguely likes adventure games and hasn't played GK, do it RIGHT NOW.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A word of warning about the first GK, though.

Tim Curry voices Gabriel, and Leah Remini voices Grace. Most peoples' ears have trouble handling that much concentrated awesomeness.

Edit: And that's not even counting Mark Hamill and Michael Dorn.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Another reason why I'm going to PAX East! Now I have to try to save ANOTHER cancelled game... that, and Sam and Max: Freelance Police...

ACTIVISION WILL PAY. I PROMISE.

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »

Me? 11 trillion times. My buddy played it on the Atari ST (oh yeah, when Atari made the best computer gaming rigs) so he was able to use the joystick. Nothing was worse than Space Quest... II when you get towards the end and realize you don't have the plunger.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

Link to KQIII?

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/kq3/

3 was always my favorite, probably because it was my first.

I adored KQ3. Unfortunately this adds terrible voice acting and hideously bad portraits.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Was Quest for Glory 2 the one that had that insane copy protection scheme where you had to literally have the manual with you for directions just to walk around? Like the whole thing was this giant maze and you couldn't get from point A to B without the detailed step by step instructions?

Because fuck that.

It wouldn't have had to come to that if people weren't pirating Sierra games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWf_jbrpn4o

emnmnme on