As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Algebraically retarded

DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tieAhhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Good morning H/A,

I have these values that have been discounted 35% of x and I need to find x. I haven't had my coffee yet and just thought of this approach in the shower. It's a good approach, but every way I look at the actual math in the fog of morning, I just can't crack it.

plz halp.

Deebaser on

• Options
    FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bad math was here
    see below.

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The way I'm reading it is that you've got some value (let's say 65) that's been discounted 35% and you want to know the original value (basically a problem like "You go to the store and see a lol on sale for $65, it's been marked down 35% of the original price, what was the original price?")

Maybe? If that's the case you're going to take your discounted value (which is actually equal to 65% of the original price, since it's discounted by 35%) and divide it by that percentage, so 65/.65 says that original cost (x) is $100.

This would look like values=.65x, where your values are already discounted by 35%.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, hopefully it helped some.

Edited for bad grammar. It's a math thread, but that's no excuse

milehigh on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep. One simple way to think of it is that to apply a 35% discount you multiply the original cost x by (100% - 35%), so to undo that you reverse the operation.

x * (1 - .35) = <your value>

x = <your value> / (1 - .35)

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That is exactly it, Funky!
    Thank you very much everyone. I should probably be ashamed of myself.

Please lock.

Deebaser on