As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE PORTAL IS FREE - It's actually HL2:EP3 in disguise but don't tell anyone

ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
OP gently borrowed from http://blackopsservers.com/blackops/portal/index.html
So today (3/1/2010) there was an update to portal that has caused an uproar in the community. The main focus are these new sound files.
There are a ton of new sounds found in the GCF.
They are all named dinosaur##.

The Sound files
havethosebeenthere.png

Some of the sounds just sound like screeching. A select few sound like morse code.
The sounds that sound like morse code have been tanslated by the community.

dinosaur1.wav = INTERIOR TRANSMISSION ACTIVE EXTERNAL DATALINE ACTIVE MESSAGE DIGEST ACTIVE

dinosaur5.wav = 9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6
MD5 of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
Try it yourself!

dinosaur12.wav =
SYSTEM DATA DUMP ACTIVE
USER BACKUP ACTIVE
PASSWORD BACKUP ACTIVE

dinosaur17.wav =
BEEP BEEEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEEEP BEEEEP BEEEEP
BEEP BEEEEP BEEP BEEP

This converts to '.-.. --- .-..' which decodes to "LOL"

All of the other sounds can be converted into images?! WTF?!?! Anyway. Heres the app they used to do so.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sv1/files/sonic-visualiser/1.7.1/sonic-visualiser-1.7.1-win32.zip/download

Here are the sounds converted to images for you.

dinosaur2
dino2.png

You can see this equation in the picture above
57619c6a86c79e56ac806faf21502c90.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%27s_law_for_magnetism

dinosaur3
dino3.png

dinosaur4
dino4.png

dinosaur6
dino6t.png

dinosaur7
dino7.png

dinosaur8
dino8.png

dinosaur9
dino9z.png

dinosaur10
dino10.png
BBS = Bulletin board system?

dinosaur11
dino11.png

dinosaur13
dino13.png
Referring to a N-sphere???

dinosaur14
dino14.png

dinosaur15
dino15.png

dinosaur16
dino16.png

dinosaur18
dino18.png

dinosaur19
dino19.png
Phone number layout?

dinosaur20
dino20.png

dinosaur21
dino21.png

dinosaur22
dino22.png

dinosaur23
dino23.png

dinosaur24
dino24.png

dinosaur25
dino25.png

dinosaur26
dino26.png

All Images in one
asdfrt.jpg
Better quality?
portalredone1.png

You can see in some of the pictures there are markers that say stuff like #/32.
Each of these pictures seem to have a number or letter than can be broken down like so.
01/32 - 9
02/32 - 4
03/32 - 5
04/32 - 9
05/32 = C
06/32 = 6
07/32 = C
08/32 = A
09/32 = C
10/32 = 8
11/32 = C
12/32 = 2
13/32 = 0
14/32 = 3
15/32 = B
16/32 = 8
17/32 = 1
18/32 = 2
19/32 = 8
20/32 = B
21/32 = 7
22/32 = C
23/32 = C
24/32 = 6
25/32 = 3
26/32 = 0
27/32 = 6
28/32 = 8
29/32 = D
30/32 = 4
31/32 = F
32/32 = D

From images: 9459C6CAC8C203B8128B7CC63068D4FD
Translates to BBS#: (425) 822-5251
Try it yourself

Audio when trying to call the number = http://www.supload.com/listen?s=tyXqpe

Phone number results
uydn1ftcz_a.png
We can get some Latitude & Logitude

Connecting to that number via telnet =
5wbap.gif

The title of this login screen is GladOS 3.11.
3/11, as in March 11th?
Gabe Newell is set to recieve the Pioneer Award at the Game Developers Choice Awards on 3/11, March 11th.
Possibly we will receive more news on March 11th?

Entering "backup" as the username and password will show
58587004.jpg

People seem to be getting a lot out of this dialup host thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DXvs0NV6uw

Z01I6.png
portalasciilarge2.png

Basically, people have hit a brick wall. BBS connections seem to change in a random pattern and churn out various ANSI images, this is a recollection of them, so far:

ustreamruins.th.png
1550v29.th.png
tz3l7.th.gif
dsgsadgasg.th.png
fyi.th.png
apertureasciihumanbbs.th.png

Impersonator on

• Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Please be Episode 3, please be episode 3....

Blowflu on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm willing to bet there are more passwords than just performing the backup, but who knows.

Edit: Oh, Ep. 3? I'm expecting an entire "Orange Box 2" at this point. Dunno what the 3rd game will be, but seeing as how this will probably be the culmination of the HL2 arc in complete, hopefully it'll be related to that.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It had better be Episode 3, given how long we've been waiting around.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Freeman be Praised! ...maybe

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yay, another ARG. Wake me up when something of substance is announced.

Okay, I guess that's a bit testy. While I understand plenty of people are hardcore into this stuff, I'd just rather Valve announce whatever it is they're trying to do, and then I can start doing the requisite 4-5 year wait for it to come into fruition.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "I cannot stress this enough. Witchcraft will not be tolerated."

Oh that Cave Johnson...

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So Gabe Newell replied to an e-mail about this whole thing... in binary code.

gabewhat.jpg

Translated:
    Title: You will know

Body:
    It will all be known in a near future

Protocol 602

Impersonator on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    left 4 dead 3

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yay, something new to plug into the BBS!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    left 4 dead 3

Hah!

I do hope for another Orange box. Maybe Red this time? Or Blue?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What happened to the days when companies would just announce things or just say, "We're going to announce on this date?" I like new ways to advertise but people are starting to go overboard with it.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »
    left 4 dead 3

Hah!

I do hope for another Orange box. Maybe Red this time? Or Blue?

Honestly, I don't think Valve is going to go any other route, save for the "mainline" games.

I mean, they admitted that calling them Ep. 1/2/3 was a mistake, and they should've been Half Life 3 at this point. But even past that, The Orange Box sold so unbelievably well... and was rated so highly.. that they'd be silly not to try for it again.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So is there any solid information on whether Episode 3 is the last game in the Half Life series? Or is there going to be a HL3 or HL4?

Everybody is so confusing!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So is there any solid information on whether Episode 3 is the last game in the Half Life series? Or is there going to be a HL3 or HL4?

Ep. 3 will be the last "episode" in this arc that is done by Valve themselves and written by the dude who has been writing the HL story from the beginning. There will be a HL3, the way the arc is pointing almost demands it.

There might be more episodes in the future, but they'll deal with other aspects of the world/other characters. To be honest, You could have easily called Portal something like "Half Life Episodes: Portal" and it would've fit. But that would have ruined the surprise.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thats about what I was expecting/hoping. Thanks.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Valve have said that Episode 3 will be the last part of the Half Life 2 saga, but there will be a Half Life 3 - to what it will concern only Valve knows *cue mysterious music*

Edit: Beat me to the punch Athenor :p

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jast wrote: »
    What happened to the days when companies would just announce things or just say, "We're going to announce on this date?" I like new ways to advertise but people are starting to go overboard with it.

These are way more interesting than announcements of an announcement.

Anyway another orange box seems likely, if the game is coming out this fall they could have another multiplayer game packed in. Counter-Strike 2 seems the most likely candidate since they've mentioned it before but that might be overoptimistic.

Zek on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If its HL2: EP3. I sincerely hope they update their interface a little bit. Like maybe adding a grenade button, or a melee button. This has been my hope forever.

I'm also wondering what Ep3 is suppose to do. When we had the original HL2, it was fantastic and new and a display of new technologies. I think it was innovative gameplay.

If they give us the same gameplay I'll be dissapointed.

Graphically they can certainly do some neat things but I doubt anything game breaking, the engine they're using is awesome and has been patched and updated, but its still old hat.

Story wise...well maybe back in the day, HL had an interesting story and all that, but I doubt we'll be getting any kind of good information or closure. We'll probably end up with MORE questions than answers when its all said and done. Which is a shame.

I'll still buy this, and be excited and finish it in one sitting (we all know we're only getting 6 hours of gameplay), but its really time they just finish the story of Gordon and start something new.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Source is old hat?

Ever wonder why it took HL2 so long to come out? It's because they worked to make an engine that would scale properly to whatever tech is thrown at it. And so far, just looking at L4D and TF2.. it's scaled pretty damned well.

And while combining Portal/Gravity gameplay probably will wait forHL 3 (when the physics engine can handle it), for me personally I just want to see the next chapter in the story. Oh, and some wicked-cool snow effects.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It does look great. But I'm pretty tired of switching to a melee weapon to then use the melee weapon, same with grenades.

I just assumed once halo did it with their grenades and meleeing I just assumed all games would follow suit.

Story wise I'm pretty sure we know more about the TF2 world than the HL world.

There was no reason HL2 took so long. Valve just sat on their ass, don't get me wrong, they made an amazing engine. But don't forget that they've patched the hell out of it.

HL strength lies in how they present the game and story to the player. Not the game play itself.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    they could maybe add new weapons

like, at all

maybe make the starting pistol fire bullets and not hardened peas

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It does look great. But I'm pretty tired of switching to a melee weapon to then use the melee weapon, same with grenades.

I just assumed once halo did it with their grenades and meleeing I just assumed all games would follow suit.

Just like I assumed that after Goldeneye all games would feature a free-targeting system? But only a handful of games since have used that system.

At this point, FPS's controls/style are dictated by the designers, not by the engine. There is nothing stopping Valve from adding quick actions. In fact, there never was -- Half Life 2 was released well after Halo.

And for the record? Quick-melee was in Duke Nukem 3D. So by extension all FPS's since 1994 should've had it, right?

Edit: The damage done by the weapons is probably a result of the extremely heavy playtesting and focus groups that Valve does. Just enough oomph to feel satisfying, while still preserving a challenge.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well then I'm ashamed of all FPSes since 1994.

I'm excited for this game. But better games have come and gone.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well then I'm ashamed of all FPSes since 1994.

I'm excited for this game. But better games have come and gone.

I really don't see how quick-melee and quick-grenade make games better. I mean, for things like L4D, having a quick melee makes a ton of sense, and the game does have the option. For a game like HL, where melee is really only for head crabs.. it's not such a big deal. Plus the game uses quick switch on Q, I believe, so it isn't like it is that hard. Hell, half the time I set my mousewheel to just switch weapons automatically.

Neither here nor there, though. Ep. 3 is gonna be a blast, especially as Alyx gets more and more pissed.. as others have said.

Athenor on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Episode 3 should have recharging health.
    I say this in jest yet I know full well that people will agree with that statement because static health is an "outdated" gameplay mechanic.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why is Alyx getting angry?

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love all things like this. I remember getting really hooked on the Year Zero ARG

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because her father is DEEEEEEEEEEEAD!!!
    Jesus Christ!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Because her parents are DEEEEEEEEEEEAD!!!
    Christian_Bale_in_Batman_Begins_Wallpaper_1_1024.jpg

subedii on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I said this multiple times already. Clearly this is an announcement for Gunman Chronicles 2.

Duh.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    I say this in jest yet I know full well that people will agree with that statement because static health is an "outdated" gameplay mechanic.

i don't see why it's taboo to say that half life contains painfully outdated mechanics by now

and that it could stand to add something to the pistol/magnum/smg/AR/shotgun/crossbow/rocket launcher arsenal

Nuzak on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I said this multiple times already. Clearly this is an announcement for Gunman Chronicles 2.

Duh.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited March 2010

i don't see why it's taboo to say that half life contains painfully outdated mechanics by now

and that it could stand to add something to the pistol/magnum/smg/AR/shotgun/crossbow/rocket launcher arsenal

Recharging health is fun! Also I think what I've been horribly trying to say is that yes, HL is built around outdated mechanics.

If I have to drive another freaking horrible vehicle around... I'm going to continue playing, but not enjoy it.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Totally, they should add some kind of crazy gun where you can lift up objects in the world and throw them.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hurr hurr hurr

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hiding images in sound files? Awesome. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A definitive Portal 2 announcement would be incredible.

If Gabe even breathes a word about Episode 3, I'll need a change of boxers.

An Orange Box 2 would seal the deal on needing new pants entirely.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Outdated mechanics? Definitely. I don't believe health regen is one of them.

subedii on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

No matter what they do, whenever they finally relase EP3, by the time anything else HL related comes out, we'll all be long dead.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I have to drive another freaking horrible vehicle around... I'm going to continue playing, but not enjoy it.

That'll show em!

Actually, my only problem with the vehicles in HL2 was the airboat section was slightly longer than it should have been.

I had little to no trouble actually driving them.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.