As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SUCCESSION GAME ON] Why Yes, I Do Like Civilization 4, How Did You Know?

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bah! I want to play this game in Multiplayer. Sometime soon.

Mandalore, Eric, etc, we need to do this. Perhaps early this evening. At like 6:30 pm central.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok well, unless I hear otherwise from our illustrious host, I'm going to assume that I'm next and pick up where Jimmy left off. I will try and complete my game tonight and post it sometime afterwards or tomorrow, depending on how much time it takes me.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The current player is always limed in the OP, so yeah you're up RU.

Also I'm moving RGG to the end of our list, so Foefaller is next for that team.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know why, but I have been really wanting to play some Civilization: Call to Power lately. Am I the only one that seems to remember it as being fun? Some of the concepts it did can be connected to the Rise of Mankind mod. For example, in RoM, you pay some money for every improvement. In CtP, you pay public works points to place them. Also the future tech stuff are similar. Obviously, only CtP had the orbital map.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, I'm home. I tried to download the file Jimmy linked to me via PM but the link is borked. Bum, or anyone, do you have the file?

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Allright well I'm going to play some FFXIII, but will try and remember to come back to the thread every now and again. If anyone has the latest file for my team, please let me know. PMing me is probably the best way.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Both of the latest players should re-upload the file then. Or find the right link or whatever. Don't die, thread!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    jimmy8091jimmy8091 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Resent save to RD.

jimmy8091 on
    I adblock your sigs.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, got file!

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I sent a link to the save to Foefaller too now, so we should be covered on Team 1.

(I could just take 50 more turns ;p Must... crush... Sitting Bull!)

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jimmy, wrong file, you sent me turn 215. Giggie is still alive and you're at war with the Chinese for some reason.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    jimmy8091jimmy8091 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RU, sent you the correct file. Not too sure why I sent you that one.

The Chinese declared war on us for no reason. Perhaps Giggie asked him to. However, without any combat between us, the Chinese offered peace a few turns later

jimmy8091 on
    I adblock your sigs.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright, the save is on my computer!!

I'll probablly get to it either tommorow night or Friday afternoon, and post it up right 24 hours of that.

So it will be ready for the next guy Saturday at the latest.

EDIT: Also, 50 turns, right?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Alright, the save is on my computer!!

I'll probablly get to it either tommorow night or Friday afternoon, and post it up right 24 hours of that.

So it will be ready for the next guy Saturday at the latest.

EDIT: Also, 50 turns, right?

Yep 50 turns.

Tag on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yep, 50 turns until you get your second turn. Then a very very short 25 turns on the second run through.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    jimmy8091 wrote: »
    RU, sent you the correct file. Not too sure why I sent you that one.

The Chinese declared war on us for no reason. Perhaps Giggie asked him to. However, without any combat between us, the Chinese offered peace a few turns later

Ok, got the right file now, everything seems to be in order. Unfortunately, it's too late for me to play now, so I'll have to get to it tomorrow. Hopefully, if I have enough time, I will submit my post tomorrow night, if not, expect it at some point over the weekend.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will try to keep the thread from dying by asking a question:

I'm trying to figure out how to win reliably on noble when I don't play a financial civ. I figured I'd take an aggressive leader to force me to wage wars when I'm not the runaway tech leader, so I took Shaka.

I'm still in the early going of an epic-speed game, and I take a scouting trip south to visit Louis. What I find is that my power ratio to him is 2.2, and he has the pyramids in his capital directly south of me. Two archers currently defending. He has iron in his BFC of his capital but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know it yet.

So my question is what kind of offense do I need to grab his city? I have a force of ~10 axes, impis, and chariots. I just researched iron working but I'm about 5 turns away from hooking iron up. Should I wait until I have a bunch of swords? Or just rush him now?

rattletrap on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If he doesn't have his iron hooked up yet, I'd go to war with what you've got. Especially if you can take the capital first.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    rattletrap wrote: »
    I will try to keep the thread from dying by asking a question:

I'm trying to figure out how to win reliably on noble when I don't play a financial civ. I figured I'd take an aggressive leader to force me to wage wars when I'm not the runaway tech leader, so I took Shaka.

I'm still in the early going of an epic-speed game, and I take a scouting trip south to visit Louis. What I find is that my power ratio to him is 2.2, and he has the pyramids in his capital directly south of me. Two archers currently defending. He has iron in his BFC of his capital but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know it yet.

So my question is what kind of offense do I need to grab his city? I have a force of ~10 axes, impis, and chariots. I just researched iron working but I'm about 5 turns away from hooking iron up.

In my opinions, you likely have the forces to take the city. The question is, does he have other cities that could muster to retake it or hit your home territories? Save your game, attack and see how well it works out. You will lose some units to his archers, but you have a good shot at taking him out. I play with a mod on (forgot the name) that tells me the odds of the ending health of both units. Very useful when you are sending units to die. Make sure you launch your attack and plan to capture the city in the same turn. You have no options on a multiturn siege as he will likely heal them and the AI would likely spawn or move in extra defenders. Also, try to minimize the amount of time from when you go to war and when you start hitting him.

P.S. No city walls, right? It will be impervious if it has those. Also, culture is still pretty, low I assume, maybe 20% extra defense?

Civilization: Call to Power
    I found my Civ Call to Power cd last night. I played it a bit. What a broken game! It could have been great though. I keep seeing where culture borders could have mixed well with its mechanics. I also see so many features it has that were borrow or absorbed by the main-stream Civ games. Interesting. Also, placing public works is so much better than worker management.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You could probably rush him if its really just 2 archers vs. 10 guys, although you will probably take losses depending on the balance of promotions and whether he has walls. If you wait to get swordsmen, he may have a larger defense there negating the gain.

Alternatively, Louis tends to go all out wonders, you could let him build them for you and then just sweep in later once you have spies/siege. If he's the closest civ to you though, i would just take it.

Tag on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Generally 6-8 Axes work for an initial force and then you keep building them. Make sure you don't get bogged down as the AI just keeps spamming archers.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No walls. The dude's been wonder-happy, although I have too since I started with stone AND marble in my BFC.

The wonder-love may mean his cultural defenses are high though... I will have to check when I'm home.

Also keep in mind I'm aggressive so everyone has combat 1, and several of my axes have city raider I from the barracks for earlier assault on a barb city, while the others are unpromoted.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. I think I like watching other people play Civ as much as I enjoy playing it myself. It's really interesting to see two different games played from the same start as well.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I eargerly await my turn. RU get it done tonight so I can play Friday night before sat shit show day.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    rattletrap wrote: »
    No walls. The dude's been wonder-happy, although I have too since I started with stone AND marble in my BFC.

The wonder-love may mean his cultural defenses are high though... I will have to check when I'm home.

Also keep in mind I'm aggressive so everyone has combat 1, and several of my axes have city raider I from the barracks for earlier assault on a barb city, while the others are unpromoted.

You shouldn't have too much trouble. Take that city for the glory of Shaka!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    I eargerly await my turn. RU get it done tonight so I can play Friday night before sat shit show day.

I should be able to at least finish my turn tonight, though I can't guarantee a writeup before tomorrow.

So I'll pass you the file as soon as I'm done, but don't post a writeup before I do mine, k?

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thread has inspired me to break out Civ IV again. I have BTS. Was wondering if anyone can suggest any good mods for it? I've never modded Civ before.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    smof wrote: »
    This thread has inspired me to break out Civ IV again. I have BTS. Was wondering if anyone can suggest any good mods for it? I've never modded Civ before.

Rise of Mankind is amazing. It expands to the tech tree to insane levels. It has a lot of great features, unique buildings, and some new mechanics.

Also, there is an excellent Dune mod that I love. It has some flaws, but the AI plays it pretty well (unlike other mods, including Rise of Mankind).

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »

I should be able to at least finish my turn tonight, though I can't guarantee a writeup before tomorrow.

So I'll pass you the file as soon as I'm done, but don't post a writeup before I do mine, k?

No problem. Just wanted to be sure I had the time to play. We could some kind of fun time travel thing for our flavor text if I posted first, but I won't. I already know my flavor text, flavor. Unless you get us wiped out.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

Rise of Mankind is amazing. It expands to the tech tree to insane levels. It has a lot of great features, unique buildings, and some new mechanics.

Also, there is an excellent Dune mod that I love. It has some flaws, but the AI plays it pretty well (unlike other mods, including Rise of Mankind).

That Dune mod looks fucking coooool. Nice one.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Should be warned that it slows down a lot late game and is somewhat unstable. Also, if you're a builder, the mod haaaaates you. So many pretty buildings to make! Mmmm buildings.

Also, mandatory mention of Fall from Heaven 2 and its expansions/mod mods/etc.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    French civilization = DEAD

He only had 2 cities! With a total of 3 archers and a warrior defending! I assumed he had hidden reserves somewhere but no.

It's like a free set of pyramids and two cities. My economy is in the shits though.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Should be warned that it slows down a lot late game and is somewhat unstable. Also, if you're a builder, the mod haaaaates you. So many pretty buildings to make! Mmmm buildings.

Also, mandatory mention of Fall from Heaven 2 and its expansions/mod mods/etc.

Are you referring to RoM or the Dune thing?

Will check out FFH, thanks.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RoM, sorry.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RoM, sorry.

You can build all those buildings when you get serious hammers rolling. Late game, they have so many boosts to hammer production that you can build EVERYTHING in some cities and be churning out the largest units every turn from a city.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RoM, sorry.

You can build all those buildings when you get serious hammers rolling. Late game, they have so many boosts to hammer production that you can build EVERYTHING in some cities and be churning out the largest units every turn from a city.

Yeah, I'm there. It gets kind of boring though. I had the domination victory won on Prince without being an aggressive war monger 1/4 of the way through the game. I think the ideas are really good, but they need serious AI help and more efficient use of computing power.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well boo, I downloaded RoM but it doesn't work, BTS just crashes when I try and boot it. Thought maybe I need the latest BTS patch and the damn thing won't install.

Damn you PC I try so hard to love you but why won't you ever just work straight away without any fucking around like the retarded xbox does.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well boo, I downloaded RoM but it doesn't work, BTS just crashes when I try and boot it. Thought maybe I need the latest BTS patch and the damn thing won't install.

Damn you PC I try so hard to love you but why won't you ever just work straight away without any fucking around like the retarded xbox does.

I had issues starting BTS and Warlords, i.e. it crashed. After some tinkering around, I realized that my video card did not support the default resolutions so I mucked around with the config files and finally they worked fine.

Maybe if you post your problems here or in the civfanatics forums, you could troubleshoot

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Welp, I just found the 'search for updates' option in the in-game menu and it now appears to be installing the patch. OK PC, I bet you feel so clever now don't you.

Will try RoM again once it's patched. Incidentally BTS itself works fine.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Allright, in an effort to not screw up the game for everyone, I've really been trying to be careful during my turn.

Good news is: Things are going really well
    Bad news is: I'm not done yet, only halfway. The hardest part, however, is the beginning of the turn, where you have to familliarise yourself with your assets and then adjust your strategy accordingly.

So apologies to Smaug, I won't be done today, but I'll try and finish before too late tomorrow and will be sure to send you the file as soon as I'm done.

See you all tomorrow!

Romantic Undead on