As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] ITT we all get behind gnomes.

• Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the first time in almost two years, I'm actually angry at WotC. Specifically, I'm angry about Psionics.

I wanted Psionics to work so badly for 4th edition. For months, I argued with naysayers that what we saw in the playtest was going to be changed, that the lower-level Psion at-wills would be nerfed so that they didn't scale quite as well as they do, and that Wizards knew what they were doing. They weren't, and now the lower-level Psion at-wills are waaaaaaaaaay better than anything else that comes along before around level 23 (and even then, they're still pretty good). The same problem exists with Ardents and Fightbrains, but it is much more pronounced with Psions.

For example, take Mind Thrust. First, imagine Righteous Brand. Old, pre-nerf Righteous Brand. You know, the Righteous Brand that WotC has branded as "too good". Now imagine that Righteous Brand can be used at range, effects all allies, stacks with other power bonuses, and works with ranged and area attacks as well as melee ones.

Once you wrap your head around that, now imagine that this Righteous Brand on cocaine is an encounter power, and as you grow in levels, rather than using other encounter powers, you have the option of gaining more uses of Righteous Brand 2.0. You start off your career at using it once per encounter, and by the time you hit level 30 you can use it 8 or 9 times. Why would you ever want to use anything else?

Jack Hobbes on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's pretty damn silly. One of the many reasons I like the Monk and dislike the other Psionic classes is that the Monk's mechanics are totally different (read: not broken).

What's funny is, once the PHB3 comes out and the CharOp forum starts making threads about crazy Psion builds, they'll get nerfed somehow. Even though they've been talking about it since the initial preview, adjustments won't happen until the class has been mainstream for six months.

Rius on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am still hell-bent on running a PBP here. I have two well-detailed ideas (I've plotted out roughly 3 adventures for each campaign). Each follows a theme (One is set in Sharn, and is noir-inspired, the other is set in PoL and is western inspired). The first one is more linear, with investigation and backstory and a cast of characters, the second is a more detailed area, expanding as the players hit the next tier to a larger area.

I just can't make maps to save my life, still. I was really excited about Zombie Nirvana Games map book coming out with detailed information.

I know I can just find maps & kind of half-ass it, but I'm a little bit of a perfectionist sometimes. I've spent a lot of time on Cartographer's Guild, and they have beautiful maps, but in each map, I'd tweak this, move that.

I'm thinking about just buying Campaign Cartographer. Does that do good urban, wilderness, and dungeon maps?

The Sharn campaign needs urban maps and subterranean maps. The PoL campaign needs small towns, frontiers, wilderness and the assorted keeps/dungeons/etc. I guess I feel like I need a map for EVERYTHING. It's not enough to say "a 3 story keep with a dungeon, where do you go?" I want a floor plan map that the players can look at.

Edit:
    I LOVE the Master Plan program for planning--I have volumnous notes in there--but the mapping program just sucks. It's tile based, which is cool, but the interface is incredibly slow & clumsy and there are no urban tiles.

streever on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I still like Malkavians actually, but I'd never go so far as to deliberately bring them back into the game in Vampire: the Requiem. Or in anything for that matter.

Malks still exist in nWoD, they're just a subset of Ventrue now. They were actually pretty interesting in the hands of the right players. I started out playing a bouncy Malk in a
    LARP
    , but I came around in time and he developed into a pretty interesting PC. Most of the players who picked them to be annoying got bored of them quickly because they got less kewl powerz than their friends who were playing Toreador or Brujah.

SlickShughes on
  • MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the first time in almost two years, I'm actually angry at WotC. Specifically, I'm angry about Psionics.

I wanted Psionics to work so badly for 4th edition. For months, I argued with naysayers that what we saw in the playtest was going to be changed, that the lower-level Psion at-wills would be nerfed so that they didn't scale quite as well as they do, and that Wizards knew what they were doing. They weren't, and now the lower-level Psion at-wills are waaaaaaaaaay better than anything else that comes along before around level 23 (and even then, they're still pretty good). The same problem exists with Ardents and Fightbrains, but it is much more pronounced with Psions.

For example, take Mind Thrust. First, imagine Righteous Brand. Old, pre-nerf Righteous Brand. You know, the Righteous Brand that WotC has branded as "too good". Now imagine that Righteous Brand can be used at range, effects all allies, stacks with other power bonuses, and works with ranged and area attacks as well as melee ones.

Once you wrap your head around that, now imagine that this Righteous Brand on cocaine is an encounter power, and as you grow in levels, rather than using other encounter powers, you have the option of gaining more uses of Righteous Brand 2.0. You start off your career at using it once per encounter, and by the time you hit level 30 you can use it 8 or 9 times. Why would you ever want to use anything else?

Wholeheartedly agree with you (see my post from the end of the last page).

The other 2 powers that really stick out is the psion one that gives the target a scaling attack penalty, and the ardent one that lets the target spend a healing surge. Also ardents get a give save throw one too.

Ardents compared to clerics bother me too - a cleric can have an at will that gives a saving throw from level one AND have cool encounter powers, where as Ardents can have an at will that gives a saving throw from level one but if they want to keep that at higher levels they can't get new powers.

Somehow they are underpowered and overpowered at the same time, and also very boooooring.

MrBeens on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Kender and Tinker Gnomes - ruined by bad players, or just outright bad?

I remember a Kender in a Dragonlance game who was actually really well done and fun to RP with. The fact that it was like a slightly less hyper Tasslehoff probably had something to do with that, though.

I'm playing a halfling rogue that's loosely modeled on Kender in general, and particularly Tasslehoff. I think he's become my favorite character that I've ever played, precisely because he doesn't disrupt the game or the party. He's a thief, he's quirky, he talks constantly, but I think I play him in a way that's fun rather than annoying. So, like most things, I think the problems with the races are more with the people playing them than with the concepts themselves. Of course the rest of my group would have to be the real judge of what I'm saying, but I think they all like Keegan too.

ravensmuse wrote: »
    On that note, is there any interest for a 2e DnD game?

I think I'm leaning towards either Spelljammer or Ravenloft, neither of which I got to run when I was younger. I know Hach is interested; anyone else?

Yes, I'll do a thread for this, but I'm just gauging interest.

Those are the two campaign settings that I've always wanted to play but never got to. Put me down as interested, with a capital Interested.

Denada on
  • ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cool. I'll make a post and see if anyone is interested. Really, if one more person says "cool" then we're good to go.

For Spelljammer I'll be making liberal (ab)use of the < 3e tendency of hacking things together to make them work; I'm thinking, eliminate some of the stupid by incorporating elements of the awesome Shadows of the Spidermoon campaign and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Ravenloft, hate to say, probably just monster hunters. Or maybe I'll do that "Trip Through The Bordello" thing I was joking about last thread.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cool. I'll make a post and see if anyone is interested. Really, if one more person says "cool" then we're good to go.

For Spelljammer I'll be making liberal (ab)use of the < 3e tendency of hacking things together to make them work; I'm thinking, eliminate some of the stupid by incorporating elements of the awesome Shadows of the Spidermoon campaign and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Ravenloft, hate to say, probably just monster hunters. Or maybe I'll do that "Trip Through The Bordello" thing I was joking about last thread.

Well you can probably make that post then.

Because I'm saying cool against my better judgement.

2E makes me want to kill myself mechanically, but Spelljammer and Ravenloft are p rad. I'd definitely at least TRY to put together a character. :lol:

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2010
    The thing of it is, we can all agree that the 2e rules were junk. And yet, in their own weird, junky sort of way, they were fun. They're fun to hack through. They're fun to think up variations for. They're just fun in general.

I know we give it a lot of shit, but still.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
    edited March 2010
    The thing of it is, we can all agree that the 2e rules were junk. And yet, in their own weird, junky sort of way, they were fun. They're fun to hack through. They're fun to think up variations for. They're just fun in general.

I know we give it a lot of shit, but still.

I really personally don't agree. They basically have no redeeming features whatsoever. The writers simply gave us fluff of such quality that we were willing to suffer through it.

Also there weren't really any superior alternatives in those days.

Fiaryn on
    edited March 2010
    Well, what days are you talking about, specifically? Shadowrun, Traveller, and Rifts, Pendrago and Ars Magica have been around since the 80s. White Wolf came out in the mid-nineties (and was the driving force behind the great fluff, really). I think Changeling was around in the last dusky days of 2e.

There were options, there just weren't people playing them! :)

ravensmuse on
    edited March 2010
    Well, what days are you talking about, specifically? Shadowrun, Traveller, and Rifts, Pendrago and Ars Magica have been around since the 80s. White Wolf came out in the mid-nineties (and was the driving force behind the great fluff, really). I think Changeling was around in the last dusky days of 2e.

There were options, there just weren't people playing them! :)

For the most part, those systems were also not very well put together systems of conflict resolution. Oh god Old World of Darkness is inconceivably broken.

The best I can say for 2E and it's peers is that they at the very least were not unplayably bad (Wraith: The Oblivion I'm looking at you) or offensively bad ("Black people have a lower Intelligence stat! Hurrrr" FATAL emot-argh.gif)

Fiaryn on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call it nostalgia, but I have some fond memories of 2E. Actually, yeah, call it nostalgia. I know the rules are terrible compared to the system we have now. Even so, they hold a certain charm for me and I think it would be fun to give them another go.

Denada on
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Charm is the right word, Denada. They have charm and character, if nothing else. If they have zero mechanical benefits - they make me smile sometimes at the stupid (or, the awesome).

Maticore on
    edited March 2010
    I mean hell, if I were to play 2E I don't think I could bring myself to play a Fighter. You'd need some kind of kit to liven it up because Kit-less Fighters in 2E are literally just "I hit it with my sword" with no variation all day long. Save for when your DM takes pity on your Fighter-ness and does something special with your flashy emotes, which you will no doubt doing constantly in the hopes of such pity.

Fiaryn on
    edited March 2010
    Aw, and here I was making a post that said no kits. Horrible, horrible system.

If I was a better system hacker, I'd almost use weapon specialization from BECMI, but it's kind of head-trippy.

I do tend to treat my fighters well though, and will sufficiently spoil them in order to keep them up with spellcasters.

ravensmuse on
    edited March 2010
    Aw, and here I was making a post that said no kits. Horrible, horrible system.

If I was a better system hacker, I'd almost use weapon specialization from BECMI, but it's kind of head-trippy.

I do tend to treat my fighters well though, and will sufficiently spoil them in order to keep them up with spellcasters.

It's not a well put together system, but on the same token it's not really anymore broken than everything else depending on which kits you're looking at.

Ultimately it matters little as long as there's something to make the more horrendously boring classes less so.

Fiaryn on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I've said numerous times that I'm pretty new to DnD. For the past few days, I've trying to come up with a good setting for my own adventure. Now, I don't want to spend a lot of money, so I'm thinking the best thing to do is to just come up with my own world that is completely separate from the DnD world. I guess this would be referred to as a campaign setting?

So, I know that I'm going to need a monster manual in order to make my own adventures, something I still don't have. Is there anything else I'm going to need in order to make this work?

Also, has anyone ever given their PCs hidden roles in a setting? I'm thinking about each of the players sitting in a tavern as all PCs meet and an NPC goes up to each one of them and discusses with them a contract. Each player will have a notecard that will be what was whispered to them and something they will keep secret from other players. I don't anticipate it being something huge like one of them being a traitor, but something that's large enough to give them a drive. Like I said, all of my players (including myself) are new to this, and I think something like this would give them something to play for rather than just trying to complete a quest mutually.

Any suggestions on these things?

If you're dead set on creating your own campaign world, then the key is to start small. If your plan is for them to meet in a tavern then go to a dungeon, then make the tavern, the town it's in, and the dungeon. Flesh it out little by little, as you play. Don't put a lot of effort into making things that they won't see or care about, because it's just going to wear you down. I used to try to create the game worlds I ran, but after running an eberron game for a while, I think I'm done with that - it's just really tiring and a lot of work, especially if you don't have a specific kind of goal for the world in mind.

If you don't have the Dungeon master's guide or the monster manual, then you definitely should pick them up. The DMG more for designing encounters, adventures, campaigns, etc., the mm so you can actually have interesting combats.

Having the pc's have hidden info from each other is interesting, but how well it works can depend on how into the game, and experience the players are. If they're all still fairly new, having the other players working at cross purposes can really annoy them. Even if they're not, just having secrets is enough to make some people not enjoy it. It's really one of those things that depends on the style people like.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2010
    @Ryadic:
    the core world is Points of Light, which requires no books of any sort--it's simply "generic" world that you can fluff however you like. I'd start with the free adventure and translate it into a world.

For $5/mo you can have DDI (Monster Builder, Character Builder, EVERY rule ever published via DDI) which is in my mind a better expenditure of money than the books.

Personally Ryadic, I really like the core philosophy of the Party as a cohesive whole. I'd be worried about doing anything that might set them at odds with each other. If you are just looking for a way to engage them and aren't focused on that idea, I'd simply have a collaborative character creation meeting first, where you make the characters BACKGROUND (not mechanics) and then do the mechanical part later.

Then take the free adventure and modify it so the characters in it have some bearing. The PC who was orphaned by a monster attack? Make the big bad guy be the monster that killed his family. The PC who had a healthy, stable upbringing? Make his parents residents of the town threatened by the big bad.

In short, have everyone create the party/characters together, and then modify your adventure to give them all a reason to be there.

streever on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ...except the Raven Queen stuff, I mean wtf she reminds me of an Orcus with boobs in some ways.

What? I'm not really getting that vibe.

Hexmage-PA on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    streever wrote: »
    @Ryadic:
    the core world is Points of Light, which requires no books of any sort--it's simply "generic" world that you can fluff however you like. I'd start with the free adventure and translate it into a world.

For $5/mo you can have DDI (Monster Builder, Character Builder, EVERY rule ever published via DDI) which is in my mind a better expenditure of money than the books.

I would like to point out that while you have the rules with DDI, you miss out on a lot of the explanatory bits and processes if you just get a DDI subscription.

You will have to buy the DMG etc if you want to be able to do meaningful things with the game. PHB 2-3 whatever and DMG 39434074 aren't necessary (I haven't bought a book since they stopped electronic distro), but I couldn't see someone running a game effectively w/o that key hard purchase.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited March 2010
    Oh, as Donuts might say, sorry, I meant you don't need any campaign/additional books beyond core, because all the races mechanics/etc are presented in there. And if you are willing to create your own world, you probably don't need the half-paragraph of fluff that the additional races/classes get.

You shouldn't need the Monster Manual, if you have the Encounter/Monster Builder (it has ALL monsters) but you should need the DMG 1 and I'd recommend 2 as well.

streever on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I mean hell, that's about as random as making bodaks a playable race (well, I guess they kind of did with the revenants, but still). What's the point?

(I'm trying my hardest to think of a race that they could have used instead, but it is six in the morning here and it is not coming to me)

Tortles or Bullywugs. There are still no playable reptilian humanoids. Shit, I'd take Lizardmen or Kobolds.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited March 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I mean hell, that's about as random as making bodaks a playable race (well, I guess they kind of did with the revenants, but still). What's the point?

(I'm trying my hardest to think of a race that they could have used instead, but it is six in the morning here and it is not coming to me)

Tortles or Bullywugs. There are still no playable reptilian humanoids. Shit, I'd take Lizardmen or Kobolds.

I classify Dragonborn as lizards :)

streever on
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone else noticed that 4E tieflings look more devilish than most 4E devils? Most of the 4E devils have horns much smaller than those of tiefllings.

Hexmage-PA on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

But Dragons are intelligent. Turtles and frogs and lizards and...whatever reptile spawned kobolds aren't. Also, don't make me grasp at straws, you wanker.

Pinfeldorf on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I'd like to see a Playing Races: Kenkus article.

Cause let's face it, we don't have any solid avian PC races in 4th Ed. (with the exception of said Kenkus in the MM2 book as a monster race).

And if Wizards can give a full write up to crystal and plant humanoids, why not Kenkus?

TiamatZ on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

But Dragons are intelligent. Turtles and frogs and lizards and...whatever reptile spawned kobolds aren't. Also, don't make me grasp at straws, you wanker.
    Aren't Kobolds dragon-linked now?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kenkus definitely deserve a proper player race treatment. They're probably the most popular monster race I've seen used and yet their racial features are a little anemic.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2010
    To those with the PHB3;

Minotaurs can be Wis/Con or Str/Con? That makes them pretty great at the Battlemind class, right?

Are we going to see hordes of psychic cows?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    To those with the PHB3;

Minotaurs can be Wis/Con or Str/Con? That makes them pretty great at the Battlemind class, right?

amazon.com wrote:
    Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Mar. 16, 2010.

How are these people having the PHB now? o_O

link

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    To those with the PHB3;

amazon.com wrote:
    Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Mar. 16, 2010.

How are these people having the PHB now? o_O

link

I dunno, but my FLGS had about 6 or 7 copies just lying around, waiting to be bought.

tzeentchling on
    edited March 2010
    I keep checking all the local suspects where I've typically gotten this sort of thing early, and all are tightly clinging to the street date this time.

It's kind of frustrating, since I'm usually one of the first to get any given book.

OptimusZed on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My FLGS is getting all their D&D books two weeks before street date from Wizards now, is how.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2010
    I just found out that one of the oldest Dragon magazine articles had rules for a "hobbit's pipe" complete with "pipeweed of stoning".

It turns those caught in the smoke to stone, of course.

Hexmage-PA on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are a number of local game stores across the US which have been given the 'Premier D&D Store' status by Wizards of the Coast, chiefly due to the number of books they've sold and the amount of events and Delve Night previews they've participated in.

My store got their order of PHB3 in last Thursday.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just found out that one of the oldest Dragon magazine articles had rules for a "hobbit's pipe" complete with "pipeweed of stoning".

Sounds like something my Dwarf would love.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2010
    Blinding Invocation of Chains + Combat Challenge.

I can mark all of them. ALL OF THEM. mwahahahahaha

OptimusZed on

edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Sounds like something my Dwarf would love.

Here's a rough sketch of possible pipeweed powers:

Pipe of Smoking - As a daily power, you may take a long draw on this pipe as a standard action and create a ring of smoke around you. You and any adjacent allies gain partial concealment. Enemies that enter a smoke-filled space suffer an attack against their Fortitude; on a hit, the enemy is dazed until the end of its next turn. The smoke remains in these spaces until the end of your next turn.

Pipe of Stoning - As an encounter power, you may take a draw from this pipe as a minor action. You are slowed and gain resist 5 damage until the end of your next turn. As a daily power, you may take a long draw on this pipe as a standard action. You are slowed (save ends), but you also create a puff of smoke. This smoke has a range of 5 and targets an enemy's Fortitude. On a hit, the target becomes slowed (save ends). If it fails its first saving throw, it instead becomes immobilized (save ends). If it fails the next saving throw, the target is petrified.

Hexmage-PA on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ...except the Raven Queen stuff, I mean wtf she reminds me of an Orcus with boobs in some ways.

What? I'm not really getting that vibe.

She gets progressively more evil in the Dragon CD articles, for example trying to take the souls of other gods and she is implied to be potentially the most powerful god - if she could figure out how to nick the other gods followers souls.
    Fiaryn wrote:
    I mean hell, if I were to play 2E I don't think I could bring myself to play a Fighter. You'd need some kind of kit to liven it up because Kit-less Fighters in 2E are literally just "I hit it with my sword" with no variation all day long. Save for when your DM takes pity on your Fighter-ness and does something special with your flashy emotes, which you will no doubt doing constantly in the hopes of such pity.

I find that 2E is alright actually - mostly because it is supported by its own brand of extremely zany logic that seems to work (I don't know why, but it does). For example, compared with 3.x a spellcaster is still broken but at least some of the rules about casting higher level spells (aging you, taking an entire couple of rounds to cast and such forth) give other characters time to react and attack. Given you lose a spell if you're hit, that actually does help (but not fix) the massive discrepancy in power between a wizard and everyone else. This only became broken in 2E and was by default in 3E due to the addition of new spells like protection from magic projectiles, protection from normal weapons and the "concentration" skill that let you keep spells if you were hit.

With the exception of the way it handles THACO and AC, I don't mind the simplicity of 2E and I will definitely say I would play 2E before I'd ever play 3E. In saying this, I mean a more base 2E before the later supplements that really cranked spellcasters power up to beyond everyone else. Until those, I always felt that 2E had a kind of delightful zany logic that kept things - while not balanced by any means - at least counterable.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.