As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blur] Call of Burnout2: Modern Mario Kart - Out Now!

• Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's so weird how people hate on the Blue Shell, but pretty much every racer with weapons in it has something like it.

Is that just because more people have played Mario Kart than Wipeout?

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do kind of like the way Blur does it, the ability to dodge, even though it does still take some time and slow you down, makes it feel a lot less like your fellow racers are cheating.

Though I kind of want an "undodge-able" Shunt/Shock option, to make races more silly.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm playing the demo of this right now.

Holy fuck I want this now. Damn my vow not to buy anymore games until the fall...

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now I've had a chance to play the Split/Second demo, the one I was looking forward to trying much more than Blur, I think I can make a decision:

Blur wins!

You can really tell that Bizarre know what they're doing after making, what, five racing games in a row? It feels so much faster and plays much better than S/S.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quake Matt wrote: »
    Now I've had a chance to play the Split/Second demo, the one I was looking forward to trying much more than Blur, I think I can make a decision:

Blur wins!

You can really tell that Bizarre know what they're doing after making, what, five racing games in a row? It feels so much faster and plays much better than S/S.

Completely agree. And I was really looking forward to Split/Second much more than Blur. The Beta was insanely fun for Blur, while the demo for Split/Second was just very lacking. It never felt like I was actually racing the people around me, more like just racing on a rollercoaster. A beautiful rollercoaster, but it just left me feeling meh.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Split/Second just seemed so gimmicky in that demo.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After having played the demo for both Blur and Split/Second, I can say that I'll probably pass on both. I'd be interested in Blur if Modnation Racers wasn't coming out the very next week, but I don't really need 2 kart racers in a 2 week time-span.

My impression with Blur is that the aesthetic of driving real cars while shooting energy weapons doesn't work. The gameplay was fun, but the visuals were jarring. It just doesn't work for me. But like I said, I would probably get it for the leveling system and the fun driving / combat if it weren't for the fact that Modnation is a week later and I want that game way more.

Split/Second didn't feel like the driving controls were quite as finely tuned. And the whole style of it makes me want to play it like Burnout. But I wasn't able to play it like Burnout and that bugged me. I kept trying to side-swipe guys and knock them off the road, and that totally didn't work at all, which irritated me. I felt like I was helpless to advance my position until I built up my power-play gauge.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I honestly think that Bizzare choosing normal cars is what makes Blur good.

Not because I like normal cars, I find them boring. But starting from normal cars and a fun arcade racer instead of "how can we make this look like Mario Kart" is just a better understanding of what makes Mario Kart fun. Every "Kart Racer" I've played that isn't Mario Kart is just terrible. With maybe the exception of that Banjo-Kazooie one.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There are ways of making a more "realistic" style kart racer without using real cars.

Before I knew that Blur was a kart racer hiding behind a mask of faux realism, I was totally thinking up this idea in my head about how awesome it would be to have a game with kart racer game mechanics that was built for adults.

In my head, such a game basically looks like Twisted Metal, only with a greater emphasis on racing, whereas Twisted Metal is mostly just a deathmatch with cars.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've decided to pass on Split/second as well. I think Tycho in a recent news post summed it up best.
    This established, from a mental real estate perspective, they're at a tremendous disadvantage against the Blur beta. Its lineage affords it a generalized bonus as well, but above and beyond that the trial experience they've offered is a roasting pork shank whose juices sizzle aromatically on the fire. Split/Second offers up a single track, in single player, with a single car in a package that I'm positive represents some ancient press demo. By comparison, Blur offers multiplayer in four unlockable modes with a fuck-ass shit-ton of cars, persistent character growth, and customizable loadouts. They gave me an opportunity to fall in love with Blur, to play it with my friends, and to imagine what night after nightt of this kind of play might feel like.

Split/Second really does feel like an old press demo, and while the big power plays where impressive they lost there coolness after seeing them a few times. The one thing I was impressed with is that there were 3 route changes in the airport track, and I was surprised to find the third one for the first time on my 5-6 race.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There are ways of making a more "realistic" style kart racer without using real cars.

Before I knew that Blur was a kart racer hiding behind a mask of faux realism, I was totally thinking up this idea in my head about how awesome it would be to have a game with kart racer game mechanics that was built for adults.

In my head, such a game basically looks like Twisted Metal, only with a greater emphasis on racing, whereas Twisted Metal is mostly just a deathmatch with cars.
    God I want that.

That is the most annoying part about Blur. I hate real cars so much. I would love Blur, but Death Race. Attach funny awesome looking weapons to your cars, and then powerups activate them (and still function you know, exactly the same. 3 bursts of main weapon, one big homing weapon, whatever).

I think the dudes are just too used to making realistic racers, though. They made PGR, right? I'm sure they think they're going wild and crazy by allowing you to corner in an LRX almost like you would in a GTO500!

Still though, I think the fact that they started with a desire to make a good racing game and deliver on their pedigree, while it encouraged them to stick with boring as hell cars, makes Blur consistently fun to play. Every other "wacky races" game I've tried seems to start with "who can we have star in this?" and less on the actual making a good game. Actually, that will probably help the modnation game, too. Doesn't it just use LBP characters?

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Every other "wacky races" game I've tried seems to start with "who can we have star in this?" and less on the actual making a good game. Actually, that will probably help the modnation game, too. Doesn't it just use LBP characters?

Nope. Modnation Racers just has a character-creation suite similar to LBP--Sackboy from LBP is an unlockable skin for buying a 1st Print copy, but the Mods (the racers) are totally customizable. There's no real "star" beyond the customization potential.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Modnation has nothing at all to do with LittleBigPlanet. Its just a kart racer with hellz of customization options, and track-building, which is the main reason I'm so stoked for it.

Back to Blur though, I was looking at the preorder bonuses for this game, and they are all pretty weak. Gamestop gives you double fans (XP) for your first ten races and it unlocks the Ford Bronco. Game Crazy gives double cash for your first 3 single-player races, and Best Buy is giving an at-time-of-purchase redemption code to unlock a Dodge Viper on day 1.

But early unlocks on the Bronco and Viper just don't really seem that big of a deal since anyone will be able to eventually unlock them.

Typically what I want out of a preorder bonus is something exclusive, not something unlocked early that everyone will eventually have.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Really all I ever want from a preorder is money. If I'm putting down a bet that this game will be good before reviews are out, I'd like it to cost slightly less.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok so I just played a bunch more races in the beta demo and am really starting to like this game. I'm still not really sold on the idea of the real life cars, but in terms of both the racing and the combat, the game is aces. The driving handles really well and most of the power-ups actually require skill to use. Plus I like the fact that there are no broken weapons. They all seem very balanced.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Tokyo track. What's the deal with that first turn? Is it even possible to take that turn without slamming into the wall? I've played that track probably 20 times and every time that turn comes up, every single racer slams into it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    IncognitoEsqIncognitoEsq TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Tokyo track. What's the deal with that first turn? Is it even possible to take that turn without slamming into the wall? I've played that track probably 20 times and every time that turn comes up, every single racer slams into it.

It's not a matter of not slamming into the wall, it's a matter of figuring out when to start drifting so you can just bounce off and not lose too much speed. I'm not even sure if it's possible to not slam into the wall.

IncognitoEsq on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    All right. So I've played the demo up to level 15 and I love this game.

What kind of stuff can we expect up to level 50? I mean, are there just tons and tons of cars? or what other sort of unlocks can we expect to see along the way?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

What kind of stuff can we expect up to level 50? I mean, are there just tons and tons of cars? or what other sort of unlocks can we expect to see along the way?

Nukes. :P

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2010

You're basically looking at more cars and mods (or perks, in MW2 terms). They're the typical fare, where you get a slight advantage in specific situations but nothing over-powering.

There are also car upgrades, but they aren't in the beta yet.

I haven't played the beta since they upped the limit to level 15. Is the rear-view laser sight mod that I heard about in there? Cause that sounds fucking incredible.

There is some info on the single player stuff here too.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nope, no enhancement right now for the rear view mirror.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Beta's over. Now to wait for retail.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do we know if the ranks we gained in the beta demo will transfer over into the retail release? Or are they gonna reset everything?

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no transfering

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seeing as how it took me all of one afternoon to max out the ranks in beta, I'm not that heart broken.

Figgy on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had been looking forward to this game for a while, but the screens looked kind of weird. I played two races last Friday and I was hooked. This does seem to be better than Split/Second but I'll still give both a try. I'm really tempted to buy Blur when it comes out.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I seem to have a way higher tolerance level for competitive racing than I do for competitive shooters. With the Blur demo, I was able to sit there and play race after race for hours at a time without getting frustrated. With Modern Warfare 2 I seem to only be able to play around 3 or 4 matches tops before I need a break.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I seem to have a way higher tolerance level for competitive racing than I do for competitive shooters. With the Blur demo, I was able to sit there and play race after race for hours at a time without getting frustrated. With Modern Warfare 2 I seem to only be able to play around 3 or 4 matches tops before I need a break.

I'm not usually around the Xbox (it's my brother's back home while I'm at school) so I'm still not quite used to playing match after match of any game online. I suppose it's good in the long run, since I shouldn't get burnt out on it as quickly.

Marth on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am soooo getting this day-one. And not just because I work for Activision, but because this game is too awesome not to play. If you don't play it, you are wasting the potential of your xbox 360 to provide you fun, which means you are probably losing money.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I am soooo getting this day-one. And not just because I work for Activision, but because this game is too awesome not to play. If you don't play it, you are wasting the potential of your xbox 360 to provide you fun, which means you are probably losing money.

I don't play car games unless they're completely and utterly unrealistic.

I hope there's a plain old Honda Accord so I can shoot lasers out of my car.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Yes, you have to shield-boost that turn. It is really easy. Either line up for a shield or already have one. Go in to that turn on the far left, parallel to the rail maybe half a car-width away from the rail. Hit the shield and turn LEFT into the rail, and then turn RIGHT once you are clear of it. Cut the sidewalk on the next turn and you are a golden boy.

Remember, the shield makes you frictionless against walls. Use this to shield-boost around turns.

EDIT: Do NOT use this technique on the first lap, because like you said, everyone smashes into the wall. Best bet for the first lap is to get the shield, take that turn conservatively, then use the shield-boost technique on the 3rd corner.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know the bit about the shield making you frictionless on walls. That's good info.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I always just did fancy powerslides around it

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I always just did fancy powerslides around it

That's way too slow, man. If you save a turbo during the first lap, you can hit it right before the shield and jam through that corner while chumps like you former self do fancy power slides around it. Don't be old you, be new fast you.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Me and my truck disagree

TRUCK LIFE

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Do we really have to wait two whole weeks to play this again? Don't they know it's dangerous to take away our fix like that?

Marth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Have they released a full car list yet?

I'm hoping there's a Toyota Camry in there, because that's what I drive and it would be cool to wreck some dudes in my car.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have they released a full car list yet?

I'm hoping there's a Toyota Camry in there, because that's what I drive and it would be cool to wreck some dudes in my car.

Haha, that would just be hilarious to see a camry tearing it up on a track.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ehh, not really any more or less funny than the Ford Focus which is like one of the starter cars.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Does this game have some sort of pre-release review embargo? Why are we 2 weeks out and not a single review is up yet?

Lucascraft on