As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WORLD CUP/Soccer] World Cup starts tomorrow June 11th 9am!!!

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Supposedly they filled the Rose Bowl for the Mexico friendly. 2-0 win for Mexico, Vela scored the 2nd. Also, Jonathan dos Santos (Gio's brother) played rather well.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Holden out 6 weeks with a broken fibula.

Fuck you De Jong

God dammit. Should have been a straight red too. And just as he was getting into Bolton

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ARG

Well Holden could still make the world cup squad I suppose if it is only six weeks.

And dammit on Bornstein too. I was hoping that maybe he'd turned a corner and that we finally had a clear #1 at LB but noooo

I thought Torres was good this game myself. I'm hoping that after this WC he gets more of a chance with the national team, as it'll probably have a new coach.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quick status report on the adopting-a-club-side book. Since the last update I've been trying to hit a lot of countries I hadn't gotten to yet, on the grounds that it's harder to do a country profile than a team profile and once I have the country, adding teams within that country gets easier:

TOTAL TEAMS GIVEN THE INITIAL ONCE-OVER: 225
    COUNTRIES: 42

43 teams- England
    20- United States
    15- Italy
    14- Germany
    12- Brazil
    11- Scotland
    10- North Korea (don't read too much into it; I wanted a country profile, which is possible on the national level, but clubs don't even have their hometown available in most cases, or even their logos, which aren't really even logos in the traditional sense, so the club-profile part is just a bunch of the usual North Korea jokes), Spain
    9- Australia, Mexico
    8- Argentina, France
    5- Portugal
    4- Netherlands, South Korea
    3- Austria, Belgium, Canada, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey
    2- Botswana, Colombia, Japan, Morocco
    1- Algeria, Anguilla, Cameroon, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Iran, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Nigeria, Paraguay, Peru, Qatar, South Africa, Suriname, Switzerland, Tunisia (Esperance, by the way, surprisingly adoptable)

NEXT TEAM UP: Al-Ahly, Egypt.

OTHER TOP TEAMS NOT YET PROFILED:
    Rosario Central, Argentina
    Atletico Mineiro, Brazil
    Accra Hearts of Oak, Ghana
    AEK Athens, Greece
    Udinese, Italy
    FC Groningen, Netherlands
    Real Zaragoza, Spain
    Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine
    Penarol, Uruguay
    Swansea City, Wales

COUNTRY LEAVING THE BEST IMPRESSION SO FAR: Argentina.
    COUNTRY LEAVING THE WORST: South Korea. When you have a league filled with teams named 'Suwon Samsung Bluewings' and 'Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors', there's not much in the way of team identity. It's about as soullessly corporate as it gets.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Was one of the Japanese teams Urawa Red Diamonds? I watched them play on a stream. I was just going to give the once-over to this 19 year old player Naoki Yamada who I was told is gonna be the Japanese Paul Scholes. Their football was so damn pretty I ended up watching the entire game. The fans were also loud and impressive. Apparently that club averages 50,000+ in attendance.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Quick status report on the adopting-a-club-side book. Since the last update I've been trying to hit a lot of countries I hadn't gotten to yet, on the grounds that it's harder to do a country profile than a team profile and once I have the country, adding teams within that country gets easier:

TOTAL TEAMS GIVEN THE INITIAL ONCE-OVER: 225
    COUNTRIES: 42

43 teams- England
    20- United States
    15- Italy
    14- Germany
    12- Brazil
    11- Scotland
    10- North Korea (don't read too much into it; I wanted a country profile, which is possible on the national level, but clubs don't even have their hometown available in most cases, or even their logos, which aren't really even logos in the traditional sense, so the club-profile part is just a bunch of the usual North Korea jokes), Spain
    9- Australia, Mexico
    8- Argentina, France
    5- Portugal
    4- Netherlands, South Korea
    3- Austria, Belgium, Canada, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey
    2- Botswana, Colombia, Japan, Morocco
    1- Algeria, Anguilla, Cameroon, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Iran, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Nigeria, Paraguay, Peru, Qatar, South Africa, Suriname, Switzerland, Tunisia (Esperance, by the way, surprisingly adoptable)

NEXT TEAM UP: Al-Ahly, Egypt.

OTHER TOP TEAMS NOT YET PROFILED:
    Rosario Central, Argentina
    Atletico Mineiro, Brazil
    Accra Hearts of Oak, Ghana
    AEK Athens, Greece
    Udinese, Italy
    FC Groningen, Netherlands
    Real Zaragoza, Spain
    Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine
    Penarol, Uruguay
    Swansea City, Wales

COUNTRY LEAVING THE BEST IMPRESSION SO FAR: Argentina.
    COUNTRY LEAVING THE WORST: South Korea. When you have a league filled with teams named 'Suwon Samsung Bluewings' and 'Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors', there's not much in the way of team identity. It's about as soullessly corporate as it gets.

You keep forgetting Denmark.

You can't have Switzerland and Belgium and other barely footballing countries up there without at least FC Copenhagen and FC Brondby from Denmark, especially considering the massive influx of $texas that's happening in the Danish league currently and the amount of teams we have playing European football.

Cristo on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ARG

Well Holden could still make the world cup squad I suppose if it is only six weeks.

And dammit on Bornstein too. I was hoping that maybe he'd turned a corner and that we finally had a clear #1 at LB but noooo

I thought Torres was good this game myself. I'm hoping that after this WC he gets more of a chance with the national team, as it'll probably have a new coach.

Holden should be fine.

I really like Torres but he seems to be such a liability defensively. Lil Bradley, Benny, Rico, and now Edu are all ahead of him. It might be one cycle too soon for him.

As for LB I still think Pearce is our best bet, or failing that Boca since we have plenty of depth in the central defense.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As for LB I still think Pearce is our best bet, or failing that Boca since we have plenty of depth in the central defense.

I think Demerit and Gooch are solid in the middle if healthy, and Demerit-Boca is so much better than Boca-Bornstein that it shouldn't even be a debate. I'd rather Pearce and as a back up than Bornstein too.

edit
    As a dark horse in the midfield I think Beckerman deserves consideration. He's a strong defensive mid who is used to playing at elevation, while most of our midfielders are more offensive.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

I think Demerit and Gooch are solid in the middle if healthy, and Demerit-Boca is so much better than Boca-Bornstein that it shouldn't even be a debate. I'd rather Pearce and as a back up than Bornstein too.

edit
    As a dark horse in the midfield I think Beckerman deserves consideration. He's a strong defensive mid who is used to playing at elevation, while most of our midfielders are more offensive.

Are they? If you're talking about central midfielders the first choice pairing has generally been Clark-Bradley, Clark is certainly a d-mid and Bradley plays pretty deep at Moenchengladbach.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

edit

Are they? If you're talking about central midfielders the first choice pairing has generally been Clark-Bradley, Clark is certainly a d-mid and Bradley plays pretty deep at Moenchengladbach.

I guess defensive mid isn't the right term. I think the US plays best when the CM (usually Bradley) is playing up, and while Clark is a DM I don't see him as a destroyer like a (poor man's) Mascherano or Momo Sissoko. That's more what I'm thinking - when you want to play really negatively, which the US will probably need to do at least sometimes if they get past the group stage and hope to advance against some really good sides.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Clark is absolutely a destroyer

that is what he does, he is fantastic at dispossessing the other team. The problem is his distribution is terrible so he tends to give it right back.

I think Bradley/Edu is the ideal pairing, though I am a big Benny fan as well.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    /agree with everything I just read.

Also. Football Manager is taking over my life. I havent even put on pants yet. However! Seattle is undefeated thus far in league play and the only loss is 2nd round of US Cup to DC United.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Denmark is going to get covered. Thing is, for a while I was taking the list of teams I have on my to-do list (which seems to grow about as fast as the 'completed' list) and RNG'ing which one I would do next.

Copenhagen is on that list- and Brondby is going on now. It just hasn't been hit yet. Tell you what, after Al Ahly I'll get to them next.

Oh, and yes, yougottawanna, Urawa is one of the two Japanese teams. FC Tokyo's the other. Urawa is probably about as good as you're going to get it in Japan, especially considering that most other teams don't even want non-Japanese supporters. They'll just ignore you, largely. There's a partnership with Bayern Munich going, and I noticed the fan fervor too.

On the flip side, if a hooligan incident ever breaks out in Japan, it's probably Urawa's fault.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Everton want Donovan to stay until the end of the season.

He should, I could see him being consistent over there especially with Moyes looking to squeeze the most defensive output from his midfielders.

Arikado on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Denmark is going to get covered. Thing is, for a while I was taking the list of teams I have on my to-do list (which seems to grow about as fast as the 'completed' list) and RNG'ing which one I would do next.

Copenhagen is on that list- and Brondby is going on now. It just hasn't been hit yet. Tell you what, after Al Ahly I'll get to them next.

Oh, and yes, yougottawanna, Urawa is one of the two Japanese teams. FC Tokyo's the other. Urawa is probably about as good as you're going to get it in Japan, especially considering that most other teams don't even want non-Japanese supporters. They'll just ignore you, largely. There's a partnership with Bayern Munich going, and I noticed the fan fervor too.

On the flip side, if a hooligan incident ever breaks out in Japan, it's probably Urawa's fault.

Yea I can give you a few more teams as well :P
    If you're gonna be doing AEK Athens then you definately need to hit the other two big Athens teams in Olympiakos and Panathinaikos. Also PAOK Salonika, these four are the big teams in Greece, though you might also want to include Aris as they've got a few American players now (Eddie Johnson and Freddy Adu).

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here's an outside the box idea for the USMNT: If Davies can't come back, would you object to McBride? I haven't seen much of him of late but he's still active for the Fire. Could he be an option off the bench for a 4th World Cup?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    McBride isn't a big game player and he seems to think he can do more than just stand in the box and head at his age.

Better off grabbing Jeff Cunningham or Rob Findley.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    McBride isn't a big game player and he seems to think he can do more than just stand in the box and head at his age.

You must not have watched either of the last 2 matches if you think we are better off with Findley.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, the current pool is Altidore, Johnson, Findley, Davies, Cooper, Casey, Ching and Cunningham (assuming Bradley uses Donovan as a Trequarista or an outside forward).
    Altidore, Casey, and Ching are sure bets, if at least to come off the bench.
    Davies won't be 100% for a while.
    Johnson isn't quite there yet and is very inconsistent.
    Cooper just joined a new club and is still getting used to the physicality.
    Cunningham looks like he's on board.

I dunno, maybe McBride would be better than Findley. Honestly, not many teams are going to take more than 5 strikers and Bradley's tactics are looking predictable. I'm not saying he should go all Steve Sampson and switch to 3-6-1 but he should look at packing the wings and letting the big guys pound them in. South Africa has altitude so long balling it and rushing down the flanks would probably work well.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They would be better off playing Dempsey or Landon uptop than taking along someone like Findley or Johnson.

I'm also not sure I agree that Casey is a sure bet, though Ching certainly is.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Sounds cracking, mate

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yea I can give you a few more teams as well :P
    If you're gonna be doing AEK Athens then you definately need to hit the other two big Athens teams in Olympiakos and Panathinaikos. Also PAOK Salonika, these four are the big teams in Greece, though you might also want to include Aris as they've got a few American players now (Eddie Johnson and Freddy Adu).

PAOK and Aris now on the to-do list; already had the others. (Every team FIFA's called a 'classic club' is automatically on the list, as well as, with one or two 'no, absolutely not' exceptions, every club that's ever made a continental Champions League final. So you know what I'm dealing with. I reserve the right to DQ some of those cup-final teams if I find they're just impossible to work with. If FC Pinar Del Rio of Cuba or Stade Malien of Mali gets dropped, the world's not going to end.)

There are also specific countries I want to mention at some point, largely to bring up how soccer works in, say, the Faroe Islands, which necessitates me finding a team to cover from there. That's how Anguilla got in. (FUN FACT: A good chunk of Anguilla's national team clubs with an eighth-tier English side, Slough Town.)

You would be shocked to find out just how few current players have been even mentioned in the book so far. Like, at all. I don't even mention players for every team. West Ham, for example, has three players mentioned: Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters. Bayern Munich only has one: Beckenbauer. Inter Milan didn't get anybody.

To get a mention, the player either has to be huge and have spent the bulk of his career with the team, legendary and have spent at least a little bit of time there, been part of a key moment in club history, or been the focal point of something that was just too much fun not to write about. Players swap teams way too often to go 'hey, this guy's currently on this team'.

Gosling on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bendtner.

0.o

Walcott

=D

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Bendtner is now the white Adebayor.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bendtner got the assist at least.

Cristo on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's a little diddy I wrote for our boy, Nicky B.

Oh, if Bendtner plays pro footie, so can I!
    If Bendtner plays pro footie, so can I!
    Give him an open net, and the goalies need not fret.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lol bendtner

MindLib on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That was Donovan-esque

Too soon?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

McBride had game winning goals vs Mexico and Portugal in the 2002 WC. Those don't count?

And Cunningham and Findley are most likely not even being considered anymore.

Casey is also on the bubble as best, while Ching is almost certainly in. If Davies is healthy I think they'll bring Jozy, Davies and Ching.

Casey, Cunningham and Findley are just not good enough. I might even rank Eddie Johnson over them. It'd be far better to bring another midfielder and push Dempsey/Donovan up in that case. I'd much rather add another midfielder there. McBride is worth discussing I think because he's experienced, a proven international scorer and a classic striker.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wanted to see what Eddie could do against the Dutch

I've seen enough thanks. Let's just all hope Davies can come back.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010

McBride had game winning goals vs Mexico and Portugal in the 2002 WC. Those don't count.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wanted to see what Eddie could do against the Dutch

I've seen enough thanks. Let's just all hope Davies can come back.

Might be an expectation thing because I wasn't really disappointed. I think he was selfish but I saw that as pressing and he worked hard off the bench. Davies being something like he was in France or the Confederations Cup is pretty important

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No idea if this is live but Golazo! from Kruse in Sydney-Melbourne just now

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, the definite ruling has come down. No goal-line technology wanted by FIFA.
    Football's rule-makers have shut the door on goal-line technology and effectively ended any chance of video replays coming into the game.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) meeting in Zurich voted against continuing any further experiments with goal-line technology although the FA and Scottish FA both voted in favour.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said: "The door is closed. The decision was not to go ahead with technology at all."

The IFAB will decide in May whether to pursue the system of having an extra two officials behind each goal-line.

Morons.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can we get a new head of FIFA, please? One that's not so consistently boneheaded? Who do we have that would be good?

Gosling on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Could the US senate do a better job than FIFA? Could FIFA do a better job than the US senate? We should swap them, make a reality show out of it.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Buddy Lee wrote: »

To be fair, of the 5 chances he got only 2 of the misses were actually his fault.

Granted, the 2 that were his fault were horrendous and he should have scored but the other 3 there was nothing he could. For the first one, Patterson was able to just nick the ball with his boot as B52 shot, deflecting the shot, for the second one the ball was too slow in coming to B52 and the keeper to quick out of his goal, and for the 3rd the ball landed really awkwardly at his feet as he was sliding in.

Cristo on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bendtner was and will always be awful. Sweet baby Jesus, it was painful to watch. Moreso than usual.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I prefer the "If Heskey can play for England" version myself.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    evilbob wrote: »

I prefer the "If Heskey can play for England" version myself.

"If the Nevilles can play for England" is also a gem.

Cristo, you can try to make up excuses for Nicky, but you're not going to convince me that he was anything but absolute trash. He missed five chances? It felt like 20.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346