As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Insurance!

EpiEpi Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I need to get coverage and I don't exactly know what I need.

Quick details that may help:

early 20s male chef
1988 toyota camry
2 speeding violations in the past 3 years.

I did a quick spin on Progressive and they gave me an initial quote of right around $50/month. That seemed reasonable but I don't know what to compare it to.

Also, not sure the extent of coverage I should get. The 50/mo quote was for 50k/100k/50k (person/accident/property) and 10k personal injury protection.

So, are these numbers good? Should I get less/more coverage? What should I be looking to pay?

Muchos gracias

also, recommendations on good companies would be welcome too

Epi on

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That sounds ridiculously cheap. Are you sure you are factoring in the speeding violations on your quote? I have progressive and $50 was the cheapest I ever had even being 25+, good driver discount, and bare minimum coverage on a 1995 Mitsubishi Mirage.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    50 dollars for any guy in their low 20's is a hell of a deal.

I pay 140 dollars with only one ticket.

I would even see if you can add more coverage or lower your deductible.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm also wondering if you've factored in the tickets, because that seems WAY too low with 2 tickets in 3 years.
    If not I'm going to have to look into progressive since I have a clean record...

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Went over the quote process again and the tickets are factored in.

I'd only have insurance for catastrophic. Considering my 88 camry, while I love her to death, isn't worth more than $500 tops, I'm forgoing comprehensive, collision, etc.

$50.85/mo covers the previously mentioned 50k/100k/50k (person/accident/property) and 10k personal injury protection along with 10k per person medical payments and 50k/100k (person/accident) uninsured motorist coverage.

Alternatively:

$61.85/mo covers 100k/300k/100k (person/accident/property) and 25k personal injury protection along with 10k per person medical payments and 100k/300k (person/accident) uninsured motorist coverage.

The slightly pricier seems like it would probably be worthwhile, yeah?

Epi on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A friend of mine who works in the insurance industry told me that you can screw yourself pretty good sometimes if you underinsure, as he's seen it happen. "You can't really have too much insurance."
    If you can afford the extra a month for more coverage, I say go for it. Especially with medical IIRC.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    definitely skip collision, like you already said. Other than that, just shop around. Get online quotes from several different sites, don't stick with the first one you check. Progressive happened to be the cheapest for me, but it's quite possible that some other company could charge you significantly less for similar or the same coverage.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Max out the liability and uninsured motorist. You don't realize it but going from 25k liability to 500k liability is often under $10 a month and infinitely worth it. I bet yours could max out and still be under $60 a month. I have 300/500 I believe, I'm 26, live in CA, 1 ticket, e-surance. $40 / month for my '01 beetle diesel.

Dachshund on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you have health insurance you probably don't need "10k per person medical payments "

EDIT: yeah dude get the $60 one

Dachshund on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dachshund wrote: »
    If you have health insurance you probably don't need "10k per person medical payments "

EDIT: yeah dude get the $60 one

no, thats a good thing to have.

because that 10K comes before your health insurance and doesn't have a deductible.

so if you get into a car accident and you have to go to the hospital because they think you may have a concussion, your car insurance pays for it before your health insurance even sees the bill.

of course, 10k is probably just enough to cover the ambulance ride and emergency room.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm pretty happy with the $60 one as that's with all the liability and uninsured business maxed out.

I was surprised when I ran the same stats on state farm and got quote at $168 for basically the same plan. Are drastic differences like that common?

Epi on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    depends on your state and the difference is probably due to changes in the policy that you aren't aware of (most likely tort).

for instance, I put my information into progressive with the exact same coverage and they're quoting me at 98/mo more than I currently pay with state farm.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I get good prices with Geico, so maybe look into them.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Epi wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm pretty happy with the $60 one as that's with all the liability and uninsured business maxed out.

I was surprised when I ran the same stats on state farm and got quote at $168 for basically the same plan. Are drastic differences like that common?

Yes, they are. Differences across state lines can be that drastic as well, which is why you have some people in forums saying "yeah that's about right" and others saying "no way, that's too low". Like housing prices, people from Ohio boggle at $2500/mo apartments and NYC people boggle at 4-bedroom houses for $150K.

Another benefit of going 100/300 on your liability limits is that's the main way into the upper tier of customer. Companies break people into markets, and the qualifiers to the better (cheaper) markets usually include having a good insurance history. 6 moths or a year+ of high liability limits will get you more than a spotty history with low limits.

Progressive also has a pretty lenient attitude toward tickets, whereas State Farm treats them like arsenic.

Backstop on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »

Yes, they are. Differences across state lines can be that drastic as well, which is why you have some people in forums saying "yeah that's about right" and others saying "no way, that's too low". Like housing prices, people from Ohio boggle at $2500/mo apartments and NYC people boggle at 4-bedroom houses for $150K.

Another benefit of going 100/300 on your liability limits is that's the main way into the upper tier of customer. Companies break people into markets, and the qualifiers to the better (cheaper) markets usually include having a good insurance history. 6 moths or a year+ of high liability limits will get you more than a spotty history with low limits.

Progressive also has a pretty lenient attitude toward tickets, whereas State Farm treats them like arsenic.

I dunno about Progressive's leniency, I was looking into a motorcycle plan with them, found out I have a 2 yr old speeding ticket on my record (that I had completely forgotten about), and they tossed another $500 on top of the original quote. I about shit myself when I saw the price jump.

Another insurance place said I had an accident on my record that expires at the end of March, and they ran the numbers, with the accident factored in, it about doubled the motorcycle rate I was looking at... $1600 to $3300/yr!!

Looks like I am going to be waiting a couple more weeks to buy my insurance... :p

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

State Farm is quite nice when you have no tickets, though.
    it about doubled the motorcycle rate I was looking at... $1600 to $3300/yr!!

Uh, jesus christ, what's your record like? Even your low quote is insane.

Fats on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Different companies cater to different customers. State farm will be a helluva lot cheaper once you are older, married, have a house, and a couple cars.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fats wrote: »

State Farm is quite nice when you have no tickets, though.
    it about doubled the motorcycle rate I was looking at... $1600 to $3300/yr!!

Uh, jesus christ, what's your record like? Even your low quote is insane.

The low quote included the one speeding ticket still on record. The high one was with the accident before it expires in a couple weeks.
    Without the ticket, I was looking at a $700/yr policy through Progressive for my motorcycle.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's southern California for you. I pay $286 a month for my '08 VW R32. One ticket 3 years ago, no accidents, no claims.

It's great insurance, but still.

zilo on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Motorcycle is a different product than car insurance. The rules are almost completely different, a lot of them go only by engine size, or type of bike (oldman cruiser vs rice rocket) some only go by years of experience riding, a lot of stuff that's not even a factor in cars.

Backstop on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Motorcycle is a different product than car insurance. The rules are almost completely different, a lot of them go only by engine size, or type of bike (oldman cruiser vs rice rocket) some only go by years of experience riding, a lot of stuff that's not even a factor in cars.

Yeah, years of riding experience is definately a factor in thier premiums. More years experience riding, even without an endorsement on your driver's license, greatly reduces the yearly premium.
    I inqured with Allstate thismorning in my shopping around, and they wont even insure motorcyclists who have not had thier motorcycle endorsement on the driver's license for at least 3 years. :p

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    25 female
    2010 VW Golf
    1 total loss from an accident
    1 speeding tickets in 5 years
    I have full comprehensive & collision and above the state min for under/uninsured and medical
    I pay $1300/year in Boston (parked on street)

Last year with no accident and an '05 Rav4 with similar coverage I paid $100/year.

With Amica.

In NJ I know it would be a lot more. I also know in some states it'd be less. If all of your coverage is right like you say then $50/month sounds good.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    25 Male
    I live in WV
    00 Jeep Wrangler and 09 WRX STi
    1 speeding ticket in the past 5 years.
    100/300/100 and Comprehensive on the Jeep and STi, Collision on the STi
    $1800/year with Erie. With progressive, $3600/year. With geico, $4000/year. With Amica, $2400/year.

The point is, it pays to shop around. Other than moving violations, your credit score can affect the price you are quoted for insurance so watch out for this one. Get as much liability as you can afford. Avoid collision with older vehicles, but comprehensive man be useful if you live in an area with a large amount of deer collisions or theft. Watch for insurance agents that try to add things like roadside assistance or rental coverage.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA