As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE PORTAL IS FREE - It's actually HL2:EP3 in disguise but don't tell anyone

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know humor is a big part of what makes Portal fun, but the fat short guy, tall skinny guy "two stooges" design of those things seems to be straying a bit too far into cheap slapstick territory.

Just my initial impression anyways.

Darlan on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks super.

That sure is a short video though.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still need to beat Portal. I am just past the twist and around that area where you look into the empty boardroom.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I still need to beat Portal. I am just past the twist and around that area where you look into the empty boardroom.

Uh, youre literally like 20 feet from the end, if i remember correctly

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That could be one of two places, the boardroom with the powerpoint appears twice

LaCabra on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The full GTTV episode has a little more stuff in it, but it's mostly saying stuff that we already know.

PC/PS3 cross platform play is something they want to do, but it isn't confirmed as happening.

Peewi on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    The full GTTV episode has a little more stuff in it, but it's mostly saying stuff that we already know.

PC/PS3 cross platform play is something they want to do, but it isn't confirmed as happening.

Just the fact that they want to do it is something that gets me interested.

If they manage to push through on that, they've pretty much usurped one of GFWL's selling points that they refused to capitalise on. And with MS's competition. And pretty largely because MS decided to can the project to increase cross-platform play support themselves.

I mean imagine if they can introduce cross-platform play as a core component of the Source engine. They do that, introduce Steamworks to PS3 TF2, and all of a sudden there's a huge community.

EDIT: Also, just how many times has Geoff Keighley gone to Valve for a GTTV show now? I think this is the fourth episode they've done at Valve.

Dude must be a pretty big Valve fanboy. IIRC one of his first articles way back when was on the final hours of Half-Life 1 (where he was basically at Valve, again, writing about the hours before release and what they were getting up to).

subedii on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh wait, so the co-op is 2 robots?

The previews I've read made it sound like chell split into 2. o_O

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Buh? It's always been two robots.

I don't remember any previews mentioning two Chells. Man that would be horrible, we'd have no end to the "Chell is an Android / Clone / Her own mother" stuff.

subedii on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's been known that it was two robots right from the start. Their silhouettes could be found in the pre-announcement stuff and I believe the magazine that had the announcement showed drawings of them.

Peewi on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That was just the impression I got from the start. Probably misread it.

I was pretty "WTF" the whole time too.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It's been known that it was two robots right from the start. Their silhouettes could be found in the pre-announcement stuff and I believe the magazine that had the announcement showed drawings of them.

Yeah, IIRC the reasoning was that you'd often be seeing these characters die over and over again. With a human character it just cheapens that aspect of the game.

But if you've got a pair of robots that can just be continuously rebuilt (I think that's how they're going about this?), it's just comedic every time something horrible happens to one of them.

subedii on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am so damn hyped for this game. Also...

... someone in Ukrain reconstructed the trailer music

Download

Flay on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Looks like my saves are gone. I might have transferred them to the laptop. Oh, well. It is good enough to do another play through anyway.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Just the fact that they want to do it is something that gets me interested.

If they manage to push through on that, they've pretty much usurped one of GFWL's selling points that they refused to capitalise on. And with MS's competition. And pretty largely because MS decided to can the project to increase cross-platform play support themselves.

I mean imagine if they can introduce cross-platform play as a core component of the Source engine. They do that, introduce Steamworks to PS3 TF2, and all of a sudden there's a huge community.

EDIT: Also, just how many times has Geoff Keighley gone to Valve for a GTTV show now? I think this is the fourth episode they've done at Valve.

Dude must be a pretty big Valve fanboy. IIRC one of his first articles way back when was on the final hours of Half-Life 1 (where he was basically at Valve, again, writing about the hours before release and what they were getting up to).

I got the impression that the Portal writer was kind of annoyed. I think the interview was a little too impromptu.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't really understand what the hell they're trying to accomplish with the British Sphere. He had an annoying voice, so they replaced it with another British man with an annoying voice. He doesn't say anything funny or insightful. Really, is there a large section of the population who enjoys having an unfunny, annoying British man following them around, talking about things even my mother would find tedious?

I just don't get it, and I sure as hell won't be playing the game if you have to spend a significant amount of game time listening to that shit.

reVerse on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    It was always supposed to be Britishvoice. The original voice was placeholder done by a Valve employee.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, and?

reVerse on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    It's the whole point of the character.

If you don't like it, the best course of action would be to not buy the game

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about. First you tell me something I already knew and talked about in my first post, then you tell me that the sole, singular purpose of the character is... to be British. Not to be interesting or useful... just British.

reVerse on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you brit hater silly goose.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You have, like, zero idea whether or not he is helpful or not.

Jintor on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, and?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The "Wheatley attempts to break the code"-sequence is objectively funny. So there you go!

Also judging based on the footage we have seems a bit premature, doesn't it? You probably just hate brits, that's all

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    he's being played by the guy who starred in and co-created the superior version of the office, so if you call him unfunny again i may have to ask you to check yourself

you know before you wreck yourself

Nuzak on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you don't like what they put in the trailer, though, you probably won't like the game. Since the trailer is supposed to sell you on the game and all

But I think the rest of the game revolves around finding different orbs? So maybe you will like those orbs better

I like Stephen Merchant, though, and I like his character

So

I don't know

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    British orb ball is fine by me.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hoper there is an orb that is just a TF2 character.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's just the Pyro, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fudda fudda fud

Jintor on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have the stupidest Grand Unifying Valve Universe Theme ever.

After they gave up on the whole elite team of mercenaries thing, RED and BLU got into developing SCIENCE! in the hope that the SCIENCE! could be used against each other.

RED founded Black Mesa. BLU founded Aperture Science.

You may now facepalm.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have the stupidest Grand Unifying Valve Universe Theme ever.

After they gave up on the whole elite team of mercenaries thing, RED and BLU got into developing SCIENCE! in the hope that the SCIENCE! could be used against each other.

RED founded Black Mesa. BLU founded Aperture Science.

You may now facepalm.

Heavy is credit to research team?

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which one built Android Chell?
    I KEED!

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I KEED!

I totally can't wait for that absolutely ridiculous over-analyzation of the game's plot come release. The Portal thread was all sorts of crazy stupid when the Orange Box came out.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I KEED!

Mann Industries supplied surplus military hardware to both groups, who then modified them to be effective/cute.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know if there's a new thread.

I don't think there is.

But I just saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVnBQlOgWv8

And it is delicious.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Portal 2 multiplayer is going to be such a clusterfuck.

NONONO SHOOT THE BLUE PORTAL AT THAT WALL

NONONO THE OTHER WAY

NOW THE ORANGE PORTAL

FUCK WE GOTTA START ALL OVER

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's actually a tool to highlight exactly where you want your partner to shoot a Portal.

august on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    august wrote: »
    There's actually a tool to highlight exactly where you want your partner to shoot a Portal.

And that still won't stop the horribly, horribly hilarious deaths.

Undead Scottsman on