As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cheney and Daughter: Eliminating the Bill of Rights, One At A Time

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So as we know, former Vice President Dick Cheney is an admitted war criminal (waterboarding is a war crime, he ordered water boarding). His daughter is a piece of work and founded a lobbying group to "keep America safe" by which she means deny rights to Muslims. And keep Daddy out of jail. Their latest attack has been on seven attorneys who defended inmates at Guantanamo.

In a real fine advertisement, the most repelling one I've seen in my life (worse even than the one that ended Max Cleland's Senate career), they've labeled these guys the "Al Qaeda 7." For doing what they're supposed to do and mounting the best defense they could of inmates the right wing authoritarians (and some members of the current administration) in this country assume are guilty because the government calls them terrorists.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxg7LmlEQg&feature=player_embedded

The names of the attorneys were released by Justice, and I'm sure those attorneys will now be stalked by O'Reilly's goons and have their personal lives invaded by Malkin's readers. And God help us when Red State gets around to finding it.

Naturally, this became a topic on the cable networks. And naturally the Cheney message was the one that they took. Let's check out the Situtation Room's masterful use of the Cavuto Mark:

wolfblitzer-cropped-proto-custom_8.jpg

This is why we need to prosecute the war criminals of the last administration. It's not in the past. They're still here, they're still trying to destroy the Bill of Rights, and they must be stopped. They also have the full support of the Washington establishment like CNN, who cheered along these practices while they were happening because they were fucking terrified that they personally would be targeted by scary Muslims.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh for fuck's sake.

mcdermott on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some times I really wish the Left in this country had the collective lack morals and class that the Right uses so well on shit like this.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really? I wish the Left had the balls to walk up to their cameras and say: "Hey, you silly geese, shut the fuck up. You were wrong then, you're wrong now, and you'll be wrong in the future. SHUT. THE FUCK. UP."

Tach on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lol wuts due process

nescientist on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    Really? I wish the Left had the balls to walk up to their cameras and say: "Hey, you silly geese, shut the fuck up. You were wrong then, you're wrong now, and you'll be wrong in the future. SHUT. THE FUCK. UP."

I more wish we had the balls the hand down some indictments.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2010

I also wish more people had the balls to convict them.

Then I wish more people had the balls to stab them to death in the shower.

Except not really, because unlike them I'm a decent fucking human being.

mcdermott on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bum you silly goose you've spiked my blood pressure!

fuck that, goddamn silly geese cheney silly goose that's ever silly goosed a goose

No-Quarter on
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some charges really need to be laid over this. I don't really see whats going to stop the next republican president from pulling the same shit.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

I also wish more people had the balls to convict them.

Then I wish more people had the balls to stab them to death in the shower.

Except not really, because unlike them I'm a decent fucking human being.

I suspect the conviction wouldn't be that hard. Cheney is a war criminal unless the jury decided that America! Fuck Yeah! is a legal precedent.

Which, now that I think about it, might be hard.

enlightenedbum on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lol wuts due process

The don't deserve constitutional rights.

Couscous on
    edited March 2010
    Qliphoth wrote: »
    Some charges really need to be laid over this. I don't really see whats going to stop the next republican president from pulling the same shit.

Or any President. I give a fuck what party. Hell, I'm pretty sure Obama is still continuing some of the terrible and only kinda-sorta-legal bullshit that the Bush administration was pulling.

mcdermott on
    edited March 2010

Or any President. I give a fuck what party. Hell, I'm pretty sure Obama is still continuing some of the terrible and only kinda-sorta-legal bullshit that the Bush administration was pulling.

My favorite claimed power from the Obama Presidency is "post acquittal detention authority."

Narrowly beating out "Oh, we can assassinate American citizens if we think they're terrorists and aren't on American soil."

enlightenedbum on
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

True. If theres another terrorist attack on the US wouldn't surprise me if Obama used that as an excuse to return the ways of Bush.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010

True. If theres another terrorist attack on the US wouldn't surprise me if Obama used that as an excuse to return the ways of Bush.

Wait what ways would he be returning to, exactly? My understanding has been that the Executive Branch hasn't really given up any of the extraordinary powers granted under Bush, which I find disappointing, but entirely unsurprising - and I like Obama.

nescientist on
    edited March 2010

Wait what ways would he be returning to, exactly? My understanding has been that the Executive Branch hasn't really given up any of the extraordinary powers granted under Bush, which I find disappointing, but entirely unsurprising - and I like Obama.

We think we don't torture anymore. We're reasonably sure, though Bagram is a little concerning.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2010

We think we don't torture anymore. We're reasonably sure, though Bagram is a little concerning.

Right, but that wasn't (IIRC) specifically a matter of executive privilege, but rather a clusterfuck that all three branches of the federal government (but particularly our clandestine and military services) share responsibility in creating and perpetuating.

nescientist on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I could have sworn he gave up several within the first two months of the term

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is only one human being on Earth I wish ill to every day.

Dick Cheney.

Shit like this is why I do that. And there will come a day when all of this karma is going to get back at him.
    It's people like him, who let people get away with war crimes and torture, and who persecute the people who are actually defending people who may or may not be terrorists and who are just doing their jobs... these people will be the downfall of the United States if something doesn't change and these evil people are made to bear for this.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited March 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

I could have sworn he gave up several within the first two months of the term

"Gave up" or simply "stopped actively using?" There's a pretty big difference. Though yes, I believe he did give up at least a couple trivial things.

mcdermott on
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But guys, those powers that Bush gave the branch could be just so gosh darned useful.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    edited March 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    lol wuts due process
    No one's saying they shouldn't have legal representation, just that no real American would want to take on the job.

And anyone who did should be tarred and feathered.

enlightenedbum on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really hope the Onion News Network "finds 4 more suspected lawyers who might be members of Al Queda" and dubs them "Al Queda's Eleven".

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Can you guys start torturing again please?

Just Cheney and the crowd from Keep America Safe.

kthnx

shryke on