Options

Korean gamers are hardcore. Baby killin's and all.

13»

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    darksteel wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    TaGuelle wrote: »
    People in general have so many demands for their time and energy, they sometimes have very little extra time for themselves. It is normal to wake up for work, go to work for 10 hours, and then be forced to drink and eat with your co-workers and watch your bosses drunkenly perform Karaoke.
    Is that typical in Asia? I've heard about it being routine for the average Japanese salaryman, but I assumed the phenomenon was restricted to that country.
    I can tell you that it is very common in the Philippines, and all of you WILL be singing Frank Sinatra's "My Way". Fucking song is sung so often, people have killed each other for not singing it properly.
    Common in Taiwan, too. They just have a different way of doing things over there, and you don't want to be the only guy who went home rather than to Happy Hours. (Plural intended.)

Could be worse. You could be a female in China and have to put up with the shit they get.

GungHo on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hm, that probably explains why all the other non-English teachers at my school stopped being all buddy buddy with me when I stopped going go those god-awful dinners and noraebong nights (noraebong=singing room).

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it signifies a lack of interest in the school and more importantly your co workers. My school is more laid back and their more optional but thats all dependent on the tone set by the higher ups as I think that is the rule in Korea.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I should probably start going to those things again, if just to hang out with the cute english teacher.
    Anyway ya, back on topic.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    corky842 wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »
    The Korean news is reporting on this death in the context of a larger "game addiction" thing, also talking about a guy who killed his mother because she was nagging him for playing some game.

But yeah, its only getting any extra attention because of the game aspect. There is plenty of child neglect happening everywhere everyday.

That's really what i was gearing for with the post. Was more along the lines of how people can become -that- addicted to online games. I also dont understand why this stuff always happens in Korea and not over in NA. We have a lot of online gaming here too. It just seems we are not quite as hardcore. I guess it also doesn't help that many Korean online games are set up in a way that the player has to "grind" everything for long periods of time to progress. Over here people generally like to do some quests and have fun and log out in my experience.

I wonder how that difference in the mentality behind online gaming between the two cultures sprung up? I mean grindy games tend not to do well here, but thats all they want over there.

That isn't true. It would seem that when people kill over a game it depends on the type of game they play.

I think Elimination meant that people kill when they get pissed off in NA, where in Korea people die because they forget about food.

Pretty much this. I here about people in Asian countries dying over game addictions pretty regularly. Over here we must just be behind the times, shooting/stabbing/beating each other to death. Maybe we should just settle our differences with endurance gaming marathons and see who drops dead first.

Exactly, people kill other people over stupid crap all the time. People have murdered over sneakers, so its no big deal that people have killed over video games. But its a whole different level of crazy when you die from exhaustion while playing a video game, because you can't take any time to sleep or eat.

MMOs are particularly bad because they don't require hand eye coordination. Nobody is going to die playing halo or modern warfare, because their hand eye skills will eventually decrease enough that they will have to quit playing, a built in safety measure.

If the Korean gamers are getting so obsessed about a game that they neglect their child, they probably aren't taking good care of themselves either. If a gamer in America gets obsessed about a game to the point that they will kill a child for spoiling it, surely the two are comparable.

It seems odd to me that killing a child out of malice is seen as a less crazy act than getting so addicted to something that it kills you.

Crazy != Evil

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much this. I here about people in Asian countries dying over game addictions pretty regularly. Over here we must just be behind the times, shooting/stabbing/beating each other to death. Maybe we should just settle our differences with endurance gaming marathons and see who drops dead first.

Exactly, people kill other people over stupid crap all the time. People have murdered over sneakers, so its no big deal that people have killed over video games. But its a whole different level of crazy when you die from exhaustion while playing a video game, because you can't take any time to sleep or eat.

MMOs are particularly bad because they don't require hand eye coordination. Nobody is going to die playing halo or modern warfare, because their hand eye skills will eventually decrease enough that they will have to quit playing, a built in safety measure.

If the Korean gamers are getting so obsessed about a game that they neglect their child, they probably aren't taking good care of themselves either. If a gamer in America gets obsessed about a game to the point that they will kill a child for spoiling it, surely the two are comparable.

It seems odd to me that killing a child out of malice is seen as a less crazy act than getting so addicted to something that it kills you.

Crazy != Evil

So getting obsessed about a video game and killing a child as a result of that obsession is evil and not crazy, or less crazy and more evil? Could you clarify your position?

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Crazy != Evil

So getting obsessed about a video game and killing a child as a result of that obsession is evil and not crazy, or less crazy and more evil? Could you clarify your position?

Killing the president because you think that will win you the love of Jodie Foster is crazy. Killing someone who gets in the way of your needs, desires, wants is logical (from an evolutionary perspective) and evil. People kill over a couple of dollars all the time, killing over a video game is really not that strange. The only reason this case is noteworthy is the whole they were raising a virtual child at the same time there real child was dying, which is very very creepy. Children sadly die of neglect all the time, because there parents are too selfish, self-involved, evil to take care of them, thats not crazy.

Being so obsessed that you can't be bothered to eat or sleep, so that you die of exhaustion while playing a video game is not evil, but is far far beyond killing someone else on the crazy scale.

Is your arguement that everybody who commits murder is crazy? If that is the case remind me never to vote you into any judgeships.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Crazy != Evil

Killing the president because you think that will win you the love of Jodie Foster is crazy. Killing someone who gets in the way of your needs, desires, wants is logical (from an evolutionary perspective) and evil. People kill over a couple of dollars all the time, killing over a video game is really not that strange. The only reason this case is noteworthy is the whole they were raising a virtual child at the same time there real child was dying, which is very very creepy. Children sadly die of neglect all the time, because there parents are too selfish, self-involved, evil to take care of them, thats not crazy.

Being so obsessed that you can't be bothered to eat or sleep, so that you die of exhaustion while playing a video game is not evil, but is far far beyond killing someone else on the crazy scale.

Is your arguement that everybody who commits murder is crazy? If that is the case remind me never to vote you into any judgeships.

Well, I wasn't using 'crazy' in any kind of medical sense, killing someone over something as trivial as a computer game is definitely abnormal behaviour. Valuing a computer game over someone's life is illogical (as prison puts severe restrictions on your ability to fulfil your wants, needs and desires), certainly killing your own child over a computer game would be illogical from an evolutionary perspective.

While not every murderer is crazy, some murderers are crazy and some murderers display crazy behaviour.

Space Coyote on