As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thanks, [chat]

1646566676870»

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OK Go is playing in Brooklyn on April 30th. I request interested parties.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    The Avengers are pretty much the flagship title for Marvel. I agree that there is going to have to be some huge strides for Thor and Cap as far as movies but the same was said about Iron Man before it came out and look how that turned out. I think Marvel made a good move with going on it's own as far as production and got away from Sony. I think though that if they can get anywhere near the acclaim with Thor and Cap that they did with Iron Man that an Avengers movie would pretty much be a cash cow for them in the end.

yeah iron man was a surprise - it was not a movie i expected to enjoy.

kind of feels like lightning in a bottle though, since the Fantastic Four movie seemed to have the same sort of light-hearted premise and story and completely fell flat.

i dunno. i will probably go see the captain america and thor movies if they ever see the light of day but i do expect them to suck

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Should I watch the rebooted Star Trek?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yams there is a tentative gettogether planned for April 2

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why was the dark knight such a great movie?

Maybe I just watched it after hearing too much "oh my god it's awesome" but nothing about it made me go "Man, what a good movie." It wasn't bad, I guess, but I dunno.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For example, the ending of Ultimate Marvel comic mini-series Ultimatum hinged on a giant retcon:
    In the Ultimate Universe, all Mutants are not people who have evolved superpowers but rather the products of the Super-Soldier program gone wild, which is why they don't exist prior to World War II.

That is a retcon. It's not a plot twist, like they had always planned that to be the case. It was something they made up while writing Ultimatum and slammed it into the story to re-write the entire history of most of the Ultimate comic book series.

That is a retcon. I hate retcons. Retcons can be easily distinguished from plot twists by the fact that retcons are basically just made up at the time to change something already established whereas a plot twist was planned in advance to reveal a detail that changes your perception of how what you saw before really is.

For example, the end of the Sixth Sense is a plot twist.

The end of Brand New Day is a retcon.

Retcons are pretty much almost universally awful.

Pony on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Like I enjoy the current status of Batman

Spoiler. Kind of.

Previous Robin Dick Grayson who went onto become the Hero Nightwing (really good stuff btw) is currently dressing up as Batman and running around with Bruce's son who is dressed as Robin to promulgate the legend of Batman and Robin in Bruce's absence.

Didn't Bruce Wayne like
    die, then come back as a zombie joining the evil counterpart to the green lanterns

or something silly like that?
    That's a clone that was made by Darkseid's minions during Final Crisis. From what I understand Bruce is actually back in time right now or something to that effect. Like...waaaaay back in time.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    they're doing a superman reboot apparently

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

very fun action movie. lots of funny lines, great action scenes.

not really the kind of thing you'd enjoy in the same way as, you know, the actual star trek shows

but perfectly good

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am suddenly picturing japan as Michael Caine

I am suddenly intensely jealous of Bob

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

yessss

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Arch is amazing and better than Drez.

I agree with you. I am amazing.

But I already knew this.

I know. I humbly apologize for imparting information you were already privy too.

That's okay then. You are forgiven.

Note: Extensive rewrite. Had to keep everything in line for future posts/threads.

Pretty good work there

NOTE: I made some revisions

Arch on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yams there is a tentative gettogether planned for April 2

Where and what time?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the fact that the Metal Gear series was retconned a ton in the Metal Gear Solid series.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with using a retcon if it fixes something that was really stupid about a character, or if it otherwise makes the story or game more enjoyable.

I disagree with you.

Occasionally you're not paying attention and then Brannon Braga sticks his dick in your canon and you need a reboot to wash away the diseased semen.

Edit: oh, you said retcon, not reboot, sorry.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    they're doing a superman reboot apparently

Well did you see the last one?

Oh gods

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Why was the dark knight such a great movie?

Maybe I just watched it after hearing too much "oh my god it's awesome" but nothing about it made me go "Man, what a good movie." It wasn't bad, I guess, but I dunno.

Abdhy I get the sense that hype can pretty much set up your viewing standards to something that basically diminishes what you ultimately see.

Pony on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think the only superhero comic I've really read is civil war

and that was I don't need your civil war, instead

gotta say, civil war has such a horrible plot

As in Marvel Civil War? The recent one? Yeah that's not a good plotline. I only follow comics a bit now but Marvel has a problem now where they are creating company wide macro-storylines too much. They used to do that in the summer for a portion of their comics (all the NY based ones, say, or all the X-titles) but now its all over the map. The Ultimate Universe runs much smoother but I think its less about removing all the backstory and more letting each comic do its thing.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Captain America is dumb as hell.

Some is good, some is not.

Right now, mostly not.

Captain America, dumb recent retcon aside, has been one of the best books Marvel has put out over the last five years. Seriously, everything from the new number one up till Reborn was solid fucking gold and the best the book has ever been.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by the idea of conformity as a desirable goal (in the social sense, conformity to rules that prevent harm is obviously desirable).

Will was retconned into an Asian
    nuh uh

my soul was forcibly channeled into the body of a ninja

so i kept all my psychic and intellectual powers

but also now can do ninja shit too!

totally not a retcon.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I am suddenly picturing japan as Michael Caine

I am suddenly intensely jealous of Bob

039_9427~Michael-Caine-Posters.jpg

Kinda jealous too.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    There's been like. . three major retcons in the DC universe.

Marvel. Well aside from Brand New Day they were doing just fine.

Image Comics is tearing shit up with Robert Kirkman.

Captain America: Reborn.

Pretty major retcon in the MU that was also awful.

Isn't Bucky the current cap?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i guess i should close this chat

someone start her back up

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.