As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Uhm...impromptu invite for two hours from now

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Long story short: It is this girl's birthday today. I hung out with for awhile like a year ago and stopped but maintained minimal contact with her and I've seen her a few times here and there. I sent her a message saying Happy Birthday and she responded that I should come to her party...which is being thrown by one of her best friend's sister...at her house. Never met the friend, never met the sister either. I guess I don't care about that because the birthday girl invited me.

My question: What the hell am I supposed to bring? Every birthday party I've gone to in the last few years were at a bar which means no gift, no bringing alcohol or food. I haven't been to a house birthday party in a long ass time...and I feel like this was thrown together anyway. Should I be bringing a gift or like wine/food or something?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• MariamMariam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you emailed her and she already responded, respond again and ask if they're something you can bring.

Otherwise: cookies, wine, beer, silly party hats..

Mariam on
  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How bout you just ask her if you should bring a bottle of something. Or beer. Really, it depends on the kind of party they're throwing.

Edgie on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I did and she's not responding...she might be busy getting ready or getting hammered with questions. I'll call her on the phone in a little bit I guess if she doesn't answer...

...but what about a gift? I would normally be buying this girl a present, I mean, I hardly ever see her. I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to get her. Is that kind of expected since the party is at a house?

Drez on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your pretty much never under obligation to bring a birthday gift for any age past 7, but I doubt she'll mind if you choose to.

Otherwise, I would bring your alcoholic beverage of choice in a quantity that's shareable (what you'll drink yourself +6 for beer) and perhaps some sort of snack.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, if you can't ask her, I'd say Alcohol. Since it seems like you don't know the type of crowd well, I'd suggest beer. Most Wine drinkers will drink beer, but not all beer drinkers will drink wine. Of course, just becasue you want to bring beer, doesn't mean you have to be unsophisticated about it and show up with Natty Ice or Busch Light.

Latley, I've been really getting into Unibroue beers. La Fin Du Monde is my favortie right now.

http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

Come in a nice big bottle, even has a cork with a little wire cover.

Edit: If I were in your shoes, I would not feel the slightest obligation to buy a gift, not even a card. Given the short notice, it would be rude of her to think you should get one.

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd say a bottle of bubbly.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • lunarwulflunarwulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Get a birthday card and insert a gift certificate for like $20 to best buy or something. If you haven't seen her in a while then, you won't know what to get her. Girls love cards, so take the time to be thoughtful about it, even if you don't know what to get her, she can always get a cd with the gift card.

If you've always brought some alcohol over, bring beer and maybe a bottle of liquor (keep in the car, just in case). You never know when it's a party and everybody's drinking but they're all bringing their own supply or if they'll be out by the time you get there.

On the other hand, if you want some play and remember something special about her, make sure it's a cool gift.

lunarwulf on
    It's been made abundantly clear that Ten O'Clock is time for Rainbow Six. It is not time for other games! You might think that it is, but it isn't. Don't show up at 10:05! That's not when it is. It is earlier.
    edited January 2007
    She responded to me and said "awesome, it's all up to you to bring anything."

Few notes: the party is in uptown (145th street) NYC. I'm in Staten Island. I don't have a car, so that's like a two hour travel, which means that if I left this very second I would be late for the party and I'm not even ready yet. So I'm going to be pretty late, but I told her that already too.

As far as a gift, I was thinking of a 20 dollar certificate in a card, but...see above. Time-wise, not possible.

I figure I'll bring some wine or alcohol...the only problem is traipsing around the city holding alcohol, dodging vagrants and vagabonds aplenty. I suppose I'll just take the ferry in which will get me near a nice alcohol shop and buy some decent wine. I would wait till I get uptown, but I don't know diddly shit about that area, so I'm not convinced I will easily find something.

Oh well, shower time. Thanks guys...I'll check when I hop out...all ideas are helpful and welcome. From how I was invited, I don't think she expects me to bring anything except myself really...but I don't like showing up empty handed either.

Drez on
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Flowers.

Zsetrek on
    edited January 2007
    Well, you can always substitute $20 bucks for the gift card, maybe a little less suave, but cash is king and it's more flexible. Still shows thoughtfulness and if she's going to be drinking a lot, will probaly be more appreciated.

If your liquor stores are like ours down south, you might be able to get a brithday card there.

Best of luck with your party. Hope you get some play.

lunarwulf on
    It's been made abundantly clear that Ten O'Clock is time for Rainbow Six. It is not time for other games! You might think that it is, but it isn't. Don't show up at 10:05! That's not when it is. It is earlier.
  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you've got a dollar store near by. The gift of glowsticks is one I always enjoy at parties. It tends to liven the place up a bit.

Same goes for those party poppers and silly hats.

If you're thinking of a gift just for her, the gift card isn't a bad idea at all.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, and whatever you end up getting her, make sure you drop by a newsagent and get her a card.

Zsetrek on
    edited January 2007
    I was thinking and I'm going to try to get her one of those really fat black permanent markers...you know, the ones large enough to be a dildo? It sounds a shitty gift in actuality, and I don't have time to explain the story now, but last time I really hung out with her we drove to three different stores at 11PM looking for one. It'd be a nice reminder I think of last time we had fun.

Too corny? I mean, I agree that flowers and stuff are nice, but this is a different kind of girl and it would seem a little incongruous considering our relationship.

Drez on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drop the pretence and just get her a real dildo.

Jokes aside, obviously you understand your relationship with this girl better than any of us do so I'm sure that will work out fine. Sounds like it'll bring out a laugh at least. I'd still go with a bottle of sparkling wine and/or a card though anyway - funny as it is you don't want to look like you came along with something you fished out of your junk drawer.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do *NOT* bring a snack, just be casual and bring a good amount of alcohol. Just go and have a good time.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, the magic marker'll do. It'll also be a nice story for the party if anyone wants to drunkenly rehash it. lol

The card and the alcohol. too. Get going, time's a waisting!

edit:
    and if you don't really know anybody there and she tells about this story, it'll help identify you to the group and give you some status.

lunarwulf on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just buy a bottle of tequila or champagne.

JWFokker on
    edited January 2007
    So, I went. It was a lot of fun...and I got home at like 7 this morning.

This...
    lunarwulf wrote:
    Yeah, the magic marker'll do. It'll also be a nice story for the party if anyone wants to drunkenly rehash it. lol

The card and the alcohol. too. Get going, time's a waisting!

edit:
    and if you don't really know anybody there and she tells about this story, it'll help identify you to the group and give you some status.

...is exactly what happened. I'm glad I thought of the Sir Marks-A-Lot marker last minute.

I also brought a fuckton of alcohol.

Thanks all :)

Drez on
    edited January 2007
    Hey, glad we could be of service. :D

Also glad everything went cool. 8)

lunarwulf on