As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE PORTAL IS FREE - It's actually HL2:EP3 in disguise but don't tell anyone

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man, you're so fucking funny Fawst. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OH SHIT

I swear that was absolutely the wrong link!!! lol I'm fixing my post now.

EDIT: Fix'd. I was in two different windows when I copied that, oops. As for that being a bannable offense... seriously? I love this forum, but damn.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    OH SHIT

I swear that was absolutely the wrong link!!! lol I'm fixing my post now.

EDIT: Fix'd. I was in two different windows when I copied that, oops. As for that being a bannable offense... seriously? I love this forum, but damn.

It's banable on nearly every forum now days

Why did you even have a Rick Roll tab open :P

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If you look at the YouTube page for the one I MEANT to post, you'll see the Rick Roll link to the right. I usually middle click to open a new tab. 1,000,000 barrels sounded kinda badass, but the fucker obviously got me too :)

AAAAAAAnyways, moving on... what's the deal with the Borealis again? When was that even mentioned in the game?

Fawst on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AAAAAAAnyways, moving on... what's the deal with the Borealis again? When was that even mentioned in the game?

In Portal? I don't think it ever was.

It was talked about in Episode 2 though.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well there we go. I never did play Episode 2 :) That's why I've been so confused with people referencing it, because I thought for sure I had looked at every possible line of text present in Portal.

Fawst on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You should go ahead and play Episode 2. And 1. And HL2. Just do a marathon.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    You should go ahead and play Episode 2. And 1. And HL2. Just do a marathon.

If you want to do a complete play order including portal, I recommend Hl1 (optional), HL2, HL2 ep1, Portal, HL2 ep 2.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd recommend doing portal after Episode 2. That way you don't interrupt the flow of the HL2 story, and I think it's more interesting to HEAR about aperature science before you actually experience some of their handywork. Doing it the other way around makes it feel kinda like a throw-in reference, IMO.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Or else you could just wait until they finally announce Episode 3, because we've been left hanging for about 3 years now.

Goodness knows what they're up to at Valve. They must be doing something Half-Life related, but they've kept studiously quiet about the whole thing so far.

They're hiding something from the rest of us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLjwSpZ6Cs

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm in the middle of my second ever (read: first fully playable, as my original run was around 15 fps or less at times) HL2 run. I just got into the Citadel, so I'm finally at the end. Forgot how long this game is!

I played through Portal on the 360 and beat that game into the ground. I LOVED it. Can't wait for 2. Kinda sucks that it's 8 bucks for each episode, but whatever. Thankfully, my work computer with its terrible graphics card is enough to handle it. Ahhh, the benefits of being the IT/admin for a company that only has four full-time employees, including you...

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You could just buy the Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 alone is well worth the price. And I say that as a person who never even planned to play Team Fortress 2 originally.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can you get the Orange Box for PC? I'd rather play TF2 on the platform that actually benefits from Valve updates :)

Fawst on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can you get the Orange Box for PC? I'd rather play TF2 on the platform that actually benefits from Valve updates :)

Yes indeedy.

steampowered.com

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes, Orange Box on PC = the best.

I still have to play through the HL episodes. I have been lazy.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I've been playing through HL2 again here at work. They reeeeeeeeally need to up their game on the storyline front. It's amusing to me that their two least "story-based" games, Portal and Left 4 Dead, have infinitely more character and story to follow than HL2.

To be fair, HL2 still blows me away with some of the detail they put into it. I remember thinking it was the most amazing looking game of all time when it first came out. Now... well... not so much. But it's still impressive.

I still remember the first time messing around with the physics using console commands. Making barrels fly around was so cool!!!

Now it had better be standard or the game flops, apparently.

To be a fair, a lot of time has passed since the Source engine came out. While it's still great for mods, that doesn't change the fact that physics are often more elaborate in other shooters.

That, and thousands of exploding barrels are....pretty much the oldest physics trick ever.

This is very true, I miss those days...

Wait, they're still here!

I never get tired of them.

Exactly. I don't even really like Crysis, but that is how you do exploding barrels today.

Then again, when you consider the time lapse between HL2 and this, there better be some improvement. Progress marches on--or put in other words, go big or go home.

In complete honesty, I had significantly more fun with HL2 than I did with Crysis or Crysis Warhead--but I've yet to see any orange barrels in Source come close to that meticulous nightmare of beauty. Nowhere near.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    A gravity gun that spawns barrels?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's...actually not as cool as it sounds. Since the previous GG can just as easily pick up a barrel and fling it--which is pretty much what'd you'd do, since you could pick it up without one if you were just doing that. So it's not much different from having a gravity gun and a whole mountain of barrels nearby. I guess you could do it faster...

So, yeah, not close. But that's in part because of the GG's long-established effectiveness.

EDIT: Though I think it's now clear what the already excellent V:TM needed more of, in it's super-early use of the Source engine--exploding barrels. Am I the only one who played through that game and thought, besides the great facial animations, there wasn't much of a reason to put it in Source, because you don't really use the physics and have constrained environments? Tossing a can to try and distract someone always seemed useless.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was just joking. :lol:

Anyway last time I remember hearing anything about Ep3 was way back when gametrailers TV went to Valve just after the Orange Box had launched and they were discussing what would be going on with Ep3. A rough transcript of that would be.

Gabe Newell: "From our point of view there's enough newness in there that we want to sort of spring it on people and say here's a bunch of things you've never seen before, have multiple of those"

Geoff Keighley:"Visually or gameplay-wise...?"

Gabe Newell: "There's stuff that visually hasn't been in games before and there's certainly a bunch of game elements, on the order of Portal, that have never been done before."

Geoff Keighley:"So even better than the Portal gun?"

Gabe Newell: "Oh yeah"

Geoff Keighley:"Really? New gameplay paradigms?"

Gabe Newell: "Uh-huh."

So take that as you will. Bear in mind this interview was years ago and anything and everything they were planning on doing with Ep3 could have changed by now. It might not be as big as we hope. Then again, it could be that they're taking so long specifically because they know they have to drop something big with this one.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, it wasn't as impressive either way. :P

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Requesting thread title change, because everyone needs to see this. Not only does buying a PS3 version of Portal 2 get you the Steam version as well, but there will be cross-platform play between all versions.

First seen here, but by now it's hit all the major gaming news sites.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419049

subedii on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So technically the thread title is correct, in a way. Buy one get one free!!!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can that post be trusted? There doesn't seem to be a link to an actual press release; at least, not one that I saw in my scanning of the page.

Really awesome move on Valve's part if it's legit, though.

EDIT: Oh, alright. Second page says it's from a press release the guy was sent. Never mind.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Requesting thread title change, because everyone needs to see this. Not only does buying a PS3 version of Portal 2 get you the Steam version as well, but there will be cross-platform play between all versions.

First seen here, but by now it's hit all the major gaming news sites.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419049

If this is true - emphasis on if - I will gladly sign on to that.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    THIS is the next evolution of online gaming. Much like when cable systems went to OnDemand programming, it's exactly what people want. I have a friend who has a Wii and a PC. Can't play L4D2 with him online because I have it on 360. This is just badass if true.

I just wish the Dual Shock 3 didn't suck as bad as it does. Then again, I wish the 360 would get a decent cross pad. *shrug*

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    THIS is the next evolution of online gaming. Much like when cable systems went to OnDemand programming, it's exactly what people want. I have a friend who has a Wii and a PC. Can't play L4D2 with him online because I have it on 360. This is just badass if true.

I just wish the Dual Shock 3 didn't suck as bad as it does. Then again, I wish the 360 would get a decent cross pad. *shrug*

The Dual Shock 3 is the best current gen controller available.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was I would bet that Portal 2 will have support for USB KBAM. Since Portal 2 doesn't have competitive multiplayer I don't think an input difference will really matter.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got the same press release.

It's true.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LewieP wrote: »

It's true.

:o:o:o:o:o

This is my opinion: I have to disagree. It is uncomfortable as all get out, way too small. The L2 and R2 are slippery and painful to hold down (for racing games) for extended periods of time. This is solved with a third party attachment on the shoulder buttons, but it is still not ideal.

Definitely far from the best for me. I don't own an XBox360 though, so this is just as a PS3 user.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also means that probably it will be cheaper to buy the PS3 version, get the free PC/Mac version, then trade in the PS3 version.

LewieP on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hopefully move compat. I assume so since we saw that razor motion controller movie.

deveric on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    deveric wrote: »
    Hopefully move compat. I assume so since we saw that razor motion controller movie.

Depending on the versatility and usefulness of the device, this game might sell me a move.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got one for xmas, echochrome 2 is insanely fun in move. just wish i had more time for it. but yeah, portal move would be insanely fun

deveric on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's true.

:o:o:o:o:o

This is my opinion: I have to disagree. It is uncomfortable as all get out, way too small. The L2 and R2 are slippery and painful to hold down (for racing games) for extended periods of time. This is solved with a third party attachment on the shoulder buttons, but it is still not ideal.

Definitely far from the best for me. I don't own an XBox360 though, so this is just as a PS3 user.

I just finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on the PS3, and even after like 33 hours of gameplay I still found the controller very uncomfortable. Gah.

edit: And I hate the DS design in general for FPSes. If they just put divots or indents (or whatever you call them) at the top of the analog sticks, it would be vastly improved.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also means that probably it will be cheaper to buy the PS3 version, get the free PC/Mac version, then trade in the PS3 version.

$60 for the PS3 version plus a brand new game trade will get you at least $20 in in-store credit. Or you can just flip it on craigslist for $40 and get a brand new PC copy of Portal 2 for only $10.

Odds are Valve has already thought of that though, since they mention linking your PSN and Steam accounts. They must have some kind of solution up their sleeve.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

$60 for the PS3 version plus a brand new game trade will get you at least $20 in in-store credit. Or you can just flip it on craigslist for $40 and get a brand new PC copy of Portal 2 for only $10.

Odds are Valve has already thought of that though, since they mention linking your PSN and Steam accounts. They must have some kind of solution up their sleeve.

The game comes packaged with a biometric blood analysis USB dongle for the PS3. You have to prick your finger on the dongle when you first register the game on Steam and it analyzes and stores your genetic information. After that, you have to prick your finger on the dongle every time you want to play the game on the PS3 and if you aren't the original registrant, the dongle will explode your hand off.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    On topic: Awesome, it's real!!!

Off topic: Give me a 360 Slim controller with the cross pad replaced with a DS3's and you have one of the greatest controllers ever made. Give it the SNES cross pad and it is THE greatest controller ever.

Back on topic: KBAM controls should absolutely be an option on any system. Their absence is a smack in the face to gamers everywhere. Portal was definitely playable on the 360 with a controller, but I can only imagine how much better the challenge modes would have been with KBAM. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, they both have their place in the pantheon of control schemes. I'm just saying the option would be nice.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Drez wrote: »

The game comes packaged with a biometric blood analysis USB dongle for the PS3. You have to prick your finger on the dongle when you first register the game on Steam and it analyzes and stores your genetic information. After that, you have to prick your finger on the dongle every time you want to play the game on the PS3 and if you aren't the original registrant, the dongle will explode your hand off.

On the plus side, it also checks your blood glucose levels and tests your DNA for several predispositions to various diseases and other genetic faults, the results of which GLaDOS will not hesitate to inform you of.

SmokeStacks on