As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brand new artist.

PhasmophobiaPhasmophobia Registered User new member
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
Well, I'm in a bit of a rut in my life so I decided to do something I've always wanted to but was too afraid to do because of failing. Anyway, aside from stick-men and random doodles I've only been trying to draw serious for two weeks.. I'm only posting these so I can get advice to better myself (I know they suck). I'm also wondering if I have any sort of potential?

Oh, all these were done with an expo marker because it's all I have. O_o;

Thanks for any input in advance guys. I'm ready to get cut down.

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Phasmophobia on

• Options
    Publius Aelius HadrianusPublius Aelius Hadrianus Permanently bland Seattle, Washington Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Keep practicing. Study anatomy. Patience!

Publius Aelius Hadrianus on
    2dk9ta8.gif
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    *spent ages writing a long post, then mozilla crashed :(

I think youre on the right track so far. Because youve never drawn before, at this point i recommend you continue doing what you're doing. Draw what you want to draw, experiment with different techniques/mediums and HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!!
    Fun is the most important part of drawing. At the end of the day, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. The most important thing is whether you're happy with what you're drawing.
    So yeah, keep doing this, keep having fun.

Once you've been doing this for a while, and if you reach the point where you want to learn to become a better skilled artist, then post some work for critique.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey welcome. Your first step at the moment is to unlearn what you know about drawing. We become conditioned to look at objects as symbols, meaning you have these stock tools on how to draw something that you fall back on. You know how to draw an eye, an ear, a nose, a mouth and then you arrange those on an oval and you have a face. What you really need to do is learn how to observe an object how it really is rather than how your brain tells you it is. Like how your drawing eyes in a football shaped symbol, when they are a sphere inside a socket. You may not be able to tell the difference yet, but the subtleties are there and make a big difference to what comes out on paper.

Anyway good luck and while having fun is great, do try to analyse where your failings are and try to improve on them.

Mustang on