As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hot card

Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My graphics card is running extremely hot when I play DoW2 for some reason it will run up to almost 80 celcius. I can play ME2 max settings without it going past 65, I have a 4870 and I run the fan at 40 percent on DoW 2 but only 30 on ME2.

Anything about 40 is blow drier loud. What is going on?

Fizban140 on

• Options
    EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    My graphics card is running extremely hot when I play DoW2 for some reason it will run up to almost 80 celcius. I can play ME2 max settings without it going past 65, I have a 4870 and I run the fan at 40 percent on DoW 2 but only 30 on ME2.

Anything about 40 is blow drier loud. What is going on?

Is the fan free of dust, have you recentally changed your ventilation, and does the computer get full air flow through it.

Have you turned down your settings at all? Is your system able to support the game as a whole. Are you trying to play ideal set up on only minimal?

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I exceed the specs and my computer is clean and the case has good air flow. Turning down the settings does solve the issue but I would like to run it at high settings. I am running at what the game reccomends.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you have an NVIDIA card, and have you updated your driver recently? The new drivers lack fan speed control, and they're burning up cards left and right.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-pulls-196-75-driver-amid-reports-its-frying-graphics-car/

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What card is it? 80 apparently isnt hot for a radeon card. Mine runs about 65 when doing anything with 3d graphics, and i know what you mean about the fan, its ridiculous.

You could try manually setting the fan in the catalyst control center, as dumb as it sounds, turning mine down actually made the card run cooler, i have no idea why (case probably couldnt cycle the air as fast as the card, would be my best guess)

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.