As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FREE PORTAL IS FREE - It's actually HL2:EP3 in disguise but don't tell anyone

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "I see that you are a retarded dwarf mutant, ha ha ha"

"Fuck you, GLaDOS!"

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Also means that probably it will be cheaper to buy the PS3 version, get the free PC/Mac version, then trade in the PS3 version.

$60 for the PS3 version plus a brand new game trade will get you at least $20 in in-store credit. Or you can just flip it on craigslist for $40 and get a brand new PC copy of Portal 2 for only $10.

Odds are Valve has already thought of that though, since they mention linking your PSN and Steam accounts. They must have some kind of solution up their sleeve.

The game comes packaged with a biometric blood analysis USB dongle for the PS3. You have to prick your finger on the dongle when you first register the game on Steam and it analyzes and stores your genetic information. After that, you have to prick your finger on the dongle every time you want to play the game on the PS3 and if you aren't the original registrant, the dongle will explode your hand off.

On the plus side, it also checks your blood glucose levels and tests your DNA for several predispositions to various diseases and other genetic faults, the results of which GLaDOS will not hesitate to inform you of.

Unfortunately, GlaDOS will also tell you that you have cancer whether or not you actually have it.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So is that Hydra controller only available for the PC versions? I'd like to get the PS3 version but not sure if I want to dish out more money for a PS3 Move controller.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Also means that probably it will be cheaper to buy the PS3 version, get the free PC/Mac version, then trade in the PS3 version.

$60 for the PS3 version plus a brand new game trade will get you at least $20 in in-store credit. Or you can just flip it on craigslist for $40 and get a brand new PC copy of Portal 2 for only $10.

Odds are Valve has already thought of that though, since they mention linking your PSN and Steam accounts. They must have some kind of solution up their sleeve.

The game comes packaged with a biometric blood analysis USB dongle for the PS3. You have to prick your finger on the dongle when you first register the game on Steam and it analyzes and stores your genetic information. After that, you have to prick your finger on the dongle every time you want to play the game on the PS3 and if you aren't the original registrant, the dongle will explode your hand off.

On the plus side, it also checks your blood glucose levels and tests your DNA for several predispositions to various diseases and other genetic faults, the results of which GLaDOS will not hesitate to inform you of.

And your friends and next of kin too!

subedii on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whether its the PS3 or the 360 (large or smaller) controllers, I never liked the idea or exectuation of the "triggers". I much prefer actual buttons with shorter distances between "starting" and "ending" points.

Think of it like a guitar with high action between the fret and string. Sure I can press harder to get the job done, but my god, why should I have to.
    That's what she said.
    I'm so sorry.

Decoy on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    deveric wrote: »
    Hopefully move compat. I assume so since we saw that razor motion controller movie.

Depending on the versatility and usefulness of the device, this game might sell me a move.

Yeah Move support seems like a gimme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5qMRiQSLA

While I'd still probably prefer a KBAM, that certainly looks less painful to use than standard twin stick aiming.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd almost prefer to use the Razer device - to the move, that is. It looks more precise, but I'll hold my speculation until more information is released I guess.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd almost prefer to use the Razer device - to the move, that is. It looks more precise, but I'll hold my speculation until more information is released I guess.

The razer might be a little more precise, but the Move is still a fairly precise device. At least from the somewhat limited amount of time I've used mine so far.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But I wonder if the Razor is compatible with a PS3. Probably not but man I wish that would work.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    proyebat wrote: »
    But I wonder if the Razor is compatible with a PS3. Probably not but man I wish that would work.

I think the Razer Sixense True Motion (god what a terrible name) is PC only. The point is, if the game supports motion control with Sixense, it should support Move no problem.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I think the Razer Sixense True Motion (god what a terrible name) is PC only. The point is, if the game supports motion control with Sixense, it should support Move no problem.

I'm pretty sure they changed the name to Razer Hydra, which, while less stupid sounding gives you no idea what the thing is.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they changed the name to Razer Hydra, which, while less stupid sounding gives you no idea what the thing is.

It has 6 heads! Or axis, w/e.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It always just makes me think of this:
    Hydra_concept_art.jpg

Then it makes me wish they could find a way to implement the creature into the games.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That looks like that thing that got cut from HL2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It is. It was called the Hydra initially.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well there we go.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ps3 buyers of portal 2 get the pc version free.

How awesome is that?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286433.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B4

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You see, this is precisely why I said we need a thread title change.

subedii on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    You see, this is precisely why I said we need a thread title change.

You should have just made a new thread, this one is nearly dead.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I haven't seen a thread specifically for Portal 2 and I'm too lazy to make one. Valve has put out a video on Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5I3VnCHWsU

If you pre-order, you apparently get special skins for the co-op robots. And apparently their names are Atlas and P-body.
    li7W6.jpg

The website is listing preorder stuff, but it isn't up on Steam yet.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh jesus, I'm all over those skins. Damn. They look rad, like a punch of podracer kids got unleashed on them or something.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fuck, Gamestop has a different skin. I got the previous image from CDON.
    HvWog.jpg
    While it's just skins, retailer specific pre-order bonuses are the worst and I hope they'll be available on Steam after release.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    God. Fucking. Dammit. All. To. HELL AND RAGHGLBALGHABLAGHBALGHABLHGBAL.

I hate pre-order exclusives.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heh, I saw those pics and immediately thought this
    li7W6.jpg
    looked like a Pac-Man ghost.

Odd that they don't have the pre-order up on Steam yet, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Odd that they don't have the pre-order up on Steam yet, though.

I want to say that I'm surprised, but we all know that Valve aren't exactly known for being fast.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dang, retail-specific pre-order bonus? Awful.

I guess it is time to ask for a day off work then.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

EA still controls retail distro for Valve, right? That might be the reason.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Athenor wrote: »

EA has the retail publishing rights: that doesn't mean they can force Valve to make or implement content. Valve had to choose to make these skins.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

EA has the retail publishing rights: that doesn't mean they can force Valve to make or implement content. Valve had to choose to make these skins.

The term force is a unique one. Perhaps the retailers forced EA to have the exclusives, or they wouldn't distro the games? Perhaps the skins are going to come in the PC game regardless, but for the consoles they are going to be dlc? We don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Edit: Well, that is, until valve responds to its fans in some capacity, which it always has in the past.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2011

The term force is a unique one. Perhaps the retailers forced EA to have the exclusives, or they wouldn't distro the games?

You really think Gamestop is going to, under ANY circumstances, NOT sell Portal 2? Like, for serious? :D

EDIT: Here's a question. I know a lot of people who were going to take advantage of the "Free PC copy with the PS3 copy" thing, but are the skin codes going to translate between the PS3 and Steam?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

The term force is a unique one. Perhaps the retailers forced EA to have the exclusives, or they wouldn't distro the games?

You really think Gamestop is going to, under ANY circumstances, NOT sell Portal 2? Like, for serious? :D

It's a PC game, why not? :D And Steam is one of Gamestop's biggest competitors, no matter what anyone says.

(Plus I've heard of Gamestop doing some things along these lines with pre-order bonuses in the past. Unfortunately, I can't quote specifics because I'm not sure where I heard those things, so I may just be rumor-mongering, but it seems credible in my mind.)

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The term force is a unique one. Perhaps the retailers forced EA to have the exclusives, or they wouldn't distro the games? Perhaps the skins are going to come in the PC game regardless, but for the consoles they are going to be dlc? We don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Edit: Well, that is, until valve responds to its fans in some capacity, which it always has in the past.

I didn't check Gamestop, but CDON lists the skin as a pre-order bonus for the PC version. It's not like it's the first time a Valve game has a pre-order bonus, Left 4 Dead 2 had the baseball bat. It is however the first time Valve has different bonuses for different retailers.

How common is it for pre-order bonuses to be made available as paid DLC afterwards? The only case I know of is Dead Rising 2 and that took a while after release before it happened.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It's a PC game, why not? :D

(Plus I've heard of Gamestop doing some things along these lines with pre-order bonuses in the past. Unfortunately, I can't quote specifics because I'm not sure where I heard those things, so I may just be rumor-mongering, but it seems credible in my mind.)

It's also for 360 and PS3.

And maybe they'd pull that crap for some game made by a third tier company, but there's NO WAY that Gamestop would choose to be the only retailer who wasn't carrying a game of Portal 2's popularity. They stand to lose more money than they would gain if they try to take that ball and go home.

EDIT: Transformers: War for Cybertron had all the preorder skins available in the first DLC pack, IIRC.

Valve eventually made the L4D2 preorder stuff available to everyone like a year after the fact, so I suppose I shouldn't be too up in arms.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    also there will be a million skins modded in on the PC anyway

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Htown wrote: »
    also there will be a million skins modded in on the PC anyway

Yeah, but are they just going to be visible on your computer, or will the game actually have more extensive mod capabilities than the first game?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of mods, are there any decent custom maps for Portal out there? I tried a few at some point, but I don't remember what any of them were called.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of mods, are there any decent custom maps for Portal out there? I tried a few at some point, but I don't remember what any of them were called.

I only remember one that got a lot of rave reviews but it turns out it was just a bunch of elitist maps of the creator saying, "If you're too dumb to play it then just give up."

Or something.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

There's a map pack based on the flash version here: link. From what I remember it's longer and more difficult than the original game. It includes a few new elements like walls you can shoot through but not walk through.

hacksword on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apparently there's a cover for a french magazine that shows a slight redesign of Chell. She can also be seen from behind on the Portal 2 website.

Maybe I should just make a proper Portal 2 thread.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think you probably should. We're getting closer to release, and this is full of misinformation.

Icemopper on