As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New HD for my laptop

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This 40GB crap isn't cutting it. It's looking like the smallest drives available now are about 400% bigger than my current drive, so some basic thing with a solid record for reliability will do.

MKR on

• Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People all have their favorite brands, but I like Seagate because they have a 3-year warranty and I've had good luck with them. When you buy a new drive, make sure you get the proper type (EIDE vs SATA) and make sure the new drive is the same thickness/height as your current drive (some higher capacity drives have more platters and are slightly thicker). A good strategy is to use a program like Ghost (for PCs) or Carbon Copy Cloner (for Mac) to clone your data to the new drive (connected to your laptop in an external drive enclosure for the cloning process) so you can then install it in your laptop, boot up, have all of your stuff and a lot of extra space on nice fresh new drive.

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    People all have their favorite brands, but I like Seagate because they have a 3-year warranty and I've had good luck with them. When you buy a new drive, make sure you get the proper type (EIDE vs SATA) and make sure the new drive is the same thickness/height as your current drive (some higher capacity drives have more platters and are slightly thicker). A good strategy is to use a program like Ghost (for PCs) or Carbon Copy Cloner (for Mac) to clone your data to the new drive (connected to your laptop in an external drive enclosure for the cloning process) so you can then install it in your laptop, boot up, have all of your stuff and a lot of extra space on nice fresh new drive.

I should have mentioned that this was so I could set up a dual boot with Linux to save you some typing. :P

Seagate's 3 year warranty sounds lovely. Unless someone comes in with a better suggestion, I'll look at their offerings. Thanks.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is the one I have now: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-MK4026GAX-internal-ATA-100-buffer/dp/B00063XNKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267661836&sr=8-1

My A+ class was a long time ago, so I don't recall whether ATA and SATA are compatible. Will an SATA drive work if an ATA does?

edit: And what about the different speeds of ATA? Are they interchangeable?

edit: And am I correct in thinking that PATA and ATA are the same thing?

MKR on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think (and Wikipedia agrees) IDE = PATA = ATA.

SATA is different completely.

If you're stuck with PATA it's going to be more expensive, smaller and slower.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    I think (and Wikipedia agrees) IDE = PATA = ATA.

SATA is different completely.

If you're stuck with PATA it's going to be more expensive, smaller and slower.

Anything is better than 40GB. And most of what I do is over and on the intertubes anyway. Everything else is long-term storage.

MKR on
  • Options
    LasgarLasgar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While I am also a fan of Seagate, Western Digital also makes great drives that have a 3 year warranty.

250 GB for 79.99
    or
    320 GB for 89.99

Either of these would be a good choice. They are also the same interface as yours, just called a different thing. ATA-6 = ATA-100.

Lasgar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was looking for something more in the $40-50 range. If I just had double the space I have now it would be enough. Pretty much everything is streamed nowadays, so I don't have as much need for storage as I might have 10 years ago. All I need is room for the latest of a handful of podcasts, a decently-large partition for XP and Ubuntu, some documents and images, a few games, and some VMs.

MKR on
  • Options
    LasgarLasgar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The problem is ATA is no longer used in any laptops so it is getting more expensive as you just have less options available. For the same 89 dollars you would be able to get a 500GB SATA drive for example.
    Closer to your price range are
    80GB for 54.99
    or
    120GB for 59.99
    This was the best I could find with a quick look at Newegg and Amazon.

Lasgar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lasgar wrote: »
    The problem is ATA is no longer used in any laptops so it is getting more expensive as you just have less options available. For the same 89 dollars you would be able to get a 500GB SATA drive for example.
    Closer to your price range are
    80GB for 54.99
    or
    120GB for 59.99
    This was the best I could find with a quick look at Newegg and Amazon.
    Other Thoughts: Bourbon makes installation much easier.

<3

120GB should last until this laptop kicks the bucket or I have enough money to upgrade to something better.

MKR on