As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LF: game on laptop, not much mouse input needed, easy to start playing

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A,

I'm going on a ~8 hour flight to India in a few days and I'll have my laptop with me. I'll be using it to read some articles for my thesis, but I think I also want to do some fun things on it. Like a videogame!

Of course I can't roll out the mouse in such a cramped space, so it'll have to be a game I can operate by way of hotkeys and touchpad. My laptop is 4 years old and as an indication of it's quality: it managed to run WoW on medium detail (this was 4 years ago, dunno how the settings have changed since then).

I like most genres of videogames, but it has to be a game I can just pick up and play. So longwinded stories are out and getting used to insane UIs and game mechanics should take no longer than half an hour.

So that means Dwarf Fortress and Planescape are out. I've already finished Baldurs Gate 2 a while ago, so I'm not very interested in playing that again either.

Any suggestions?

Aldo on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't played it in quite a while, but I think Knytt Stories was mainly keyboard. And while casual, Peggle can consume a lot of time and I imagine would accept keyboard input instead of mouse.

Quid on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One of the Worms games?

An adventure game? (like something from Telltale)

edit: Oh yeah, Cave Story and La Mulana

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh hey, I'd second Worms. Armageddon was good fun.

Quid on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    civ IV if you shrink the gfx settings down to minimum and only play on a small globe size. Civ 3 or Alpha Centauri otherwise.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Civ4 is great, but it is a pain to play without a mouse and without the 10key pad. One or the other makes it much easier to navigate and interface.

There are tons of java versions of all the classic 80's arcade games. If you want a dose of nostalgia those should play fine and most will only require WASD or arrow keys plus the space bar.

travathian on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just download as many shmups as you can.

These are a good place to start.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I already own civIV and I can't imagine playing it without a mouse or at least a numpad. It's a great suggestion otherwise. I can't remember the controls of the earlier civs, I assume they also relied heavily on click-click-click-ENTER-wait-wait-click-click-click-ENTER etc. :P

Knytt and the other indie platformers are great suggestions, I'll check the appropriate G+T thread.

I'm not too sure about Worms, way back when I was a little kid I played Worms 2...I dunno if I could still appreciate it, but I'll try to find a demo or something.

shmups is a great suggestion, especially after I admitted to digging Valkyrie Sky in the free MMO thread. Thanks for reminding me, Page-!

Classic arcade games can be fun, but with patience, mine sweeper and mahjong on the laptop already I think I'd rather play that. :oops:

Aldo on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Roguelikes that are easy to get into (winning is another thing entirely) :

IVAN
    Simple interface, graphical and easy to wrap your head around. Doesnt stop you from dying horribly and often though.

Prospector
    Space exploration. Outfit a spaceship, explore nebulae, planets, asteroids! Get into combat in space or on the ground! Discover strange new worlds, new civilizations! Die horribly when your fuel runs out!

And of course, Spelunky
    Randomly generated platformer action. Fun times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJPIFKSkuT8

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can definitely play civ4 with a touchpad. It's not as ideal as a mouse of course, but it's not like civ needs a lot of fine control. Also the Fn numpad will work just fine; you don't need those keys for anything else in civ4.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    World of Goo. I can play it reasonably well with just a touchpad. Also, Doom or other older FPS games that don't require mouse look.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All great suggestions, thanks a lot. :D

About CivIV, hmm you're kinda right Dyscord, due to the turn based nature I can take my time to click and select things, but it's more the amount of clicking I'd have to do. I'll have to think it over some more.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you were to become really adroit with the keyboard I think that you almost don't need to use the mouse at all; there are shortcuts for just about everything. The only thing I think that you would really want a mouse function for would be a few menus and moving big groups of units.

Also I don't know why you wouldn't get planescape if you haven't played it already. Yes it's long, but it's not like you have to chew all the way through it during the flight and the amount of reading involved vs. combat would make it a lot more touchpad friendly than BG2.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    If you were to become really adroit with the keyboard I think that you almost don't need to use the mouse at all; there are shortcuts for just about everything. The only thing I think that you would really want a mouse function for would be a few menus and moving big groups of units.

Also I don't know why you wouldn't get planescape if you haven't played it already. Yes it's long, but it's not like you have to chew all the way through it during the flight and the amount of reading involved vs. combat would make it a lot more touchpad friendly than BG2.
    Planescape isn't something you just pick up and play, because you have to read the the story to enjoy it. With games like Spelunky and those shmups you just fire it up and off you go towards a new adventure.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Peggle, World of Goo, Braid, Plants vs Zombies, Cave Story and pretty much any indie game for sale on steam.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EV Nova is a great game that can be almost entirely keyboard-controlled, and wasted a lot more than eight hours of my life. It's not free, though.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One warning on CivIV, I find it makes my graphics cards (on laptops and desktops) work much harder than they should (for basically no graphics) which would be a massive drain on your battery.

Reiten on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    -the latest Heroes of Might and Magic
    -the new Secret of Monkey Island
    -Baldur's Gate, Fallout

Awk on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just tried the Penny-Arcade games as I was looking for something to play that doesn't require me to use a mouse for when I forgot it / in a situation that I can not use one. Was fairly easy to play, and are only $4.99 each.

How comfortable would you be with pulling out a gamepad such as the wired xbox 360 controller? Will allow you to play most games that would require a mouse without much issue, except maybe RTS games.

Sanders on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Just download as many shmups as you can.

These are a good place to start.

Ether Vapor looks amazing, but I can't get it to install. Lame.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've only played Civ4 with a trackpad/no numpad (I'm on a Macbook Pro) - what's the numpad used for?

It can be slow going with a big army, but learning the hotkeys helps a lot.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Heroes of Might and Magic III. Also, it's on GoG.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you have a gaming controller you can use that. That would really widen the number of games you could play.

They don't actually have plugs in airplanes do they...

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't have a gaming controller and I'm not bringing one along for a trip to India. I don't know if they have plugs in airplanes, I don't think they do.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I've installed Worms, downloaded Cave Story, Spelunky and the shmup Die Slave. I think that will tide me over. :D

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Which part of India are you going to, perchance?

I wasn't born there, but my parents were, so I've been there a few times.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pondicherry, a bit south of Chennai.

I'll be super busy there with research and an internship, but all work and no play makes Aldo a dull boy, so I figured I had to put some small games on my laptop at least.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've never been there. But it's probably a lot nicer to the parts I've been to. Living beside a major traffic route in West Bengal is pretty bad.

finnith on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Off topic, but you already have an adaptor/transformer so you'll be able to charge your laptop, right?

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It'll probably run pretty slowly on a laptop (depending on specs) but you might consider Dwarf Fortress. It only uses keyboard commands.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been playing a lot of dungeon crawler stone soup lately. I played it pretty much none stop on a 6 hour flight, it's a neat little rough hack kinda game... Lots of combinations of race/skills to keep it fun.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some late suggestions:

The Typing of the Dead, although it's kind of hard to find now.

Bookworm Adventures, except for the arena or whatever that has a timer.

Text Twist

Text adventures, especially ones from the annual competition since those are generally geared for a relatively short experience

Orogogus on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NetHack!
    Doom RogueLike!
    Ski Free!
    Of course, there's the obligatory emulators and roms too.

L Ron Howard on