As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

what's the verdict on wrist guards

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
i was wondering about the verdict on whether or not wrist guards are effective

i wear them for snowboarding and sometimes other activities, but someone i know recently broke the fuck out of her elbow, and apparently that was made worse because the wrist guards she was wearing transferred the force of impact up her arm to there and made things worse

and there is definitely some controversy while googling as to whether or not they are a good idea

for now i am still wearing them, just because the wrist seems like such a fragile and complicated thing to mess up, but i was curious what others thought/have heard

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would recommend learning how to fall- that will help you more than wristguards alone.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Skiing is superior 8-)

No but seriously, wrist injuries usually happen in snowboarding if you fuck up your bail. One of the most important things to learn is how to bail under control, either on skis or boards. That's the first thing I teach a client on skis after putting them on and taking them off, how to fall.

Robman on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    fair enough, though i've been riding for a few years so i know the principles of falling correctly... i just figure what's the harm in extra protection :p

i was actually even wearing knee pads this weekend as a precaution since i was getting over a knee injury, and they didn't hinder me that much so i figure i might wear them all the time... especially because a friend of mine this weekend shattered her kneecap on a tree skiing!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was under the impression that wrist guards are for your first week or so, then not needed. Basically for that learning period where you fall awkwardly all day on your hands. If you've been riding for years I'm not sure you'll be having the kind of falls where wrist guards will help, plus you'll be a lot better at controlling your fall. I did hear about a guy who broke some ribs or something by falling onto his wrist guards. I'm at about the same experience level as you and I definitely wouldn't use them. Am thinking about getting a helmet though...

virgilsamms on
    edited March 2010
    Fair enough. Though I might add that a helmet is the one thing that is a must. That is one thing one should not fuck around with, because even a light fall could mess you up. Pretty much everyone in my ski/snowboard club at school wears one, and they were hounding some guy to buy one the other week. A friend of mine got in a ski accident a few years back where he landed on his back, not doing anything crazy, and hit his head so hard his helmet dented... basically he would've died or gotten pretty messed up without it.

But what you said about wrist guards seems fairly reasonable.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wrist guards are meant to reduce the injury risk to your hands and wrists, and to a lesser extent your forearms. Some studies say that wrist guards might increase the risk of injury to your elbow, upper arms, or shoulder. This makes sense - just like in your friend's case, impact force is transferred to the upper parts of the arms when you are wearing the wrist guards.

The question is, which is worse: an injury to your wrist or hand, or an injury to your elbow or arm? Personally I think the former is worse (in terms of long-term effects those injuries can have) so I would wear wrist guards.

If your friend landed on her arms with enough force to break her elbow, had she not had the wrist guards on she probably would have broken her wrist. It's much more fragile.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah anyone who doesn't wear a helmet skiing or boarding is a fucking idiot.

I say that loudly and proudly, but the old wise men of the ski school zip around just wearing sunglasses regardless of the temperature or conditions.

Robman on
  • VenochVenoch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno how useful this would be but I suggest doing wrist curls 3 times a week, 15 reps x3 in a progressive load of weight (though you can't go too high with such an excercise, I do 50-60 pounds or so). This will really increase wrist strength.

Venoch on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Wrist guards are meant to reduce the injury risk to your hands and wrists, and to a lesser extent your forearms. Some studies say that wrist guards might increase the risk of injury to your elbow, upper arms, or shoulder. This makes sense - just like in your friend's case, impact force is transferred to the upper parts of the arms when you are wearing the wrist guards.

The question is, which is worse: an injury to your wrist or hand, or an injury to your elbow or arm? Personally I think the former is worse (in terms of long-term effects those injuries can have) so I would wear wrist guards.

If your friend landed on her arms with enough force to break her elbow, had she not had the wrist guards on she probably would have broken her wrist. It's much more fragile.

Breaking your elbow, upper arm, or shoulder, while it sucks, is SO much better than breaking your wrist. Not only are the bones much smaller, your hand and wrist is used for much finer and precise movement. Breaking anything sucks, but you want to make sure that what ends up broken (if something's gonna break) isn't something that reduces your quality of life for the rest of your life. Permanently reducing your hand dexterity is bad.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited March 2010
    So I guess keep on doing what I've been doing then.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo